Kilrathi Saga

Kilobug

Aug 12, 2001, 6:12:57ā€ÆAM8/12/01
Hello,
Do you know were can I found Kilrathi Saga, either in France or online?
I was never able to find it...
Thanx
--
** Gael Le Mignot, Ing2 EPITA, Coder of The Kilobug Team **
Home Mail : kil...@freesurf.fr Work Mail : le-m...@epita.fr

"Software is like sex it's better when it's free.", Linus Torvalds

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 12, 2001, 12:16:51ā€ÆPM8/12/01
Kilobug wrote:

> Hello,
> Do you know were can I found Kilrathi Saga, either in France or online?
> I was never able to find it...

KS is almost impossible to find these days. Best bet is e-bay. But be
prepared to pay around $150 for it :((

--
In a world without walls an fences, who needs windows and gates?

Kurt Montandon

Aug 14, 2001, 2:10:09ā€ÆAM8/14/01
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:12:57 +0200, Kilobug <kil...@club-internet.fr>
wrote:

>Hello,
>Do you know were can I found Kilrathi Saga, either in France or online?
>I was never able to find it...

www.theunderdogs.org will have it, for download.

Although it takes a bit of fiddling around to get WC1 to work, check
an earlier thread.

--

Kurt Montandon

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 14, 2001, 4:13:27ā€ÆAM8/14/01
Kurt Montandon wrote:

> ************* will have it, for download.

> Although it takes a bit of fiddling around to get WC1 to work, check
> an earlier thread.

Please do not post _WAREZ_ links in here !!!!!!!!!

--
Silly question of the day:
If genetic scientists crossed a chicken with a zebra would they

Kilobug

Aug 14, 2001, 6:19:28ā€ÆAM8/14/01
Karl CFF Frank wrote:
> Kurt Montandon wrote:
>

>>************* will have it, for download.
>>Although it takes a bit of fiddling around to get WC1 to work, check
>>an earlier thread.
>>

> Please do not post _WAREZ_ links in here !!!!!!!!!

Could you really call it "warez" when it's impossible to buy the game?
I'm ready to buy it, it isn't for sale, what's bad in downloading it?

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 14, 2001, 7:09:01ā€ÆAM8/14/01
Kilobug wrote:

> > Please do not post _WAREZ_ links in here !!!!!!!!!
>
> Could you really call it "warez" when it's impossible to buy the game?

It still is. It is a very unfortunate state of course. I bought KS for
more then it is 'worth' as well.

> I'm ready to buy it, it isn't for sale, what's bad in downloading it?

First of all you don't get the whole game. All sites I know of only got
stripped down versions of KS (mostly no sound).
Also you can 'easily' get the normal WC2 and WC3. As for WC1, you can
get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended because it is hard to
get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern systems) with a back issue of
PC Gamer (US version I think).

--
The day Microsoft will make something that doesn't suck is
probably the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners

Kilobug

Aug 14, 2001, 7:50:09ā€ÆAM8/14/01
>>I'm ready to buy it, it isn't for sale, what's bad in downloading it?
>>

> First of all you don't get the whole game. All sites I know of only
> got stripped down versions of KS (mostly no sound).

That's bad... but not worse than not having the game at all

> Also you can 'easily' get the normal WC2 and WC3.

I already have WC3. Were can I buy WC2 (with the add-on)?

> As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
> because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
> systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).

And if I live outside US?

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 14, 2001, 11:14:45ā€ÆAM8/14/01
Karl CFF Frank <Karl....@deleteme.elsnet.at> wrote:
: Kilobug wrote:

:> I'm ready to buy it, it isn't for sale, what's bad in downloading it?

: First of all you don't get the whole game. All sites I know of only got
: stripped down versions of KS (mostly no sound).

That;s weird actually... with all the space these sites have now, some of
them have gotten to put up complete DVD isos... (Not that I advocate
pirating movies, like Wing Commander <G>)

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 14, 2001, 11:54:28ā€ÆAM8/14/01
Kilobug wrote:

> > Also you can 'easily' get the normal WC2 and WC3.
> I already have WC3. Were can I buy WC2 (with the add-on)?

Try the WC2 Deluxe version.
Generally this page is a good start:
http://www.wcnews.com/wheretobuy.shtml

However their only listed WC2 source is sold out.
You migth want to try ugtz.com or e-bay.com

Shameless ad: ;)
I actually got a spare copy I don't need (thought it was German speech,
which it wasn't). Handbook in English, German, and French on CD IIRC.
Installation instructions are however only in German.

> > As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
> > because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
> > systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).
>
> And if I live outside US?

Good question. Try to order anyhow? You got a credit card?

--
Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 14, 2001, 4:49:34ā€ÆPM8/14/01
"Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

> > As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
> > because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
> > systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).
>
> And if I live outside US?

I'm terribly sorry you're not an American, but that doesn't give you the
right to steal.

--
Kris Vanhecke
ICQ #5504559

TC

Aug 14, 2001, 2:35:31ā€ÆAM8/14/01
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:49:34 +0200, "Kris Vanhecke"
<kris.v...@village.uunet.be> while TC was wandering through the Canadian
wilderness he wrote:

>"Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
>> > As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
>> > because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
>> > systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).
>>
>> And if I live outside US?
>
>I'm terribly sorry you're not an American, but that doesn't give you the
>right to steal.

Dash, I thought being Canadian meant I could take whatever I wanted whenever I
wanted :( Thanks for ruining it, Kris...

TC
--
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 15, 2001, 10:57:28ā€ÆAM8/15/01
Kris Vanhecke <kris.v...@village.uunet.be> wrote:
: "Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

: news:3B791071...@club-internet.fr...
:> > As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
:> > because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
:> > systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).
:>
:> And if I live outside US?

: I'm terribly sorry you're not an American, but that doesn't give you the
: right to steal.

It might, if the country they reside in does not have an IP policy, or has
one that will allow you to do what you consider stealing...

say, I hear they serve beer to elementary school children in Belgium, in
school.

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 15, 2001, 12:26:20ā€ÆPM8/15/01
ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca wrote:

> : I'm terribly sorry you're not an American, but that doesn't give you the
> : right to steal.
>
> It might, if the country they reside in does not have an IP policy, or has
> one that will allow you to do what you consider stealing...

