Ticking --> Cheesing ???

John Bradshaw Tullner

Oct 3, 1993, 6:30:56 PM10/3/93
I am from Hampton, VA, but I have played from NC to NJ, and I have always
heard the term "cheese" used (and I use it) in the same sense that everyone
else uses "tick". Has anyone else heard this used anywhere? Before I
started reading this group a year ago I had never even heard of ticking, only
cheesing. Here at UVA I find that they also use cheese. Is this an East coast
thing? As a matter of fact, does anyone else here play on the east coast? I
can't recall any posts from here.

eric wu

Oct 4, 1993, 1:10:21 AM10/4/93

Back in ann arbor mich, they call it ticking "cheating"
at putt-putt arcade. they never heard of the word "tick"
and they are pretty decent players, at least one of them
anyways.

ERKC

Alex Werner

Oct 4, 1993, 11:41:33 AM10/4/93
In article <CECEJ...@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu>,

John Bradshaw Tullner <jb...@watt.seas.Virginia.EDU> wrote:
>cheesing. Here at UVA I find that they also use cheese. Is this an East coast
>thing? As a matter of fact, does anyone else here play on the east coast? I
>can't recall any posts from here.

The term cheesing is also pretty common. However, at least originally,
ticking had a more specific meaning, ie hitting someone and then throwing
after they block, whereas cheesing would be anything "cheap", and thereore
depended on the user, as in "damn those cheesy moves where Ken jumps
over you just as you're getting up and its IMPOSSIBLE to block because
he's behind you. And don't say I don't know how to block, because I do,
and me and a bunch of my friends will all swear that I was trying to
block it and its IMPOSSIBLE and if you use that cheesy cheap ass
trick you must SUCK because you're afraid to play like a real man"

And yes, I play SF2 on the east coast (when I'm at college) although there
is very little competition in the Philly area that I've found (anyone want
to correct me? I'm looking for somewhere with good players and a SSF2 machine)
--
Alex Werner | Math/CS | Haverford College
awe...@venus.haverford.edu awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu

Benjamin Louis Hayek

Oct 4, 1993, 6:27:15 PM10/4/93
awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

"damn those cheesy moves where Ken jumps
>over you just as you're getting up and its IMPOSSIBLE to block because
>he's behind you. And don't say I don't know how to block, because I do,
>and me and a bunch of my friends will all swear that I was trying to
>block it and its IMPOSSIBLE and if you use that cheesy cheap ass
>trick you must SUCK because you're afraid to play like a real man"

What's the matter, Alex? Don't know how to block a neck kick? You are
the ultimate scrub if you think that's a cheap move because it's impossible
to block. Don't post here until you learn how to play.
Ben.

Mike McCool

Oct 4, 1993, 8:13:22 PM10/4/93
Benjamin Louis Hayek (bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu) wrote:
: awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:
: >"damn those cheesy moves where Ken jumps

He was being sarcastic

(I hope)
--MLM

Eu-Ming Lee

Oct 4, 1993, 8:43:47 PM10/4/93
bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Benjamin Louis Hayek) writes:

>What's the matter, Alex? Don't know how to block a neck kick? You are
>the ultimate scrub if you think that's a cheap move because it's impossible
>to block. Don't post here until you learn how to play.
>Ben.

He was being sarcastic. Try to pay attention, your grades are slipping!
--
Eu-Ming Lee eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
"That kid from the bad home came over to my house again. Decapitated all

Adrian Bradley

Oct 5, 1993, 12:03:46 AM10/5/93

Did I ever get a chance to play you at Putt-Putt?? And when were you here?
'cause by now we have around 4 or 5 good SFII players (including a 12-year old
by the name of Albert).

BTW... at the Union arcade at U of Michigan we decided last year that ticking
was allowed, and most of us don't base our entire game on ticking anyways...
we do it when we have to win. The freshmen don't like it, but so??

*grin*

(wait a minute--- I rarely ever tick myself... I always thought the game was
a little more interesting when it's all out war. Doesn't mean I don't throw
though - hell in Putt Putt sometimes jumping in without hitting a button, and
*then* throwing is considered "cheap"). None of the good players care though.

==Adrian

Alex Werner

Oct 5, 1993, 4:54:44 PM10/5/93
In article <28q803$n...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

Benjamin Louis Hayek <bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>What's the matter, Alex? Don't know how to block a neck kick? You are
>the ultimate scrub if you think that's a cheap move because it's impossible
>to block. Don't post here until you learn how to play.
>Ben.

What's the matter, Ben? Don't you know what sarcasm is? Don't post here
until you learn how to read...

--
Alex Werner | Math/CS | Haverford College
awe...@venus.haverford.edu awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu

"...do you think a princess and a guy like me could..." "No"

John Q. Ronstedt

Oct 5, 1993, 8:20:49 PM10/5/93
awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>In article <28q803$n...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>Benjamin Louis Hayek <bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>>What's the matter, Alex? Don't know how to block a neck kick? You are
>>the ultimate scrub if you think that's a cheap move because it's impossible
>>to block. Don't post here until you learn how to play.
>>Ben.

