Best Player

Chocobo

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
"V. Equinox" wrote:

> Who's the best player in this newsgroup?

It depends on which game you're talking about, since no one who bothers
with this newsgroup has established himself as being better overall. The
only one I know for sure is that Sabin (Arturo) is the best for MVC2.
Probably MVC1 also, since NY is the only place where people still play
it. Maybe Alpha 3, too. For ST I know Seth Killian and Julien Beasley
are at the top. Viscant and Spiderdan are near the top for VS games,
tragic's the best for Tekken. Apologies to anyone I'm leaving out due to
lack of knowledge.

Or if you want to count John Choi as part of this newsgroup due to his
one post yesterday, then he would be the best.

V. Equinox

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
In article <398A28D2...@mindspring.com>,
Chocobo <cho...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"V. Equinox" wrote:
>> Who's the best player in this newsgroup?
>It depends on which game you're talking about, since no one who bothers
>with this newsgroup has established himself as being better overall. The
>only one I know for sure is that Sabin (Arturo) is the best for MVC2.
>Probably MVC1 also, since NY is the only place where people still play
>it. Maybe Alpha 3, too. For ST I know Seth Killian and Julien Beasley
>are at the top.

Mike Watson posted a few times like last week. I think he counts =)

> Viscant and Spiderdan are near the top for VS games,
>tragic's the best for Tekken. Apologies to anyone I'm leaving out due to
>lack of knowledge.
>Or if you want to count John Choi as part of this newsgroup due to his
>one post yesterday, then he would be the best.

He stops by every once in a while, and probably reads here from time to
time.
--
Shaun P. McIsaac
(508) 761 - 4722 People are more violently opposed to fur than

RAZCAN

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Ive been reading Viscant posts for years he used to post on AOL boards too but
I think they took all the good ones down.

Viscant

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
>Ive been reading Viscant posts for years he used to post on AOL boards too
>but
>I think they took all the good ones down.

All I have to say regarding that is...
LOL
I haven't gained much sanity since those old days, but I always proved my
point.
Gee, how long has it been...2 years since I was the symbol of a nobody going to
my first major tournament and beating all the "names" and now I am one of the
system. Funny really.

As for the original question(s):
MvC1: Arturo is the best on the NG because Eddie doesn't post
MvC2: I own all and will prove it at nationals in Chicago (or Florida or
wherever they choose to hold this. I will go as long as Greyhound drives there
or Southwest flies there). Seriously though, I think Arturo is probably the
best (for now...) because Valle/Duc don't post.
Beyond that, it would get to a ridiculous point where personal opinion would
get too involved, especially where Alphas and ST is involved, just due to the
simple fact that Valle, Choi, Watson, Thao Duong, and on and on don't post.
That's the single biggest problem with this newsgroup as a whole. The best
players don't post and don't really want to have anything at all to do with
this place anymore.
A part of the problem is the amount of misinformation that is being spread on
the NG. Like, if there were just a few things that needed pointing out, that
would be taken care of in the traditional AGSF2, a healthy does of flaming (see
Stilt Man files, then multiply). The problem is that there is too much stuff
to flame each area. Like, I was reading the MvC2 rankings thread that
restarted itself (it got to about 31 by the time I saw the first post of it).
I started reading the first few replies and thought "hm, I should post and
correct things." Then, I kept reading and it got ridiculous around the point
where people were trying to put Ken as worst shoto, which is completely
asanine, as Ken is the only shoto EVER used in tournament play (he busts up
Strider/Doom trap as a helper or as a point, is the best anti-air helper in the
game, bar none; busts up Blackheart without effort, etc etc). Anyways, I
stopped reading at this point and decided to start writing replies. I got to
writing when I started skimming the rest of the posts and decided to just scrap
the effort as a whole because for the most part it would take me too long to
answer all the points individually.
I also noticed that other NG stalwarts, like SpiderDan, decided against even
venturing into that thread and thought it best to kind of keep out of it as
well. I mean, I guess that makes me part of the problem too, but there's
simply too much BS for one or two people to shovel away alone.
Huge contrast to other NG I read (only one I still follow regularly is
rec.games.diplomacy, the newsgroup about the board game of diplomacy). In that
forum, the top names in the field, Edi Birsan and Chris Martin (which I guess
are the Diplomacy equivalent of Valle/Choi/both Cannon bros. and Tomo,
respectively), these guys still post and they still answer everything. Mainly
this is manageable because that newsgroup is followed by a higher type of
person in some respect (No real equivalent of dO u gUyz kNo hw tO do aKumA's
dEatH mOve?!?! posts). These guys even stopped to answer one of my posts on a
subject, and even though I was about as wrong as a person can get, they still
managed to point out everything and helped me improve my game. That's how a
newsgroup should work.
I mean, I'm not blaming anyone in our upper echelon by bringing that example
up. I'm just saying that it's impossible at this point for AGSF2 to be
anything more than a craphole, useful for minimal things. There are simply too
many know nothing people who post a LOT, too many people who follow this to
have all of their concerns properly addressed, too many collective errors to be
corrected. You get the idea. This place is still useful for tournament
announcements (scrubs show up at about a 30% higher rate when SHGL tournament
announcements are posted here), useful for release dates and a few other
things. I don't pretend that this is a good place to go to in order to talk
strategy anymore, and the elite guys really don't either.

--Viscant, The Icy Rose

Julien B Beasley

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
In article <20000804032917...@ng-md1.aol.com>,

vis...@aol.com (Viscant) wrote:
> Huge contrast to other NG I read (only one I still follow regularly is
> rec.games.diplomacy, the newsgroup about the board game of
diplomacy). In that

Wow, you play dip?
I used to run a play by mail zine in high school (this was before I
knew the internet existed, in '92). It ran a couple years. I've played
a couple of nopress games by email, but I never had the time to play
press games: I just can't keep up with the email commitment for the
year or so it takes to finish a game.

Anyways, when I was at MIT I used to hang out with one of the legends
and I didn't even know it. I used to play Magic and random games with
Dan Shoham, who wrote the diplomacy academy on the Pouch. I had talked
with him a few times about diplomacy, and he mentioned that he played
it, but I had never realized he was the best on the internet. Check out
his articles on the Dip pouch if you haven't already. It's great
reading. For example:

http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Zine/S1995M/Shoham/Academy.html

Makes me want to start playing Dip again... I was always too weak to be
good at dip. I'm too "care-bear" and I never want to stab anyone.

Julien

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fluffy

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
vis...@aol.com (Viscant) wrote:
> >Ive been reading Viscant posts for years he used to post on AOL
boards too

I was known to read on post on those boards too in my AOL
days...(shudder)...oh the pain...

> Huge contrast to other NG I read (only one I still follow regularly is
> rec.games.diplomacy, the newsgroup about the board game of diplomacy).
In that

I think part of the problem is that this news group is covering such a
broad spectrum of games now. I mean, it covers games from SFII:WW to
MVC2 and soon to be Capcom vs. SNK.

It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be an
elitist group. I mean, if you haven't been around them since the good
old days of HF, then you're not "old school." On my few trips to LA and
your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to welcome me
at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius, and
SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

And there is a lot of false information spread here, but that's because
no one will ever correct it. Everyone (top players especially) lives by
the slogan, "save it for nationals" which means once a year, people are
set straight. That whole institution just doesn't seem right to me.
The worst thing is that I know the top players do share information with
eachother, I guess to keep the element of suprise factor in their
gaming. If you're not around one of them, then you don't get the
opportunity to ever find out.

--
Fluffy

Sean Hoyles

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
<snipped pretty much all of Viscant's stuff as I am dealing more with
Fluffy's comments here>

>I think part of the problem is that this news group is covering such a
>broad spectrum of games now. I mean, it covers games from SFII:WW to
>MVC2 and soon to be Capcom vs. SNK.

This may be part of the problem. I somehow doubt it, though. Although
Capcom has many games under its belt now, not all of these are
discussed to any great length. Usually, the older games pop up in
threads which a) are not really worth answering ("have you played
SFII:WW on callus?") or b) have been discussed to death previously
("who do you think is the best character in such and such a game?").
Although this may be the first time that a certain new individual has
heard such a discussion, it's probably all old news to someone who has
been on this news group any length of time. I think the fact that many
games have been discussed exhaustively may have something more to do
with the quality of the postings than does the number of games covered.
If anything, the wider spectrum of games would normally be expected to
increase the amount of high-quality discussion in the forum.

>It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be an
>elitist group. I mean, if you haven't been around them since the good
>old days of HF, then you're not "old school." On my few trips to LA
>and your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to
>welcome me at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius, and
>SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
>anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
>community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
>You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

I agree that it's easy to get that feeling. While this perception may
be true of some SF players, it doesn't necessarily hold true for all.
Some of the "elitist" members are actually pretty friendly if you get
to know them to any degree. As a good example, I posted a news message
a long time ago in which I, on a side note, thanked John Choi (a
definite member of the "elite" if there is such a thing) for his
feedback regarding an FAQ I made up for A2. A week later, John actually
e-mailed me to thank me for my compliment and for my post which he
thought was pretty good - and he did this all of his own volition. I
have talked to Choi a couple of times since then asking many questions
which he probably may have interpreted as rather basic. Part of the
thing with Choi, which he openly admits, is that he would much rather
talk about strategy than spend long hours writing about it (and given
the relative amounts of time to talk versus write, can you blame him?).
Nevertheless, despite this fact, he has still often provided me with
lengthy and comprehensive responses to my inquiries - not because he
had to but because he didn't mind taking the time to do so. While I
have been playing SF since the original, I doubt very much if I would
be considered "elite" - and certainly not within Choi's SF community.
Of course, this doesn't mean that everyone with a question should now
flood Choi's inbox with messages. What this example was simply meant to
point out was that these guys do not necessarily consider
themselves "elitist" nor do they purposely set out to partition
themselves away from the average player. Choi is only one example of
this. I have in the past talked with others, too, through various
message boards, discussion groups, and e-mail. Derek Daniels (Omni),
Julien Beasley, and a handful more I am probably forgetting. Even Apoc,
who purposely prides himself on being "elite", has made attempts in the
past to communicate to me the error of my own ways (see the long-winded
thread I started way back regarding "Why Alpha 3 Bites the Big One" for
examples of how he disagreed with me and then articulately tried to
demonstrate how he thought I was way off base).

The point is that some players choose to post and others don't, all for
varying reasons. That's just life, not necessarily elitism. Sometimes,
we may assume that because a certain player is high profile and doesn't
post often to the group, that he or she considers himself elite and
above everybody else. Probably sometimes that is the case, but we
shouldn't necessarily assume it is true of everyone. I haven't posted
to this group in a long time either (maybe about 3 or 4 months) but
nobody would consider me as having an elitist attitude. Why is that?
Simply because, for the average joe, I don't matter to any great
degree.

As for the lack of communication at tournaments, I can't comment too
much (never been to one myself, actually). One thing to keep in mind,
however, is that some people (myself included) find it much harder to
talk with total strangers when the keyboard isn't present. At the same
time, many players are probably just preoccupied with the tournament
situation and find too much banter distracting. There are a million
reasons why people wouldn't necessarily talk to a given individual in
the tournament setting. Perception of elitism is only one of them.

>And there is a lot of false information spread here, but that's
>because no one will ever correct it. Everyone (top players especially)
>lives by the slogan, "save it for nationals" which means once a year,
>people are set straight. That whole institution just doesn't seem
>right to me. The worst thing is that I know the top players do share
>information with eachother, I guess to keep the element of suprise
>factor in their gaming. If you're not around one of them, then you
>don't get the opportunity to ever find out.

One gripe which many high profile posters have had with the news group
is that correcting others' mistakes and offering advice is often not
worth the effort. In depth answers and posts are often either a)
ignored completely; or b) stubbornly taken as false no matter how
effectively the individual originally made his/her argument. I have
talked to several people where I know this has been the case. You will
probably only post so many times before you will severely begin to
question the point in spending so much time posting counter arguments
when they will often either be completely passed over or never taken as
credible in the first place. A case in point would be Apoc's attempt at
doing a critical analysis of all my criticisms regarding why A3 sucked.
His initial plan was to break up my arguments into sections and then
point out the holes in each one. He maybe got to the third section
before he was overrun by other posters telling him he was way off the
mark in his previous points. He eventually gave up the exercise all
together and I can't say I blame him. What would be the point if a
handful of posters are still going to fight with you tooth and nail
that you were wrong no matter what you posted up? The fact that he put
up anything at all should have been taken as commendable on his part
given that it was his second time writing it through (his first cut got
bombed by Deja before he could post it). Instead, people got in his
face about it and the whole thing just went tired - he must have just
reached a point where he said "fuck it, this ain't worth the hassle."
And that was the end of a potentially informative thread.

I guess what I am saying is that the elitism is true up to a point but
that it also serves as a convenient excuse and the "elite" a convenient
scapegoat for why the current news group stinks. I personally think
that the group stinks for a lot more reasons than this. While it is
true that most of the "bigwigs" in the SF community no longer post to
a.g.sf2, one also has to carefully ask why this is so. Discussing SF
issues should be fun and enjoyable, not annoying and tiresome. If it is
more the latter than the former, then perhaps they are right in not
posting here.

And on a final note: if these players really considered themselves
elite, why would many of them have started the www.shoryuken.com site?
In many ways, this site was established to get around the various
problems and woes of the news group (although I still occasionally
catch whiffs of the new group's stink on the shoryuken message boards).
The fact that these players share their secrets and divulge more
information amongst themselves is at least partly due to the fact that
some of them spend so much time in close distance to one another - they
have the advantage of proximity on their side. While you won't learn
all their tricks and tactics from shoryuken, at least an effort is
being made to pass some useful info down the chain from "elite"
to "novice" (or "scrub", choose your own semantic here). You won't find
anything similar to that on a.g.sf2, I don't think. I once told
somebody that searching for informative material on a.g.sf2 was liking
diving for oysters. You usually have to wade through a hell of a lot of
oyster shit to find a single pearl. That was true then and it is still
pretty much true now. Then again, the news group also opened the door
to many contacts and peers who have proven quite useful to me on SF
issues so I guess it hasn't all been bad. Even in a mountain of shit, I
guess you can occasionally come across the scattered rare gem.

Just my two cents on the issue. Shrug.

Sean Hoyles
Leader of the Newfoundland scrub nation in that paradise to the north,
Canada ; - )

--
Sean Hoyles
NF, Canada

My Social Research Web Site:
http://www.mystery.nf.net/fc/social/socialframe.htm

Home Page:
http://www.mystery.nf.net/fc/personal/index.htm

Ancient SFA2 Page:
http://www.mystery.nf.net/fc/

David Gutierrez

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00

Final Atomic Buster <captain...@excite.com> wrote:
<snipped>
>Back to my first paragraph, maybe there is a chance I can prove myself....
>along
>with anyone else who wants to. Capcom are putting most of the DC fighting
>titles
>with Net play aren't they? If and when the server gets running along down
>here
>maybe I could go up against some of you! I know I will definitely learn
from >it.
>It seems like a good idea, maybe Capcom saw the problem all along and
>thought of
>this way to help rectify it

Net play would definitely solve a problem I have. I have no way to prove
myself either. I live in southern Texas and arcades around here don't
believe in getting new Street Fighters anymore. I also don't have the means
to travel to any tournaments or anything like that. I haven't played
competitively against other players since Alpha 2. I was able to play the
SF3 games in the arcades, but it was at a small arcade where no one goes.
The only game left here to play against others is Marvel vs Capcom 2 and
that really isn't my game. Although, I fared pretty well. So, I for one am
looking forward to net play.

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
In article <8mdvfd$avh$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>In article <20000804032917...@ng-md1.aol.com>,

>It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be an
>elitist group. I mean, if you haven't been around them since the good
>old days of HF, then you're not "old school." On my few trips to LA and
>your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to welcome me
>at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius, and
>SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
>anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
>community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
>You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

That theory falls on it's face with someone like MikeZ.

>Before you buy.