Assuming the original poster did not fake his e-mail he is from
France... So the might does not apply.

--
You never really learn to swear until you use Windoze.

Death

Aug 15, 2001, 1:21:25ā€ÆPM8/15/01
On 15 Aug 2001 14:57:28 GMT, ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca wrote:

> Kris Vanhecke <kris.v...@village.uunet.be> wrote:
> : "Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
> : news:3B791071...@club-internet.fr...
> :> > As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
> :> > because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
> :> > systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).
> :>
> :> And if I live outside US?
>
> : I'm terribly sorry you're not an American, but that doesn't give you the
> : right to steal.
>
> It might, if the country they reside in does not have an IP policy, or has
> one that will allow you to do what you consider stealing...

From the headers of Kilobug's original post:

Last I checked France was a signatory of the Berne copyright
convention. Sorry, your usual Russia example doesn't apply here,
Gene. :P

SubCrid Death
--
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild
http://www.wcnews.com/loaf/

Kilobug

Aug 15, 2001, 2:45:11ā€ÆPM8/15/01

> Assuming the original poster did not fake his e-mail he is from
> France... So the might does not apply.

Yes, I'm from France.
And copying a program can't considered as stealing.
By copying a game when anyway you'll never buy it, you don't steal
anything. Copying a game instead of buying it is a "bad" act, but it's
not really "stealing".
In this case, the fact is I *want* to buy the game but I *can't*: not
avaible. So what's bad?

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 15, 2001, 4:12:53ā€ÆPM8/15/01

> > Assuming the original poster did not fake his e-mail he is from
> > France... So the might does not apply.
>
> By copying a game when anyway you'll never buy it, you don't steal
> anything.

If you're too cheap to spend ten dollars, you should at least have the
decency to tap in a few keywords in some search engine, instead of asking it
in a newsgroup where the real fans are.

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 15, 2001, 7:01:59ā€ÆPM8/15/01
Death <noh...@radparker.com> wrote:

: On 15 Aug 2001 14:57:28 GMT, ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca wrote:

:> Kris Vanhecke <kris.v...@village.uunet.be> wrote:
:> : "Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
:> : news:3B791071...@club-internet.fr...
:> :> > As for WC1, you can get the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 (recommended
:> :> > because it is hard to get WC1 to run at normal speed on modern
:> :> > systems) with a back issue of PC Gamer (US version I think).
:> :>
:> :> And if I live outside US?
:>
:> : I'm terribly sorry you're not an American, but that doesn't give you the
:> : right to steal.
:>
:> It might, if the country they reside in does not have an IP policy, or has
:> one that will allow you to do what you consider stealing...

: From the headers of Kilobug's original post:

: Last I checked France was a signatory of the Berne copyright
: convention. Sorry, your usual Russia example doesn't apply here,
: Gene. :P

It might if they country they reside in...
I made no mention of France, or the original poster <G>
All the original post needs to do is to move to one of these other
countries <BG>

Zero

Aug 15, 2001, 7:50:25ā€ÆPM8/15/01
Actually Kris, certain countries don't have software piracy laws, or allow
such. Depending on what country he's in, it may give him the right.

/me watches everyone move to Israel just to play WC.

--Zero
ra...@challenge-au.com
"Kris Vanhecke" <kris.v...@village.uunet.be> wrote in message

Zero

Aug 15, 2001, 7:52:24ā€ÆPM8/15/01
> say, I hear they serve beer to elementary school children in Belgium, in
school.

That's a bit like the way all us Australians ride Kangaroos to school
(according to some).

--Zero
ra...@challenge-au.com
<ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca> wrote in message

Toefur Boggle

Aug 15, 2001, 11:49:04ā€ÆPM8/15/01

> "Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
> > > Assuming the original poster did not fake his e-mail he is from
> > > France... So the might does not apply.
> >
> > By copying a game when anyway you'll never buy it, you don't steal
> > anything.
>
> If you're too cheap to spend ten dollars, you should at least have the
> decency to tap in a few keywords in some search engine, instead of asking
it
> in a newsgroup where the real fans are.

I dunno; he sounds like a real fan to me...

Kasey Chang (use EXCITE.COM instead!)

Aug 16, 2001, 12:22:01ā€ÆAM8/16/01

"Toefur Boggle" <toe...@toefur.com> wrote in message

> > If you're too cheap to spend ten dollars, you should at least have
the
> > decency to tap in a few keywords in some search engine, instead of
asking
> it
> > in a newsgroup where the real fans are.

> I dunno; he sounds like a real fan to me...

Oh great... We're back to the "how do you appreciate something by
depreciating it" thread again.

--KC

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 16, 2001, 4:09:28ā€ÆAM8/16/01
Kilobug wrote:

> Yes, I'm from France.
> And copying a program can't considered as stealing.
> By copying a game when anyway you'll never buy it, you don't steal
> anything. Copying a game instead of buying it is a "bad" act, but it's
> not really "stealing".
> In this case, the fact is I *want* to buy the game but I *can't*: not
> avaible. So what's bad?

Ouch. Ah. help! Ouch... Not again this very same discussion. That is the
same crap all warez guys say. It doesn not depend if you can buy it and
to what price. Copying a software is a crime no matter how you twist it.
You are right in one aspect: it is not stealing, but a copyright
violation.

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 16, 2001, 12:56:34ā€ÆPM8/16/01
Zero <ra...@challenge-au.nospam.com> wrote:
:> say, I hear they serve beer to elementary school children in Belgium, in
: school.

: That's a bit like the way all us Australians ride Kangaroos to school
: (according to some).

Nope, it was in the 'serious' newspaper here.

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 16, 2001, 1:05:11ā€ÆPM8/16/01
Karl CFF Frank <Karl....@deleteme.elsnet.at> wrote:
: Kilobug wrote:

Not the same discussion...
No one ever brought up the point on when you copy a game, but will never
buy it...

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 16, 2001, 1:06:14ā€ÆPM8/16/01
:> > in a newsgroup where the real fans are.

:> I dunno; he sounds like a real fan to me...

: Oh great... We're back to the "how do you appreciate something by
: depreciating it" thread again.

No, it's how to be an ass in defining a "real fan".

