Cheap Pokemon

PxSx25h

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided they are
only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap? I agree
Mewtwo is sorta cheap because it is a psychic and its stats are way jacked up.
But hell, my Jolteon could take out Articuno, Moltres, and maybe Zapdos (does
the flying aspect make it vulnerable to electric?). Everyone has the
opportunity to catch them. My team is currently Hypno, Parasect, Golem, and
Jolteon. I also use Venusaur and Blastoise but I obtained Venusaur for my
Dragonite so I consider it a fair trade.
Obtaining Pokemon in a legit fashion does not make them cheap. I see posts
where if a person uses an Eevolution or Legendary Birds, they are considered
cheap. It's not cheap since everyone has a chance to catch them. Perhaps
other people like the challenge of using more regular Pokemon, but that's their
choice. It's a part of the game, like rushing in RTS games. And say there was
a tournament to see who would get Mew, wouldn't a L100 Mewtwo be handy?

Bandraptor

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
pxsx25h wrote:

>Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided they
>are
>only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap? I agree
>Mewtwo is sorta cheap because it is a psychic and its stats are way jacked
>up.
>But hell, my Jolteon could take out Articuno, Moltres, and maybe Zapdos (does
>the flying aspect make it vulnerable to electric?). Everyone has the
>opportunity to catch them. My team is currently Hypno, Parasect, Golem, and
>Jolteon. I also use Venusaur and Blastoise but I obtained Venusaur for my
>Dragonite so I consider it a fair trade.

I don't think the Legendaries/Starters/Eeveelutions are cheap, though I prefer
not to fight with them myself. Some people consider them to be cheap, because
they have high stats, etc.

The Legendaries, in particular, are caught at a high level; and Articuno and
Zapdos learn devastation moves on their first level-up.
So, when somebody comes to the board, bragging that their level 60 Legendaries
just wiped the walls with the Elite 4, the regulars tend to let out a
collective groan.

>Obtaining Pokemon in a legit fashion does not make them cheap. I see posts
>where if a person uses an Eevolution or Legendary Birds, they are considered
>cheap. It's not cheap since everyone has a chance to catch them. Perhaps
>other people like the challenge of using more regular Pokemon, but that's
>their
>choice.

Agreed. And as of those "other people", I consider it my goal to raise a
regular team that can beat the power players.

It's a part of the game, like rushing in RTS games. And say there
>was
>a tournament to see who would get Mew, wouldn't a L100 Mewtwo be handy?

Sure. Everyone would use one, and the tournament would last a month. <G>

-Beth
"Ii kanji!"

http://members.aol.com/bandraptor

Cat-Gonk

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Well then... pxs...@aol.com (PxSx25h) wrote:

>Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided they are
>only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap?

The Legendaries have massive stats, and learn the best moves
available. IMHO, Eeveelutions aren't at all cheap. The only reason for
my including them in the Pokethics scale is because a few people asked
me to.

Cat-Gonk.
----------------------------
Do you belive in Goddish?

Azure Heights Pokemon Staff.
(http://www.geocities.com/~korelano/)
-------------
Champion of Goddish.
One half of the Wigglytuff Warlords.
-------------
"Hey, I use Lick! It's a lot better than Night Shade!"
-SniperZ, clueless as ever.
-------------
AGNP- One Newsgroup under Goddish.

Sailor Pika

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99

PxSx25h <pxs...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided
they are
> only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap? I
agree
> Mewtwo is sorta cheap because it is a psychic and its stats are way jacked
up.
> But hell, my Jolteon could take out Articuno, Moltres, and maybe Zapdos
(does
> the flying aspect make it vulnerable to electric?). Everyone has the
> opportunity to catch them. My team is currently Hypno, Parasect, Golem,
and
> Jolteon. I also use Venusaur and Blastoise but I obtained Venusaur for my
> Dragonite so I consider it a fair trade.
> Obtaining Pokemon in a legit fashion does not make them cheap. I see
posts
> where if a person uses an Eevolution or Legendary Birds, they are
considered
> cheap. It's not cheap since everyone has a chance to catch them. Perhaps
> other people like the challenge of using more regular Pokemon, but that's
their
> choice. It's a part of the game, like rushing in RTS games. And say

there was
> a tournament to see who would get Mew, wouldn't a L100 Mewtwo be handy?