>What's the matter, Ben? Don't you know what sarcasm is? Don't post here
>until you learn how to read...

If that was sarcasm, I didn't get it. Every time Ben or anyone else
on this net uses sarcasm, I get it fairly easily. Given your history
of scrubbish posts, I assumed that you suck, and I am sure that I could
beat you at least 90 percent of the time. I hear stories of how
Seth has played some of these people on the net (soo bum cho or something)
and he beat them fairly easily. If you can't beat Seth, don't even
bother paying a visit here. Stay home.

Benjamin Louis Hayek

Oct 6, 1993, 1:06:10 AM10/6/93
awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>In article <28q803$n...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>Benjamin Louis Hayek <bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>>What's the matter, Alex? Don't know how to block a neck kick? You are
>>the ultimate scrub if you think that's a cheap move because it's impossible
>>to block. Don't post here until you learn how to play.
>>Ben.

>What's the matter, Ben? Don't you know what sarcasm is? Don't post here
>until you learn how to read...

Wait, I thought that everyone decided that sarcasm didn't work on the net.
Did we change our mind again? And besides, just because you can be sarcastic
doesn't mean that you are all of a sudden not a scrub. What was the purpose
of your post in the first place? I can't even remember now, so it must have
been pretty stupid.

Seth James Killian

Oct 6, 1993, 8:25:55 AM10/6/93
pri...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (John Q. Ronstedt) writes:

>awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>If that was sarcasm, I didn't get it. Every time Ben or anyone else
>on this net uses sarcasm, I get it fairly easily. Given your history
>of scrubbish posts, I assumed that you suck, and I am sure that I could
>beat you at least 90 percent of the time. I hear stories of how
>Seth has played some of these people on the net (soo bum cho or something)
>and he beat them fairly easily. If you can't beat Seth, don't even
>bother paying a visit here. Stay home.

No, no, no. I played that guy 'Merlin's' friends, who he claimed were the best in Chicago. Whatever... I was supposed to
play Soobum with Ming one time, but I didn't have a car. So yes,
I play netters from time to time and they have never gone above 20%
wins, but I have never played Soobum, ask Ming if you want his
profile. And that was sarcasm, and I did get it. The quotes and
giant capital letters every line helped out. The reason you get it
when Ben uses sarcasm is because he never stops. Geez, you guys have
got some kind of bloodlust for flaming here... you're out of control.

Jeb Buford Lee

Oct 6, 1993, 10:45:02 AM10/6/93
skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:
> No, no, no. I played that guy 'Merlin's' friends, who he claimed were the best in Chicago. Whatever... I was supposed to
> play Soobum with Ming one time, but I didn't have a car. So yes,
> I play netters from time to time and they have never gone above 20%
> wins, but I have never played Soobum, ask Ming if you want his
> profile. And that was sarcasm, and I did get it. The quotes and
> giant capital letters every line helped out. The reason you get it
> when Ben uses sarcasm is because he never stops. Geez, you guys have
> got some kind of bloodlust for flaming here... you're out of control.

Seth actually soobums not that good hes the one who suggested
that the knee throw could possibly be an effective tick
because he did it 13 times in a row to some scrubs :)
(yes mr. baal has a long memory) which means he cannot
be that good...and he plays guile what more can i say ?
Seth didnt i say we rated a 1.1 at least on a TOMA meter ??
comeon most of us here are proabably 1.5 TOMA's for sure...

(_______)
\ \ / /
\ /
____________\_/
/|| ||
/ || 666 ||
/ ||_________||
* || ||
"" ""
What are you a Boofoologous or something ?!??!
Lord Baal.......

Alex Werner

Oct 6, 1993, 12:05:26 PM10/6/93
In article <28tjo2$7...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

Benjamin Louis Hayek <bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:
>
>>In article <28q803$n...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>>Benjamin Louis Hayek <bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>>awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:
>Wait, I thought that everyone decided that sarcasm didn't work on the net.
>Did we change our mind again? And besides, just because you can be sarcastic
>doesn't mean that you are all of a sudden not a scrub.
True. On the other hand, just because I took the time to answer someone's
questions doesn't mean that I _am_ a scrub. As a matter of fact, I'm sure
that most of the UIUC players could beat me fairly easily because I have no
regular place to play with good competition.

> What was the purpose
>of your post in the first place? I can't even remember now, so it must have
>been pretty stupid.

If you really care, someone asked what the difference between ticking and
cheaping was, and instead of doing the UIUC thing and saying "If you asked
a question like that you must be such a fucking scrub and don't even bother
coming here to play because we'd kill you in a second just go hide in you
fucking bushes and never post here again until you learn to play" I answered
his question...