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 17, 2001, 3:52:56ā€ÆAM8/17/01
ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca wrote:

> : Ouch. Ah. help! Ouch... Not again this very same discussion. That is the
> : same crap all warez guys say. It doesn not depend if you can buy it and
> : to what price. Copying a software is a crime no matter how you twist it.
> : You are right in one aspect: it is not stealing, but a copyright
> : violation.
>
> Not the same discussion...
> No one ever brought up the point on when you copy a game, but will never
> buy it...

Bad memory, Gene? I remember at least 2-3 occastions we had this
argument. IMO it is even older then the 'I cannot buy it anymore, noone
makes money of it, so it is ok to copy'

--
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I cannot accept,

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 17, 2001, 11:13:41ā€ÆAM8/17/01
: ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca wrote:

:> : Ouch. Ah. help! Ouch... Not again this very same discussion. That is the
:> : same crap all warez guys say. It doesn not depend if you can buy it and
:> : to what price. Copying a software is a crime no matter how you twist it.
:> : You are right in one aspect: it is not stealing, but a copyright
:> : violation.
:>
:> Not the same discussion...
:> No one ever brought up the point on when you copy a game, but will never
:> buy it...

: Bad memory, Gene? I remember at least 2-3 occastions we had this
: argument. IMO it is even older then the 'I cannot buy it anymore, noone
: makes money of it, so it is ok to copy'

Not that, this discussion would be slightly (though only slightly)
different, in that the originator, not only make previous points in
contention, but also makes an argument for "if I wouldn't buy it anyways,
why can't I copy it". It's an extra point that hasn't been brought up
before.

Jetlag

Aug 18, 2001, 7:34:39ā€ÆAM8/18/01

"TC" <T...@blacklance.org> wrote in message

> Dash, I thought being Canadian meant I could take whatever I wanted whenever I
> wanted :( Thanks for ruining it, Kris...

No, just DirecTV... and BABIES!

Wulfkin

Aug 19, 2001, 3:09:59ā€ÆAM8/19/01
When a game is Old and not sold comercially for a LONG period of time, it
legally becomes an "Orphen" game. Basically public domain. I'm not sure
what all the laws and time tables involved are though. There are several
sites on the net that have free downloads of orphened games, but these tend
to be really old games with CGA graphics, and designed for 8088 and 286
computers.

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 19, 2001, 3:24:51ā€ÆAM8/19/01
Wulfkin wrote:

> When a game is Old

Correct

> and not sold comercially for a LONG period of time, it

Does not matter.

> legally becomes an "Orphen" game. Basically public domain. I'm not sure
> what all the laws and time tables involved are though.

70 years IIRC... So definitey londer then the PC exists...

> There are several
> sites on the net that have free downloads of orphened games, but these tend
> to be really old games with CGA graphics, and designed for 8088 and 286
> computers.

And even those are not legal unless the owner allows it.

--
"We are Micro$oft. Lower your expectations and surrender your
former software. We will add your technological advances to

Kevin Scholl

Aug 19, 2001, 5:13:03ā€ÆPM8/19/01

Wulfkin wrote:

> When a game is Old and not sold comercially for a LONG period of time, it
> legally becomes an "Orphen" game. Basically public domain. I'm not sure

Until the game reaches (I think) 70 yearsold, not so. This discussion
was beat to death several weeks ago, but the gist is that no game is
considered free from its copyright until the company releases the
copyright, or 70 years passes. Even then, the company could opt to renew
the copyright which furhter extends the legal holdings.

> what all the laws and time tables involved are though. There are several
> sites on the net that have free downloads of orphened games, but these tend
> to be really old games with CGA graphics, and designed for 8088 and 286
> computers.

Kevin Scholl
ksc...@cavtel.DELETE.net
http://members.cavtel.net/kscholl/portfolio/
http://members.cavtel.net/kscholl/dvdcorner/
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

Wulfkin

Aug 20, 2001, 9:20:44ā€ÆAM8/20/01
Thanks for the reply. I honestly had no idea this topic had already come
up. I stumbled in here through a link at a WC website I found, and was
surprized to actually see a few people still interested in the WC series.

It seems like most of the Websites I've visited have not been updated since
98 or so when prophecy was in its hayday. That's a shame. I've loved WC
since the first one came out, and seriously wish more people liked the
series so origin would make a few more. Probably little hope of that now,
though. By all accounts I've heard, Prophecy kinda fizzled out in the sales
department. Sort of like Privateer 2, or so I've been told.

Again, thx for the reply.

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 20, 2001, 8:45:40ā€ÆAM8/20/01
"Wulfkin" <Wul...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It seems like most of the Websites I've visited have not been updated
since
> 98 or so when prophecy was in its hayday. That's a shame. I've loved WC
> since the first one came out, and seriously wish more people liked the
> series so origin would make a few more. Probably little hope of that now,
> though. By all accounts I've heard, Prophecy kinda fizzled out in the
sales
> department. Sort of like Privateer 2, or so I've been told.

Prophecy did great, selling 700,000 copies. I don't know how many copies
Privateer 2 sold, but I haven't heard anything about it being too few.

Death

Aug 20, 2001, 12:52:52ā€ÆPM8/20/01
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:20:44 -0500, "Wulfkin" <Wul...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> It seems like most of the Websites I've visited have not been updated since
> 98 or so when prophecy was in its hayday. That's a shame. I've loved WC
> since the first one came out, and seriously wish more people liked the
> series so origin would make a few more. Probably little hope of that now,
> though. By all accounts I've heard, Prophecy kinda fizzled out in the sales
> department. Sort of like Privateer 2, or so I've been told.

None of the WC games, save maybe Armada (and I'm open to debate on
that, since I'm not sure of the numbers), suffered from poor sales
when they were fresh on the market. However, as single-buy games,
none could match the revenue potential of UO's million bucks a month
profit from subscribers.

(There's also EA incompetence, but that's another subject, and subject
of a rant or three, with which I won't bore you.)

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 20, 2001, 1:40:20ā€ÆPM8/20/01
Wulfkin wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I honestly had no idea this topic had already come
> up.

Just 3 times in the last month or so. So maybe you can understand that
the regulars are a bit upset by now.

> I stumbled in here through a link at a WC website I found, and was
> surprized to actually see a few people still interested in the WC series.