Vidness

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00

"Chocobo" <cho...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "V. Equinox" wrote:
>
> > Who's the best player in this newsgroup?
>
> <snippage action>

> tragic's the best for Tekken. Apologies to anyone I'm leaving out due to

Hey tragic! I challenge you for your Tekken crown!!! Also I'll claim the
Soul Calibur crown if no one else does...I've won a tourny & placed
quarter-finals in one...

-Vidness

Lg Mack

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
I am

mr_guy

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
>Back to my first paragraph, maybe there is a chance I can prove
myself.... along
>with anyone else who wants to. Capcom are putting most of the
DC fighting titles
>with Net play aren't they? If and when the server gets running
along down here

Hate to spoil it for you man, but I'm 90% sure its not being set
up here.... which rfeally bites considering how big this damn
country is, I know of three people from Australia who post here
(yourself included) one lives in Victoria, I'm in Sydney and
the other ones in Queensland and I don't need to tell you what a
bitch that drive would be

mr_guy/XNDL

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Final Atomic Buster

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

Viscant wrote:

hmmm.. My apologies go out to all that read this if I am one of those who ruin the
NG. I know I haven't been able to prove myself yet, and probably never will seeing
as I'm in Australia, but I know that my skills in the game have improved
dramatically since I have started visiting this NG.

It is a shame that the "save it for the nationals" rationale has stopped knowledge
to circulate faster. And a shame that the elites don't post here either. But this
place is very broad and does cover a wide range of games, so there is bound to be
a wider community watching it. I think it is a good thing to keep it going the way
it is. Don't interupt a tread unless you really feel the need to, like if someone
posting has completely lost the plot. Pity about that MvC2 rankings, I think i
started that post a month ago with an innocent question! :)

Back to my first paragraph, maybe there is a chance I can prove myself.... along
with anyone else who wants to. Capcom are putting most of the DC fighting titles
with Net play aren't they? If and when the server gets running along down here

maybe I could go up against some of you! I know I will definately learn from it.

It seems like a good idea, maybe Capcom saw the problem all along and thought of

this way to help rectify it.

Final Atomic Buster

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
Hey, I was wondering if you were still reading this NG! :)

I'll catch up with you later this month, I'll be up in Sydney then. I'll
email you with details closer to the date.

mr_guy

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
Final Atomic Buster <captain...@excite.com> wrote:

Sounds good man, I jsut had my birthday so I'm almost old enough
to drive down there and play you. Anyway lemme know when you're
coming and what you wanna play (Galaxy has gone to shit now,
they took out the MC2 machine _BECAUSE_ everything got unlocked
and last time I was in there some guy pulled a knife on me but
thats another story..)
-Mr_guy/XNDL

james.dougherty

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

David Gutierrez wrote in message

>Final Atomic Buster <captain...@excite.com> wrote:
><snipped>

>>Back to my first paragraph, maybe there is a chance I can prove myself....
>>along
>>with anyone else who wants to. Capcom are putting most of the DC fighting
>>titles
>>with Net play aren't they? If and when the server gets running along down
>>here
>>maybe I could go up against some of you! I know I will definitely learn

>from >it.
>>It seems like a good idea, maybe Capcom saw the problem all along and
>>thought of
>>this way to help rectify it
>
>Net play would definitely solve a problem I have. I have no way to prove
>myself either. I live in southern Texas and arcades around here don't
>believe in getting new Street Fighters anymore. I also don't have the means
>to travel to any tournaments or anything like that. I haven't played
>competitively against other players since Alpha 2. I was able to play the
>SF3 games in the arcades, but it was at a small arcade where no one goes.
>The only game left here to play against others is Marvel vs Capcom 2 and
>that really isn't my game. Although, I fared pretty well. So, I for one am
>looking forward to net play.

I can see where you're both coming from, I'm too young to get in to any
arcade in miles and it is VERY rare for me to get to play my friends, the
last time I took my PSX into school I had both A3 and EX2Plus with me. I
knew just about none of my friends who were in had played an SF game so I
let them try the easier EX2Plus. I slaughtered them all and my Maths
teacher giving me the biggest challenge. I know for a fact that I'm not a
great player and that's because I don't get any competition so I would like
to see net play.

Also I agree on the comments on the elite but I come here because I love
these games. There's lots of threads I don't read because they're about
games I haven't had a chance to play and to tell the truth I would prefer
talking about why a game is so good, or discussing what could be changed or
what characters I'd like to see in a future game. Sure, I'd like to learn
stategies but reding about how to do a combo isn't anything like watching a
pro do it to you leaving you wondering about the timing and trying to do it
yourself.

Ian

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but as many have posted before (Mr. Cannon
and Wenchi Liao, off the top of my head) net play SF will be very
difficult. Too much lag and line latency. Look up their articles for a
better treatment. Basically even with Cable Modems (which the DC doesn't
use IIRC) the games are not going to be anything like the arcade.

Joe Ottoson

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
In article <BR_i5.223$x3.3495@uchinews>, spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu
(Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:

> Not to rain on anyone's parade, but as many have posted before (Mr. Cannon
> and Wenchi Liao, off the top of my head) net play SF will be very
> difficult. Too much lag and line latency.

Xband worked pretty well for SSF2. Minus a 1/10th of a second lag which
made rising dragon punches really hard to pull off, people managed to
wring some high level play outta that 2400 modem...

I know I was mauled by a So Cal Zangief player way back when. Textbook
tournament style...

Look up their articles for a
> better treatment. Basically even with Cable Modems (which the DC doesn't
> use IIRC) the games are not going to be anything like the arcade.

Uh huh...

Donger

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
Diplomacy Owns!!!

Donger

V. Equinox

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
In article <BR_i5.223$x3.3495@uchinews>, spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:

>Not to rain on anyone's parade, but as many have posted before (Mr. Cannon
>and Wenchi Liao, off the top of my head) net play SF will be very
>difficult. Too much lag and line latency. Look up their articles for a

>better treatment. Basically even with Cable Modems (which the DC doesn't
>use IIRC) the games are not going to be anything like the arcade.

I don't know, if Sega's current claims about their network (which lauches
September 7) being very low latency are true, then SF play over the net might
end up being pretty good. Once some good games come out that support the
internet play, I'm planning to subscribe to Seganet for a month just to see if
it's as good for online play as Sega says it'll be.

--------------------------
I got tiers in my beer.

tortoise

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
>community because no matter where you go,
>no one seems to like you. You're always just
>another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

From my single experience with the "physical"
SF scene, I have to disagree with that. I was
pleasantly suprised how cool and helpful
most people were at the Midwest tourney.

I see where Viscant is coming from, and I'm
sure I'm part of the problem. But this NG has
helped me in many ways since coming here.
From gaining strategy and learning new skills
to hooking up with all the best players in my
area, this NG has been really helpful.

I think too many people are too concerned
with their "image" here. They want to seem
like a great player so they try to lay the gameplay
talk on thick. Where as going as far as you know
and then stopping would be better, IMHO.

Matt
mgreer[at]artic.edu

"And if your dog or cat ever dies, I'll buy you a ewe."

tortoise

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
vis...@aol.com (Viscant) wrote:

> I own all and will prove it at nationals in Chicago (or
Florida or
>wherever they choose to hold this.

What's this? Another Chicago tourney?
Any more info available on this?

Jinmaster

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00

> I think part of the problem is that this news group is covering such a
> broad spectrum of games now. I mean, it covers games from SFII:WW to
> MVC2 and soon to be Capcom vs. SNK.
>
> It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be an
> elitist group. I mean, if you haven't been around them since the good
> old days of HF, then you're not "old school." On my few trips to LA
and
> your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to welcome
me
> at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius, and
> SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
> anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
> community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
> You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

I think there are a few reasons for why you feel this way. First, there
is the proximity argument, which doesn't need to be explained. Second,
SHGL is a very busy, loud, and crowded place. Sure, you can try to pick
some player's brain, but who likes doing that with strangers or people
they don't know very well in an enviornment that requires you to yell
to communicate during a conversation?

However, I do agree that the whole "save it for nationals, save it for
blah blah blah" is tired and old. I remember when confuc was holding
back the strider overhead in MvC1, I actually had to catch him on AOL
IM and trap him with my "tested theory" at which point he said I had
the right idea, gave me more info, and asked me to keep quiet about it.
I did keep quiet. However.....

As much as we've tried to keep up with MvC2, as many tournaments as
there have been in California and we have attended, WE JUST LEARNED
YESTERDAY HOW TO DO THE SHORTCUT AHVB x5??? That's how FUK-ED the NG
is. I can't imagine how many matches I could have won had I known this
information.

> And there is a lot of false information spread here, but that's
because
> no one will ever correct it. Everyone (top players especially) lives
by
> the slogan, "save it for nationals" which means once a year, people
are
> set straight. That whole institution just doesn't seem right to me.
> The worst thing is that I know the top players do share information
with
> eachother, I guess to keep the element of suprise factor in their
> gaming. If you're not around one of them, then you don't get the
> opportunity to ever find out.
>
> --
> Fluffy
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Usually, you just have to ask and they'll show you what you want to
know, if you're in person. I'm just usually afraid I'll bug someone
with all my questions.

I know that Dan usually won't share much over the internet. I remember
when I used his WM post against his Zangief, he mumbled something
like "yep, put it on the web and everyone does it the next day". Pretty
funny, and I understand completely.

I would like to give Vsicant, Duc, and Image props, as well as Tom C.,
for being quite friendly even though essentially, players like us never
place in a tourney. Although, now that we actually have this AHVB
secret out there, =)

--
Homepage for Marvel Vs. Capcom I and
II:http://www.geocities.com/therealjinmaster/

tortoise

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Jinmaster <jinm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> WE JUST LEARNED
>YESTERDAY HOW TO DO THE SHORTCUT AHVB x5???

I dunno if I like the sound of this,
but I gotta know :) If this was posted
on this NG forgive me, I've not been
keeping track lately.

So what is this shortcut AHVB?

Spider-Dan

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Jinmaster <jinm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I know that Dan usually won't share much over the internet. I
remember
>when I used his WM post against his Zangief, he mumbled
something
>like "yep, put it on the web and everyone does it the next day".
Pretty
>funny, and I understand completely.

Actually, I'd say that my main problem is that I talk too much,
and I don't keep enough things secret. (I like to talk shit)
The only (tactical) secret that I've ever managed to keep for any
length of time was Red Venom. If you want to know about keeping
secrets, talk to so.cali or east coast. (Although they might
keep that a secret.)

That being said, most of the time that I do not respond, it's
because:

1) there is just too much blatantly wrong bullshit to deal with
2) I've already went over this 238742376 times (wasn't there a
MVC2 ranking thread like, less than 24 hours before the last one?
READ THE FUCKING POSTS, PEOPLE)
3) there is a certain phenomenon, where someone will be a
super-scrub, start paying attention to the NG or IRC for like one
week, then try to present themselves as some sort of oracle of
information (most of said info being either misguided or outright
wrong)... for some reason I find this quite annoying and I will
usually let this person burn themselves out, unless I feel like
flaming.

--
Dan Thompson
[send email to] edge [at] chipware [dot] net

poc...@my-deja.com

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
In article <8meron$vro$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Sean Hoyles <sho...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> <snipped pretty much all of Viscant's stuff as I am dealing more with
> Fluffy's comments here>
>
> >I think part of the problem is that this news group is covering such
> >broad spectrum of games now. I mean, it covers games from SFII:WW to
> >MVC2 and soon to be Capcom vs. SNK.
>
> This may be part of the problem. I somehow doubt it, though. Although
> Capcom has many games under its belt now, not all of these are
> discussed to any great length. Usually, the older games pop up in
> threads which a) are not really worth answering ("have you played
> SFII:WW on callus?") or b) have been discussed to death previously
> ("who do you think is the best character in such and such a game?").
> Although this may be the first time that a certain new individual has
> heard such a discussion, it's probably all old news to someone who has
> been on this news group any length of time. I think the fact that many
> games have been discussed exhaustively may have something more to do
> with the quality of the postings than does the number of games
covered.
> If anything, the wider spectrum of games would normally be expected to
> increase the amount of high-quality discussion in the forum.
>
> >It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be
an
> >elitist group.
I have to disagree with you here Sean. Perhaps my definition
of "elitist" is lacking. The tournament community and the sf community
as a whole are 2 very different groups. The "Elite" players are simply
tournament experienced players who know more about the games at a
serious competition level, nothing more. We seem to stand out more
only because we all know of eachother through the tournament circuit.
Really we are all a group of friends, generally. Not exclusionary by
any means. If you place last in every tournament you enter you'd still
be a part of our "group".

I mean, if you haven't been around them since the good
> >old days of HF, then you're not "old school."

That's because sf2 is the OLD SF. Alpha and 3 are still in arcades
that fightng gamers frequent. If you didn't play in tourneys on the
old games then it wouldn't make sense to say you were from the ol'
skool. COTA would be ol skool VS since it is the old game. Make sense?

On my few trips to LA
> >and your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to
> >welcome me at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius,
and
> >SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
> >anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
> >community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.

You have GOT to be kidding me!? Image and SpiderDan, whom I know both
personally are very friendly. It's not like church where you may walk
in the new guy and get greeted by everyone there and chit chat.
Perhaps some aren't as social as you, maybe? Some of us, other than
the games, have next to nothing in common. We got to know eachother
through the games. You should think of your visits more along the
lines of you first few weeks at a new school. Some may be very
friendly and some not so. But when you go to class awhile you get to
know ppl and ppl through them and such...or you actively find ways to
have conversations with ppl leading to friendships. I'm not sure what
you may have expected. Duc and I are friends but when we first met it
looked like we may not like eachother at all. Attitudes even...hella
phunny actually. An hour or so later we were buddy buddy. Heheh
that's another story ya know:) It's a competitive environment. Again,
I don't know what you expected.

> >You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

It may be news to you that we call eachother scrubs jokingly also. And
you're only a "scrub who hasn't proven himself" if you walk in like you
think you're some god at the game. If you come with a friendly "let's
play" attitude you'll get the same generally.

Rather, I know what I'm talking about if I care to speak on a subjct ya
know? I've been around. It seems genereally clear that you make
little judgements on first impressions as seen throughout this post.
I, myself know that I've communicated with you by writing in only one
post. How many times did you meet Image and SpiderDan?

has made attempts in the
> past to communicate to me the error of my own ways (see the long-
winded
> thread I started way back regarding "Why Alpha 3 Bites the Big One"
for
> examples of how he disagreed with me and then articulately tried to
> demonstrate how he thought I was way off base).
>
> The point is that some players choose to post and others don't, all
for
> varying reasons. That's just life, not necessarily elitism. Sometimes,
> we may assume

"Assume" I think that's pretty right on as far as choice of words:)

that because a certain player is high profile and doesn't
> post often to the group, that he or she considers himself elite and
> above everybody else. Probably sometimes that is the case, but we
> shouldn't necessarily assume it is true of everyone.

Why think it true about anyone at all? The tourney community on the
whole is very friendly with the underlying competitive vibe. You can
be great friends with someone but come tourney time there's a lil
tension in the air due to competition:) I think it's something we all
enjoy. If someone doesn't come out and just say: "I am so beyond the
rest of you idiot posters" then why ever assume they think that way?

I haven't posted
> to this group in a long time either (maybe about 3 or 4 months) but
> nobody would consider me as having an elitist attitude. Why is that?
> Simply because, for the average joe, I don't matter to any great
> degree.
>
> As for the lack of communication at tournaments, I can't comment too
> much (never been to one myself, actually). One thing to keep in mind,
> however, is that some people (myself included) find it much harder to
> talk with total strangers when the keyboard isn't present. At the same
> time, many players are probably just preoccupied with the tournament
> situation and find too much banter distracting. There are a million
> reasons why people wouldn't necessarily talk to a given individual in
> the tournament setting. Perception of elitism is only one of them.

So true. I think a good way to get some talking going is to take
notice of skillfull actions and compliment out loud. Other onlookers
will more than likely agree with your comment, even out loud at times
and you set yourself out as an easy going friendly guy who can
appreciate skills:) But if your silent around new ppl, others may be
the same way.

> >And there is a lot of false information spread here, but that's
> >because no one will ever correct it. Everyone (top players
especially)
> >lives by the slogan, "save it for nationals" which means once a year,
> >people are set straight. That whole institution just doesn't seem
> >right to me.