Thomas Calvin Cannon

Oct 6, 1993, 2:27:29 PM10/6/93

Creative editing of previous posts and then flaming the poster is a lousy
way to pass time Ben....get a hobby.

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Jeb Buford Lee

Oct 6, 1993, 5:45:05 PM10/6/93
awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>If you really care, someone asked what the difference between ticking and
>cheaping was, and instead of doing the UIUC thing and saying "If you asked
>a question like that you must be such a fucking scrub and don't even bother
>coming here to play because we'd kill you in a second just go hide in you
>fucking bushes and never post here again until you learn to play" I answered
>his question...

Look lets be fair we at uiuc only say things like that
if someone asks and insists on being a moron by
posting things like "you can dp anything if timed right"
or look the knee tick might be effective....in which
case we reply "listen freak you are a moron and you
suck"

Eu-Ming Lee

Oct 6, 1993, 7:08:09 PM10/6/93
jb...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeb Buford Lee ) writes:

> Seth actually soobums not that good hes the one who suggested

Soobum never claimed to be anything better than a scrub. Unfortunately
for him, people don't play SF regularly where he goes to school. Without
decent competition, your skills can never improve.

I've played him a few times, but unfortunately he wasn't good enough to
beat me unless I let him. And the same went for all of the rest of the
competition that was there that day. You can't really learn much by
watching someone destroy the rest of the competition. You really need
two very good players of approximately the same skill level if you want
to improve your skill by watching.

I'm still open to any challengers who may be in the Chicagoland area.
Currently I can't even find a HF machine near me. (Yes, Seth, I moved
closer to Dennis' and they got rid of HF and put CE in its place. Argh.)
So drop me some email if you're interested in how I play. Be prepared
to spend about $4-$5, though. I met one person off the net, and he
played two games and left.

Benjamin Louis Hayek

Oct 7, 1993, 12:45:52 PM10/7/93
skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

> No, no, no. I played that guy 'Merlin's' friends, who he claimed were the best in Chicago. Whatever... I was supposed to
> play Soobum with Ming one time, but I didn't have a car. So yes,
> I play netters from time to time and they have never gone above 20%
> wins, but I have never played Soobum, ask Ming if you want his
> profile. And that was sarcasm, and I did get it. The quotes and
> giant capital letters every line helped out. The reason you get it
> when Ben uses sarcasm is because he never stops. Geez, you guys have
> got some kind of bloodlust for flaming here... you're out of control.

Seth, are you on crack, or something? First of all, this same guy wrote
about his friends not doing the neck kick because it was totally cheap. I
didn't touch it then. But he said the same thing again. What was I supposed
to think, except that he's a scrub. The only reason why he said he was being
sarcastic, IMO, was because Ming and you said that it was obvious. Think
what you want, but two posts saying the same thing is not being sarcastic.
Why the hell is this freak talking about the neck kick anyway? Seth, you are
a french spaniard. I think that you're bloodthirsty for something else.
Maybe Bethany Cox? Yeah, we all know it. You want her.

Anway, this Soobum guy is pretty good; that is, against scrubs. Sorry Soobum,
but when you came up to Galaxy World, and I beat your HF Guile with my Chun
Li, I didn't think you were very good. But when my friend who never plays Sf
beat you one round with Chun, I lost all respect for you. Maybe you were just
having a bad day, or something... Sorry.
Ben.

Benjamin Louis Hayek

Oct 7, 1993, 12:48:43 PM10/7/93
awe...@ralph.cs.haverford.edu (Alex Werner) writes:

>If you really care, someone asked what the difference between ticking and
>cheaping was, and instead of doing the UIUC thing and saying "If you asked
>a question like that you must be such a fucking scrub and don't even bother
>coming here to play because we'd kill you in a second just go hide in you
>fucking bushes and never post here again until you learn to play" I answered
>his question...

If my memory serves me correctly, no one from UIUC even bothered to reply
to that guy. We leave that up to other freaks.
Ben.

un03...@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

Oct 7, 1993, 10:02:28 PM10/7/93
Given your history of flamish posts, I assume that you're a dick. Anybody
can block a neck kick. Also, how do know you could beat him? You sound
more like a scrub. It's called a life, get one.

soobum cho

Oct 8, 1993, 2:39:19 AM10/8/93
bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Benjamin Louis Hayek) writes:

>having a bad day, or something... Sorry.
>Ben.

No need for apologies. I was no good then. Still did that stupid
follow slow sb non-stop thinking I was playing Classic.

-Soobum

Rob Tan

Oct 8, 1993, 4:01:44 AM10/8/93
How does one counter Blanka's vertical roll with either Dharlsim or
Vega? Especially when done real close up that it hits you when it goes
up & then hits you on the other side on the way down? I've just played
people that just do that non-stop.. roll after roll.. with Vega I find
that sometimes I can get a standing strong in before another roll
starts.. so anyone out there with a solution?

Oh, and seeing as I'm starting out with these two chacrters, any help on
what they can or should do against any of the charcters will be real
helpful.. thanks..