Bored of spam?

Catriona R

May 8, 2008, 12:22:55 AM5/8/08

Saw this on the EU shaman forum:

"So i found out that its possible to kill the goldsellers.

However, you need a shaman to do so.

Luckily, i got one at level 24, which is high enough...

What you need to do, is place down your Fire Nova totem, and just before it
goes off, log out. The totem becomes neutral, and will 1 shot the sellers.

I did it last night, and killed one in SW, then i tried it on someone, but
couldnt do it, tried again today and managed to, so it can take a few
attempts, perhaps depends on where they are stood. "

And yep, it works... of course I had to try it :-D Wasn't just me either,
there was a permanent heap of corpses in the spammers' favourite spot by
the Orgrimmar bank, and usually a line of shamans appearing every time a
bot arrived ;-)

Be warned if you do try it: it comes at risk of a 3 hour ban on your
account, particularly if you abuse it to kill lots of bank alts (as a few
people have been doing... luckily my banker lives in Silvermoon...) No ban
for me yet but then I only actually killed one bot, too many other shammies
around! My shammy is on my 2nd account anyway, and the only char I'm using
much, so if I get a short ban it will have been worth it for the
satisfaction of removing a few spammers from activity ;-)
--
EU-Draenor:
Balgair - Human Rogue (lvl 70)

ScratchMonkey

May 8, 2008, 2:26:23 AM5/8/08
Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in

> What you need to do, is place down your Fire Nova totem, and just
> before it goes off, log out. The totem becomes neutral, and will 1
> shot the sellers.

How long does it last? Same timer as a normal totem?

I just created a new level 1 mule, parked in SW trade district. Sounds like
I need to run around SW and do the newb quests (like the wine ticket and
the sewing kit) to remove her as a target.

ToolPackinMama

May 8, 2008, 3:03:22 AM5/8/08

Wait a second: a totem will attack "friendly" targets?

Nibbler

May 8, 2008, 3:10:52 AM5/8/08

"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]

It's a bug the similar to the hunter snake trap that was fixed in the last
patch, but this one nails everything in the area. My lvl 1 bank bitch has
been killed a handful of times now with it as well, starting to get a tad
hacked off.

Nibbler

May 8, 2008, 3:13:08 AM5/8/08

ToolPackinMama

May 8, 2008, 3:16:57 AM5/8/08
Why not level her up a notch or two? It's not hard.

Mark (newsgroups)

May 8, 2008, 4:17:25 AM5/8/08
On May 8, 8:16 am, ToolPackinMama <philnbl...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Nibbler wrote:
> > "Catriona R" <catrionarNOS...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

Exactly. Anything that can be used to kill spammers is a good thing,
I'll just spend 30 minutes leveling up my bank alt.

steve.kaye

May 8, 2008, 4:23:58 AM5/8/08
On 8 May, 08:03, ToolPackinMama <philnbl...@comcast.net> wrote:
> ScratchMonkey wrote:
> > Catriona R <catrionarNOS...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in

No. The targets aren't friendly anymore - they are neutral because
the totem has no owner. It seems that the AoE one will attack neutral
targets.

I'm fairly sure that the one that targets mobs to shoot bolts of fire
at them won't attack neutral targets.

steve.kaye

Nibbler

May 8, 2008, 4:30:46 AM5/8/08

"ToolPackinMama" <philn...@comcast.net> wrote in message

The fire nova I got pinged with last night nailed me for about 300 damage, I
can't be arsed lvling up 5 lvls or so tbh, and the screams of consternation
coming from all over means it'll get changed in a week or so. Just means I
add a few more idiots to my ignore list.

It all comes around in the end I've already got my own back later refusing a
PUG with one of my many alts. Typical Monday night screams going out for a
healer and I refused a group cos they had the afforementioned idiot in the
group, who they promptly booted when I explained why.

The snake trap was one bug OK you only griefed the enemy faction who were
not PVP, but anyone trying to screw around with their own faction has to
expect some form of payback.

Going back to the orginal point, saw in Org last night a yell "All low
levels please vacate the area, rodent and gold spammer extermination due to
take place"

Shammy

May 8, 2008, 5:05:41 AM5/8/08
I am standing i SW now and I can confirm that there is several spammer
corpses on top of each other :D

If they remove this possibility they should do it AFTER they find another
way of getting rid of spammers...

Nibbler

May 8, 2008, 8:24:32 AM5/8/08

"Shammy" <no...@nothing.com> wrote in message

Went home at lunchtime having seen this thread standing near the bank
emptying the nights sales, and I noticed...... SpamMeNot didn't kick in
once. I've changed my mind keep the bug.

lcpltom

May 8, 2008, 8:56:25 AM5/8/08

My money is on this is why the PTR's came down on Monday, seeming to
indicate 2.4.2 was coming Tuesday, only for the PTR's to go up again
Monday night and 2.4.2 delayed for another week.

Catriona R

May 8, 2008, 10:34:56 AM5/8/08

It lasts 5 second, and there's only a very small window where you can log
off without it disappearing... basically if you see a shaman plant a fire
nova totem (only that one), run away :-)

Tbh I wouldn't worry about levelling up either, some lvl 70s can get their
totems to hit for 700 health... at least that's how much one hit me for
last night. Just be aware of what's around you!

Catriona R

May 8, 2008, 10:36:39 AM5/8/08

On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:30:46 +0200, "Nibbler" <Nib...@nibbles.com> wrote:

>Going back to the orginal point, saw in Org last night a yell "All low
>levels please vacate the area, rodent and gold spammer extermination due to
>take place"

Hehe I like it :D And yeah it's a shame some people are abusing it, I'm
already avoiding busy places on my low lvl characters as I've seen a few
bank alts get zapped. Personally I'm only using it on spammers... it's a
great way to get rid of them, just a shame it works on innocent people too.

