Bison's Cheesepeedo

Mystic

Jun 18, 1992, 12:29:31 PM6/18/92
I have never been able to figure out why everyone calls Bison's torpedo
by this name. I would appreciate it if somebody would enlighten me.... :)

M y s t i c s k c h i n @ t o m a t i l l o . u c d a v i s . e d u
U n i v e r s i t y o f C a l i f o r n i a D a v i s

Steve Larsen

Jun 18, 1992, 4:33:42 PM6/18/92
In article <14...@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> skc...@tamales.ucdavis.edu (Mystic) writes:
>I have never been able to figure out why everyone calls Bison's torpedo
>by this name. I would appreciate it if somebody would enlighten me.... :)

It has come to pass that using cheap moves on someone is known as
"cheesing" them. So Cheesepedo was adopted because Bison's torpedo
is viewed as a cheap move.

Steve

Richard John Rauser

Jun 18, 1992, 6:42:28 PM6/18/92
skc...@tamales.ucdavis.edu (Mystic) writes:

>I have never been able to figure out why everyone calls Bison's torpedo
>by this name. I would appreciate it if somebody would enlighten me.... :)

"Cheese" is a term used to refer to anything cheap, unfair, or something
that is easy to do, does much damage, and requires no skill. For example,
some people consider the Ken fireball, fireball, dragon punch combo
to be cheese because it can be next to impossible to get out of it (by the
way, I do'nt think this combo is cheese). Of course, the magic throw and
freeze/handcuffs that two-bit Guile assholes use is BEYOND cheese.

The reason people called the torpedo the "Cheesepedo" (I myself call
it the pieceofsh*tpedo) is because it's a dead easy move to execute
(takes no skill at all...just yank back on stick and then forward,
hitting punch button) and does incredible damage, even when blocked.
A no-talent piece of trash playing Champion Edition could (and many
do) know nothing about the game and still beat you with the cheesepedo
by simply mowing across the screen, back and forth.

Capcom had no brain when they put this stupid, f**king move inthe
game. M.Bison "experts" are a bunch of asswipes with no talent.

Nuff said.

--
Richard J. Rauser Holli Would If She Could
rau...@sfu.ca

Mark Steckler

Jun 19, 1992, 12:38:19 AM6/19/92
> Capcom had no brain when they put this stupid, f**king move inthe
>game. M.Bison "experts" are a bunch of asswipes with no talent.

Bison would not be able to win without that move. Bison, as is can be
defeated.. talk to any GOOD ryu/ken player with a quick wrist as well as
a quick uppercut. Bison can be in me, and 60% of the time (including when
I'm getting up) I uppercut them.

I've had some bisons nearly call my uppercut cheap.. that is after they
picked their jaw up off the ground. 8^)

J.T.

Jun 19, 1992, 4:39:47 PM6/19/92
skc...@tamales.ucdavis.edu (Mystic) writes:

I seems that some people become enraged when a newbie to the game
can use this over and over and over and eventually win.
I have never had a problem whith this but I take it some others have.
I usually block when he first hits and then while he is pushing me
towards the other side of the screen I let up on the block( it will
continue to block until the end of the manuver) and I either go for
a throw or I charge up a power manuver.
J.T.

Mike Popham

Jun 20, 1992, 8:57:21 PM6/20/92
In article <rauser.7...@sfu.ca> rau...@fraser.sfu.ca (Richard John Rauser) writes:
> The reason people called the torpedo the "Cheesepedo" (I myself call
>it the pieceofsh*tpedo) is because it's a dead easy move to execute
>(takes no skill at all...just yank back on stick and then forward,
>hitting punch button) and does incredible damage, even when blocked.
>A no-talent piece of trash playing Champion Edition could (and many
>do) know nothing about the game and still beat you with the cheesepedo
>by simply mowing across the screen, back and forth.
>
>--
>Richard J. Rauser Holli Would If She Could
>rau...@sfu.ca
>WNI Cool World

To stop the torpedo with:
Ken/Ryu - DP of course
Honda - jab punch, but don't do Hundred Hands
Blanka - jump up, forward kick
Vega - jump over it. I've heard you can use screaming eagle

Can you fireball/sonic boom/sonic kick/tiger flame/yoga fire/yoga flame
the torpedo?