I think there are quite some of us left. If only judging by the ammounts
WC (collectors-)items make on E-bay.

> It seems like most of the Websites I've visited have not been updated since
> 98 or so when prophecy was in its hayday. That's a shame.

Try www.wcnews.com and wcmods.badfellas.de That is probably where most
stuff is going on right now. At least you should find links to more.

> I've loved WC
> since the first one came out, and seriously wish more people liked the
> series so origin would make a few more. Probably little hope of that now,
> though.

Indeed. We might see a couple of fan projects however. Unknown Enemy for
example, a WC Secret Ops 'mod', is comming along very nicely.

> By all accounts I've heard, Prophecy kinda fizzled out in the sales
> department. Sort of like Privateer 2, or so I've been told.

Afaik only WC4 kinda bombed. Initially. And that was not because it sold
so few copies, but because it did cost so much to do. Still after
reprints they made nice profit. WCP sold most copies of all WC games
IIRC.

Problem is that space sims are kine of a niche market. What would you
do? Do a Ultima Online that makes monthly money. Or do sports games that
will sell at least 10 times as many copies. Or please a loyal fanbase?
EA's decision is obvious. Today it is not enough to make money. You got
to make much money.
Plus the last space sims did not do well at all, so (almost) nobody
dares to do them anymore.

--
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Antti HƤmƤlƤinen

Aug 20, 2001, 2:13:19ā€ÆPM8/20/01
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:40:20 +0200, Karl CFF Frank
<Karl....@DELETEME.elsnet.at> wrote:

[snip]

>Plus the last space sims did not do well at all, so (almost) nobody
>dares to do them anymore.

Which, in short, sucks.

Regular flight sims are suffering the same fate...

Wulfkin

Aug 20, 2001, 9:36:18ā€ÆPM8/20/01

Karl CFF Frank wrote in message <3B814B84...@DELETEME.elsnet.at>...

*SNIP*

>Problem is that space sims are kine of a niche market. What would you
>do? Do a Ultima Online that makes monthly money.

Hmmm... I had heard rumors of a perpetual online WC universe a while back.
Something like an ongoing virtual war with different *episodes* of the
Kilrathi or Bug conflicts. Was this ever a viable option for origin, or was
this just WC-fan dreaming? If Wc had a large enough support base, (and the
numbers you all quote seem to indicate this) it seems like there would be
good money making potential in it. Especially if it was a pay-to-play setup
like UO, as opposed to something like Bnet which is free and relies on
direct product sales to generate profits.

Heh, and probably this topic has been beaten to death too :) I just wasn't
here to beat it with ya'll at the time so please forgive my bringing up a
potentially tired subject.

Also, what about "Digital Anvil"? Is Chris Roberts planning on doing more
space combat sims? Or did his new company run aground? (I realize that
origin holds the rights to the WC series, at least in part, but is he
considering creating another universe? I would be interested in seeing
whatever he comes up with.)

Dan

Death

Aug 21, 2001, 12:57:03ā€ÆAM8/21/01
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:36:18 -0500, "Wulfkin" <Wul...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Karl CFF Frank wrote in message <3B814B84...@DELETEME.elsnet.at>...

> >Problem is that space sims are kine of a niche market. What would you
> >do? Do a Ultima Online that makes monthly money.
>
> Hmmm... I had heard rumors of a perpetual online WC universe a while back.
> Something like an ongoing virtual war with different *episodes* of the
> Kilrathi or Bug conflicts. Was this ever a viable option for origin, or was
> this just WC-fan dreaming? If Wc had a large enough support base, (and the
> numbers you all quote seem to indicate this) it seems like there would be
> good money making potential in it. Especially if it was a pay-to-play setup
> like UO, as opposed to something like Bnet which is free and relies on
> direct product sales to generate profits.

There was to be a UO-like (as far as monthly fees) Privateer MMORPG
game, but eventually it was canceled for reasons unknown.

> Heh, and probably this topic has been beaten to death too :) I just wasn't
> here to beat it with ya'll at the time so please forgive my bringing up a
> potentially tired subject.

It's a more welcome "rerun" than the eternal warez threads. :P

> Also, what about "Digital Anvil"? Is Chris Roberts planning on doing more
> space combat sims? Or did his new company run aground? (I realize that
> origin holds the rights to the WC series, at least in part, but is he
> considering creating another universe? I would be interested in seeing
> whatever he comes up with.)

No one really knows what he has in mind, if anything. The only rights
to WC that DA has (had?) was a movie from the part of the game series
CR was directly involved in, WC1-3. Since he's not even really a part
of DA any more ("We are Microsoft of Borg, prepare to be
assimilated"), who knows what's next?

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 21, 2001, 4:27:27ā€ÆAM8/21/01
Wulfkin wrote:

> Hmmm... I had heard rumors of a perpetual online WC universe a while back.
> Something like an ongoing virtual war with different *episodes* of the
> Kilrathi or Bug conflicts. Was this ever a viable option for origin, or was
> this just WC-fan dreaming?

It was cancelled at an relatively early stage. (Not like UO2 that was
largely done and then cancelled... ;) )

> If Wc had a large enough support base, (and the
> numbers you all quote seem to indicate this) it seems like there would be
> good money making potential in it.

But not as much as other genres. Space sims (and also flights sims) are
just not 'in' at the moment. Don't worry, most likely they will be again
in some years. Look at the dark ages of RPGs for example...

> Especially if it was a pay-to-play setup
> like UO, as

You might want to have a look at Jumpgate. It is a nice space sim. Not
enough depth (ok, I only did try the beta) and too much newtonian physic
for me, but maybe you like it.

> opposed to something like Bnet which is free and relies on
> direct product sales to generate profits.

Don't make me talk about B'net... (look at my first sig...)
I liked Blizzard, but now they can kiss my ...

> Also, what about "Digital Anvil"?

Microsoft is slowly killing it.

> Is Chris Roberts planning on doing more
> space combat sims?

Who knows. He is not much at DA anymore IIRC. Still supervising
Freelancer however.

--
Are you concerned about privacy of data? Are you playing on battle.net?
If one or both applies please have a look at

--
Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's
population.

Wulfkin

Aug 21, 2001, 9:35:35ā€ÆAM8/21/01
Karl CFF Frank wrote in message <3B821B6F...@DELETEME.elsnet.at>...

