Announce: v3.4 Family Tree Maker for Windows

Paul Burchfield

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features

October 10, 1996, Fremont, CA--Since Family Tree Maker(TM) was first
released over six years ago, the number of people tracing their family
trees has increased dramatically. Over 900,000 copies of Family Tree
Maker have been sold, and thousands of new users are becoming
increasingly involved in genealogy. Version 3.4 of Family Tree Maker
moves toward meeting the needs of this knowledgeable market with three
popular genealogy reports, plus advanced Internet features for
information-sharing.

New report formats for experienced genealogists

Family Tree Maker now produces three new genealogy reports
automatically. These popular reports have been used by genealogy
societies for years because they enable you to include an immense amount
of information in a concise format. Now, you can create detailed
summaries of your family history--including stories, vital information,
notes, and sources--with only a mouse click.

NGS "Modified" Register Reports (used by the National Genealogical
Society) and NEHGS Register Reports (used by the New England Historic
Genealogical Society) are descendant-ordered. The Ahnentafel Report,
which is ancestor-ordered, is not used as frequently as the other two
formats for formal presentations of pedigree because it records two
family lines in the same report.

Search for Your Relatives on Family Tree Maker Online--FREE

Family Tree Maker Online--located at www.familytreemaker.com--helps
genealogists find their ancestors with free, unlimited searching of the
FamilyFinder Index. Rather than using Internet search engines to try to
uncover a useful tidbit of information from among thousands of supposed
"hits" scattered across the Internet, you can search the FamilyFinder
Index. This Index of 115 million individuals instantly tells you which
historical records include information about your relatives. It
references hundreds of important genealogical resources, ranging from
Social Security Death Benefits Records to Census Indexes to World Family
Tree compilations, which are included in Family Tree Maker’s Family
Archive CD collection. You can also search this Index on your Family
Tree Maker CD-ROM, but the Internet version will be updated more
frequently to include the names from additional records as new CDs are
released.

Virtual Community of Genealogy Enthusiasts at www.familytreemaker.com

For years, genealogists have relied upon classified ads to find other
people with information on a specific family line or knowledge on a
certain location or topic. With thousands of those people accessing
Family Tree Maker Online every day, both browsing and performing
detailed name searches, you’ll likely get help from someone. Or, you
may be able to answer a classified and share your expertise! Family Tree
Maker version 3.4 owners can post free, unlimited ads (that will run
until 1998).

Post your own home page with information on your family or research,
plus your family tree--just fill out an online form with the details,
choose your preferred style, attach a report or family tree, and Family
Tree Maker version 3.4 will do the rest!

Genealogy message boards, exclusively for Family Tree Maker 3.4 users,
offer the perfect forum to share research tips, techniques, questions,
and ideas for FREE. Message boards offer one of the best ways to tap
into the collective experience of thousands of family history
enthusiasts. Topics range from using Family Tree Maker to doing
research in Europe to general genealogy hints.

You can now search Family Tree Maker Online to find all occurrences of
a name throughout the site (excluding the FamilyFinder Index, which uses
a different search engine). For example, you might search on a name and
find classifieds from someone else searching that name, a user home page
that includes that person, or posts on the message boards about that
family. You’ll be able to search the new areas--classified ads,
genealogy message boards, user home pages--plus, the "editorial" content
of the entire site, with topics like Tracing your Family’s Medical
History or Using the National Archives.

Includes All the Popular Family Tree Maker Features

Helps you find your ancestors fast with the FamilyFinder Index, plus a
collection of 60+ Family Archive CDs with the World Family Tree and
historical records.

Stores names, dates, numerous facts, source information, notes, and
stories.

Brings memories to life with a multimedia scrapbook, including photos
and video clips.

Prints the widest variety of beautiful trees with facts and photos, plus
your own customized styles.

System Requirements, Pricing, and Availability

Family Tree Maker version 3.4 will be available in October 1996.
Customers can order the product by calling 1-800-474-8696 or
415-382-4770, or visiting the web site at www.familytreemaker.com.
Registered users will be sent an upgrade letter. Additionally, the
upgrade notification will be posted electronically.

System requirements are: Windows 95 or Windows 3.1 running in enhanced
mode; 386 (486 or higher recommended) IBM PC or compatible; 4 MB of
RAM (8 MB highly recommended); VGA display running in at least 16
colors; Microsoft-compatible mouse; 10 MB free hard disk space.
Optional: CD-ROM drive (for Family Archive CDs); modem (for access to
Family Tree Maker Online); Windows-compatible printer or plotter; video
capture board and sound board; scanner.
--

Sincerely,
Paul Burchfield visit our Web Site:

jktho...@earthlink.com

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96
to Paul Burchfield

Paul Burchfield wrote:

> Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features
>
> October 10, 1996, Fremont, CA--Since Family Tree Maker(TM)

Paul - as you well know - soc.genealogy.marketplace is the one and only
NG where adverts are permitted. Since you haven't asked permission, I
suppose you'll now ask for forgiveness. Interestingly, I see that you
still don't think enough of your World Family Tree CD ROM's to supply a
decent search engine for them.