Can sagat tiger uppercut the torpedo?

I think most characters in SFII can stop the torpedo (or take no damage)
without too much difficulty.

Mike

Spiral Death Trap

Jun 21, 1992, 3:08:59 AM6/21/92

In article <rauser.7...@sfu.ca> rau...@fraser.sfu.ca (Richard John Rauser) writes:
> The reason people called the torpedo the "Cheesepedo" (I myself call
>it the pieceofsh*tpedo) is because it's a dead easy move to execute
>(takes no skill at all...just yank back on stick and then forward,
>hitting punch button) and does incredible damage, even when blocked.
>A no-talent piece of trash playing Champion Edition could (and many
>do) know nothing about the game and still beat you with the cheesepedo
>by simply mowing across the screen, back and forth.
>
>--
>Richard J. Rauser Holli Would If She Could
>rau...@sfu.ca
>WNI Cool World

To stop the torpedo with:
Ken/Ryu - DP of course

Yes, but this takes a HELL of a lot more skill and practice than the torpedo.
I can beat most non-Blankas with Ryu but still have trouble getting a DP off
on .1 second notice, like you need to to beat Bison.

Honda - jab punch, but don't do Hundred Hands

Didn't know this one -- have to try it. Crouching or normal?

Blanka - jump up, forward kick

If they're dumb enough to torpedo into you as you're falling down, sure.
Anyone with any brains at all waits until you land, or does fast ones that
you can't jump back and head-kick.

Vega - jump over it. I've heard you can use screaming eagle

Sometimes, but it's not reliable.

Can you fireball/sonic boom/sonic kick/tiger flame/yoga fire/yoga flame
the torpedo?

Yes, but Bison moves so fast that he can jump across and kick you before you
recover.

Can sagat tiger uppercut the torpedo?

Yes. Does a shitload of damage, too. See the note for Ken/Ryu, though.

I think most characters in SFII can stop the torpedo (or take no damage)
without too much difficulty.

Bzzzzt. Just Zangeif with the Spinning Lariat. Instant, and infallible.
Guile can flash kick it, which isn't too tough.
Ken/Ryu/Sagat can uppercut it if they're very good.
Dhalsim can do continuous footdrills across which Bison will have a hard time
torpedoing or kicking, but this can be beaten with good timing.
Everyone else is screwed unless Bison is dumb enough to torpedo into as you
fall so you can kick his head out of it. I've had to learn Ryu just to beat
Bison players who trash my Blanka -- since no one else can besides the
occasional master Zangeif or Balrog. // g

Andy Kahn

Jun 21, 1992, 2:39:36 AM6/21/92
>To stop the torpedo with:

This is what I've gathered thus far with different characters to stop the
cheesepeedo:

Ken/Ryu: DRP or fireball (hurricane punch). I don't think there is a normal
jumping/standing kick or punch that you can execute to get away clean.
However, if you are too slow on the fireball, you will both take damage
and you will take the worst of it.

Guile: Flash kick and sonic boom will work successfully. Sonic boom will
have the same effect as Ken/Ryu's fireball if you execute it too slow.

Chun Li: Jumping back and hitting roundhouse I believe will be a clean
shot at the peedo. I don't think her 1000 feet thing will do it.
I also believe the head hop/head stomp will do it if you hit Bison
at a certain spot (I'm REALLY sketchy here).

Blanka: Jumping back and hitting roundhouse should do the trick. If you
do a Blanka ball at the peedo, I think you take SEVERE damage while Bison
takes a little.

Sagat: To a Tiger Uppercut or low tiger (does high work?). The low tiger
has the same effect as Ken/Ryu's fireball and Guile's sonic boom if
done too slowly (late).

Dhalsim: Yoga fire and flame should stop the peedo. Dunno if any
standard moves will do it.

Zangief: The double lariat stops it cold. Otherwise, I think a good bet
would just to block the peedo and go for a SPD right afterwards since
Zangief's grabbing range is incredible.