*SNIP*

>> opposed to something like Bnet which is free and relies on
>> direct product sales to generate profits.
>
>Don't make me talk about B'net... (look at my first sig...)
>I liked Blizzard, but now they can kiss my ...

Hmmmm.....

I can't believe Blizzard (one of my all time favorite stratagy/RPG companies
((Black Isle is my favorite for RPG at the moment))) is trying that stuff.
I thought it was just limited to some of the "Free" ISP's that are floating
around out there. Grrrrr.... That makes me angry! I wonder what dork
over there thought this gem up...

Ummmm... ok I'm done ranting now :(

Wulfkin

Aug 21, 2001, 9:57:16ā€ÆAM8/21/01

Death wrote in message ...

*SNIP*

>No one really knows what he has in mind, if anything. The only rights
>to WC that DA has (had?) was a movie from the part of the game series
>CR was directly involved in, WC1-3. Since he's not even really a part
>of DA any more ("We are Microsoft of Borg, prepare to be
>assimilated"), who knows what's next?

This is the first I've heard of Microshaft swallowing DA, of course I
usually ignore anything having to do with Billy-boy Gates and his infernal
money laundering machine, so it really comes as no suprise that I never was
informed of it. *Sigh* When will Big-Bill get it through his head... The
universe does NOT want to be OWNED by him or his diabolical brain child.

As you can probably tell, I'm not the biggest of Bill Gate's fans. I wish
he would slip on a ZIP disk and crack his cranial cavity, thus forgetting
his ongoing dream to rule the world. (Hey! If that happened, he might even
get a new haircut and then I would like him better! Naaa... never happen.)

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 21, 2001, 11:45:20ā€ÆAM8/21/01
Wulfkin wrote:

> Hmmmm.....
>
> I can't believe Blizzard (one of my all time favorite stratagy/RPG companies
> ((Black Isle is my favorite for RPG at the moment))) is trying that stuff.

They do. :(( I checked myself. Blizzard products attempted to read the
My Documents folder and the IE Cookies. Also the CD was red and CPU ID
tried (bad luck, the AMD doesn't have one <G>)
Most likely none of that stuff is transitted or only an ID or something
small as this. Until they find something really really special. Who
knows what they are looking for?! In any case one will never know. B'net
uses RSA encryption for the transmissions.

Obviously I won't buy anything from them anymore until that clause is
out of their terms of usuage. And I will spread the word of course as
good as I can. I still occastionally play their games on the net. But
only on a virgine system (or one that looks like it with the help of
some tools) they cannot get anything from.

--
WindowsError:00F Unexplaind error. Please tell us how it happened.

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 21, 2001, 12:44:57ā€ÆPM8/21/01

> Karl CFF Frank wrote in message <3B814B84...@DELETEME.elsnet.at>...
> Also, what about "Digital Anvil"? Is Chris Roberts planning on doing more
> space combat sims? Or did his new company run aground? (I realize that
> origin holds the rights to the WC series, at least in part, but is he
> considering creating another universe? I would be interested in seeing
> whatever he comes up with.)

Starlancer and Freelancer would prevent DA from doing a Wing Commander game.
But Chris Roberts is no longer with them, and EA wouldn't let them anyhow.
<G>

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 21, 2001, 12:47:19ā€ÆPM8/21/01

> This is the first I've heard of Microshaft swallowing DA, of course I
> usually ignore anything having to do with Billy-boy Gates and his infernal
> money laundering machine, so it really comes as no suprise that I never
was
> informed of it. *Sigh* When will Big-Bill get it through his head... The
> universe does NOT want to be OWNED by him or his diabolical brain child.

As long as the games are good, I don't mind having them developed or
published by Microsoft. Starlancer was very good in my opinion (second only
to Wing Commander in the genre - not that that's very hard to accomplish,
given the competition), as was Mech Warrior 4.

Wulfkin

Aug 21, 2001, 7:44:36ā€ÆPM8/21/01

Kris Vanhecke wrote in message <9lu3bd$bma$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

*SNIP*

>As long as the games are good, I don't mind having them developed or
>published by Microsoft. Starlancer was very good in my opinion (second only
>to Wing Commander in the genre - not that that's very hard to accomplish,
>given the competition), as was Mech Warrior 4.

Hellbender was good for it's time also, (although not as good IMO as
Descent) and came from Microsoft. My problem isn't with whatever decient
software Microsoft comes up with, it's with Gate's attempts at monopolizing
everything in his line of sight. I've used Windows as long as it's been
around, and before that I used Microsoft's versions of DOS exclusively
(Microsoft has always made the most compatible OS's).

So please don't think I hate the software, just the greed that drives the
company:) My Microshaft comments were not aimed at the programs, only at
the Company and it's owner.

Dan

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 21, 2001, 7:30:12ā€ÆPM8/21/01
Kris Vanhecke <kris.v...@village.uunet.be> wrote:

: "Wulfkin" <Wul...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

: news:_6ig7.866$c54....@eagle.america.net...
:>
:> Karl CFF Frank wrote in message <3B814B84...@DELETEME.elsnet.at>...
:> Also, what about "Digital Anvil"? Is Chris Roberts planning on doing more
:> space combat sims? Or did his new company run aground? (I realize that
:> origin holds the rights to the WC series, at least in part, but is he
:> considering creating another universe? I would be interested in seeing
:> whatever he comes up with.)

: Starlancer and Freelancer would prevent DA from doing a Wing Commander game.
: But Chris Roberts is no longer with them, and EA wouldn't let them anyhow.
: <G>

... the game based on the movie ...

ewd_...@ece.concordia.ca

Aug 21, 2001, 7:35:44ā€ÆPM8/21/01
Wulfkin <Wul...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: When a game is Old and not sold comercially for a LONG period of time, it

: legally becomes an "Orphen" game. Basically public domain. I'm not sure
: what all the laws and time tables involved are though. There are several
: sites on the net that have free downloads of orphened games, but these tend
: to be really old games with CGA graphics, and designed for 8088 and 286
: computers.

When a game is old... like 70 years old... when the copyright runs out.
When the company that holds the rights is dead... and no one holds the
rights.

Well... Sopwith II is being actively passed about. BMB Compuscience is
dead, and no one holds the rights.