It is completely wrong period. If you're good you're good. The more
you let out in the open the better we make the US as a whole and at a
much faster pace.

The worst thing is that I know the top players do share
> >information with eachother, I guess to keep the element of suprise
> >factor in their gaming. If you're not around one of them, then you
> >don't get the opportunity to ever find out.

Not true. Some do and some don't. Viscant is very verbal about most
anything generally, seeming to never fear what insights into his game
he may give his competition. This, I find, very admirable:)

But, no top players did NOT share much with eachother before B4. So
much at stake I guess? But when some hold back...you feel the need to
follow suit. Regardless, it's a weak practice. If you're in a good
arcade like Southern hills golfland you could look good based on what
you've experienced through the real players when you alone could be
decently skillfull but incredibly uncreative. I say tell everyone
everything. How else can we simulate the arcades in Japan where
everyone plays together in one arcade generally? Our players are so
spread out if we're to have a training ground similar in any way it
will have to be through strategy sharing until things go online.

Shamefully that was my exact thought. I felt that I hadn't the time to
put one huge post together. And if ppl were going to discuss half
written ideas and argue them at length b4 I finished the whole deal I'd
never get done. Looking back I would've been better off using WP to
write bits and pieces daily and then posting only when it was
completed. My work was cut out for me from the beginning and it
compounded with every post as I had to add more explanations to the
total without ever having completely finished the first original
thoughts and such. I indeed said "f*ck it". I felt ppl weren't
interesting in listening for the most part and simply wanted to argue.
You, Sean, however seemed generally interested and I apologize for not
ever finishing. I just didn't have the time for something like that:(

> I guess what I am saying is that the elitism is true up to a point but
> that it also serves as a convenient excuse and the "elite" a
convenient
> scapegoat for why the current news group stinks. I personally think
> that the group stinks for a lot more reasons than this. While it is
> true that most of the "bigwigs" in the SF community no longer post to
> a.g.sf2, one also has to carefully ask why this is so. Discussing SF
> issues should be fun and enjoyable, not annoying and tiresome. If it
is
> more the latter than the former, then perhaps they are right in not
> posting here.

I personally don't post because of lack of time and time with my
computer period. So I don't have the ability to follow any discussions
regularly. I found that when I peeped my head in now and then to speak
I'd just get frustrated at not being able to really discuss anything,
making a side comment here and there was the best I could do:/ IRC was
so much easier. I think most of us are just busy with our lives. And
IRC is open to the public. But when ppl go on irc they don't realize
that it's like hanging out in a room full of ppl. It's not 100% game
talk...and not everyone has time to help the newbie. Many just idle
and comment here and there. Some may have an attitude that day also.
I say if you wanna go on irc go and idle for a few weeks and get a feel
for it b4 you make any assumptions. See how they all interact. Really
it's a great bunch of ppl and that's where strategy is discussed most.
Or just pop in to ask a question. But don't come in with a know it all
attitude with tourney players. heheh, it wouldn't bode well:P Just be
friendly and you get friendly generally.

> And on a final note: if these players really considered themselves
> elite, why would many of them have started the www.shoryuken.com site?
> In many ways, this site was established to get around the various
> problems and woes of the news group (although I still occasionally
> catch whiffs of the new group's stink on the shoryuken message
boards).
> The fact that these players share their secrets and divulge more
> information amongst themselves is at least partly due to the fact that
> some of them spend so much time in close distance to one another -
they
> have the advantage of proximity on their side. While you won't learn
> all their tricks and tactics from shoryuken, at least an effort is
> being made to pass some useful info down the chain from "elite"
> to "novice" (or "scrub", choose your own semantic here).

Yes, Shoryuken is the preferred sf site for serious players I think.
Though it's still somewhat new I have to say it's one of the greatest
things happening right now in the sf community as a whole. Great job
SRK=)

You won't find
> anything similar to that on a.g.sf2, I don't think. I once told
> somebody that searching for informative material on a.g.sf2 was liking
> diving for oysters. You usually have to wade through a hell of a lot
of
> oyster shit to find a single pearl. That was true then and it is still
> pretty much true now. Then again, the news group also opened the door
> to many contacts and peers who have proven quite useful to me on SF
> issues so I guess it hasn't all been bad. Even in a mountain of shit,
> guess you can occasionally come across the scattered rare gem.

> So true.

> Just my two cents on the issue. Shrug.
>
> Sean Hoyles
> Leader of the Newfoundland scrub nation in that paradise to the north,
> Canada ; - )

I knew Canada was scrub central! :P

Sean Hoyles

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
<Snipped a whole swamp load of shit posted by many different parties>

In article <8mopdp$osj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

poc...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8meron$vro$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Sean Hoyles <sho...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> > >It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be
> an
> > >elitist group.

> I have to disagree with you here Sean. Perhaps my definition
> of "elitist" is lacking. The tournament community and the sf
community
> as a whole are 2 very different groups. The "Elite" players are
simply
> tournament experienced players who know more about the games at a
> serious competition level, nothing more. We seem to stand out more
> only because we all know of eachother through the tournament circuit.
> Really we are all a group of friends, generally. Not exclusionary by
> any means. If you place last in every tournament you enter you'd
still
> be a part of our "group".

Just for the record, I feel that I should say that I did not write the
statement about top players being an "elitist" group. That was
actually Fluffy's comment and one which I went on to discuss at length
afterward (I have never even been to a tournament although I often wish
I could). There are also a couple of other places where I think you
may have gotten my comments confused with the other guy's comments.
Looking back on the post, I can see the confusion. I originally just
copied the guy's post, word for word, into a WP editor and then added
my comments from there. I did this simply because Deja has an evil
tendency to die before I send my message - and the way I write, that is
always a bad thing to happen. Unfortunately, by saving the message
into the processor, I ended up losing the sender history somewhere
along the way so that it is really difficult to determine who said what
without reading the previous posts. My bad. : - (

Anyway, Apoc, I am glad you took the time to reply (I figured you
might) even though your writing time tends to be limited. Hope the
chaos has died down a little for you since last we spoke. And, while I
still have gripes with A3 and absolutely hate it on some days, I see a
bit better where you were coming from in your A3 comments from many,
many months ago.

I am at work so I will (uncharacteristically) cut it short here, I
guess. Later on.

> > Sean Hoyles
> > Leader of the Newfoundland scrub nation in that paradise to the
north,
> > Canada ; - )
> >
> I knew Canada was scrub central! :P

Yup. With scrub headquarters situated in my own backyard. : - )

Stilt Man

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
In article <8mdvfd$avh$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be an
>elitist group. I mean, if you haven't been around them since the good
>old days of HF, then you're not "old school." On my few trips to LA and
>your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to welcome me
>at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius, and
>SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
>anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
>community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
>You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

A-freaking-men.

This is probably about where I ought to mention my trip to Sac over this last
weekend. For the record, I was not, in any way, made to feel that I should
never step south of the Oregon border again, and it wasn't because I didn't
run into the best players the Gameroom could offer, either. Thursday night,
their best player won about two of five against me (Cable/Sentinel/BH against
Doom/Sentinel/Cammy) and the rest of their crowd sort of got worse from there,
Friday night I farted around a little more casually and did far worse on a
win-loss basis (although when I subbed Sentinel in for Rogue I still did just
fine until I'd simply been there about twice as long without a break as my
body can usually tolerate), Sunday afternoon no one much but the arcade
workers (who are half competent but were nothing to write home about) were
around so I basically held the machine as long as I wanted. There's a number
of things different between their styles and mine (they had more BH and more
Sentinel, I was more aggressive and was the only one other than Tamara who
showed up with a Cammy-A there, and their attempts at Strider and Spiral were
a bit... feeble, to say the least), and although it _is_ true that there are
more good players who show up regularly than there are at Lloyd, I did not
walk away with any sort of feeling of inadequacy at all. And no, I didn't
save my bacon by catching any tourney tapes -- I had no experience to draw
upon save what I regularly run into at the Lloyd Center (and various nearby
inferior) Tilt(s) in the Portland area. That was quite sufficient to give
a quite unembarassing accounting of myself in Sac, thank you very much.

But none of that matters to the "top players" here. Stilts hasn't been to
a major tourney or Cali, ergo he sucks. So sayeth the self-professed great
ones... and then all the rest of the humanoids just sort of jump on the
bandwagon and assume that I must suck because they say so. Heck, I imagine
that even having been to Cali and having done just fine when I went, I'll
probably still get some die-hard critics. Oh well.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The Stilt Man stil...@teleport.com
http://www.teleport.com/~stiltman/stiltman.html
< We are Microsoft Borg '98. Lower your expectations and >
< surrender your money. Antitrust law is irrelevant. >
< Competition is irrelevant. We will add your financial and >
< technological distinctiveness to our own. Your software >
< will adapt to service ours. Resistance is futile. >

sven

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
hmm. between friday and sunday, isn't there another day, known as

_saturday?_

tell us about that, stilt man. we're waiting.

sven
c'mon.

Rylan Hilman

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 22:15:15 -0700, sven <gjdNO...@usa.net.invalid>
wrote:

>hmm. between friday and sunday, isn't there another day, known as
>
>_saturday?_
>
>tell us about that, stilt man. we're waiting.

Actually, from what I remember hearing, all the buzz in #capcom was
late Friday night, when it was reported he went 3-15 and all present
were rejoicing...not that I care how good he actually is or
anything(all I know is the chars I pick can't beat the chars he
picks), and I haven't heard a thing about Saturday either...

Fluffy

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <8mq3bn$e84$1...@user2.teleport.com>,

<loyd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >It also seems to me that on the whole, the "top" players seem to be
an
> >elitist group. I mean, if you haven't been around them since the
good
> >old days of HF, then you're not "old school." On my few trips to LA
and
> >your few trips to NorCal, the only people that have seemed to
welcome me
> >at all were you and Duc. I mean, I met Image, Confucius, and
> >SpiderDan, but they didn't really talk with me or play DDR with me or
> >anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
> >community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
> >You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

Not going to comment on your performance, as I didn't see it. Let's
just by your definition of doing "just fine," then I'd be a god as
SVGL...

But, this post isn't about that. I'm just trying to say that in order
to truly test yourself, you need to attend some sort of major tourney.
I mean, a lot of people traveled to B4, some more than others, but they
set aside the time to do so. I think all the people on this board are
really asking of you is to one time do the same. Just see if you can
make it to the next major west coast tourney. Even if you're not going
to play, go watch and see what people are talking about. Some things
just have to be seen to be believed. I finally saw a good run-away
Dhalsim today and I must say I was impressed. Before then, I just
thought it was a "neat trick" if you actually get it to work.

Chocobo

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Stilt Man wrote:

> Thursday night, their best player won about two of five against me
> (Cable/Sentinel/BH against
> Doom/Sentinel/Cammy) and the rest of their crowd sort of got worse from there

> Friday night I farted around a little more casually and did far worse on a
> win-loss basis

> Sunday afternoon no one much but the arcade

> workers (who are half competent but were nothing to write home about) were
> around so I basically held the machine as long as I wanted.

> That was quite sufficient to give

> a quite unembarassing accounting of myself in Sac, thank you very much.

How can you possibly claim to not be completely full of shit at this point? You
mention everything that makes you look good, and obviously neglect to mention the
one day when the real players showed up and you couldn't get a win if your life
depended on it.

> But none of that matters to the "top players" here. Stilts hasn't been to a
> major tourney or Cali, ergo he sucks.

You seem to be forgetting about an important point here- You DO suck.

Stilt Man

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <0562ef6f...@usw-ex0107-055.remarq.com>,

sven <gjdNO...@usa.net.invalid> wrote:
>hmm. between friday and sunday, isn't there another day, known as
>_saturday?_

>tell us about that, stilt man. we're waiting.

Okay. Saturday's story is easy: I didn't play that day.

Stilt Man

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <399169EE...@mindspring.com>,
Chocobo <cho...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Stilt Man wrote:
>> That was quite sufficient to give
>> a quite unembarassing accounting of myself in Sac, thank you very much.

>How can you possibly claim to not be completely full of shit at this point? You
>mention everything that makes you look good, and obviously neglect to mention
>the one day when the real players showed up and you couldn't get a win if
>your life depended on it.

Uh... I didn't think it was too obvious, because their best two or three
players showed up on both Thursday and Friday and played against me both
nights. The main difference between Thursday and Friday was that on Friday
my kidneys were killing me throughout and, by the time those best players
showed up that time, I had been playing for three and a half hours without
a break and was quite literally playing in a daze. I take no shame in
admitting that I got stomped in that half-unconscious state late Friday night,
nor do I believe it proved anything in particular other than that I don't
play very well when I'm half doubled over in pain. The same people who
hammered me while I was in that unhealthy state were losing more often than
not to me twenty-four hours earlier.

Zeku

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
I love it when people are confident enough to share info. I
aggresively teach shrubs to play better to avoid being bored at
work. But, noone is morally obligated to share anything. That's
fucking communism.

I've seen so many selfish proud dumbasses (including myself on
occasion) who think they are important just because they have
better info or more practice than other people.

I think the player has to stop caring about the act of winning to
be able to truly become 'skilled.'

Joe Ottoson

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <3991b...@feed1.realtime.net>, Zeku
<x@x.x__gungnirATbga!com> wrote:

> I love it when people are confident enough to share info. I
> aggresively teach shrubs to play better to avoid being bored at
> work. But, noone is morally obligated to share anything. That's
> fucking communism.

The people's orgy? Really?

Cammy White

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Amazing how you keep saying how much pain you happen to be in,
but did nothing to alleviate it... there is a coffee shop right
next to the Gameroom if you need a snack, and bathrooms abound.
You can't really use your physical weakness as an excuse when the
bathroom is just around the corner, and food is next door... If
anything, this lowers you in my eyes from 'big-talking scrub' to
just plain 'idiot'. Having to go pee and then holding it for 4
hours just because you're "stubborn" indeed. "Oh, my kidneys!"

--Cam

Vidness

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00

"Cammy White" <cammyN...@n3m0.org.invalid> wrote in message

> hours just because you're "stubborn" indeed. "Oh, my kidneys!"

"OH!! I CAN'T MOVE!!"

We loved that quote back in the day....bonus points if you can name what
game it's from...(too easy)

-Vidness

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <r_jk5.16784$IX6....@typhoon.columbus.rr.com>,

Super Just Games' Alien vs Predator with it's patented nonfunctional 1P
joystick and no 2p attack/jump/right movement.

>-Vidness

Chocobo

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Zeku wrote:

> I love it when people are confident enough to share info. I
> aggresively teach shrubs to play better to avoid being bored at
> work. But, noone is morally obligated to share anything. That's
> fucking communism.
>

> I've seen so many selfish proud dumbasses (including myself on
> occasion) who think they are important just because they have
> better info or more practice than other people.
>
> I think the player has to stop caring about the act of winning to
> be able to truly become 'skilled.'

Skill is the ability to win. This makes no sense.

Fluffy

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
"Vidness" <vid...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> "Cammy White" <cammyN...@n3m0.org.invalid> wrote in message
> > hours just because you're "stubborn" indeed. "Oh, my kidneys!"
>
> "OH!! I CAN'T MOVE!!"
>
> We loved that quote back in the day....bonus points if you can name
what
> game it's from...(too easy)
>
> -Vidness

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

You forgot the "America still needs your help!" quote. Old school...

seth james killian

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:

>>anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
>>community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
>>You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

>A-freaking-men.

What exactly are you after here? You want to be best friends with
the top SF players, even if you don't go to tournaments, suck at SF, and
have nothing (or nothing interesting) to say? W. T. F.
I'm glad you two have each other. You can commisserate about how
you're unfairly shunned by snotty SF "elites". "It's kinda hard to get into
the SF community?" What exactly would count as "getting in"? It's not like
there are forms you have to fill out or something. What community there is
exists because these people have become friends by hanging out at
tournaments/gatherings over the years, and irc. That's it. Given the
selection of *complete* freaks that make up the "community", I'm not
going to guess- I'm *telling* you- your "exclusion" is nothing but your
own fault. The group of travelling players contains members of like
literally every race/ethnicity/class, etc. If no one wants to be your
friend, it's because you smell or something. Have you noticed that you
two have the same problems in the non-SF community? Take the hint.

