Re: 5.0.4 first blush

Message has been deleted

ĪŸϺ

Aug 29, 2012, 8:30:53 AM8/29/12
On 8/29/2012 12:50 AM, Lewis wrote:
> Ran a heroic, not too much trouble. Things I noticed, pet died a lot
> because growl was on and that was enough to pull focus off the tank
> every time. Also, pet had a lot lower health (109K, used to 145K
> buffed). No idea on dps as I don't run a meter. Things died quickly.
>
> Oh, and picked up over 2K rep in Shadowfang Keep.
>
> Was surprised we go the new pet and mount today from the collectors edition.

Worked on two toons last night...My Mage and druid...

As my mage is my main girl and raider, I spent a lot of time at the test
dummies. I use dual monitors and had Curse open on the other monitor
watching for add-on updates all night, and thankfully they updated
recount pretty quick, so I was able to work my numbers.

After playing an arcane mage since the release of Wrath, this is the
most significant change I can related to. I transitioned into Cata from
Wrath seamlessly and was able to adjust my thinking quickly. This is
going to take some getting used to. I did some reading up and decided
to write a couple of macros that helped. Based on my reading, I decided
to go with the frost bomb, then detonate it with Fire Blast....Does some
nice damage. I got the hang of the new rotation, but it's going to take
some getting used to. I had trouble writing a macro that casts Frost
bomb, then detonates it with Fire blast, but I couldn't get it to
work...seems simple, but it would only cast the frost bomb....Oh well,
have to play with it later. After talking to other mages we seemed all
to be haveing the same issue...It was like play style didn't matter and
"this is what you get" for dps. In cata, if I wanted to get a burst of
dps, I could unload AB and burn my mana, or hang back and do average dps
for a while...Now, it seemed no matter how we changed or tweaked or
tried different things, non of us could get a burst or get our dps to
change...up OR down...it was kinda just...there. I was averaging 34K on
a lvl 80 test dummy....AND the reason BTW, was that I believe they
changed the "Raider" test dummy to lvl 90 or something, because my
"misses" on it was almost comical. My arcane missles looked like they
were going around corners trying to avoid it...lol. It missed so my
times I was getting about 4K on it...lmao. At the time my mage still
was at the 17% hit cap. :)

Now - I changed my OS from Fire to Frost, in anticipation for leveling
to 90 and I wanted to play around with it... I really like it and
having my old Water Elemental buddy with his "wishing" sound around
again was nice. I hit the targets in front and found it was doing only
about 5K less than arcane. Was hitting about 27-29K on the lvl 80
dummy. Should be nice for leveling and fun.

Switched over to my resto /boomer Druid.
1) LOVE the new travel form...
2) LOVE the tree for glyph...I can go my old tree again when healing...
3) LOVE the new Brown tree vs. that ugly purple thing that we had for
cata for the tree of life.
4) HATE the fact that both Healbot and Vuhdo were broken and couldn't
test out heals.
5) HATE that as of now, glyphs seem to be...meh. You can almost run
without them.
6) Boomkin - Holy crap did they up the damage. This particular druid
is one I'm leveling and just dinged 84 last night, but I was doing
dailies the day before and last night and the damage was significantly
higher, without changing anything. In fact, they took away swarm from
the boomer , so I had one less thing to hit.

I know they are going to tweak stuff in the next few weeks with patches
as they find one class is OP and another is sucking....They always do,
but if this is any indication of the patch, I just might be VERY torn on
who my main is goign to be....I very loyal to my main girl - she has
been with me from day one, was my first toon and is always my go-to
girl, but the druid has got me excited. I never considered myself an
elite mage, but felt I was an excellent one (in PvE anyway), and
understood every aspect of her. Now she feels a tad foriegn....Need
lots more practice, practice, practice.....