E. Honda: I don't think so on CE, but on SF2:Classic, you can use the hands.
Otherwise, you can time it and hit crouching jab (strong may work, but
I personally think jab is safer cause it's quicker and has a slightly
longer reach). I'm not sure on CE, but on Classic, Honda's torpedo
will trade damage with Bison's peedo, with Bison actually taking more
damange for once.

Vega, Balrog: Uhh... dunno... somebody fill me in. :-)

Bison: Use the cheesepeedo against itself! The amount of damage each person
takes varies each time. I don't understand how it works, but I've seen
too fallen Bison's do a peedo when both of them got up and once, one guy
sufferend more damage and the next time the other guy. Otherwise, I
don't know of any standard way to counter the peedo.

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::: "To be a dope man you must qualify... :::ack...@taco.ucdavis.edu :::

Joo C. Chung

Jun 21, 1992, 5:25:10 PM6/21/92
In article <1992Jun19.0...@nuchat.sccsi.com> to...@nuchat.sccsi.com

I agree, I don't think that the torpedo is that great of a move. Its easy to
avoid. and counter. For example, Chun Li could just jump right over it with no
problem. Sagat could do his fireball and so can ryu,ken, and dhalsim.

Its only cheap against idiots who never played the game before.

Brian Surratt

Jun 21, 1992, 7:32:27 PM6/21/92
In article <Bq67z...@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, mdpo...@ritchie.waterloo.edu

(Mike Popham) says:
>To stop the torpedo with:
> Ken/Ryu - DP of course
This is the cheap attack. The Dragon Punch. Or at least it is
when I play the computer on Champion. On the machine I play on,
when Ken has lost a match and has lost more than half his health
on a second match, the computer with do nothing but chase you back &
forth across the screen with his Dragon Punch. I usually play Vega,
and the only thing I've gotten to work really well is to time a slide
to hit him the second he touches down. Then try a suplex. When I try
a punch I usually take damage and get thrown. Has anyone else seen
this happen on other machines? Have any suggestions?

> Vega - jump over it. I've heard you can use screaming eagle

Heck, playing a Bison "master" I just watch his joystick in the few
seconds before the match starts. If he is hold the joystick as to prep
for a cheespedo, I just wait for him to launch it. And once he does I
jump, and do a round house. Hits him right in the head, and knocks him
out of it. Then walk in, feirce, feirce, jump over him and suplex.

Jumping out of the way works too. I've driven "masters" batty with this.
The torpedo back and forth, I keep jumping over them. You have to be
consistant with your reflexes though, but if you can keep it up, they
will faulter and then I go in and take advantage of their error.
You have to be careful not to get into a rythm. One guy got me into
a pattern once, and then through a slow-pedo at me. I jumped as soon as
he started, and hit the tale end of his flame, and got fried. He jumped
on me and started wailing. He only got me once though. :)

Any other Vega players out there have any tips. Could someone refresh
my memory on how to do the screaming eagle suplex? I used to be able
pull this off consistantly, ( I would do it to finish people, just to
see their jaws drop, it is the coolest move in the game), but I can't
pull it off anymore. Help?

Brian "The Ratt" Surratt
aka. the guy without a sigfile

Jeffery G. Wong

Jun 22, 1992, 1:57:39 AM6/22/92
>To stop the torpedo with:
> Ken/Ryu - DP of course
> Honda - jab punch, but don't do Hundred Hands
> Blanka - jump up, forward kick
> Vega - jump over it. I've heard you can use screaming eagle

Also, you can time a kick to the head (jump and land on his head with
a kick) and you *won't* get hit but will get Bison out of his
torpedo.

>Can you fireball/sonic boom/sonic kick/tiger flame/yoga fire/yoga flame
>the torpedo?

Any "flying object" can stop the torpedo, eg. sonic boom, fireball,
etc.

Jeffery G Wong BITNET --> jgw...@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
BrokWalk (IRC #AppleIIgs) INTERNET --> wo...@toadflax.cs.ucdavis.edu
AllNite (IRC #SFR) FVNET --> #6@#9 -or- #6@#16

Andy Kahn

Jun 22, 1992, 2:38:23 AM6/22/92
In article <92173.193...@psuvm.psu.edu> BPS...@psuvm.psu.edu (Brian Surratt) writes:
>Heck, playing a Bison "master" I just watch his joystick in the few
>seconds before the match starts. If he is hold the joystick as to prep
>for a cheespedo, I just wait for him to launch it. And once he does I

I don't know which is cheesier of the two: Bison's torpedo or someone trying
to sneak a peek at what the other person is doing just before a round
starts.