>I did not
>walk away with any sort of feeling of inadequacy at all.

>That was quite sufficient to give
>a quite unembarassing accounting of myself in Sac, thank you very much.

Um, okay... without knowing a thing about what happened to you
in Sac (which unfortunately for you, I do), you're still about 100 miles
away from being any kind of judge of what counts as "an embarrassing
accounting of yourself". You have *routinely* shamed yourself on this
group- perhaps more consistently and thoroughly than anyone in it's
long history of distinguished morons. That you're still here at all
after the deeply shameful ass-reaming you took during the Storm thread
(which I cite only because of it's complete, unequivocal embarrassment
of you) shows only that, really, you have no shame. Your typically
half-assed, euphemism-heavy account of your Sacramento trip is only
the latest chapter.

At any rate, since people seem so up in arms over the secret
SF elite conspiracy to keep everyone else out of the inner sanctum, I'll
make a withdrawal from the SFelite library and share with you some time-
honored words of wisdom from "The Teaching of Sam Kim, EC Scrub Slayer":

The Sam Kim Scrub Rule: When playing foreign scrubs, when you
can immediately tell you're far better than they are, the temptation is
to play random, or mess-around characters. You must not give in to this
temptation. You must pick your best characters, and beat them into the
ground. If you do not, regardless of the final outcome, the scrub will
invariably use the meeting as proof that he's in the same league with
you, claiming that things "went back and forth", or that he "won his
fair share", etc. The most surprising part is that the scrub may
actually even believe himself to be in the same league, due mostly
to the fact that they are such a scrub, they don't recognize the key
features of high-level play even when they see them." Sam Kim, 1993

I know you'll probably think I'm making this up just to bag oon
you, but unfortunately, I'm not. You see Stilt, hundreds of scrubs have
tried the same thing (ask me about the David Boudreau experience). Like
most idiots, you probably thought you were the first to try something
like this. You got a few wins one night, then got completely dominated
the next. But that doesn't count. Why? Because you had to drive
someplace earlier that day, and then had been standing in an arcade
for *hours*. So long, in fact, that you actually became hungry, *and
had to go to the bathroom*! Sounds like a real gauntlet you had to
endure there, Stilt. We all really felt for you during your description
of your nobly standing tall, even though you were ready to "double over
in pain", and "could barely see straight". "Must... play... MVC2..."
It's almost like you can't help seeing yourself as the underdog hero
of the day, no matter how humiliatingly banal your actual situation.
You get a ticket every time you get pulled over, don't you. Hungry?
Get a fucking taco. And the bathroom? I know it can be an ordeal
trying to find your dick, but just take your moms advice, and continue
to pee sitting down. You'll do fine.
That you would *even* try to float something like this really
just boggles the mind. I seriously come close to pitying someone so
pathetic. You actually cite your inability to perform the most basic
functions necessary to staying alive as the reason behind your inability
to perform at a videogame? wtf. Even more stupid is that you'd try and
give these reasons to *tournament players*. These are people who
*routinely* fly cross country, stand in arcades for 12+ hours a day,
eat complete crap or nothing, get essentially zero sleep, and still
defeat the top players in the country, by sheer force of will. But
your excuse (and it *is* an excuse- please don't let yourself be
confused) is that you had to take a piss, and couldn't be bothered
to go next door to take 10 minutes and eat. Next.
The real story is quite simple. The first night you were
there, whoever you were playing against simply didn't know who you
were, and didn't take you seriously enough to play non-mess-around
teams. Once they'd been informed by everyone else that you were
going to be reporting the whole thing, they came back and destroyed
you. Did you note the slight differences in the teams they played
from night to night, and the ways they played those teams? Right.
Your version of events contains a number of facts, although
they're thoroughly "Stiltified", and loaded with more of your patented
and maddeningly vague little catch-phrases, all designed to obscure
your poor performance. Even before you posted, someone predicted as
much, and busted you *in advance*. You couldn't stop yourself
though- the truth itself would of course be a bit uncomfortable.
You also throw in actual *names* of people you owned, to make
everything look legit. Unfortunately, the name you mention as
is a girl. And not only a girl (as there are a few women known
to be good at MVC2), but a girl no one's heard of. Wow. Then
you passingly mention that in fact, you ended by getting owned
severely. The numbers I've heard reported were around 80+%
losses for you. But we know... that didn't count! It was
Thursday night that counted. Because of your, um, kidneys!
Yeah. That's it.
This excuse, once you stop and think about it for a
few seconds, is so unbelievably bad that I can't think of anyone
who's ever offered anything like this before.

>But none of that matters to the "top players" here. Stilts hasn't been to
>a major tourney or Cali, ergo he sucks.

Actually, no. We *know* you suck, via your long history of
bullshit on here, and now direct testimony, both from Sacramento players
and Portland locals. A tournament would just be such a complete proof
that even *you* would understand it. The above inference is just total
nonsense designed to try and make you look oppressed. There are plenty
of shitty players that have been to a major tourney, and/or Cali. Like...
you.

So sayeth the self-professed great
>ones... and then all the rest of the humanoids just sort of jump on the
>bandwagon and assume that I must suck because they say so.

Um, "self-professed"? How fucking stupid are you? The "great
ones" are designated as great *by going to tournaments, and winning*.
They're not "self-professing" anything. That's *you*, dimwit. How
other than tournaments could "greatness" be decided at all? Jesus
christ. The only bandwagon getting hopped on by anyone who agrees
that they're great are those who believe the tournament results
as given, and the testimony of their own eyes. Like this is some
kind of attempt at "brainwashing" or something. It's a goddamn
tournament- you come, you win, you're good. What part of that
equation seems like bullshit to you?

Heck, I imagine
>that even having been to Cali and having done just fine when I went, I'll
>probably still get some die-hard critics. Oh well.

Yeah, hard to imagine, isn't it? Whatever counts as doing "just
fine" (vague, as if anyone expected differently) in your sad little world
of delusion seems to be compatible with getting completely beat down. If
you want to humiliate yourself by filling in any (non-Tamara related)
details about the experience, or trying to evoke sympathy because you
didn't go to the bathroom, I'm happy to watch you flop around some more,
you sad, sad little man.

Seth Killian

Fluffy

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <_pAk5.502$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
skil...@students.uiuc.edu (seth james killian) wrote:

> stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:
>

> What exactly are you after here? You want to be best friends
with
> the top SF players, even if you don't go to tournaments, suck at SF,
and
> have nothing (or nothing interesting) to say? W. T. F.
> I'm glad you two have each other. You can commisserate about
how
> you're unfairly shunned by snotty SF "elites". "It's kinda hard to
get into
> the SF community?" What exactly would count as "getting in"? It's
not like
> there are forms you have to fill out or something. What community
there is
> exists because these people have become friends by hanging out at
> tournaments/gatherings over the years, and irc. That's it. Given the
> selection of *complete* freaks that make up the "community", I'm not
> going to guess- I'm *telling* you- your "exclusion" is nothing but
your
> own fault. The group of travelling players contains members of like
> literally every race/ethnicity/class, etc. If no one wants to be your
> friend, it's because you smell or something. Have you noticed that
you
> two have the same problems in the non-SF community? Take the hint.

You know seth, I have just one thing to say. Shut up. Just shut up.
You do not know me. As far as I know, I've never met you. Unlike
Stilt, I have gone to multiple tournaments and might even be considered
part of the "group of travelling players" you mentioned above. It's
attitudes like you that make guys like me think bad about the SF
community. And that crack about my hygene, puh-lease. You do not know
me troll. Do us all a favor. Shut up and go play MK or something.

Vidness

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
That's it! :)

"Fluffy" <loyd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

And my favorite "You will be the one escaping!!!"....What the HECK did that
mean???

-Vid

Stilt Man

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

seth james killian <skil...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:
>>>anything like that. I guess it's just kinda hard to get into the SF
>>>community because no matter where you go, no one seems to like you.
>>>You're always just another scrub who hasn't proven himself.

>>A-freaking-men.

> What exactly are you after here? You want to be best friends with
>the top SF players, even if you don't go to tournaments, suck at SF, and
>have nothing (or nothing interesting) to say? W. T. F.

Uh... no. I have no real interest at all in being friends with you. For now,
I don't mind amusing myself with the thought that I seem to bug you every time
I post. :)

>>I did not
>>walk away with any sort of feeling of inadequacy at all.
>>That was quite sufficient to give
>>a quite unembarassing accounting of myself in Sac, thank you very much.

> Um, okay... without knowing a thing about what happened to you
>in Sac (which unfortunately for you, I do),

I sure as hell can't tell that from the comments you've posted on it so far.
The only games I won were from random Cable supers? I lost 80% of the games?
WTF are you SMOKING, Seth? Are you so desperate to verify your own
superiority that you'll cling to every spurious rumor you can grab about
what I did and didn't do down there?

I did not lose 80% of the games down there, nor anywhere close to it, even
at my worst on Friday.

I don't frequently play Cable, and NEVER did so in Sac.

Is that non-vague enough for you?

> The real story is quite simple. The first night you were
>there, whoever you were playing against simply didn't know who you
>were, and didn't take you seriously enough to play non-mess-around
>teams. Once they'd been informed by everyone else that you were
>going to be reporting the whole thing, they came back and destroyed
>you. Did you note the slight differences in the teams they played
>from night to night, and the ways they played those teams? Right.

No, actually. The tactics that were beating me on Friday were identical
to what I was beating on Thursday. Sentinel/Cable/BH team, use BH-B and
Sentinel's ground game to pin me down and build meter, then bring in Cable
to clean house once he's loaded. Every now and then they'd take Sentinel
to the air and fly just for giggles. They did nothing different or better
on Friday, I simply didn't have the patience on Friday (due to a lot of
out-of-game factors) to cut through it. That doesn't make it any less
my own stupid fault, no, but the stupidity in question was out-of-game.

On Thursday, I was doing a lot of things I wasn't doing on Friday. I was
jamming up the Sentinel/BH traps a lot more, both Doom-on-Sentinel and
Sentinel-on-Sentinel. With Doom, I'd either be throwing jumping fierces
to jam up the BH assists or I'd do so with my own Sentinel's drones, which
left me able to either close the distance so that Cammy's cannon spike
could screw things up or just plain move enough to drop photon charges
on them. With Sentinel, I was just sticking out the laser breath to stop
BH, and putting a lot more pressure on them so that I could be the one
throwing the drones (and Doom's rocks) rather than just quietly taking
it. And against Cable (usually with Doom) I was just plain a lot less
mistake-prone. Plus their Sentinels took a lot more cannon spikes to
knock them out of the air.

On Friday, I wasn't doing these things. When Sentinel was throwing the
lockdown at me I was basically just sort of sitting there and taking it,
and wasn't putting up any real counterattack, regardless of who I had up
front. When Cable was loaded up, I was making a lot more mistakes that
got me AHVB'ed more frequently. When I wasn't putting as much pressure on
them on the ground, they felt more comfortable flying Sentinel around and
didn't care much if they got cannon spiked or, worse, I was left in a
position where I'd flat out lost Cammy so they had more freedom to fly
without worrying about her.

These are things I can do well when I'm feeling well. These are patience
things, clear-thinking things, and these are things that don't happen when
I'm tired, hungry, and sick. That doesn't make it any less my fault that
I did worse on Friday -- nor do I consider that an excuse for having done
that poorly that day. I've made no real bones about it, as time went on
Friday night I did worse and worse. It was stupid, it makes my having
done more poorly that night no less my fault... the only saving grace that
I can cite is that my problems weren't with not knowing how to play the game,
they were with not taking care of myself.

BUT...

I did not lose 80% of the games. I did not "only win by random Cable
supers" (pause for laughter). I did not lose any games because I was
voluntarily playing Rogue against top tier teams. And they did not play
any different or better teams or tactics on Friday than they did on
Thursday -- I simply wasn't dealing with it effectively. The players
down there weren't any better than what I run into in Portland, and in
some elements (Spiral and Strider) they were noticeably _worse_. Brian
actually gives me some trouble with Spiral/Strider here in Portland... those
guys, I just walked all over when they tried it. That's one thing I can
say very simply: my Doom/Sentinel teams did not lose a single game to
any team that had Strider or Spiral on it in Sac.

The _only_ combination that I had any real difficulty overcoming at any
time in the weekend was Doom/BH and Sentinel/BH late Friday. They
weren't doing anything with it that night that I didn't beat Thursday
and don't beat halfway regularly at home, I just wasn't playing at my
best that particular night. Someone who only saw me late Friday might
think I suck (and hell, that night, I _did_ suck). Someone who only
saw me Thursday might have come away thinking I was pretty good. (And
when I'm playing at my best, I am.) My chars didn't change. Their
chars didn't change. They didn't add anything, I subtracted. I had
a good night one night, followed by a horrible one the next. It happens.

> Your version of events contains a number of facts, although
>they're thoroughly "Stiltified", and loaded with more of your patented
>and maddeningly vague little catch-phrases, all designed to obscure
>your poor performance. Even before you posted, someone predicted as
>much, and busted you *in advance*. You couldn't stop yourself
>though- the truth itself would of course be a bit uncomfortable.

I have no shame about how I did, overall. I personally don't expect to
satisfy you, Seth. If I'd stomped them as flat on Friday as I did on
Thursday, you'd be grousing that I went to "just" Sacramento instead
of the Golflands in either LA or the bay area.

Although some people who only saw me late Friday might have gotten a
different impression, I did just fine in Sac on the whole. Deal with it.

>You also throw in actual *names* of people you owned, to make
>everything look legit. Unfortunately, the name you mention as
>is a girl.

The only names I knew were Tamara (from the B4 site) and Doug (from overhearing
it there). Doug, I beat three times in four on Thursday, and lost a couple of
games on Friday to before their best player took the game over for him. I
don't know what their best player's name was; he was an Asian guy who
identified himself as the best player there as I was talking to him in the
parking lot Thursday night. (He also expressed, after having played me that
night and having lost as many games or more than he won with serious chars,
an unambiguous opinion that I did _not_ suck. He did not modify this opinion
when I informed him that I was from Portland.)

>>But none of that matters to the "top players" here. Stilts hasn't been to
>>a major tourney or Cali, ergo he sucks.

> Actually, no. We *know* you suck, via your long history of
>bullshit on here, and now direct testimony, both from Sacramento players
>and Portland locals. A tournament would just be such a complete proof
>that even *you* would understand it.

Did anyone dispute my account of the Portland tournament? Or my statement
that nobody who placed in the top three (including me) lost any games to
anyone in the tournament except each other? Even when playing mess around
teams? How about this one: except for Jackson, every Portlander who posts
here was eliminated from that tournament... by me... with a Rogue team...
in a sweep.

Chew on that the next time you use alleged testimony from Portlanders to
claim that I suck.

seth james killian

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> writes:

>You know seth, I have just one thing to say. Shut up. Just shut up.
>You do not know me.

Supergenius: that you don't know me is exactly what you were
complaining about in the initial post. And you're going to tell *me*
to shut up after you post out of the blue about how sad you are that
no one wants to hold your hand at the tournaments? wtf.
SF "elites" look like exclusionary snobs (even though you admit you
don't actually *know* them, which is the whole point), which is a
complete joke. The "group" of general friends is 1) big 2) incredibly
diverse, both regionally, ethnically, in terms of dork-quotient, etc.
You're just sore that it doesn't include you, and hope that you can
convince others (and yourself) that the reason is that there's something
wrong with *them*, rather than you. Which is bullshit.
Thank you. Come again.

Seth Killian

Viscant

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
>> Um, okay... without knowing a thing about what happened to you
>>in Sac (which unfortunately for you, I do),
>
>I sure as hell can't tell that from the comments you've posted on it so far.
>The only games I won were from random Cable supers? I lost 80% of the games?
>WTF are you SMOKING, Seth? Are you so desperate to verify your own
>superiority that you'll cling to every spurious rumor you can grab about
>what I did and didn't do down there?
>
>I did not lose 80% of the games down there, nor anywhere close to it, even
>at my worst on Friday.

