The FANtasia thing: I don't get it...

J. Perry

Nov 27, 2004, 10:59:48 PM11/27/04
After making a concerted effort to be extremely open-minded about the
hysteria that surrounds American Idol winner Fantasia, I can truthfully say
that I simply cannot understand how certain people predict this girl to be
the next Aretha Franklin or Mary J. Blige. I just can't get into her
performing style at all. Power to her for winning the AI competition last
year, and I do wish her the best in her life. I just won't be purchasing any
of her CDs...

J. Perry

A Adams

Nov 27, 2004, 11:05:27 PM11/27/04

"J. Perry" <j_p...@musicians.net> wrote in message

Me either. It's a sin to compare her to those two ladies.

Buttercup

Nov 27, 2004, 11:19:32 PM11/27/04
>From: "J. Perry" j_p...@musicians.net

> I simply cannot understand how certain people predict this girl to be the
next Aretha Franklin <<<<<

I just heard a loud thud as the room rattled.
Aretha Franklin just fainted being compared
to Fantasia.

(`*·.¸(`*·.¸¸.·*´)¸.·*´)
«´¨ `Buttercup ´¨`»
(¸.·'´`(¸*·'´'·.*`)`'·. ¸)

How do you like them apples?

Are you happy now?

Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Gooserider

Nov 28, 2004, 12:23:40 AM11/28/04

"J. Perry" <j_p...@musicians.net> wrote in message

The absolute failure of the last two AI winners to generate substantial
interest makes me wonder if the consipracy theorists aren't correct. Could
the show be a fix? It seems that Clay Aiken has sold a LOT more CDs than
Ruben Studdard, which doesn't make sense if Ruben had such a large built in
fanbase.

Lady Chatterly

Nov 28, 2004, 1:26:10 AM11/28/04

It is an idea.

--
Lady Chatterly

"Ying personifies a bot humper." -- Kali

jennifer

Nov 28, 2004, 9:07:57 AM11/28/04

There's hysteria surrounding her? I barely hear any buzz about her.
Personally, I think she usually starts out fine, but ends up screeching,
singing out of key, and turning every lyric into "Yeah, yeah, yeah!" which is
highly annoying. And the picture on her CD skeeves me out.

I'm a huge Clay fan, love Ruben's voice, and have become quite a fan of
Kelly's, as well. Fantasia just leaves me feeling meh. Nothing will ever top
the excitement of Season 2, and no matter how hard AI will try to convince us
that each new season will bring us the "best idol evah!" (their take on
Fantasia....until this season starts, that is) I'm not buying it. AI is a
stepping stone. It's what the singers do *after* the show ends, that counts.

I think Fantasia's CD numbers will be good, and I'm sure she'll find success,
but I simply can't handle the "yeah, yeah, yeah" factor. So put me in the "I
don't get it camp," too.

jennifer

robbielynn

Nov 28, 2004, 10:14:26 AM11/28/04
"Gooserider" <no...@mousepotato.com> wrote in message news:<whdqd.45058$Oc....@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>...

Uhh, the voting was rigged on that one! Aiken fans could not get thru, the
Studdard fans could vote. Must be those voting machines.

MyRomanHoliday

Nov 28, 2004, 10:43:22 AM11/28/04
Frankly, I don't see any hysteria surrounding Fantasia. AI is trying to push
her down our throats, but there is hardly any interest. Hard-sell tactics
failed with Ruben, and they are failing with Fantasia.

>Subject: The FANtasia thing: I don't get it...
>From: "J. Perry" j_p...@musicians.net
>Date: 11/27/2004 10:59 PM Eastern Standard Time

Roxyscary

Nov 28, 2004, 11:29:44 AM11/28/04
<<Frankly, I don't see any hysteria surrounding Fantasia. AI is trying to push
her down our throats, but there is hardly any interest. Hard-sell tactics
failed with Ruben, and they are failing with Fantasia. >>

Seeing that she has the Billboards highest selling single of the year, at #1
the most consecutive week, I think its incorrect to say that Fantasia is
failing.

I personally love Fantasia. And her new cd is great! I hope it does well on the
charts!

mar...@historica.ac

Nov 28, 2004, 12:29:24 PM11/28/04

>> The absolute failure of the last two AI winners to generate substantial
>> interest makes me wonder if the consipracy theorists aren't correct. Could
>> the show be a fix? It seems that Clay Aiken has sold a LOT more CDs than
>> Ruben Studdard, which doesn't make sense if Ruben had such a large built in
>> fanbase.
>
>Uhh, the voting was rigged on that one! Aiken fans could not get thru, the
>Studdard fans could vote. Must be those voting machines.

Ruben's mom said she was able to vote 200 times for Ruben, but most
Clay fans couldn't vote at all.

I thought last year was terrible. It seemed to me that they wanted
Fantasia from day 1, and the other contestants where chosen to make
her sound better.

All the contestants on season 2 were talented, even Vanessa and Corey
had lovely voices. And they could all harmonize right from the start.
In season 3 the few group songs they could manage were dreadful. Ick.

Wonder whom they've pre-selected this year?

Marilyn

Bigolhomo

Nov 28, 2004, 2:18:17 PM11/28/04
On 28 Nov 2004 16:29:44 GMT, roxy...@aol.com (Roxyscary) wrote:

>Seeing that she has the Billboards highest selling single of the year, at #1
>the most consecutive week, I think its incorrect to say that Fantasia is
>failing.

Seeing that the single is pretty much a dead format in the US it's a
dubious accomplishment at best. It would be comparable to having the
biggest selling 8 track album of 1981.

The true measure of her success will be revealed on Wednesday when we
see how her album does on the Billboard charts.

--

Bigolhomo

Smoot

Nov 28, 2004, 10:23:22 PM11/28/04
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:23:40 GMT, "Gooserider" <no...@mousepotato.com>
wrote:

It's one thing to make a phone call and another to shell out the price
of a cd. Maybe those who liked Clay best liked him a lot more
fervently than the greater number who preferred Ruben. Or maybe his
fans were more likely to be cd buyers than the average American Idol
viewer. Perhaps most viewers of the show don't necessarily care to buy
the music made by any of the contestants despite rooting for certain
ones to win.

One of my sisters and her family enjoyed the show back then and she
and her family voted for Ruben because they thought he had the best
voice that season. But her kids only buy rock and rap and my sister
listens mostly to what her kids buy. They wanted Ruben to win out of
all the AI contestants that season, but they didn't want to play his
cds. (Or those of any other contestant.)

Rebecca

Grace Noble

Nov 28, 2004, 11:52:41 PM11/28/04

"Roxyscary" <roxy...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I personally love Fantasia. And her new cd is great! I hope it does well
> on the
> charts!

I don't dislike her singing voice, but I'd rather listen to her than watch
her. She constantly looks as if she is about to take a HUGE dump whenever
she is singing. She crouches down on the stage and twists her mouth like she
is in dire need of an enema.

Shannon

Nov 30, 2004, 12:14:44 AM11/30/04
"J. Perry" <j_p...@musicians.net> wrote in message news:<10qij9p...@corp.supernews.com>...

I picked Fantasia from the beginning as my favorite (previously picked
Kelly and Clay as favorites) but have noticed that people either seem
to love or hate her voice. I think song selection is key especially
with her and if they could find something she could perform as well as
"Summertime" she would be very successful.