I find it very dishonourable; you might as well do that to every opponent
you play. It's just like cheating on a test.

Eric Lewine

Jun 22, 1992, 11:56:51 AM6/22/92
In article <14...@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ack...@tomatillo.ucdavis.edu (Andy Kahn) writes:
|> In article <92173.193...@psuvm.psu.edu> BPS...@psuvm.psu.edu (Brian Surratt) writes:
|> >Heck, playing a Bison "master" I just watch his joystick in the few
|> >seconds before the match starts. If he is hold the joystick as to prep
|> >for a cheespedo, I just wait for him to launch it. And once he does I
|>
|> I don't know which is cheesier of the two: Bison's torpedo or someone trying
|> to sneak a peek at what the other person is doing just before a round
|> starts.

Gee, I didn't know that Street Fighter 2 included a "no peeking" rule.
Maybe I should give this game a try, it sounds like I would have a lot
of fun interacting with the other players.

|> I find it very dishonourable; you might as well do that to every opponent
|> you play. It's just like cheating on a test.

Comparing a video game to academics could be the funniest thing I've read
in this group yet. I'm sure I'll see better, though.

--
Eric Lewine
lew...@dg-rtp.dg.com

Laettner for three ...... Good.

Chi Hang Tam

Jun 22, 1992, 8:48:25 AM6/22/92

>> Gee, I didn't know that Street Fighter 2 included a "no peeking" rule.
>> Maybe I should give this game a try, it sounds like I would have a lot
>> of fun interacting with the other players.

I agree. I'm a ken player and I like to watch Bison/Blanka players'
joystick before the matches start. If I think that the player's gonna
do a blank ball/torpedo/scissor kick, I'll start off the round with a
jab dragon punch.

>> Comparing a video game to academics could be the funniest thing I've read
>> in this group yet. I'm sure I'll see better, though.

--
------
| Chi Hang Tam | henr...@dg.com |

Scott Boulanger

Jun 22, 1992, 5:44:39 PM6/22/92
> Any other Vega players out there have any tips. Could someone refresh
> my memory on how to do the screaming eagle suplex? I used to be able
> pull this off consistantly, ( I would do it to finish people, just to
> see their jaws drop, it is the coolest move in the game), but I can't
> pull it off anymore. Help?

To do the aerial suplex - when close the the player, press one of the
punch buttons, instead of pressing the button a ways away from the player.

--Scottb

This is from
sco...@bluemoon.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

David Sweeney x2987

Jun 23, 1992, 2:14:10 PM6/23/92
In a previous article ct...@nodisk.webo.dg.com (Chi Hang Tam) writes:

> [watching opponent's hands discussion]

>I agree. I'm a ken player and I like to watch Bison/Blanka players'
>joystick before the matches start. If I think that the player's gonna
>do a blank ball/torpedo/scissor kick, I'll start off the round with a
>jab dragon punch.

Yeah. This is a great way to fake out some hand-watcher type players.
Don't watch their hands - watch their eyes! Hold the joystick in defensive
until they look at the screen - then walk in for an attack, or vice versa.
Fakes out most people at least once per game...

Another good thing to try against Ryu/Ken players who throw fireballs and
try to sweep you after you jump the fireball - (using Blanka, of course) back
up sa far as you can. When they throw a fireball, jump over it towards them,
but just out of range of their roundhouse sweep. If they hit the sweep and
miss, do a crouching roundhouse and whack'm off their Reeboks. Also, a good
thing to do to fireballers with Blanka is to roundhouse sweep under their
2 or 3 hits this way, you'll be up by an inch or three of health. You have to
be pretty fast to pull this off, but it's more fun than dueling supermoves
all day long...

[Note: I know Ken/Ryu don't wear shoes. It's a joke, son.]

--
Dave Sweeney
big...@tdd.sj.nec.com