Word has it from sources much more reliable than you that you got lit up by
DocBom (Jason Marynik). Seeing as how I heard the figure count 13-3 and 15-3
by two separate No.Cal sources in IRC, I'm going to have to assume that that's
what happened.

Essentially, by playing X/Doom/Cammy you're playing a perfectly anti-Sentinel
team (and X being Sentinel just makes it a more complete mismatch) and you're
still managing to lose this fight. That's bad.
You mention that when you were playing v. Cable that you got lit up because
"you made more mistakes". WTF That's not a result of being sick or something,
that's MvC2.
This does remind me of the Sam Kim thing that Seth mentioned. Sometimes scrubs
don't know what's going on and by taking it easy on them in the beginning, they
think that they just screwed up or did something differently, not understanding
what was really happening. I have no choice other than to believe that this is
the case. You weren't making mistakes, you were being set up. You weren't
choosing not to move v. Sentinel traps (unless you are more of an idiot than
you've proven yourself to be). You were locked down more effectively due to a
tactic shift. I know Sentinel traps. A few frames in between when you launch
mini sentinels makes all the difference between easily escapable and something
that most people look at and think "it'll be worth it to just block the next 4
things, only a few ticks of energy instead of taking the risk of getting hit".
MvC2 for all it's broken-ness, is prone to more subtlety than most recent
games. This is completely an accident because everyone plays the same top tier
characters; every team has Doom or Cable and they are not equal, but the
differences are slight enough not to be easily noticeable. It takes a lot of
experience to differentiate between cousin versions of the same trap or even
between OK Cable and outstanding Cable (something you clearly have no grasp
over; see Jackson thread). I'm assuming this is the case because like I said,
the fact that you got spanked Friday night is fact that you admit. You just
dispute the numbers.

>Although some people who only saw me late Friday might have gotten a
>different impression, I did just fine in Sac on the whole. Deal with it.

Wait. So when people were fucking around or not playing at their best (they
may have had to go pee too!) you did OK, and maybe, kinda, sorta won a few
games too. But on the day that people came to play, you got your ass handed to
you. That's like if I went to go play Duc today and he beat me 10-0 with his
team, then I had lunch, and went 3-7 with him when he was playing Storm based
teams or something. If I was Stilt Man I could say "well, I was obviously just
hungry. But things went back and forth when I was feeling better, and one of
those games I won by a lot. On the whole I did fine so deal with it." That's
bullshit, I know it, I think you know it too. I'm hoping at least. Nobody can
be so pathetic not to, although you keep struggling to prove me wrong.

>The only names I knew were Tamara (from the B4 site) and Doug (from
>overhearing
>it there). Doug, I beat three times in four on Thursday, and lost a couple
>of
>games on Friday to before their best player took the game over for him. I
>don't know what their best player's name was; he was an Asian guy who
>identified himself as the best player there as I was talking to him in the
>parking lot Thursday night. (He also expressed, after having played me that
>night and having lost as many games or more than he won with serious chars,
>an unambiguous opinion that I did _not_ suck. He did not modify this opinion
>when I informed him that I was from Portland.)

Tamara--and all of the camera crew--were at SHGL all weekend. Friday night I
remember there were quite a few incidents embarrassing to me caught on camera.
As for the others, I don't know who this "doug" person is, or who you're
claiming their best player is. DocBom is a tall white guy, and that's who
bombed on you according to the reports we received.

--Viscant, The Icy Rose

Fluffy

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <BhDk5.522$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

skil...@students.uiuc.edu (seth james killian) wrote:
> Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >You know seth, I have just one thing to say. Shut up. Just shut up.
> >You do not know me.
>
> Supergenius: that you don't know me is exactly what you were
> complaining about in the initial post. And you're going to tell *me*
> to shut up after you post out of the blue about how sad you are that
> no one wants to hold your hand at the tournaments? wtf.

Well Seth, since we are on the subject of Supergeniuses, let's analyze
what's going on a bit here now.

1.) Viscant post that many top players don't post here anymore
2.) I respond with my idea on why this is.
3.) You flame me, thinking i"m like Stiltman, in a vain effort to
bolster your own waining self-esteem. But, in all reality, you just
come off looking like the jackass you are.

> SF "elites" look like exclusionary snobs (even though you admit you
> don't actually *know* them, which is the whole point), which is a
> complete joke. The "group" of general friends is 1) big 2) incredibly
> diverse, both regionally, ethnically, in terms of dork-quotient, etc.
> You're just sore that it doesn't include you, and hope that you can
> convince others (and yourself) that the reason is that there's
something
> wrong with *them*, rather than you. Which is bullshit.
> Thank you. Come again.

Now, if we put all of this together, it looks like you're telling me top
players don't post on this newsgroup anymore because I have some kind of
social issues that prevent them from liking me. Not only have you made
a very poor attempt to flame me, but you're also taken the entire
subject matter out of context to do so.

The true comedy of this situation is that you defend these top players
like you're one of them. The fact of the matter is when I said "top
players" I mean people who win tournaments. Not you Seth. I wasn't
talking about useless idiots that do nothing for the NG but try to make
themselves look better at the cost of others. You're really nothing
more than a school-yard bully. .

Seth, I'm sorry for whatever has happened to you in the past to make
feel so horrible about yourself that you have to bash others. I think
you need a hug...

seth james killian

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:

[massive amounts of bullshit deleted]

Here's the deal: I posted about you re: Cable after I heard that
you were doing all your damage with random supers. I accidentally gave you
the credit of assuming you were playing Cable to do this, as jumping around
with random supers as Cable is a semi-viable (if still scrubby) strategy,
and I had heard you attempt to discuss him in the past. However, you've
proudly pointed out that you *never* played Cable, so I see you're worse
than I suspected (Cable is quickly passing Doom as #1 character in the
game again).
The 80% loss figure is how much you lost when you exclude the
wins v scrubs, girls, the elderly, and the palsy you taunted into
challenging you. DocBom reported slapping you around 15 (13?) to 3.
That doesn't mean you lost 15 of an 18 game stretch, which you denied.
It just means you got owned whenever someone competent was on the mic.

>I have no shame about how I did, overall. I personally don't expect to
>satisfy you, Seth. If I'd stomped them as flat on Friday as I did on
>Thursday, you'd be grousing that I went to "just" Sacramento instead
>of the Golflands in either LA or the bay area.

Again- you have no shame over much of anything, apparently, so
that counts for zero. But this has nothing to do with "satisfying me"-
it's about giving yourself some decent fucking comp to get 1) better
and 2) a non-deluded view of your own feeble abilities. After, what-
8+ *years* of pretending to be serious about SF, you've now visited
exactly *1* non-local arcade at which non-retards play. And now you
want that to "satisfy" me (or anyone) as to the fact that you're
serious and have proven yourself? Stigga please. You are an
extremely small shake. Everyone who's been to a tournament, and
even most who've seen/studied a few tournament videos have more
experience than you do. It's just another testament to your bottomless
scrubbery that you'd try and present this as some kind of definitive
credential, just like you tried to use "I was kinda hungry" as an excuse
for getting owned. Let's examine your SF resume, shall we?
SF experience: none.
MVC2: owned by Jackson, the man who may have tied for 13th or
something at B4! also, I once played in the state of California,
and felt unembarrassed after leaving.

>The only names I knew were Tamara (from the B4 site) and Doug (from overhearing

>it there). Doug, I beat...

Well, I've never heard of the mighty "Doug", and I *strongly*
suspect that you're mis-identifying whoever you think was "Tamara from the
B4 site", as she doesn't really play games at all, and probably would have
had a conspicuous camera+crew.

>Did anyone dispute my account of the Portland tournament? Or my statement
>that nobody who placed in the top three (including me) lost any games to
>anyone in the tournament except each other? Even when playing mess around
>teams? How about this one: except for Jackson, every Portlander who posts
>here was eliminated from that tournament... by me... with a Rogue team...
>in a sweep.

Ah- I actually forgot the Tournament of Titans that attracted the
finest 11 players from the entire Portland mall...
Does anyone dispute that Portland (excepting perhaps Jackson) *sucks*
at MVC2? Does anyone dispute that you didn't even beat Karl (or whoever it
was) who was was somewhere south of mediocre?

>Chew on that the next time you use alleged testimony from Portlanders to
>claim that I suck.

Are you fucking insane? Jackson came out and posted explicitly
that he doesn't even take you seriously when you play. This was like a
month ago, and you're already back with the make-believe? You seriously
have some kind of disability dude. I pity you.

Seth Killian

seth james killian

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> writes:

>Well Seth, since we are on the subject of Supergeniuses, let's analyze
>what's going on a bit here now.

>1.) Viscant post that many top players don't post here anymore

>2.) I respond with my idea on why this is.

It was a nice try, moving quickly on to "point 3)", but lets
linger for a moment, shall we? Your idea about why they don't post was
obviously fucking dumb (as I demonstrated, and you ignored), as well as
an interesting combination of mean-spirited and whiny.

>3.) You flame me, thinking i"m like Stiltman, in a vain effort to
>bolster your own waining self-esteem. But, in all reality, you just
>come off looking like the jackass you are.

How does any of what I've said "bolster my self-esteem"? Look-
it's true that I'm cool, but it's not *because* you're a whiny,
friendless bitch. I understand that. If you can master that
you can stop blaming others for your own inadequacy, and be that
much closer to getting that friend you need.

>Now, if we put all of this together, it looks like you're telling me top
>players don't post on this newsgroup anymore because I have some kind of
>social issues that prevent them from liking me. Not only have you made
>a very poor attempt to flame me, but you're also taken the entire
>subject matter out of context to do so.

Out of context? You said that the top SF players were an elitist
bunch. You cited as evidence the fact that "only" Duc and someone were
friendly to you, whereas SpiderDan, Image, and whoever didn't immediately
invite you to the prom. Pot. Kettle. Black. Your quoted comments to
which I was responding had *no* direct bearing on why people don't post
here anymore. And I'm sorry you feel let down by my attempt to "flame"
you- really, your only crime (aside from feeling left out) was being
quoted by Stilt, who sorely deserves to be left out of anything SF
related, if anyone ever has. Since you've simply ignored the bit
where I actually respond directly to what you were saying, I guess
I'm not surprised you feel empty inside.

>The true comedy of this situation is that you defend these top players
>like you're one of them. The fact of the matter is when I said "top
>players" I mean people who win tournaments. Not you Seth.

Shiny new asshole- sorry, but I've placed top 3 in more national
tournaments than you've even been to. Now sit down.

I wasn't
>talking about useless idiots that do nothing for the NG but try to make
>themselves look better at the cost of others. You're really nothing
>more than a school-yard bully.

"Why how dare you sir! You're nothing more than a schoolyard
ruffian!" Again, you need to take your seat. I've been on this NG
since the dead beginning, and carried it through mightier idiots than
even the hypothetical superidiot that would be formed by you riding on
Stiltman's shoulders. But please, for your own part, your bitter,
pathetic assesments of the elite are really helpful. Where would
the NG be without *you*?

>Seth, I'm sorry for whatever has happened to you in the past to make
>feel so horrible about yourself that you have to bash others. I think
>you need a hug...

Well, it's true that I can always use more hugs. That's always
good advice (unless you're Raj, and have Raj's mom from "What's Happening").
In the spirit of good sportsmanship, here some advice from me to you: look
into some odor-absorbing tampons. Jamming a few up your ass might help you
with that "not so fresh" feeling, as well as overcoming a few of those
obstacles between you and getting friends, giving you an excuse for
walking like that at the same time.

hugs,
Seth Killian

Stilt Man

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <20000810154219...@ng-md1.aol.com>,

Viscant <vis...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Um, okay... without knowing a thing about what happened to you
>>>in Sac (which unfortunately for you, I do),

>>I sure as hell can't tell that from the comments you've posted on it so far.
>>The only games I won were from random Cable supers? I lost 80% of the games?
>>WTF are you SMOKING, Seth? Are you so desperate to verify your own
>>superiority that you'll cling to every spurious rumor you can grab about
>>what I did and didn't do down there?

>>I did not lose 80% of the games down there, nor anywhere close to it, even
>>at my worst on Friday.

>Word has it from sources much more reliable than you that you got lit up by
>DocBom (Jason Marynik). Seeing as how I heard the figure count 13-3 and 15-3
>by two separate No.Cal sources in IRC, I'm going to have to assume that that's
>what happened.

I don't remember anybody that I played against, even Friday night, where I
recall playing that many games against them with serious chars while winning
that few. The only two I had real troubles with were late Friday against a
Doom/glitchJug/BH team and a Cable/Sentinel/BH team, when I was playing
serious chars. In these cases, I lost a few games and then bailed, knowing
I was in no shape to be playing.

The only guy I can think of who matches the description of a "tall white guy"
who I played that many times would've been earlier in the evening, when I was
messing around with for quite some time with Rogue before I brought out
Doom/Sentinel/Cammy and ran him off the machine. The guy in question did
indeed beat me in a fair amount of matches where I played Rogue, he knew I
was "that guy from Oregon", and he did seem to be taking the games a lot more
seriously than I was. (He challenged me to a random-pick game bet with money
on the line, which I turned down.) The guy in question was playing things like
Storm, Magneto, Cable, Cyclops, the like. I can't say as I gave him a whole
lot to brag about... yeah, he beat my mess-around Rogue/Doom/Cammy squad a
fair number of times, but when I finally took the gloves off and brought in
Sentinel in Rogue's place he quit quick after two or three _really_ one-sided
games in my favor.

If that's DocBom, he needs to clue up that I don't play Rogue in serious games
any more. A couple of months ago, maybe I would've considered that serious.
Now... I call Rogue/Doom/AAA my "A team" still, yes, but only out of affection
because I _do_ genuinely love to play Rogue. For real games, I currently call
Doom/Sentinel/AAA my "A+ team". If you beat my Rogue, that's not bad (my
Rogue isn't anything to sneeze at), but it's not a terribly good sign that
you'll beat me in a serious matchup.

>Essentially, by playing X/Doom/Cammy you're playing a perfectly anti-Sentinel
>team (and X being Sentinel just makes it a more complete mismatch) and you're
>still managing to lose this fight. That's bad.

I know. My general ability late Friday was way substandard (for me or anyone
else). I know I should've been doing better in that fight, and losing that
one a few times was my general cue that it was time to bail.

>You mention that when you were playing v. Cable that you got lit up because
>"you made more mistakes". WTF That's not a result of being sick or something,
>that's MvC2.

Yes, and I got hit by a few of these on Thursday, too. I was a lot less prone
to it then, though.

>Tamara--and all of the camera crew--were at SHGL all weekend. Friday night I
>remember there were quite a few incidents embarrassing to me caught on camera.

Oops... *quick check of the pics he had in mind on the B4 site ensues* I got
Tamara mixed up with Jeanette, then -- the one in the orange tank top with the
backpack, short-haired brunette. It's insane, she wore _exactly_ that same
outfit Friday. In whatever case, she's the one I played Rogue/Doom/Cammy
against her Psylocke/Cammy/Iceman. I won that one, but I won't claim it was
terribly easy. She plays a pixies-and-beams tactic that I see up in Portland,
which is one matchup where I'd _definitely_ rather have Cammy than BH in the
AAA assignment.

Maybe you can put a name to another face I recognize from that site now --
in the pic where Jeanette is playing the black dude with the afro (count four
down from the top on the far left side of the mural page), I believe
that the guy who identified himself to me as Sac's best player is seated in
the front row to the left (in the pic) of the male player, holding his left
knee with the left leg crossed over the right. I played this individual
Thursday and Friday night, but I have no idea what his name is, only that
he told me Thursday in the parking lot that he was the best player there.

Spider-Dan

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <8muuos$q0c$1...@user2.teleport.com>,
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) wrote:

> > The real story is quite simple. The first night you were
> >there, whoever you were playing against simply didn't know who you
> >were, and didn't take you seriously enough to play non-mess-around
> >teams. Once they'd been informed by everyone else that you were
> >going to be reporting the whole thing, they came back and destroyed
> >you. Did you note the slight differences in the teams they played
> >from night to night, and the ways they played those teams? Right.
>
> No, actually. The tactics that were beating me on Friday were
identical
> to what I was beating on Thursday. Sentinel/Cable/BH team, use BH-B
and
> Sentinel's ground game to pin me down and build meter, then bring in
Cable
> to clean house once he's loaded. Every now and then they'd take
Sentinel
> to the air and fly just for giggles. They did nothing different or
better
> on Friday, I simply didn't have the patience on Friday (due to a lot
of
> out-of-game factors) to cut through it. That doesn't make it any less
> my own stupid fault, no, but the stupidity in question was
out-of-game.