Any Pokémon caught at a high level, I consider cheap.

Eeveeloutions (One per team) and the starters (same) aren't really cheap,
just overused.

--
Sailor Pika
Pika must run, have battery will travel
My day of death will be Monday, March 30, 2065
------------------------
Visit the AGNP website at http://members.xoom.com/agnp/

MTSowbug

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
>Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided they
>are
>only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap? I agree
>Mewtwo is sorta cheap because it is a psychic and its stats are way jacked
>up.
>But hell, my Jolteon could take out Articuno, Moltres, and maybe Zapdos (does
>the flying aspect make it vulnerable to electric?). Everyone has the
>opportunity to catch them. My team is currently Hypno, Parasect, Golem, and
>Jolteon. I also use Venusaur and Blastoise but I obtained Venusaur for my
>Dragonite so I consider it a fair trade.
>Obtaining Pokemon in a legit fashion does not make them cheap. I see posts
>where if a person uses an Eevolution or Legendary Birds, they are considered
>cheap. It's not cheap since everyone has a chance to catch them. Perhaps
>other people like the challenge of using more regular Pokemon, but that's
>their
>choice. It's a part of the game, like rushing in RTS games. And say there
>was
>a tournament to see who would get Mew, wouldn't a L100 Mewtwo be handy?

Cheap in this context = overused, boring, stupid. I consider cheap: Mewtwo,
Mew, Legendary Birds, Starters. They are really overused, REALLY REALLY
boring, and stupid because they can be easily beaten.

"They taste salty." - Cassidy Wright
No, my name isn't Cassidy.

Hey, my character Phoo is the unofficial arch-rival of Random in the PokeWars!

(E-mail at md...@aol.com)

M.W.F.

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Check this out, straight from the mouth of PxSx25h ...

> Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided they are
> only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap? I agree
> Mewtwo is sorta cheap because it is a psychic and its stats are way jacked up.
> But hell, my Jolteon could take out Articuno, Moltres, and maybe Zapdos (does
> the flying aspect make it vulnerable to electric?).

That would be the reason.

> Everyone has the
> opportunity to catch them. My team is currently Hypno, Parasect, Golem, and
> Jolteon. I also use Venusaur and Blastoise but I obtained Venusaur for my
> Dragonite so I consider it a fair trade.
> Obtaining Pokemon in a legit fashion does not make them cheap. I see posts
> where if a person uses an Eevolution or Legendary Birds, they are considered
> cheap. It's not cheap since everyone has a chance to catch them. Perhaps
> other people like the challenge of using more regular Pokemon, but that's their
> choice. It's a part of the game, like rushing in RTS games. And say there was
> a tournament to see who would get Mew, wouldn't a L100 Mewtwo be handy?

OK, everyone defines cheap differently. In Pokemon, Cheap is equivalent
to Magic: the Gathering's cheese, in other words, easy to exploit and
strong.

Mewtwo is cheap, which most everyone can agree on. He's a Pure Psychic,
which means his only weakness is Bug attacks, and only 2 pokemon who
aren't also poison type can learn a Bug type attack. He's also resistant
to Psychic attacks, which are immensly powerful. The attacks he learns
make him a powerhouse and then some. There's you basic idea of cheap:
extremely strong, few if any weaknesses, and if in your team, you're
almost always guaranteed a win unless your opponent is using one also.

The Legendary Birds are cheap, although not to as severe a degree. Their
attacks (Ice Beam/Blizzard, Thunder, Fire Spin/Blast if you prefer that)
cause an intense amount of damage. The fact that you catch them at a
rather high level (50) helps offset their strength. If you could catch
one and raise it from LV 10, they'd be stronger.