Lancelet

May 9, 2008, 2:41:14 AM5/9/08

> On Thu, 08 May 2008 01:26:23 -0500, ScratchMonkey
> <ScratchMonk...@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
>>Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> What you need to do, is place down your Fire Nova totem, and just
>>> before it goes off, log out. The totem becomes neutral, and will 1
>>> shot the sellers.
>>
>>How long does it last? Same timer as a normal totem?
>>
>>I just created a new level 1 mule, parked in SW trade district. Sounds
>>like I need to run around SW and do the newb quests (like the wine
>>ticket and the sewing kit) to remove her as a target.
>
> It lasts 5 second, and there's only a very small window where you can
> log off without it disappearing... basically if you see a shaman plant
> a fire nova totem (only that one), run away :-)

I have two shaman on two realms that I don't play anymore. I tried to find
a goldspammer, but I was unlucky.

On the realm I play, a guildy tried to do it on my level 20 priest. It
never damaged me. We were not in the same group. Either he logged out to
soon, and the totem disapeared with him, or to late, and the totem exploded
at the same time he vent neutral. I saw the totem's lifebar appear when he
exploded. After 15 try, we forgot it.

Alphawolf

May 9, 2008, 7:17:17 AM5/9/08

Just in response to this, as my banker hasn't seen this totem abuse -
leveling is strictly VERBOTEN for my banker. Aside from his cozy
civilian life of finance, my banker is also a test case to see how
much you stuff can get and how many places you can go to without
leveling. His traveling days are over, being only 10 points away from
level 2, but I love finding grey and white quality items he can use -
the new fishing daily items have been the latest additions to his
wardrobe (cufflinks and monocle). So far he's got:

Brewfest mug MH (filled, wonder how long the stuff will keep?)
Fish OH
Brewfest goggles/Noble's Monocle for headgear
Brewfest Pony Keg
Valentine's Picnic Basket
Silver Cufflinks (bracers)
Tuxedo Pants and Shirt - for the dignified look
Ripped Ogre Loincloth - for the nondignified look :)

Some may recall he also had a Riding Broom long after Blizz
deactivated them, but only a few weeks afterward he accidently
performed an action to dismount himself and *poof* it was gone. Until
next Halloween...

----
Gnuthulhu, Undead Warlock
Fthagn, Undead Warrior
Rhyleya, Troll Hunter
Wydefoote, Tauren Shaman
Curwen, Blood Knight
Thunderhorn,US

Alphawolf

May 9, 2008, 7:17:13 AM5/9/08
On Thu, 08 May 2008 15:36:39 +0100, Catriona R
<catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:30:46 +0200, "Nibbler" <Nib...@nibbles.com> wrote:
>
>>Going back to the orginal point, saw in Org last night a yell "All low
>>levels please vacate the area, rodent and gold spammer extermination due to
>>take place"
>
>Hehe I like it :D And yeah it's a shame some people are abusing it, I'm
>already avoiding busy places on my low lvl characters as I've seen a few
>bank alts get zapped. Personally I'm only using it on spammers... it's a
>great way to get rid of them, just a shame it works on innocent people too.

I guess I need to hang out in Org more, because I just don't see most
of these spammers. Maybe they wised up and started hiding in the lest
frequented buildings? There are a ton of places in the capital cities
that almost no one ever goes to. I guess the best thing to do would
go hang out at the exit fo the Valley of Trials - I have seen them
running up the road to Org.

Tixover

May 9, 2008, 12:00:44 PM5/9/08
I know of a level one gnome who managed, after a summon to Booty Bay,
ran solo to the arena and managed to get the arena trinket without
assistance. The 2 level 70s who were still alive and fighting in the
arena when she ressed on the chest and looted it didn't seem to see the
funny side of it.

Tix

Pete B

May 9, 2008, 6:44:35 PM5/9/08
In article <68fdgoF...@mid.individual.net>,
catrion...@totalise.co.uk says...

> Saw this on the EU shaman forum:
>
> "So i found out that its possible to kill the goldsellers.
>
> However, you need a shaman to do so.
>
> Luckily, i got one at level 24, which is high enough...
>
> What you need to do, is place down your Fire Nova totem, and just before it
> goes off, log out. The totem becomes neutral, and will 1 shot the sellers.
>
> I did it last night, and killed one in SW, then i tried it on someone, but
> couldnt do it, tried again today and managed to, so it can take a few
> attempts, perhaps depends on where they are stood. "
>
> And yep, it works... of course I had to try it :-D Wasn't just me either,
> there was a permanent heap of corpses in the spammers' favourite spot by
> the Orgrimmar bank, and usually a line of shamans appearing every time a
> bot arrived ;-)
>
> Be warned if you do try it: it comes at risk of a 3 hour ban on your
> account, particularly if you abuse it to kill lots of bank alts (as a few
> people have been doing... luckily my banker lives in Silvermoon...) No ban
> for me yet but then I only actually killed one bot, too many other shammies
> around! My shammy is on my 2nd account anyway, and the only char I'm using
> much, so if I get a short ban it will have been worth it for the
> satisfaction of removing a few spammers from activity ;-)

Hehe, go go go :)

ScratchMonkey

May 10, 2008, 1:45:58 PM5/10/08
Tixover <tix...@no.mail.thanks> wrote in news:1210348844.429105@xnews001:

> I know of a level one gnome who managed, after a summon to Booty Bay,
> ran solo to the arena and managed to get the arena trinket without
> assistance. The 2 level 70s who were still alive and fighting in the
> arena when she ressed on the chest and looted it didn't seem to see the
> funny side of it.

OMG very funny story!