This is total BS. What exactly else *is* there to do with Sentinel?
You played against better players when people were expecting it.

> On Thursday, I was doing a lot of things I wasn't doing on Friday. I
was
> jamming up the Sentinel/BH traps a lot more, both Doom-on-Sentinel and
> Sentinel-on-Sentinel. With Doom, I'd either be throwing jumping
fierces
> to jam up the BH assists or I'd do so with my own Sentinel's drones,
which
> left me able to either close the distance so that Cammy's cannon spike
> could screw things up or just plain move enough to drop photon charges
> on them. With Sentinel, I was just sticking out the laser breath to
stop
> BH, and putting a lot more pressure on them so that I could be the one
> throwing the drones (and Doom's rocks) rather than just quietly taking
> it. And against Cable (usually with Doom) I was just plain a lot less
> mistake-prone. Plus their Sentinels took a lot more cannon spikes to
> knock them out of the air.

OK. You said for people to expect you there on FRIDAY NIGHT. Not
Thursday night. You show up a day early, on a night that is normally
full of scrubs, and you want to brag? Laugh.

Doug and Kevin Park (the Asian guy that is "the best") are good players,
but are no threat to win any MVC2 tourney (that's not to say that I am).
Also like anyone else, if they are playing on a Thursday night, and
someone with any idea of how to play shows up, they are going to play
some games at half speed just for kicks. If they had any idea what was
"at stake" beforehand, you would not have seen ANY middle tier
characters, or Strider for that matter. No one in Sac plays Strider
worth a damn.

And by the way, Kevin is not "the best" in MVC2. Jason Marynik (DocBom)
has played in more MVC2 tournaments, placed better, and beat him
head-to-head in the MVC2 tourney at B4. And you got resoundingly
smashed by Jason, who showed up on *Friday* night... you know, the night
you said you'd show up.

Thursday DOES NOT COUNT. You said you would show up on Friday, then you
show up a day early (when nobody is expecting you), come back the next
day, drive around for four hours (and might I add, the fact that you
spent 4 hours driving to see an old town, when you KNEW that everyone
was going to be harshly judging your performance that night, is rather
suspect), then come back that night, get smashed, and complain about how
tired you are? It seems to me that your plan might have been more along
the lines of:

Show up a night early and "scope the competition"
Get the names of some players (who the fuck is Tamara??????)
Even if you get crushed Friday night, you still have Thursday to fall
back on

> BUT...
>
> I did not lose 80% of the games. I did not "only win by random Cable
> supers" (pause for laughter). I did not lose any games because I was
> voluntarily playing Rogue against top tier teams. And they did not
play
> any different or better teams or tactics on Friday than they did on
> Thursday -- I simply wasn't dealing with it effectively. The players
> down there weren't any better than what I run into in Portland, and in
> some elements (Spiral and Strider) they were noticeably _worse_.
Brian
> actually gives me some trouble with Spiral/Strider here in Portland...
those
> guys, I just walked all over when they tried it. That's one thing I
can
> say very simply: my Doom/Sentinel teams did not lose a single game to
> any team that had Strider or Spiral on it in Sac.

If you wanted to play against Strider or Spiral, go to Milpitas or
SVGL, where the good Spiral and Strider players are. This was said
ahead of time.

> The _only_ combination that I had any real difficulty overcoming at
any
> time in the weekend was Doom/BH and Sentinel/BH late Friday. They
> weren't doing anything with it that night that I didn't beat Thursday
> and don't beat halfway regularly at home,

Maybe they were just doing it BETTER. I don't think Duc's Cable does
anything that Jackson's doesn't (AHVB), he just does it BETTER.

> I just wasn't playing at my
> best that particular night. Someone who only saw me late Friday might
> think I suck (and hell, that night, I _did_ suck). Someone who only
> saw me Thursday might have come away thinking I was pretty good. (And
> when I'm playing at my best, I am.) My chars didn't change. Their
> chars didn't change. They didn't add anything, I subtracted. I had
> a good night one night, followed by a horrible one the next. It
happens.

The night when you were expected to show up, you got smashed. Without
your early appearance on Thursday, you have nothing to show for. Seems
pretty clear cut to me.

> > Your version of events contains a number of facts, although
> >they're thoroughly "Stiltified", and loaded with more of your
patented
> >and maddeningly vague little catch-phrases, all designed to obscure
> >your poor performance. Even before you posted, someone predicted as
> >much, and busted you *in advance*. You couldn't stop yourself
> >though- the truth itself would of course be a bit uncomfortable.
>
> I have no shame about how I did, overall. I personally don't expect
> satisfy you, Seth. If I'd stomped them as flat on Friday as I did on
> Thursday, you'd be grousing that I went to "just" Sacramento instead
> of the Golflands in either LA or the bay area.

If you had said "I'm going to show up Thursday night," you wouldn't have
done any better on Thursday than you did on Friday. Of course, on
Thursday, you were just coming from a multi-hour flight, and bone-tired
from dealing with airport hassle, right?

Seriously, if your excuse on Friday is that you were tired, hungry, and
had to go to the bathroom, that is STANDARD CONDITION for any
tournament. (Duc tried to go to the bathroom during his match
with Eddie at B4, because he had been waiting for the key and never got
to go.) You'll get no sympathy from anyone who's ever been to any
serious tournament.

Essentially, your whole basis for your "not-unacceptable" performance in
Sac is based around THE DAY BEFORE YOU SAID YOU'D BE THERE. Sorry, that
doesn't cut it. On the day that you said you'd show up, you chose to
drive around all day, you chose not to use the bathroom, you chose not
to eat all day. That is YOUR FUCKING BAD. You got smashed, no excuses.

--
"If God is so good, why didn't he give you a jump shot?"
- Charles Barkley, to A.C. Green

Dan Thompson
[send e-mail to] edge [at] chipware [dot] net

Spider-Dan

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Oh, by the way, I hope this is the end of your repeated claims
that Rogue is anything but trash, that she "can be very
dangerous with the right team behind her," that she "is the
hardest hitting of the fighters that can match her speed," etc.
Obviously you were at least smart enough to know that if you
picked that loser in Sac, you would have had your ass handed to
you even more severely than you did.

--
Dan Thompson
[send email to] edge [at] chipware [dot] net

Stilt Man

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <OWEk5.533$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

seth james killian <skil...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:
>[massive amounts of bullshit deleted]

> Here's the deal: I posted about you re: Cable after I heard that
>you were doing all your damage with random supers.

You heard wrong.

> The 80% loss figure is how much you lost when you exclude the
>wins v scrubs, girls, the elderly, and the palsy you taunted into
>challenging you. DocBom reported slapping you around 15 (13?) to 3.
>That doesn't mean you lost 15 of an 18 game stretch, which you denied.
>It just means you got owned whenever someone competent was on the mic.

Well, see other post about who I suspect DocBom probably was. The only "tall
white guy" I played that many times did indeed mess up my Rogue teams, but was
told to his face that I don't play Rogue when I'm playing serious, and got
stomped flat when I took the gloves off and brought out Doom/Sentinel, quitting
after a few _very_ one-sided games in my favor.

I suggest you ask this DocBom dude a bit more closely what, exactly, that
tally represents. If he's including any significant number of Rogue matches,
then you need to inform him that I wasn't exactly playing serious in those.
In general, Seth, you're not impressing me here with your willingness to jump
to conclusions before you've heard it all. But then, you don't impress me on
a lot of things.

>>The only names I knew were Tamara (from the B4 site) and Doug (from overhearing

>>it there). Doug, I beat...

> Well, I've never heard of the mighty "Doug", and I *strongly*
>suspect that you're mis-identifying whoever you think was "Tamara from the
>B4 site", as she doesn't really play games at all, and probably would have
>had a conspicuous camera+crew.

Yes, I was. I had her mixed up with Jeanette. My apologies, fault was
altogether mine on this one.

>>Did anyone dispute my account of the Portland tournament? Or my statement
>>that nobody who placed in the top three (including me) lost any games to
>>anyone in the tournament except each other? Even when playing mess around
>>teams? How about this one: except for Jackson, every Portlander who posts
>>here was eliminated from that tournament... by me... with a Rogue team...
>>in a sweep.

> Ah- I actually forgot the Tournament of Titans that attracted the
>finest 11 players from the entire Portland mall...
> Does anyone dispute that Portland (excepting perhaps Jackson) *sucks*
>at MVC2? Does anyone dispute that you didn't even beat Karl (or whoever it
>was) who was was somewhere south of mediocre?

Karl? Uh, he went down in the second round of the losers' bracket. He didn't
last anywhere near long enough to reach me. I went down in five games to
Brian (in a best of five), who went on to extend Jackson to a five game set
(in another best of five) in the championship set.

If I'd lost to Karl, yeah, that _would_ have been a bit of cause for
embarassment.

I suggest you ask a few more people than just DocBom how I did in Sac, and
make sure they actually played my serious chars rather than just Rogue.
Beating my Rogue a few times before getting utterly shredded by my Doom/Sent
team when I start actually playing serious myself is not exactly ground upon
which one should be bragging.

sol t kim

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <8mv4mv$7ra$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The true comedy of this situation is that you defend these top players
>like you're one of them. The fact of the matter is when I said "top
>players" I mean people who win tournaments. Not you Seth. I wasn't

>talking about useless idiots that do nothing for the NG but try to make
>themselves look better at the cost of others. You're really nothing
>more than a school-yard bully. .

Fluffy, Seth has placed top on innumerouble tournaments. You clearly
don't know what you are talking about, or who you are talking to. If I
had to make classifications, he would make in 'top player' group.

>Seth, I'm sorry for whatever has happened to you in the past to make
>feel so horrible about yourself that you have to bash others. I think
>you need a hug...

Nice try, but not funny

Stilt Man

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <03b1d85a...@usw-ex0106-046.remarq.com>,

Spider-Dan <spid...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Oh, by the way, I hope this is the end of your repeated claims
>that Rogue is anything but trash, that she "can be very
>dangerous with the right team behind her," that she "is the
>hardest hitting of the fighters that can match her speed," etc.
>Obviously you were at least smart enough to know that if you
>picked that loser in Sac, you would have had your ass handed to
>you even more severely than you did.

She can be dangerous, but she has her problems, yes. No, I didn't expect to
win with Rogue against the best players in Sac playing their best teams, even
before I went. I have indeed come to consider Rogue more of a "mess around"
char now.

Jinmaster

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
So, you're a top player then. Your attitude stinks. I don't see any top
players here flaming like a brat as you are. And with all the tops I've
met, Valle, Dan, Choi, Eddie, Art, etc etc, none of them have a shitty
attitude like yours. Yes, your flames toward stilt were VERY funny. I
would hesitate to lump everyone who you disagree with into the same
category as Stiltman however.

As for the top players being elitist, I don't believe this is true,
although I have heard several opinions that a few of them whom I will
not name have come off arrogant during tournaments.

In article <hGFk5.538$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

--
Homepage for Marvel Vs. Capcom I and
II:http://www.geocities.com/therealjinmaster/
Homepage for Starcraft:
http://www.geocities.com/therealjinmaster/starcraft/intro.html

Stilt Man

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <8mvcef$dpj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Spider-Dan <spid...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Doug and Kevin Park (the Asian guy that is "the best") are good players,
>but are no threat to win any MVC2 tourney (that's not to say that I am).
> Also like anyone else, if they are playing on a Thursday night, and
>someone with any idea of how to play shows up, they are going to play
>some games at half speed just for kicks. If they had any idea what was
>"at stake" beforehand, you would not have seen ANY middle tier
>characters, or Strider for that matter. No one in Sac plays Strider
>worth a damn.

I didn't see any middle tier chars or Strider on Thursday night against
those two. They played all Doom, Sentinel, Cable, and BH. I think it's
fair to say that this was within their ability.

And I agree with you about the Strider part. Sac's Striders are even weaker
than Portland's.

>And by the way, Kevin is not "the best" in MVC2. Jason Marynik (DocBom)
>has played in more MVC2 tournaments, placed better, and beat him
>head-to-head in the MVC2 tourney at B4. And you got resoundingly
>smashed by Jason, who showed up on *Friday* night... you know, the night
>you said you'd show up.

Well, I can only speculate who this "Jason" was... does this person hang
around with Jeanette? Probably would've been playing me early Friday
evening, a lot of Magneto, Storm, Cable, Cyclops stuff? As I've said a
couple of times, the closest fit to the description I've been given of
this person and the tally I've heard (and who knew I was coming) basically
messed up my Rogue teams for a little while before I took the gloves off
with my Doom/Sentinel/Cammy team and ran his tail out of there. If, indeed,
this was Sac's best player, then (a) he needs to clue up that even I don't
consider Rogue a "serious" char any more, and (b) I guess I did a lot better
Friday night than I thought when I _was_ playing serious, because that dude
had MONSTER troubles with my Doom/Sentinel team.

If that _was_ him, then yeah, the overall tally was probably not far from
what he reported... but I'd suggest you ask him to break that tally down,
because I'm sorry, I'm _not_ going to put a terrible amount of pride on my
Rogue any more.

>Thursday DOES NOT COUNT. You said you would show up on Friday, then you
>show up a day early (when nobody is expecting you), come back the next
>day, drive around for four hours (and might I add, the fact that you
>spent 4 hours driving to see an old town, when you KNEW that everyone
>was going to be harshly judging your performance that night, is rather
>suspect), then come back that night, get smashed, and complain about how
>tired you are? It seems to me that your plan might have been more along
>the lines of:

>Show up a night early and "scope the competition"
>Get the names of some players (who the fuck is Tamara??????)
>Even if you get crushed Friday night, you still have Thursday to fall
>back on

Uh... no. I went on Thursday night because I didn't have anything better
to do. On Friday night, maybe I just didn't take it seriously enough,
because I spent a _lot_ of time playing Rogue, when it's been a long time
since I really considered Rogue to be a top level char. She's a _good_
char, but if I'm playing serious, no, I'm not going to play Rogue. It
_is_ true that the guy I suspect was DocBom was noticeably taking the games

a lot more seriously than I was.

>If you wanted to play against Strider or Spiral, go to Milpitas or

>SVGL, where the good Spiral and Strider players are. This was said
>ahead of time.

I'll keep that in mind if I happen to get down there.

Stilt Man

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <AxHk5.141$x3.2128@uchinews>,
sol t kim <sol...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>In article <8mvfkf$2em$1...@user2.teleport.com>,
>Stilt Man <stil...@user2.teleport.com> wrote:
><snip..blahblah>

>>Uh... no. I went on Thursday night because I didn't have anything better
>>to do. On Friday night, maybe I just didn't take it seriously enough,
>>because I spent a _lot_ of time playing Rogue,

>OK. stiltman. This is your chance to prove yourself, and you were 'sick',
>'wanted to go to bathroom', 'couldn't see straight', and now what, you
>were 'not taking this seriously'? Alright, so that justifies you doing
>badly on Friday? I'm not just ditching you, but I find it strange, at
>least to say, that you did not 'play seriously' when you seemingly wanted
>so badly to prove yourself. Personally, I find that there is no excuse to
>defeat. If you were feeling sick, there is just as a good chance that
>your opponent was, etc.

There were a number of factors to Friday:

1. On Thursday night, Kevin (if SpiderDan's ID on the individual I talked to
is correct) told me that the best players there don't tend to show up until
9 PM. He also didn't seem to realize that I was coming. So I took from this
that not many folks would be aware that I'd be showing up, and so when I got
there a lot earlier than 9 PM on Friday, I didn't expect I was going to run
into anyone terribly good for several hours and didn't really play like it
mattered.