... DesqView is being actively passed around, but Symantec holds the
rights, however they don't know they hold the rights, and if you ask them,
they'll deny knowledge of the product (yes, I know poeple who asked)

... Microsoft doesn't care about MS-BOB! <G> Even though Melinda Gates was
project manager.

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 22, 2001, 4:09:33ā€ÆPM8/22/01

> Kris Vanhecke wrote in message <9lu3bd$bma$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...
> So please don't think I hate the software, just the greed that drives the
> company:)

All companies are driven by greed. Mouths have to be fed.

Kris Vanhecke

Aug 22, 2001, 4:10:25ā€ÆPM8/22/01

> Kris Vanhecke <kris.v...@village.uunet.be> wrote:
> : Starlancer and Freelancer would prevent DA from doing a Wing Commander
game.
> : But Chris Roberts is no longer with them, and EA wouldn't let them
anyhow.
> : <G>
>
> ... the game based on the movie ...

I think the rights have already reverted back to EA.

Wulfkin

Aug 22, 2001, 8:15:22ā€ÆPM8/22/01

Kris Vanhecke wrote in message <9m13jg$fn4$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

*SNIP*

>All companies are driven by greed. Mouths have to be fed.

Heh. And Gates makes enough to feed a third world country.

Karl CFF Frank

Aug 23, 2001, 8:26:45ā€ÆAM8/23/01
Kris Vanhecke wrote:

> > Kris Vanhecke wrote in message <9lu3bd$bma$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...
> > So please don't think I hate the software, just the greed that drives the
> > company:)
>
> All companies are driven by greed. Mouths have to be fed.

Some more then others however.

--
Smith & Wesson, the ORIGINAL point and click interface...

Doomy Dan

Sep 7, 2001, 8:53:44ā€ÆAM9/7/01
Don't expect to get any help from people on this forum... I know...

I've been searching for "Kilrathi Saga" over a year now and it is simply
impossible to get... unless you want to pay like $100...
Those who happens to have K.S. in their possession are so called "fans" that
are so afraid of loosing their... well... "monopoly" in having this game
that they suddenly turn into some hardcore anti-piracy agents. I bet
everyone of them has a shitload of pirated software... But when it comes to
helping other less fortunate in getting K.S. they just laugh you in the
face, waving their copy of K.S and says "Look what I've got!! Haha!"...
Yeah! I AM jealous... Satisfied now? Have your wet dream come true?

Anyway... I downloaded the K.S. you can find at thunderdogs... but there's
simply too much missing...

> Hello,
> Do you know were can I found Kilrathi Saga, either in France or online?
> I was never able to find it...
> Thanx
> --
> ** Gael Le Mignot, Ing2 EPITA, Coder of The Kilobug Team **
> Home Mail : kil...@freesurf.fr Work Mail : le-m...@epita.fr
> GSM : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France) ICQ UIN : 7299959
> Web : http://kilobug.freesurf.fr or http://drizzt.dyndns.org
>
> "Software is like sex it's better when it's free.", Linus Torvalds

Kris Vanhecke

Sep 7, 2001, 11:11:29ā€ÆAM9/7/01
"Doomy Dan" <doom...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Don't expect to get any help from people on this forum... I know...

If we knew of places that sold it, we'd tell you.

> I've been searching for "Kilrathi Saga" over a year now and it is simply
> impossible to get... unless you want to pay like $100...

The originals are much easier to find and a whole lot cheaper. With a small
amount of effort, they run just fine on modern computers.

> Those who happens to have K.S. in their possession are so called "fans"
that
> are so afraid of loosing their... well... "monopoly" in having this game
> that they suddenly turn into some hardcore anti-piracy agents. I bet
> everyone of them has a shitload of pirated software... But when it comes
> helping other less fortunate in getting K.S. they just laugh you in the
> face, waving their copy of K.S and says "Look what I've got!! Haha!"...

Yes, it's all a big conspiracy, we're all against you. All against you!

> Yeah! I AM jealous... Satisfied now? Have your wet dream come true?

Well, whatever turns you on.

Karl CFF Frank

Sep 7, 2001, 1:38:29ā€ÆPM9/7/01
Doomy Dan wrote:

> Don't expect to get any help from people on this forum... I know...

Ah so you ask in 2 other topics for our help... Oh yes, I love that kind
of people...

> I've been searching for "Kilrathi Saga" over a year now and it is simply
> impossible to get... unless you want to pay like $100...

That is unfortunately true.

> Those who happens to have K.S. in their possession are so called "fans" that
> are so afraid of loosing their... well... "monopoly" in having this game
> that they suddenly turn into some hardcore anti-piracy agents.

Ehm, sorry?! As long as we knew a shop that still sold it we did tell.
But how strange is it that fans of a particular thing protect it. If you
must pirate WC then go elsewhere. It is really not that hard. It is not
this groups it is the ignorance of people. Would you go into a police
station and ask how to best rob a bank!?!?!?!?

> I bet
> everyone of them has a shitload of pirated software...

I don't think I pirated any software the last couple of years, sorry...

> But when it comes to
> helping other less fortunate in getting K.S. they just laugh you in the
> face, waving their copy of K.S and says "Look what I've got!! Haha!"...
> Yeah! I AM jealous... Satisfied now? Have your wet dream come true?

Did yours by this little bit of attention?!

> Anyway... I downloaded the K.S. you can find at thunderdogs... but there's
> simply too much missing...

Hahahahhaha...

Look, if you want the KS content then buy WC1,WC2 and WC3 separately. It
will be around $30 total. If that is too much for you searh harder or
get lost!

--
'Famous' acronyms:
MCSE

Bateau

Sep 7, 2001, 5:13:07ā€ÆPM9/7/01
hola Karl CFF Frank, soy una robusteza!

>Doomy Dan wrote:
>
>> Don't expect to get any help from people on this forum... I know...
>
>Ah so you ask in 2 other topics for our help... Oh yes, I love that kind
>of people...
>
>> I've been searching for "Kilrathi Saga" over a year now and it is simply
>> impossible to get... unless you want to pay like $100...
>
>That is unfortunately true.
>
>> Those who happens to have K.S. in their possession are so called "fans" that
>> are so afraid of loosing their... well... "monopoly" in having this game
>> that they suddenly turn into some hardcore anti-piracy agents.
>
>Ehm, sorry?! As long as we knew a shop that still sold it we did tell.
>But how strange is it that fans of a particular thing protect it.