Jim and Helen Couch

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96

paul_bu...@broder.com (Paul Burchfield) wrote:

:>Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features

(remainder snipped)

Paul,
Does the new version produce a cascading pedigree chart?
Thanks,

Helen
--
Helen Couch, Atlanta GA
ge...@mindspring.com

Donna Suarez

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96

What I find laughable about FTM is that Broderbund keeps putting out these
new versions with little changes for the obvious purpose of getting the
same people to continue to purchase upgrades. Talk about milking the
customer!

I use Brother's Keeper for Windows for many reasons but one of the most
important is the the creators of that program deal with their customers
with integrity.

Donna Suarez
My webpage is at http://www.cts.users.com/sd/d/dsuarez

jktho...@earthlink.com wrote in article <325DCB...@earthlink.com>...

> Paul Burchfield wrote:
> >
> > Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features
> >
> > October 10, 1996, Fremont, CA--Since Family Tree Maker(TM)

Paul Trim

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96

Paul Burchfield wrote:

> Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features

Alas poor me. I too was duped into buying the last update which held
nothing more that the CD lookups for the SS# and World Family Tree 1,
2. There was no improved functionality and I could not return the
package. $89 US was an expensive mistake when you are out of work.

Sounds like the next update is to what is on the internet not what is in
the box. If you are moving this way okay, but, be honest, we are paying
for internet development not what we put on our PC.

Chuck

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

Howdy,

What I find laughable is the way some folks who don't like FTM feel
such a need to keep slamming it. If you don't like it don't use it and
you won't be, to use your terminology, getting milked. There are
several genealogy software packages floating around out there that I
don't particularly care for .... but I don't slam any of them. Unless
you get a certain enjoyment out of, to use your terminology, "getting
milked" then suck up your udder and go on about your grazing.

cws

Geoff Walker

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

In article <MPG.cc6ef48f...@news.broder.com>, Paul Burchfield
<paul_bu...@broder.com> writes

>Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features

Is the new version being released into the UK at the same time?

--
Geoff Walker

Paul Burchfield

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

In article <I4jRcAA+...@innotts.co.uk>, geo...@innotts.co.uk says...

> In article <MPG.cc6ef48f...@news.broder.com>, Paul Burchfield
> <paul_bu...@broder.com> writes
> >Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features
> >

> Is the new version being released into the UK at the same time?
>
> --
> Geoff Walker

We'll ship the UK some as soon as we can. It is just now beginning to
ship from the US and I assume the UK will receive their supply shortly.
If you place an order or upgrade through the Web site, it will be
fulfilled from here and may arrive sooner than if you wait for its
arrival in the UK..

Paul Burchfield

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

In article <325EC8...@concentric.net>, paul...@concentric.net
says...

> Paul Burchfield wrote:
> >
> > Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features
> >
> Alas poor me. I too was duped into buying the last update which held
> nothing more that the CD lookups for the SS# and World Family Tree 1,
> 2. There was no improved functionality and I could not return the
> package. $89 US was an expensive mistake when you are out of work.
>
> Sounds like the next update is to what is on the internet not what is in
> the box. If you are moving this way okay, but, be honest, we are paying
> for internet development not what we put on our PC.

Which update was that? It sounds as if you are describing the "Starter
Bundle" which did include the two-disc Social Security Death Benefits
Index Records as well as WFT CDs 1 & 2. Did you buy just the "Starter
Bundle" or Family Tree Maker Deluxe Edition II (which included the latest
version of Family Tree Maker plus the Starter Bundle)? From whom did you
buy this and what was the previous version you had? As for returning it,
we have a 90-day money-back guarantee on all of our products. Who did you
contact regarding returning what you bought?

Version 3.4 adds the new genealogy reports which have been very
frequently requested as well as the new options available online which
are exclusive to Family Tree Maker 3.4 users.

John

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96
to Geoff Walker

Geoff Walker wrote:

> In article <MPG.cc6ef48f...@news.broder.com>, Paul Burchfield
> <paul_bu...@broder.com> writes
> >Family Tree Maker 3.4 Offers Register Reports and Expanded Web Features
> >

> Is the new version being released into the UK at the same time?
>
> --
> Geoff Walker
Aside from the software mentioned, can anyone possibly know other
Family Tree Maker for windows and where to get them?

Ruby Simonson McNeill

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96
to paul_bu...@broder.com

Paul:

I've enjoyed FTM almost since its beginnings and the updates as well.
You may know (or ask Claire about QUAKER QUERIES) of my QQ publication.
Which brings up my question - is it possible to allow us to use our own
dating, i.e. 12th day, 6th month, 1782 (or similar dating) for Quaker
records. It is difficult for Quaker researchers, including me, to use
dating other than what we find in the records.

Also, inasmuch as you allow us to put in abt with it then using ca., how
about allowing us the option of typing in ca.? Really interested in
your thoughts.