Outside of toons -
LIKE - the mount button....
MIXED FEELINGS - on the shared mounts...Seems weird and diminished that
a level 68 is flying around on a Twilight Drake from the 3D achieve...Or
that a level 25 is riding around on a Armani Battle Bear from the 85
Troll instance...You wont see people farming mounts or farming reps for
mounts as much as they only have to do it for one toon now...
HATE life without carbonite maps...You realize quickly how bad the basic
WoW minimap is... :(

Anyway - Those are my impressions of day one...Sure there are more, but
this is getting long :)

Steve Kaye

Aug 29, 2012, 9:28:03 AM8/29/12
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:30:53 -0400, ?Ÿ? <nor...@whitehouse.gov>
wrote:

>On 8/29/2012 12:50 AM, Lewis wrote:
>> Ran a heroic, not too much trouble. Things I noticed, pet died a lot
>> because growl was on and that was enough to pull focus off the tank
>> every time. Also, pet had a lot lower health (109K, used to 145K
>> buffed). No idea on dps as I don't run a meter. Things died quickly.
>>
>> Oh, and picked up over 2K rep in Shadowfang Keep.
>>
>> Was surprised we go the new pet and mount today from the collectors edition.
>>
>Outside of toons -
>LIKE - the mount button....
>MIXED FEELINGS - on the shared mounts...Seems weird and diminished that
>a level 68 is flying around on a Twilight Drake from the 3D achieve...Or
>that a level 25 is riding around on a Armani Battle Bear from the 85
>Troll instance...

>You wont see people farming mounts or farming reps for
>mounts as much as they only have to do it for one toon now...

I'm not sure that it will make that much difference. How many people
farm for the same mount on multiple characters? I'd have thought that
most would have a character that is their mount collector and only
farm for them on that character.

It might even push some people to farm for a mount now when they
didn't think that it was worth it before.

steve.kaye
--
Jelan, 85 Priest Mingan, 85 Shaman Jaille, 80 Warlock
Kibbs, 85 Paladin Clokk, 84 Druid Belugar, 76 Warrior

Catriona R

Aug 29, 2012, 9:45:05 AM8/29/12

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:28:03 +0100, Steve Kaye
<nos...@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:30:53 -0400, ?Ÿ? <nor...@whitehouse.gov>
>wrote:
>
>>On 8/29/2012 12:50 AM, Lewis wrote:
>>> Ran a heroic, not too much trouble. Things I noticed, pet died a lot
>>> because growl was on and that was enough to pull focus off the tank
>>> every time. Also, pet had a lot lower health (109K, used to 145K
>>> buffed). No idea on dps as I don't run a meter. Things died quickly.
>>>
>>> Oh, and picked up over 2K rep in Shadowfang Keep.
>>>
>>> Was surprised we go the new pet and mount today from the collectors edition.
>>>
>>Outside of toons -
>>LIKE - the mount button....
>>MIXED FEELINGS - on the shared mounts...Seems weird and diminished that
>>a level 68 is flying around on a Twilight Drake from the 3D achieve...Or
>>that a level 25 is riding around on a Armani Battle Bear from the 85
>>Troll instance...
>
>>You wont see people farming mounts or farming reps for
>>mounts as much as they only have to do it for one toon now...
>
>I'm not sure that it will make that much difference. How many people
>farm for the same mount on multiple characters? I'd have thought that
>most would have a character that is their mount collector and only
>farm for them on that character.

Also on rare drop mounts people may *start* to farm on multiple
characters where they previously only used one. I'm thinking Attumen's
mount, Raven Lord etc here - when I feel like trying for those now,
I've got potentially 8 characters capable of soloing it, so 8 chances
instead of only one!

>It might even push some people to farm for a mount now when they
>didn't think that it was worth it before.

That it certainly will, my bf is buying a mammoth now he knows all his
account will get it! I'm following the same logic with the yak when
MoP comes, wouldn't be worth that kind of money for only one character
but for all of them? Sure.

ĪŸϺ

Aug 29, 2012, 9:53:09 AM8/29/12
mmmm - true(ish)....Guess that's somewhat valid. However, there are
cases where yes - people farmed for the same mount. I did it multiple
times for the green proto-drake, because I wanted a proto-drake mount
instead of a gryphon. My RL friend was a bit peeved last night because
he had just finished farming the rep for a nether mount from outlands on
his new toon on our new realm we moved to, that he wouldn't have had to
do. (He hasn't had much time in game to play, never-the-less read up on
the changes, so he didn't know...Hell - I haven't been following the
changes for this release as intently as the last one either) :)

Guess it's a all a matter of perspective...And I'm sure we'll see what
happens :)

ĪŸϺ

Aug 29, 2012, 10:00:46 AM8/29/12
OK - I see your logic there. Guess I wasn't thinking it through that
way. The fact that they'll run it for 8 chances, knowing their mount
collecting toon will get it vs. not have bothered running it on the
other 7 as those weren't the toon they wanted it on...OK - I'll buy that.

