Magic and Mayhem

1 view

Ben Robinson

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
to alt.games.x-com
I see no mention of the new Gollop game, Magic and Mayhem here. It's been
getting cracking reviews and is out next week in the UK.

Has anyone played the demo? Or the full game? It looks superb, a worthy
successor to the XCom isometric games.

Any thoughts?

Ben
--
Please reply to Ben<at>xcom.co.uk or Ben<at>sharkey.demon.co.uk

http://www.sharkey.demon.co.uk/blood

Jef

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
The demo looks kinda nice. Good concept. The levels in the demo are rather
easy though. I must admit, I've only played it apprentice-style, but that
shouldn't have to mean you can complete a level by just walking through it.
A bit more of a challenge would 've been nice. Great game nevertheless.

Jef

Ben Robinson heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Andrew R. Gillett

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In alt.games.x-com, article <XCM662...@xcom.co.uk>, Ben Robinson
(Fuck.Ar...@This.is.Hell) wrote:
> I see no mention of the new Gollop game, Magic and Mayhem here. It's been
> getting cracking reviews and is out next week in the UK.

I posted my opinions about it here several weeks ago, when I got the
demo.

> Has anyone played the demo? Or the full game? It looks superb, a worthy
> successor to the XCom isometric games.

Nope. It doesn't even come close to being a worthy successor. For more
info, read my original post about this (you might have to use Dejanews to

Andrew Gillett
http://argnet.fatal-design.com/
ICQ: 12142937

Andrew R. Gillett

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

Jef

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Maybe a dumb question, but hey... What's Dejanews? I've seen it being
mentioned before, but I never heard of it elsewhere before.

Andrew R. Gillett heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Detonate

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Follow this link Jef and all will be revealed...

http://x5.dejanews.com/=infoseek/dnquery.xp?query=alt.games.x-com

--
Detonate

Midway React - Coming soon...

XCOM6 idea's mail to : inter...@microprose.com

Jef

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
hehe, pretty neat. tnx.

Detonate heeft geschreven in bericht
<910779939.3228.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...

Julian Gollop

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
We have just burned the master disk for "Magic & Mayhem" and it should
be on sale in europe by the end of November. A US release date should
be announced shortly.

It is certainly not a fantasy version of X-Com, but it has plenty of
strategy. The AI is considerably more advanced than X-Com and plays a
mean game (the demo has an older, less capable AI).

The four difficulty settings are designed to cope with players of
varying ability, ages and experience. We have had 7 year olds play the
game quite happily on the initiate level (where the AI is 60% random).
However, on 'wizard' level you can be assured that you will get a
really tough challenge. It may seem that the game is action oriented,
but a lot of the strategy comes from the choice of spells taken into
battle. This quickly becomes very important in the campaign game. The
pause system works in the same ways as in Apocalypse - you can issue
any number of commands while the game is paused.

Also, I played the game on the Microsoft game zone last night and it
worked a treat.

Detonate

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Here's hoping the very best for you and your team Julian!

So, about this XCOM type game you mentioned.... are you or aren't you?

--
Detonate

Midway React primary systems functional...

Robert Bohnenberger DMD

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
How's that for service?
--
---END OF MESSAGE---
Please note: remove "nospam", or similar tag if present in address when

Julian Gollop

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

We have a tentative design concept which is a turn based game (albeit
using 3D graphics). However, it is difficult trying to sell such a
concept to publishers because they only think real-time games sell
(despite evidence to the contrary). Although I enjoy RTS games
(particularly multiplayer) I still prefer a decent turn based game. It
is the only environment where pure strategy wins in the end - all RTS
games require considerable mouse dexterity and suffer from the
inadequacies of their interface.

Robert Bohnenberger DMD

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Hear, hear!

Andrew R. Gillett

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
In alt.games.x-com, article <364ee8d...@news.demon.co.uk>, Julian
Gollop (jul...@mythosgames.com) wrote:
> We have a tentative design concept which is a turn based game (albeit
> using 3D graphics). However, it is difficult trying to sell such a
> concept to publishers because they only think real-time games sell
> (despite evidence to the contrary). Although I enjoy RTS games
> (particularly multiplayer) I still prefer a decent turn based game. It
> is the only environment where pure strategy wins in the end - all RTS
> games require considerable mouse dexterity and suffer from the
> inadequacies of their interface.

But the real-time option in Apocalypse was totally superb - and the pause
button meant that it wasn't just a C&C-style click-fest. And the
interface was lovely. I hope you consider including this option in your
new game.

--
Andrew Gillett http://argnet.fatal-design.com/ ICQ: See homepage
"Aaaaaaah. My poor lamb. But do you not understand?" - Richard Herring

Ben Robinson

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
to alt.games.x-com
Ben Robinson wrote in message ...

>I see no mention of the new Gollop game, Magic and Mayhem here. It's been
>getting cracking reviews and is out next week in the UK.
>
>Has anyone played the demo? Or the full game? It looks superb, a worthy
>successor to the XCom isometric games.
>
>Any thoughts?

Well, after finding that I in fact have had the demo on a PC Zone CD for the
last month, I can answer my own question. Bad Netiquette I know...

I think Magic and Mayhem is great. Lovely graphics (I'm hoping there's a
1024x768 option in the full release though) interesting combat, generally
slick presentation and most important of all, ambience. So many games seem
to miss out on the indefinable essence of a good atmosphere. I don't know
what makes for it, certainly not just good graphics; there's a million
good-looking games out there now and hardly any of them have that certain
'thing' that really involves you.

Anyway, Messers Gollop seem to have done it again. Ever since first loading
a Laser Squad tape on a cranky old Speccy (God knows how long ago) I haven't
been disappointed.

Ben

--
Please reply to Ben<at>xcom.co.uk or Ben<at>sharkey.demon.co.uk

If you like biking or are just feeling plain gory, goto:
http://www.sharkey.demon.co.uk/blood