The Eeveelutions are also rather strong. Jolteon is definitely cheap
(and yes, I use him :P) because he can only really be hurt by a Ground
attack. Flareon is strong and learns some good attacks. Vaporeon is an
awesome creature with a great defense, meaning you'll have to use a
Special attack to take her down. Electric and Grass (weaknesses) fit in
this catergory, but so do Fire, Water, and Ice (resistant).

Now, it's been asked before "Dragonite has stronger stats then them, why
isn't he considered cheap?" Because he's not effective as he could be.
Pokemon can do maximum damage with a matching type attack. Hydro Pump
would be great on Vaporeon, but Blizzard isn't as good as it could be.

As you can see, cheap is defined on a personal level. I'll agree whole-
heartedly that Mewtwo is cheap. The others... Well, Cat Gonk, Jolteon
is cheese, but I ain't giving him up ;)

--
M.W.F. - Pokémon no meijin!

Visit Azure Heights for Pokémon information:
http://www.geocities.com/~korelano
You can read the AGFFH FAQ or the AGNP FAQ.
Also try the PW! FAQ.
What about the AGNPH Archive?
All these are at www.erols.com/resonakorelano

SilvrrSky

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
>Any Pokémon caught at a high level, I consider cheap.

Same here. I wouldn't even think Mewtwo is cheap if it started out at level 3
or something, with moves like Tackle and such. ^_^ That would be amusing to
see, besides..

Silver Sky says:

--Never knock on Death's door; ring the bell and run (he hates that).
--Pray for whirled peas.
--If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

DARRIN HILL

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99

PxSx25h wrote:

> Why do people think that the Legendary Birds and Eevolutions (provided they are
> only using one or traded for the other one legitimately) are cheap? I agree
> Mewtwo is sorta cheap because it is a psychic and its stats are way jacked up.
> But hell, my Jolteon could take out Articuno, Moltres, and maybe Zapdos (does

> the flying aspect make it vulnerable to electric?). Everyone has the

> opportunity to catch them. My team is currently Hypno, Parasect, Golem, and
> Jolteon. I also use Venusaur and Blastoise but I obtained Venusaur for my
> Dragonite so I consider it a fair trade.
> Obtaining Pokemon in a legit fashion does not make them cheap. I see posts
> where if a person uses an Eevolution or Legendary Birds, they are considered
> cheap. It's not cheap since everyone has a chance to catch them. Perhaps
> other people like the challenge of using more regular Pokemon, but that's their
> choice. It's a part of the game, like rushing in RTS games. And say there was
> a tournament to see who would get Mew, wouldn't a L100 Mewtwo be handy?

It's not cheap...unless they use game shark to jack up the stats to
where everything is 999. I rest my case.

Cat-Gonk

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
Well then... "Sailor Pika" <UpY...@Butt.com> wrote:

>Any Pokémon caught at a high level, I consider cheap.

I have to disagree with you there.

>Eeveeloutions (One per team) and the starters (same) aren't really cheap,
>just overused.

The starters have above-average stats, and the best moves available
for their type. Check Pikacard's site, an my forthcomign L51 tests.

Flareon's slow, Vapoureon's defensive, but Jolteon has only one
weakness (Ground) due to his huge rainge of moves, and can slaughter
entire lineups at the opening hit.

Example: Myself VS RL Tick, in a match from a long, long time ago.

L 60 everything.
L 50 everything, and an L40 Jolteon. Jolteon goes first.

Jolteon kills everything before they have a chance to strike.

Tick's body breaks the sound barrier.

I've got a Jolteon now, and save it only for anti-braggart matches
along with my five Mewtwos (with Hyper Beam, Recover, Double Team and
Swift/Psychic all rare candied (Bugger raising my most hated Pokemon)
to oblivion). Fight fire with fire, IMHO.

I'd never use that lineup against a friend though. Not ever.

Cat-Gonk.
Do you believe in Goddish?