Fvert

Aug 29, 2012, 11:24:11 AM8/29/12
In article <slrnk3r7t9....@mbp55.local>,
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> Ran a heroic, not too much trouble. Things I noticed, pet died a lot
> because growl was on and that was enough to pull focus off the tank
> every time. Also, pet had a lot lower health (109K, used to 145K
> buffed). No idea on dps as I don't run a meter. Things died quickly.
>
> Oh, and picked up over 2K rep in Shadowfang Keep.
>
> Was surprised we go the new pet and mount today from the collectors edition.

I was on a bit last night. Didn't try to run anything or take the time
to set up talents. Had to go through a number of toons like my hunter
and redo the Equipment manager settings to be sure the right stuff was
in the right place.

Mounts both land and flying felt a bit quicker.

I noticed the character bank bags window has a new design, like there is
room for another set of bags under the first set. Any indication Blizz
is going to add more character bank bags?

It ran fine last night. This morning I tried to run it and looks like a
new patch (no big surprise). Unfortunately it would download it but not
apply it. Then I realized my account had run out of time so I added time
but it still won't apply it so I am having to download the whole client
to reinstall. I have to work this afternoon so probably won't get to
play until tonight, assuming it is playable.

Brian

Aug 29, 2012, 12:11:02 PM8/29/12

"IY?" <nor...@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
> On 8/29/2012 12:50 AM, Lewis wrote:
>> Ran a heroic, not too much trouble. Things I noticed, pet died a lot
>> because growl was on and that was enough to pull focus off the tank
>> every time. Also, pet had a lot lower health (109K, used to 145K
>> buffed). No idea on dps as I don't run a meter. Things died quickly.
>>
>> Oh, and picked up over 2K rep in Shadowfang Keep.
>>
>> Was surprised we go the new pet and mount today from the collectors
>> edition.
>>

> Worked on two toons last night...My Mage and druid...
>
> As my mage is my main girl and raider, I spent a lot of time at the test
> dummies. I use dual monitors and had Curse open on the other monitor
> watching for add-on updates all night, and thankfully they updated recount
> pretty quick, so I was able to work my numbers.

I bashed targs for a bit on my mage then my wife's bear and I went to
torment Onyxia for our weekly attempt at the mount. My wife rarely drops
below 70% health on this - today she was dogmeat on the first attempt when
we got to phase 2 and the whelps ate her. The fourth attempt she died
toward the end of phase 3 .. but it seems I cannot tank Ony on my own as a
mage for anywhere near as long as I could before- I took a *lot* more
damage from her than in past attempts..

After the 4 attempts she spat the dummy and raged off to play freecell for
the rest of the evening.

:/

ToolPackinMama

Aug 29, 2012, 12:19:24 PM8/29/12
Hi guys!

One thing I was really excited about was shared mounts. I discovered to
my delight that the two-seater RAF rocket was now available to all of my
toons!

The profession mounts are too, but they still need to meet the
profession requirements to use them.

I tried to train the battle-pet skill, but the derpy trainer seems to be
just a placeholder right now.

I deleted a couple of old toons I was tired of. Too many hunters, LOL.
Sold off all of my hunter's melee weapons.

Tried setting up my druid feral/guardian, and was struck by how little
difference between the two specs. Really don't see why they forced that
change. I LOVE the water-form glyph! I always thought the classic
water-form was ugly- it's wonderful to be an orca instead.

Why can't Druid's jump up out of water and fly away? Didn't we used to
be able to do that?

John Gordon

Aug 29, 2012, 12:53:50 PM8/29/12
In <k1lfeg$bgf$1...@dont-email.me> ToolPackinMama <philn...@comcast.net> writes:

> Tried setting up my druid feral/guardian, and was struck by how little
> difference between the two specs. Really don't see why they forced that
> change.

I think they changed it because it wasn't fair to the other tanks. When
not actively tanking a boss, bears could pop into kitty form and deal much
higher dps than other tank classes.

gor...@panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

Message has been deleted