2. Yes, I wasn't feeling well.

3. Yes, I hadn't eaten much.

Perhaps a lot of these things are my fault. Whatever the case... I'm honestly
hoping, at this point, that I'm _wrong_ in my suspicions as to which player
I played there was DocBom, because not only was I not playing serious against
this person, I told him, to his face, at the time, that I don't play Rogue
when I'm playing serious, that I play Sentinel in her place when the gloves
are off. If this guy hears that, and then turns around and brags over IRC
that he beat me 13-3 or 15-3 or whatever when basically every single one of
those wins against me is when I'm playing Rogue rather than Sentinel, that
would be a bit... disappointing, especially when he quit so quickly when I
_did_ hand him his @$$ with Sentinel in there.

_Somebody_ please come forward and give me a positive ID that DocBom was
anybody but that guy... trouble is, given the description I've got and the
various comments he made at the time (the gentleman in question was the
only guy who expressed a pre-awareness that I was coming down there before
I told them that I was from Portland) I honestly can't think of anyone else
it could've been.

Anybody? Which one was he? What was he playing?

Fluffy

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
In article <hGFk5.538$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
skil...@students.uiuc.edu (seth james killian) wrote:
> Fluffy <loyd...@hotmail.com> writes:
> I wasn't
> >talking about useless idiots that do nothing for the NG but try to
make
> >themselves look better at the cost of others. You're really nothing
> >more than a school-yard bully.
>
> "Why how dare you sir! You're nothing more than a schoolyard
> ruffian!" Again, you need to take your seat. I've been on this NG
> since the dead beginning, and carried it through mightier idiots than
> even the hypothetical superidiot that would be formed by you riding on
> Stiltman's shoulders. But please, for your own part, your bitter,
> pathetic assesments of the elite are really helpful. Where would
> the NG be without *you*?

Seth, read my first post again from the beginning. You just proved my
point.

--
Fluffy

sol t kim

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
In article <8mvfkf$2em$1...@user2.teleport.com>,
Stilt Man <stil...@user2.teleport.com> wrote:

<snip..blahblah>

>Uh... no. I went on Thursday night because I didn't have anything better
>to do. On Friday night, maybe I just didn't take it seriously enough,
>because I spent a _lot_ of time playing Rogue,

OK. stiltman. This is your chance to prove yourself, and you were 'sick',
'wanted to go to bathroom', 'couldn't see straight', and now what, you
were 'not taking this seriously'? Alright, so that justifies you doing
badly on Friday? I'm not just ditching you, but I find it strange, at
least to say, that you did not 'play seriously' when you seemingly wanted
so badly to prove yourself. Personally, I find that there is no excuse to
defeat. If you were feeling sick, there is just as a good chance that
your opponent was, etc.

"Yeah, he beat me a little more than I beat him..it was like 10-2 in his
favor. But something got in my eyes in two matches, my hands hurt, I
scratched my legs in a crucial moments, and yeah, yeah, so it was more
like I won 1-2, so I don't feel that bad"

Whatever.

DoCBoM

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00

> ><snip..blahblah>
> >>Uh... no. I went on Thursday night because I didn't have anything
better
> >>to do. On Friday night, maybe I just didn't take it seriously
enough,
> >>because I spent a _lot_ of time playing Rogue,
>
> >OK. stiltman. This is your chance to prove yourself, and you
were 'sick',
> >'wanted to go to bathroom', 'couldn't see straight', and now what,
you
> >were 'not taking this seriously'? Alright, so that justifies you
doing
> >badly on Friday? I'm not just ditching you, but I find it strange,
at
> >least to say, that you did not 'play seriously' when you seemingly
wanted
> >so badly to prove yourself. Personally, I find that there is no
excuse to
> >defeat. If you were feeling sick, there is just as a good chance
that
> >your opponent was, etc.

The guy you wouldnt bet money against was Ray not DoCBoM. That guy
isnt even top10 around here so dont get too happy about your 2-3 wins
against him.

If this guy hears that, and then turns around and brags over IRC
> that he beat me 13-3 or 15-3 or whatever when basically every single
one of
> those wins against me is when I'm playing Rogue rather than Sentinel,
that
> would be a bit... disappointing, especially when he quit so quickly
when I
> _did_ hand him his @$$ with Sentinel in there.
>
> _Somebody_ please come forward and give me a positive ID that DocBom
was
> anybody but that guy... trouble is, given the description I've got
and the
> various comments he made at the time (the gentleman in question was
the
> only guy who expressed a pre-awareness that I was coming down there
before
> I told them that I was from Portland) I honestly can't think of
anyone else
> it could've been.

The only reason he even said anything to you about being from Portland
is because I let him know that you didnt speak of Sac too highly in
your "challenge" and that he should play his best against you and not
mess around. And seriously if Kevin and Doug knew about you on
Thursday night they wouldve played against you a lot more serious.
They just figured you were just some random scrub so thats why they
picked the teams they did that night and not exploit all overused
strats. We saved those for Friday night and you obviously saw what
happened.

> Anybody? Which one was he? What was he playing?

I came in around 6:30 that night and played basically the whole time
until around 10:30 then left. The whole time I played you I only
played 3 teams. Your first match against me you beat my
Iceman/S.Samurai/Doom. Then for the rest of the night I only used
Cable/Sentinel/Commando or glitched Jugg/Doom/BH against everyone and
ended up with a win total around 13 against you. I also find it
amusing how you say you won over 50% of your matches Friday night but
you got stomped on by me, and Kevin had a 40 game winning streak
against everyone including you at the end of the night. Im not sure
where you got the time to catch back up on all your wins when we were
pretty much in control of the machine for the whole night

Jinmaster

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
Please address Spider-Dan's points, you falied to do so. Thursday night
does not count, the day you said you'd be there does. You got rocked.
Admit it plz, or die.

> [...]

> char, but if I'm playing serious, no, I'm not going to play Rogue. It
> _is_ true that the guy I suspect was DocBom was noticeably taking the
games
> a lot more seriously than I was.
>

> >If you wanted to play against Strider or Spiral, go to Milpitas or
> >SVGL, where the good Spiral and Strider players are. This was said
> >ahead of time.
>

> I'll keep that in mind if I happen to get down there.
>

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> The Stilt Man stil...@teleport.com
> http://www.teleport.com/~stiltman/stiltman.html
> < We are Microsoft Borg '98. Lower your expectations and >
> < surrender your money. Antitrust law is irrelevant. >
> < Competition is irrelevant. We will add your financial and >
> < technological distinctiveness to our own. Your software >
> < will adapt to service ours. Resistance is futile. >

Scott Summers

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
>If this guy hears that, and then turns around and brags over IRC
>that he beat me 13-3 or 15-3 or whatever when basically every
>single one of
>those wins against me is when I'm playing Rogue rather than
Sentinel, that
>would be a bit... disappointing, especially when he quit so
quickly when I
>_did_ hand him his @$$ with Sentinel in there.

I don't know about you stiltman but if someone beats me 4-0 in a
game that I'm good at then my pride and reputation will be on
the line and therefore I have to bring out my top tiers after 4-
0 and see how good that player really is. I'm not trying to
flame you stilt, but I don't understand why you didn't use you
top team earlier knowing you are in a location where you have to
represent Portland. I mean...I would mess around to have fun of
course but if I'm losing real bad then its time to show whoever
what I am capable of. So my question is...why didn't you use
you top team earlier to avoid 13-3 or whatever ratio?

P.S. The ratio 4-0 I use in the above statement does not refer
to you stilt. It's just a ratio where I think from thereon out
I have to prove myself.

Stilt Man

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
In article <8n0frc$72g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, DoCBoM <doc...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>The guy you wouldnt bet money against was Ray not DoCBoM. That guy
>isnt even top10 around here so dont get too happy about your 2-3 wins
>against him.

All right... no, I wasn't, like I said, when I played him serious I won a
lot more often than not, so I didn't walk away with a real impression that
he was a great player. This is why I was expressing mild unhappiness if that
_had_ been the guy in question, because I didn't even get the idea that he
was all that good.

>> Anybody? Which one was he? What was he playing?

>I came in around 6:30 that night and played basically the whole time
>until around 10:30 then left. The whole time I played you I only
>played 3 teams. Your first match against me you beat my
>Iceman/S.Samurai/Doom. Then for the rest of the night I only used
>Cable/Sentinel/Commando or glitched Jugg/Doom/BH against everyone and
>ended up with a win total around 13 against you.

Okay, now I know which one you were. I definitely remember that glitched
Jug/Doom/BH team as having given me fits. The rest of the teams you were
playing were (no offense) pretty forgettable, and I didn't even really
notice you until you threw that team at me. That was about the point when
I started getting a little upset at myself, thinking I should've been doing
better than I did. You weren't really doing anything all that profound --
glitch up Jug, swap for Doom, sj. fierce if I went up after you, throw
photon charges from the air while mixing Jug and BH assists. I'm kicking
myself that I didn't do better against it, because this really isn't that
different from things I've seen in Portland. I just sort of drew a blank
on it that night and couldn't deal with it to save my life, I wasn't dealing
with BH-related traps with my Doom/Sentinel team well at all that night. No
excuses for that... you tore me a new one regardless of what I threw at it
and I can't say as there's any reason I couldn't have done better that wasn't
my own stupid fault.

>I also find it
>amusing how you say you won over 50% of your matches Friday night but
>you got stomped on by me, and Kevin had a 40 game winning streak
>against everyone including you at the end of the night. Im not sure
>where you got the time to catch back up on all your wins when we were
>pretty much in control of the machine for the whole night

I'd beat Jeanette here, I'd beat Ray a few times there, I beat that other
guy who played the Iron Man/SS team a few times. I might be wrong about
how I did earlier in the evening, I wasn't counting that closely. I didn't
stick around long enough to see Kevin reach 40, I left when he was at about
half that, and the line of people playing him was long enough that I didn't
cough up more than about three or four games to him before I took that as my
cue to bail. By the time Kevin showed up, I was definitely not running on
full throttle and knew it -- I played Kevin with the same teams on both
sides on Thursday and did a lot better. I was very disappointed with how
I did against the BH-related traps late Friday, and have already said as
much -- this was an element of my playing that I think I wasn't handling
with anywhere near my usual patience. If and when we meet again (it's
pretty likely that I'll find an excuse to get down there again) I'll try
to keep myself in better playing shape, because I just plain squandered
Friday. I messed around when I was in good shape earlier in the evening,
and got sick enough that when I tried/failed to play serious later on I
got stomped. I'm not upset much about the earlier parts, but the later
parts when people started throwing BH-assist lockdowns at me, I feel like
I let slip away.

seth james killian

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:

And so we come to the inevitable final stages of any Stilt-centric
thread, the ugly backpeddling, revisionism, and excuses that are now
necessary to accommodate the painful truth of what actually happened
(a truth which, as always, he's had to have crammed down his throat)...

Re: the 15-3 beatdown that Stilt found so mind-bogglingly
impossible before:

>If that _was_ him, then yeah, the overall tally was probably not far from
>what he reported... but I'd suggest you ask him to break that tally down,
>because I'm sorry, I'm _not_ going to put a terrible amount of pride on my
>Rogue any more.

Although he remains delightfully vague, he finally acknowledges
the wilamette-valley ass-kicking he took. And what deep mystery had to be
explained to Stilt before he could remember this? That he wasn't playing
against some amorphous blob of interchangable players called "Sacramento",
but rather individual players. Sorry for assuming that was obvious-
always a serious rookie mistake when dealing with Stilty.
The best part about this though is that the beatdown he's admitting
here isn't even the one DocBom handed him, that I was initially talking
about- it's a whole separate beating. Stilt is hurt bad, and leaking truth
accidentally. Can't even keep his beatings straight...

But wait! There's more (excuses):

>maybe I just didn't take it seriously enough,

>It _is_ true that the guy I suspect was DocBom was noticeably taking the
>games a lot more seriously than I was.

So for those of you keeping score at home, recall that Stilt
*began* by offering a full compliment of excuses (now familiar, but so
funny as to bear repeating), including: he had been seated in a car
prior to the matches. He had become hungry (even though he'd eaten a
hamburger *the very same day*! can you even believe it?). Finally,
he had to... tinkle.
So I think you can see, how could *anyone* be expected to perform
under these circumstances? And when you factor in his wins against the
mess around play on Thursday night, as well as the fact that he wasn't
even taking Friday (the announced confrontation) *seriously*, then it's
really understandable. Finally, after beatind down the kids (and their
fucking Dads!) who were wasting 5 minutes in the arcade before their
movie started, Stilt was really able to leave "Sac-town" on a high note.
An unembarrassing performance indeed! Right? Right?

Seth Killian

seth james killian

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:

>No
>excuses for that... you tore me a new one regardless of what I threw at it
>and I can't say as there's any reason I couldn't have done better that wasn't
>my own stupid fault.

Although I still think you're doing yourself a few favors even
as you concede your getting beat completely the fuck down, if you've ever
felt that people here are unfair to you, even a little, reread your first
felt on how you did in Sac back-to-back with your concession speech.
Night and day. And you had to be dragged, kicking and screaming,
through god knows how many posts, just to come out with it. For any future
defenders of Stilt, or whiners about elitism, harshness, etc: know your
history. Or if you''re too lazy for that, just imagine 7+ years of dealnig
with this simpering, weaseling, and straight-up lying little fuck, and
the hundreds almost as bad. Still feeling magnanimous? Me neither.

Seth Killian
www.shoryuken.com

Stilt Man

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
In article <HxWk5.614$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

seth james killian <skil...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:
>>No
>>excuses for that... you tore me a new one regardless of what I threw at it
>>and I can't say as there's any reason I couldn't have done better that wasn't
>>my own stupid fault.

> Although I still think you're doing yourself a few favors even
>as you concede your getting beat completely the fuck down, if you've ever
>felt that people here are unfair to you, even a little, reread your first
>felt on how you did in Sac back-to-back with your concession speech.
> Night and day.

Uh, no. My early account of it, from the start, was that I did fine on
Thursday night, did okay on Friday early on (even though I was generally
messing around) before eventually starting to just plain fold up later
in the evening. I stated before DocBom's post that I was having troubles
later on with a Jug/Doom/BH team (which turned out to be his) and then a
Cable/Sentinel/BH team (which was Kevin's), and didn't think I was playing
as well as I could have at that point. I didn't feel then, and don't feel
now, that anyone did anything differently or better late Friday night than
Kevin did Thursday or that people do in Portland, I was simply shot. Kevin
played the exact same team against me Thursday night that he ran up the
40 game win streak with on Friday, and the tale then was very different:
I beat him about three out of five. Kevin wasn't even aware that I was
coming, but didn't seem to be messing around and didn't express a general
sentiment that I sucked based on that performance. (In fact, Kevin told me
Thursday night he thought I was pretty good after this.)

Friday night, I did all right early on. I wasn't aware anyone was tallying
my Rogue performance game for game, so I messed around for a while. Kevin
told me Thursday that most of the good players tended to show up around 9 PM
so I didn't expect to run across any of them, which is _why_ I was messing
around early on. Eventually I brought out the good chars (Doom/Sentinel/Cammy)
and lit people up for a short while, until eventually DocBom's Jug/Doom/BH
team shut me down cold. I was worn down enough by this point that I never
really adjusted. The reasons I was worn down were entirely my own fault,
and they in no way change the fact (as I said) that the various BH-related
traps I ran into late Friday basically pinned me down hard.

The only part of my performance in Sac that I'm in any way unhappy about on
the whole is knowing that my harshest critics would take one of my worst
nights I've had in months from a playing-to-potential standpoint as the
litmus test of my full ability. I knew walking out of there that I probably
wasn't leaving behind a really impressive picture to anyone who only saw
me Friday night -- I played _way_ too passive that night and let people do
a lot of things to me that I shouldn't have. I didn't feel too bad about
it overall because of how I'd done Thursday against many of the same people,
and still don't. That doesn't change the fact that the best one or two players
there beat me late Friday night, even as I was playing serious -- they did.
I'm not going to tell those people anything other than that, in those games,
they tore me several new orifices. But I didn't walk away from there feeling
like I didn't belong in the same state with them. Said it then. Saying it
again now. The main thing I'd change if I went back would be to just plain
take better care of myself and go from there.

And, if and when I go back, that's what I intend to do. My failure to do so
this time was my own stupid fault.