It's not in any "danger", piracy can't "harm" it.

adiĆ³s amigo de la robusteza!
--
| _ .\ ~~ _ ^~
| <')_,/ , ; .\ >(')__, . ` ' , ,______________._ *BANG*
| (_~=/ \._`.'. .\ (_~_/ _, '------:_______ ;==( *BANG*
| ='- \=~_) ; .\ ~^~~^~ ` (_~_/ | | `-\ \ *BANG*
| -'= .\ ~^~ ~^~~^~ `~' \_;
|ICQ:11367619 EMAIL:bateau:-)jupiter-io.net SITE:www.flashback-aw.net

Karl CFF Frank

Sep 8, 2001, 4:16:58ā€ÆAM9/8/01
Bateau wrote:

> >Ehm, sorry?! As long as we knew a shop that still sold it we did tell.
> >But how strange is it that fans of a particular thing protect it.
>
> It's not in any "danger", piracy can't "harm" it.

<sacrasm>Whatever you say...</sarcasm>

--
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you
say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Doomy Dan

Sep 8, 2001, 5:35:02ā€ÆAM9/8/01
Frustration....
I have both WC1 and WC2 already... Don't worry.. they are NOT pirate (except
for those downloaded from thunderdogs... but I don't use them. I'm not even
sure if I still have them)..:/
They just don't perform very well in Windows environment and in real-DOS I
can't get my joystick (USB) to work... so..
Unfortunately, the realdos drivers for SBLive are kind of crappy as well...
MIDI-doesn't work...
Frustration...

I just don't understand what you guys have to loose by letting us copy your
K.S., except for your "solerights"...
It won't hurt anyone.. After all, the game is not for sale any longer...
Ok... I know you all are tired of this discussion... but.. hey... I'm really
tired in NOT finding a copy of the game... You must understand this... I
WANT to BUY it... But what else can I do but beg you guys to copy it for me
when it is IMPOSSIBLE to find... unless you're a millionaire....
...and I'm not....

"Karl CFF Frank" <Karl....@DELETEME.elsnet.at> wrote in message

Danial Lee

Sep 8, 2001, 8:03:02ā€ÆAM9/8/01
Heh. Well... all talk of piracy and warez aside, this thread got me
thinking about K.S. so I dug it out and started playing WC 3. I had a
great time until the end...

Somewhere in our last move, I lost my manual. K.S. has keyboard quick
referance on the back of the jewel cases for everything except... grrrr...
how to engage the Excaliber's cloak. It isn't the same as WC 4 or prophecy.

If some kind soul would be so nice as to tell me, I would be eternally
greatful and die a happy man:)

Thanks,

Dan

Karl CFF Frank

Sep 8, 2001, 1:16:01ā€ÆPM9/8/01
Danial Lee wrote:

> Somewhere in our last move, I lost my manual. K.S. has keyboard quick
> referance on the back of the jewel cases for everything except... grrrr...
> how to engage the Excaliber's cloak. It isn't the same as WC 4 or prophecy.
>
> If some kind soul would be so nice as to tell me, I would be eternally
> greatful and die a happy man:)

It actually is the same as in WC4 (CTRL+C or STRC+C or... depending on
keyboard). WCP does not have a cloak at all. Only game with a different
mechanism is WC Armada, there the cloak is a gun.

--
The following is a new Windows message that is under consideration for
the planned Windows 2001:

Karl CFF Frank

Sep 8, 2001, 1:22:58ā€ÆPM9/8/01
Doomy Dan wrote:

> Frustration....
> I have both WC1 and WC2 already... Don't worry.. they are NOT pirate (except
> for those downloaded from thunderdogs... but I don't use them. I'm not even
> sure if I still have them)..:/
> They just don't perform very well in Windows environment and in real-DOS I
> can't get my joystick (USB) to work... so..

Can you be more specific? I don't know of any specific problems with
either under Win, except speed related issues.

> Unfortunately, the realdos drivers for SBLive are kind of crappy as well...
> MIDI-doesn't work...

Try normal SB. WC1 also frequently crashes for me when using MIDI
emulation on the AWE32.

Ben Lesnick

Sep 8, 2001, 5:48:25ā€ÆPM9/8/01
doom...@hotmail.com (Doomy Dan) wrote in
<sr3m7.1269$sn6.2...@newsc.telia.net>:

>Don't expect to get any help from people on this forum... I know...

We never help anybody!

>I've been searching for "Kilrathi Saga" over a year now and it is simply
>impossible to get... unless you want to pay like $100...
>Those who happens to have K.S. in their possession are so called "fans"
>that are so afraid of loosing their... well... "monopoly" in having this
>game that they suddenly turn into some hardcore anti-piracy agents. I
>bet everyone of them has a shitload of pirated software... But when it
>comes to helping other less fortunate in getting K.S. they just laugh
>you in the face, waving their copy of K.S and says "Look what I've got!!
>Haha!"... Yeah! I AM jealous... Satisfied now? Have your wet dream come
>true?

Yeah, we're all part of an evil conspiracy.

An evil conspiracy which, incidentally, used to run a web site that would
locate online stores that sold KS at retail and reported about it to
the WC community.

But nobody remembers stupid details like that -- the stupid answer is always
much easier.

If you look through the history of this newsgroup and/or the CIC posting
boards and so forth, you'll find that we've been ardently against
piracy since long before KS *existed*. And I don't think you'll find
a single case of any of us posting about how we have KS and nobody
else does.

>Anyway... I downloaded the K.S. you can find at thunderdogs... but
>there's simply too much missing...
>

>"Kilobug" <kil...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> Do you know were can I found Kilrathi Saga, either in France or
>> online? I was never able to find it...
>> Thanx
>> --
>> ** Gael Le Mignot, Ing2 EPITA, Coder of The Kilobug Team **
>> Home Mail : kil...@freesurf.fr Work Mail : le-m...@epita.fr
>> GSM : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France) ICQ UIN : 7299959
>> Web : http://kilobug.freesurf.fr or http://drizzt.dyndns.org
>>
>> "Software is like sex it's better when it's free.", Linus Torvalds

--
Long live the Confederation,
Baron Ben "LOAF" Lesnick, LMG

Danial Lee

Sep 8, 2001, 11:34:31ā€ÆPM9/8/01

"Karl CFF Frank" wrote:
> It actually is the same as in WC4 (CTRL+C or STRC+C or... depending on
> keyboard).

