GEDCOM from Family Tree Maker

Jeroen Keuning

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

Hello All,

Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to
the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me
pretty desparate.

Please help me,

Jeroen Keuning (keu...@win.tue.nl)

Clifford H. Decker, Jr.

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96
to Jeroen Keuning

Jeroen Keuning wrote:
> I dont know but if you find out please let me know as I have the same
problem
clifford decker

Mary E. Leek

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning) wrote:

:: Hello All,

:: Please help me,

:: Jeroen Keuning (keu...@win.tue.nl)

It would help to know what version of FTM you're using and if it's Windows or
Dos.

Doug & Carol Dickinson

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Assuming you are using version 3, the instructions are on page 359 of
your manual.

If you are using version 2, the instructions are on page 345 of your
manual.

Ryan Keil

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning) wrote:

>Hello All,

>Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to
>the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me
>pretty desparate.

>Please help me,

>Jeroen Keuning (keu...@win.tue.nl

For Win95.......
In FTM, Click on File; click on Copy/Export. At the bottom of the
dialog box, select the "Save as Type" using the down-arrow and choose
GEDCOM (*.GED). Above that, enter the "File Name". Be sure you have
selected the drive and path to which you wish to export. NOTE: FTM
will only create a new GED....it will not write over a previous file
of the same name you are trying to use.

Next, click on Save. This opens another dialog box. Unless you know
that you need to use another format, select PAF for "Destination",
Version 5 for "GEDCOM" and ANSI for "Character Set". Then click on
"Fields to Export" which brings up yet another dialog box. There is a
basic set of data that is already selected, plus 'standard' data with
the 'standard' field assignments. Verfiy that these are correct, or
modify to suit your needs. Click OK. Click OK again and the export
will be started.

HTH
Kip Keil
keilk...@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5051/frameset.html

ryan...@m.cc.utah.edu

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

From: ryan...@m.cc.utah.edu (Ryan Keil)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:15:44 GMT

Patti Thompson

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning) wrote:

>Hello All,

>Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to
>the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me
>pretty desparate.

>Please help me,

>Jeroen Keuning (keu...@win.tue.nl)
I think Family Tree Maker has a utility that does it for you. Check
your help file.

east...@sound.net

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

I am also interested in the answer - I have a gedcom file from FTM -
windows. Please email to east...@sound.net
thanks.

Mary...@worldnet.att.net (Mary E. Leek) wrote:

>keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning) wrote:

>:: Hello All,

>:: Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to
>:: the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me
>:: pretty desparate.

>:: Please help me,

>:: Jeroen Keuning (keu...@win.tue.nl)

>It would help to know what version of FTM you're using and if it's Windows or
>Dos.

Wayne League

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning) wrote:

>:: Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to
>:: the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me
>:: pretty desparate.

Family Tree Maker converts its own data files to GEDCOM and its manual
gives a much more detailed explanation of how to do this than anyone
could write here.

Wayne League

James Gilbert

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

-> From: keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning)
-> Subject: GEDCOM from Family Tree Maker
->
-> Hello All,
->
-> Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to
-> the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me
-> pretty desparate.
->
-> Please help me,
->
-> Jeroen Keuning (keu...@win.tue.nl)
Its simple, (if I am abit wrong I am working from memory), refer to
your manual for help, try looking in the index under GEDCOM or SAVING
AS GEDCOM or something simular...
******
Go to the FILE menu,
Select SAVE AS:
If memory serves the lower portion of the sub-menu should include
something like "Select type
hit the arrow, then select GEDCOM. PAF is also listed with some other
formats...
Jim

james....@lvcg.org

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

From: james....@lvcg.org (James Gilbert)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 07:35:52 GMT

Ann K. Keiper-Smith

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

Its actually pretty easy. Just go to copy/export and select the gedcom
extension to save your ftw files to ged. The other direction...click open
and then select the .ged extension.

--
Ann K. Keiper-Smith
an...@paonline.com

Patti Thompson <pl...@hal-pc.org> wrote in article
<5250kt$k...@news.hal-pc.org>...

> keu...@win.tue.nl (Jeroen Keuning) wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
>

> >Does anybody know how to convert a datafile from Family Tree Maker to

> >the GEDCOM format? Having a datafile with approx. 1400 names makes me

Patti Thompson

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

Gee...I think even I could do that! And all this time I haven't sent
my GEDCOM files in to Everton through FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN! Thanks!

John Benton

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

From: "John Benton" <John....@alf.mts.dec.com>
Date: 1 Oct 1996 01:02:26 GMT

In the current version of Family Tree Maker for Windows (3.01) you use the
FILE menu and select COPY/EXPORT. Then select GEDCOM as the file type you
want to save.

Hope this helps!
john

.
--
|Fidonet: "John Benton" 1:209/10
|Internet: "John.Benton".@"John.Benton".@*user@*site.*mysite.*domain.si-star2.si-star.com.si-star2.si-star.com

John Benton

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

Paul Burchfield

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

In article <7e6_960...@genesplicer.org>, ryan...@m.cc.utah.edu
says...

> For Win95.......
> In FTM, Click on File; click on Copy/Export. At the bottom of the
> dialog box, select the "Save as Type" using the down-arrow and choose
> GEDCOM (*.GED). Above that, enter the "File Name". Be sure you have
> selected the drive and path to which you wish to export. NOTE: FTM
> will only create a new GED....it will not write over a previous file
> of the same name you are trying to use.
<rest snipped>

This was a good walk through of creating a GEDCOM file from Family Tree
Maker for Windows. The one clarification I'd like to make is that you can
overwrite an existing GEDCOM file. To do so, you must have allowed
replacing files from the Prefs | Startup menu.
--

Sincerely,
Paul Burchfield visit our Web Site:

Paul Burchfield

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

From: paul_bu...@broder.com (Paul Burchfield)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:33:53 -0700

--
|Fidonet: Paul Burchfield 1:209/10
|Internet: Paul.Bu...@Paul.Burchfield@*user@*site.*mysite.*domain.si-star2.si-star.com.si-star2.si-star.com

Virginia E Hench

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

Paul Burchfield (paul_bu...@broder.com) wrote:
: overwrite an existing GEDCOM file. To do so, you must have allowed
: replacing files from the Prefs | Startup menu.
: --

: Sincerely,
: Paul Burchfield

OK - Now could someone please explain how to do it from the
FTM-DOS? Thanks. Ginny

Paul Burchfield

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

In article <5340t2$1...@news.Hawaii.Edu>, he...@Hawaii.Edu says...

Ginny,

Exporting from Family Tree Maker for DOS uses the Data Exchange Utility.
The DEU ships with Family Tree Maker version 3 and 4 for DOS. It had to
be purchased separately for earlier versions.

You start it by typing in EXCHANGE from the directory which contains
Family Tree Maker. Once started you simply follow the on screen prompts.
If you have versions 3 or 4, there are instructions in the manual.

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance.

A. Paul Merola

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97