This is not a different account than what I said at first. I don't
feel embarassed on the whole by how I did. It was probably a mistake to take
Kevin on his word too much when he said (a) that he was the best player in
Sac and (b) that the best players usually didn't show up until about 9 PM.
This left me feeling a bit overconfident and like the early games didn't
really matter much, so I played a lot of Rogue early in flat out mess-around
mode. Evidently DocBom was tallying this up with the rest of them, and by
the time he presented something that should've forced a real adjustment out
of me I was just too tired to do so. All of this is pretty much completely
my own fault, too.

And now, you, Seth, are misreading what I'm saying to him utterly. I'm a
gracious player, and I'm always going to be cool to someone who I actually
play against. I'm generally pretty gentle in talking to fellow Portlanders
(even if I _do_ regularly own most of them), and now that I've played the
folks in Sac I'm not going to give them, personally, any excuses for anything
that happened. Your failure here is in misconstruing that as though that
graciousness I'm exhibiting applies in any way to you.

Just so your habit of failing to recognize the various tones I take doesn't
get to you again, I'll say this bluntly: this is addressed to Seth, not
DocBom or anyone else.

You're a jerk. You're a troll. Your behavior on this newsgroup is utterly
contemptible. I'm quietly applauding Fluffy calling you on it because, even
if you _have_ placed top three in more national tournaments than he or I have
ever been to, that in no way excuses the attitude that you cop on here. Even
people who hang out with you in person (I won't name names) have been known
to laugh when I wryly comment that you'd almost _have_ to be a nicer person
than this in real life than you act like in here in order to have gotten
through college alive. I'm fully aware that you're generally a nicer person
in real life than you act like in here -- and I've even been known to troll
you up blatantly in order to take a jab at your tendencies to use this
newsgroup to work out whatever frustrations you feel off line. I'm not
casting doubt on your ability as a player, I'm not generally claiming that
you don't know anything about the games. You do. That's not the point of
this message from me to you. The point of it _is_, your attitude in here
makes mine look absolutely saint-like, and your performance at tournaments,
IMNSHO, does not in any way excuse that, even though a number of people on
this newsgroup tend to let you get away with it due to such.

If we were to meet in person, I'd be a lot nicer to you than this, too. I
give the folks in Sac that kind of friendliness for that reason. That in no
way means that I'm going to extend that same friendliness to some dude in
Southern Illinois who, according to reliable sources who've met you, looks
for all the world like a Simpsons reject, who feels like he can get his kicks
by flaming somebody he's never met, never played against, and seems all too
willing to make a mountain out of every negative molehill he hears about me
while conveniently ignoring or discounting everything positive that might
slip through the grapevine, all concerning a game where he himself has
proven absolutely nothing other than that the other goofs in Illinois play
it with even less ability than he does.

I don't give a flying fish whether you were good at SSF2T or whatever other
games you played seriously. That and three bucks will buy you a cup of
espresso at Starbucks. So you're a perfect jerk who happens to be good
at something. Chips Ahoy to you. Everyone, a round of one-handed applause,
if you PLEASE!

Happy with that accolade? Good. Now go crawl back in your hole. Maybe
you'll find something there that'll teach you how to make your newsposter
capitalize your name.

seth james killian

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:

>Uh, no. My early account of it, from the start...

[Revisionist bullshit deleted- if anyone's still reading
this, please do as I recommended. Read his first account,
and the last. Do they seem to paint a slightly different
picture? Do you think that the ever-truthful Stilt would
have come out with *any* of the subsequent info re: his
getting beatdown without a little prodding? Me neither.]

>And now, you, Seth, are misreading what I'm saying to him utterly. I'm a
>gracious player, and I'm always going to be cool to someone who I actually
>play against.

So are most people. But that didn't stop you from trying to
pretend "Kevin" (or whoever's) not yelling "You suck!" counts as a
testament to your ability. Here's some advice: if you want to impress
people at SF, and then have them report it, try *winning* instead of
hanging around in a parking lot waiting for a scrap that you can draw
some retarded inference from.

>Just so your habit of failing to recognize the various tones I take doesn't
>get to you again, I'll say this bluntly: this is addressed to Seth, not
>DocBom or anyone else.

Right. Divide and conquer, eh? I know you're tired of looking bad
when you drop huge buckets of bullshit all over the group, then get called
on it by a bunch of people. So if you can just bullshit about *me*, maybe
you can prevent everyone else from jumping in and humiliating you, huh?
Especially the guy who just beat you down- the mention of which was
entirely absent from your initial reporting, save some allusion to
your "starting to fall apart" (because you had to pee, etc- *not* because
the guy was fucking *better than you*).
Of course we all know that this isn't *really* "for Seth", because
you've posted it, rather than just emailing me. So this is you, putting on
a little show- a righteous call to arms against that most henious of all
criminals- a *usenet meanie* (cue dramatic music). And which troops are
you trying to rally? That's right- other bitter scrubs! Everyone who's
been flamed by Seth- unite! Maybe this could be it- the final charge of
Scrub Voltron, assembled and headed by *you* Stilt! Can you imagine the
glory? Stilt? Are you still with me?

Now put down that copy of "Braveheart", and bend over.

Begin Stiltified whine:

I'm quietly applauding Fluffy calling you on it because, even
>if you _have_ placed top three in more national tournaments than he or I have
>ever been to, that in no way excuses the attitude that you cop on here.

I'd very much like to see you explain what exactly you think my
"attitude" is, and why it's such a disaster for the group, Streetfighter,
or humanity generally. Here's your big shot! Come on. I understand of
course why *you* don't like it, but that's obvious enough- you like to
bullshit. I bust you on it, and make fun of you along the way. Other
than the generally panty-waisted attitude of "let's all be nice- then later
we'll sing!", why the fuck do you care *how* I say what I say? In a group
this loaded with the completely worthless, isn't it more important that
something be said at all? And please don't bother trying to complain
that my recent posts aren't filled with combos, or other such garbage.
Beyond the fact that yours aren't either, I think mine *are* on topic-
you';re reporting a SF meeting, and badly distorted the outcome to
your benefit. I busted you on it. That's completely relevant.

Even
>people who hang out with you in person (I won't name names) have been known
>to laugh when I wryly comment that you'd almost _have_ to be a nicer person
>than this in real life than you act like in here in order to have gotten
>through college alive. I'm fully aware that you're generally a nicer person
>in real life than you act like in here

So... you know and admit I'm a nice guy, real humanitarian, kind to
animals, etc.

>I'm not
>casting doubt on your ability as a player, I'm not generally claiming that
>you don't know anything about the games. You do.

Right...

That's not the point of
>this message from me to you. The point of it _is_, your attitude in here
>makes mine look absolutely saint-like,

This makes no sense to me. My attitude makes your look saintlike?
How does treating people roughly (*verbally*, at that) excuse bullshit?
I'll tell you: it doesn't. You're sadly left without anything relevant
to criticize me on (I'm a nice guy, with a good life and I'm good at SF
on an SF newsgroup)- so you pick the mysterious and completely irrelevant
"attitude". Like the moronic gym teacher who complains- "I don't like
that attitude, Mister!". You know when they say that? When you've
busted them, or made fun of them in ways they're only dimly aware of.
They can't actually punish you, because you haven't done anyhting. So
they complain about attitude. Just like you.
And just FYI, on the scale of usenet abusers, no matter where you
think "meanie" should go, "bullshit artist" and "liar" are dead fucking
last.

and your performance at tournaments,
>IMNSHO, does not in any way excuse that, even though a number of people on
>this newsgroup tend to let you get away with it due to such.

Bzz. I was getting away with this long before my first tournament.
You know why? I was right. I was entertaining. It was good for the group.
Why the fuck do you think people read usenet? I'll tell you the #1 and 2
answers: Entertainment, and information. You seem to think that it
should be some kind of courtesy party, where we spend all day holding
doors for one another. "How do you do sir?" "No- how do *you* do?"
Whatever.

>If we were to meet in person, I'd be a lot nicer to you than this, too. I
>give the folks in Sac that kind of friendliness for that reason. That in no
>way means that I'm going to extend that same friendliness to some dude in
>Southern Illinois who, according to reliable sources who've met you, looks
>for all the world like a Simpsons reject, who feels like he can get his kicks
>by flaming somebody he's never met, never played against,

Reliable sources who've met me? What is this? There are fucking
pictures of me up on (at least) the B4 site. You think I look like a freak?
I'd place like 429th in any "Freak" competition held at a SF tournament.
And this from the man who for years hid his very fucking real name out
of shame and fear that someone would find him? From the man who at 6'5"
weighs like 100lbs? And you're seriously going to sit here and play the
fucking freak game? WTF.
And as for "never played against"- is that supposed to be my fucking
fault? I was at the same arcade you just played in for a huge national
tournament a month ago, dickless. I'm all over- it's you who's doing
backflips and waiting for your cookie because you left the house after
7 years. WTF.

and seems all too
>willing to make a mountain out of every negative molehill he hears about me
>while conveniently ignoring or discounting everything positive that might
>slip through the grapevine,

Um, dude- there is no "grapevine" about you. After years of
your bullshit, people wondered how it went for like 5 minutes on irc, unitl
DocBom came and told everyone what they were expecting to hear: You got
spanked. Other than that, the only time you *ever* get mentioned is
when someone's laughing about you. I am not kidding.

all concerning a game where he himself has
>proven absolutely nothing other than that the other goofs in Illinois play
>it with even less ability than he does.

??? Um, there are at least 4 players in IL that are way better
than I am. I don't even know what the fukc you're talking about anymore.
Is this supposed to be some kind of bust?

>I don't give a flying fish whether you were good at SSF2T or whatever other
>games you played seriously. That and three bucks will buy you a cup of
>espresso at Starbucks. So you're a perfect jerk who happens to be good
>at something. Chips Ahoy to you. Everyone, a round of one-handed applause,
>if you PLEASE!

Put down the fantasy novel, and look where you're posting. It's
a fucking SF newsgroup, you unbelievable twit. Do I think SF skill merits
some kind of respect generally? No. But you're fucking posting to one of
the few places in the entire world that it *does* matter. But thanks for
the applause (although it should be cross-handed, not one-handed. That
applause would be for your mom).

>Happy with that accolade? Good. Now go crawl back in your hole. Maybe
>you'll find something there that'll teach you how to make your newsposter
>capitalize your name.

Zing! It's the world-famous grammar flame! And not even at me,
but my *newsreader*. I'd report that score on the "weak-o-meter", but I'm
afraid it doesn't go that low. Really stunning, Stlit. Left with nothing
left to burn, you single me out, then are forced to admit I'm a great guy
with a solid tournament record, and brimming with knowledge about SF-
but my "attitude" (whatever the hell that's supposed to be) stinks?
Stilt, just shut up. You're well beyond embarrassing yourself, and
have now sunk to complimenting me?!? I can see you're really not up
to this, and I'm sorry for having picked on you.

"Stop me before I kill again"
Seth Killian

Stilt Man

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
In article <uL_k5.646$9N1....@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

seth james killian <skil...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:
>>Uh, no. My early account of it, from the start...

> [Revisionist bullshit deleted- if anyone's still reading
> this, please do as I recommended. Read his first account,
> and the last. Do they seem to paint a slightly different
> picture? Do you think that the ever-truthful Stilt would
> have come out with *any* of the subsequent info re: his
> getting beatdown without a little prodding? Me neither.]

I said I did just fine on a quick firing off, and described in a little more
detail in the thread asking specifically how I did. The second post was my
first real account on the matter. I conceded in that account that I didn't
feel I did very well late Friday night at all, but that overall I didn't think
I did that badly. Upon being asked, I explained that I didn't feel I did as
well as I could have against two different BH-related trapping teams because
I wasn't feeling well, for reasons that were my own stupid fault. I didn't
think they were doing anything differently Friday that wasn't tried on my
Thursday, I just was too shot to deal with it right.

I was giving an overview. Nobody asked for details, and the only details
anyone else offered was your rather ludicrous statement that I "only won
with random Cable supers", which after I called you on it, you modified to
"I heard you were doing most of your damage with random supers so I assumed
you were using Cable" and then tried to turn that into a further remark that
I must suck, even though you were simply wrong and got busted on it.

I'm sorry, I fail to see how giving a general overview that I thought I did
all right in general but got stomped late Friday night because I didn't keep
myself in playing shape differs from the details of against whom and what I
did in fact get stomped that night.

> I'd very much like to see you explain what exactly you think my
>"attitude" is, and why it's such a disaster for the group, Streetfighter,
>or humanity generally.

That's not too hard. You generally don't post here except to flame people.
This is somewhat disappointing, because you could do the group a lot of good
if you'd share a bit more of what you knew rather than just flaming everyone
you don't think knows as much. Instead, you don't contribute a whole lot
except anger, by venting your frustrations from off line here.

seth james killian

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
stil...@user2.teleport.com (Stilt Man) writes:

>> [Revisionist bullshit deleted- if anyone's still reading
>> this, please do as I recommended. Read his first account,
>> and the last. Do they seem to paint a slightly different
>> picture? Do you think that the ever-truthful Stilt would
>> have come out with *any* of the subsequent info re: his
>> getting beatdown without a little prodding? Me neither.]

[Repeated revisionism deleted for the umpteenth time. See
above- judge for yourselves]

>> I'd very much like to see you explain what exactly you think my
>>"attitude" is, and why it's such a disaster for the group, Streetfighter,
>>or humanity generally.

>That's not too hard. You generally don't post here except to flame people.

>This is somewhat disappointing, because you could do the group a lot of good
>if you'd share a bit more of what you knew rather than just flaming everyone
>you don't think knows as much. Instead, you don't contribute a whole lot
>except anger, by venting your frustrations from off line here.

I'm actually pretty easy going, but thanks for the 5-cent psychology.
Anyway- there's certainly not much I can disagree with in the above. I'll
merely point out that as a crime of omission, it indicts *everyone* who
knows what's up and who follow the group at all, which is casting your net
a bit wide, I think. The people in the know don't post here any more because
it's so rarely a dialogue- the tectonics of every game are already known,
and basically self-similiar. It's mostly about details and BS, overall.
Those who don't already understand the basics have essentially nothing to
contribute (this isn't their fault- they're just late comers, although it
is still their responsibility to be smart enough to know that they don't
know), which makes threads either a jumble of confusions, or charity.
Charity is all well and good, but the people getting it often don't know
that they even really need it, or are just obnoxious, which gets pretty
old. The attitude simply becomes "why bother"? At any rate, you'll be
happy to know that my nuggets of actual insight (as opposed to pure
venom) are piling up over at shoryuken.com, to be released sometime
soon. Keep your eyes peeled.

xo,
Seth Killian

Zeku

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
> > I think the player has to stop caring about the act of winning to
> > be able to truly become 'skilled.'
>
> Skill is the ability to win.

IMO caring about the act of winning is ultimately evil, while
caring about playing to win is ultimately good. So, I accept your
definition, but I just wanted to clarify that I think the cause
is more important than the result.

I believe that excessive winning is pointless and boring. I believe
that struggling is not the nature of life or reality. Toil is
necessary, and defeating an enemy is often necessary, but to struggle
against the cosmos or God or my fellow man is not my ultimate nature
or desire.

YeOldeHead

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Just wanted to say that even an uncommitted, unabashed scrub like me can
appreciate the precision and skill of seth's flames (which are applied rather
justly IMO).

So artful, I could imagine him making a living doing this stuff :)

I think the law of the land here in agsf2 (know of what you speak) isn't bad at
all.

Jinmaster

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Ya know, after downing this beer here, it took me a good minute before
what you wrote here made sense. I agree, getting a fat win streak can
actually make you a worse player. At about the 25 win mark(at least
for me), I start to slowly lower myself to the competition's level.
Eventually I will lose to a lesser player whom I may have already beat 7
times. Its just the way it is. I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging or
anything.

In the end, I don't think caring about winning is evil, but I agree that
competition is not the point of living.

In article <3994b910$1...@feed1.realtime.net>,

sol t kim

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
In article <8n1kel$mdj$1...@user2.teleport.com>,
Stilt Man <stil...@user2.teleport.com> wrote:

<snip>

Stilt, please stop. You are not doing anyone a favor by posting.