I tried ctrl+c numerous times. Nothing. Your right about prophecy though.
I had forgotten about that.

I do remember I ran across this before (I bought WC4 before I bought KS and
had to look up the cloak keys for KS when I first played because it was
different, which surprised me.) I wonder if I have some odd-ball version of
KS...

Apparently your cloak works differently. Have you ever heard of a different
key combination for this?

Thanks for anything you might know about this,

Dan

Karl CFF Frank

Sep 9, 2001, 1:13:43ā€ÆPM9/9/01
Danial Lee wrote:

> I tried ctrl+c numerous times.
>

> I do remember I ran across this before (I bought WC4 before I bought KS and
> had to look up the cloak keys for KS when I first played because it was
> different, which surprised me.) I wonder if I have some odd-ball version of
> KS...
>
> Apparently your cloak works differently. Have you ever heard of a different
> key combination for this?

IIRC cloaking only works on 2 specific nav points and nowhere else. You
might be using it at the wrong spot...
1. Possibility is when Strakath respawns again and again and again
and... First get rid of your wingman, then kill the stealth fighters
(theyy won't respawn again, then cloak. Or cloak and fly manually (long
flight).
2. When you are on the planet surface.

--
Just remember: when you go to court, you are trusting your fate to
twelve people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!

Edward Bradshaw

Sep 16, 2001, 12:58:15ā€ÆPM9/16/01

Danial Lee <Dania...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Heh. Well... all talk of piracy and warez aside, this thread got me
> thinking about K.S. so I dug it out and started playing WC 3. I had a
> great time until the end...
>
> Somewhere in our last move, I lost my manual. K.S. has keyboard quick
> referance on the back of the jewel cases for everything except...
grrrr...
> how to engage the Excaliber's cloak. It isn't the same as WC 4 or
prophecy.

Duh, lol its Ctrl C, if I remember correctly.

Ed

Jeffrey MacHott

Sep 22, 2001, 8:08:44ā€ÆPM9/22/01

> "Doomy Dan" <doom...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Don't expect to get any help from people on this forum... I know...
>
> If we knew of places that sold it, we'd tell you.

As a matter of fact, people in this forum HAVE announced whenever they found
KS sold somewhere :*)

> > I've been searching for "Kilrathi Saga" over a year now and it is simply
> > impossible to get... unless you want to pay like $100...
>
> The originals are much easier to find and a whole lot cheaper. With a
small
> amount of effort, they run just fine on modern computers.

Yep, I can get WC2 Deluxe for DOS to run just fine on my AMD K6-2 350 :*)

> > Those who happens to have K.S. in their possession are so called "fans"
> that
> > are so afraid of loosing their... well... "monopoly" in having this game
> > that they suddenly turn into some hardcore anti-piracy agents. I bet
> > everyone of them has a shitload of pirated software... But when it comes
> > helping other less fortunate in getting K.S. they just laugh you in the
> > face, waving their copy of K.S and says "Look what I've got!! Haha!"...
>
> Yes, it's all a big conspiracy, we're all against you. All against you!

Shh! Don't tell him!

--
--Jeffrey MacHott

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because
it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs."

Jeffrey MacHott

Sep 22, 2001, 8:16:48ā€ÆPM9/22/01

> Frustration....
> I have both WC1 and WC2 already... Don't worry.. they are NOT pirate
(except
> for those downloaded from thunderdogs... but I don't use them. I'm not
even
> sure if I still have them)..:/
> They just don't perform very well in Windows environment and in real-DOS I
> can't get my joystick (USB) to work... so..

so... get a good ol fashioned reliable parallel port joystick. You can get
one for $20, which will probably put you back about two weeks worth of
allowance :*) Old school works best sometimes :*)

> Unfortunately, the realdos drivers for SBLive are kind of crappy as
well...
> MIDI-doesn't work...
> Frustration...
>
> I just don't understand what you guys have to loose by letting us copy
your
> K.S., except for your "solerights"...
> It won't hurt anyone..

Quite the contrary, if you ask any economist worth his diploma, he/she will
tell you that by trying to pirate or steal something, you are in fact
hurting the national and even the world economy by selfishly refusing to
fuel it by spending money. You should be absolutly ashamed of yourself for
your selfish and foolish efforts to destabilize our economy, especially
during the current state of affairs! :*)

>After all, the game is not for sale any longer...

Quite the contrary, I saw it for sale on eBay just the other day for about
$100... :*)

> Ok... I know you all are tired of this discussion... but.. hey... I'm
really
> tired in NOT finding a copy of the game... You must understand this... I
> WANT to BUY it... But what else can I do but beg you guys to copy it for
me
> when it is IMPOSSIBLE to find... unless you're a millionaire....
> ...and I'm not....

The DOS games DO work, you know :*) I'm not a millionaire, I saved my
allowance and bought the game three years ago for $30 off of a guy in the
newsgroup who had an extra copy (His brother had given it to him for his
birthday, not realizing that he had it allready :*)

So the moral of today's story is: "Buy now, supplies are running out!"

--
--Jeffrey MacHott

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because
it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs."

Matias Nino

Sep 23, 2001, 7:32:25ā€ÆPM9/23/01
> Quite the contrary, if you ask any economist worth his diploma, he/she
will
> tell you that by trying to pirate or steal something, you are in fact
> hurting the national and even the world economy by selfishly refusing to
> fuel it by spending money. You should be absolutly ashamed of yourself
for
> your selfish and foolish efforts to destabilize our economy, especially
> during the current state of affairs! :*)

Actually. Software companies force consumers to bear the brunt of piracy by
overpricing their software to account for it. By pirating software, you are
not hurting the economy, you are simply forcing someone with a deeper wallet
to pay for your share. It's a catch-22 because most people pirate software
because they simply find it too expensive. The damage to the economy isn't
rooted in consumer selfishness/foolishness, it's rooted in a bad revenue
model.

And if I happened to pay $100 for a game, I'd probably hoard it to myself
also.