holographic wall in an M2 map?

1 view

Mr John Philip Bingham

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96

Basically I'm trying to construct a sniping position where the sniper can see
out but people cannot see in. I'd like shots to pass both ways through it
though. I've read Frigid Mans guide to map making and I've tried just placing
a texture on the transparent section but this then stops shots.
It's late and I've probably missed it in the guide but please help!
John.........
--
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
_|John Bingham (not of this world) _| _|

Quartz

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Did you check the box labled 'Solid' by mistake? If all else delete the
polygons and try again.

--

Quartz

"never argue with a fool, others may
not be able to tell the difference"

Mr John Philip Bingham

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Quartz <qua...@shore.net> writes:

>Mr John Philip Bingham wrote:
>>
>> Basically I'm trying to construct a sniping position where the sniper can see
>> out but people cannot see in. I'd like shots to pass both ways through it
>> though. I've read Frigid Mans guide to map making and I've tried just placing
>> a texture on the transparent section but this then stops shots.
>> It's late and I've probably missed it in the guide but please help!
>> John.........

> Did you check the box labled 'Solid' by mistake? If all else delete the

>polygons and try again.
>--
>Quartz

I really dont think so. This is what's confusing me, I just place a texture on
the transparent window, I dont touch anything else yet it becomes solid and
the solid box isn't checked! I've tried this on other test maps that I've made
but I get the same result. Anyone else noticed this? is it a bug? etc etc

Alamar Sheltem

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

In article <1996Jul22.1...@ucl.ac.uk>, reg...@ucl.ac.uk (Mr John
Philip Bingham) wrote:

*Quartz <qua...@shore.net> writes:
*
*>Mr John Philip Bingham wrote:
*>>
*>> Basically I'm trying to construct a sniping position where the sniper
can see
*>> out but people cannot see in. I'd like shots to pass both ways through it
*>> though. I've read Frigid Mans guide to map making and I've tried just
placing
*>> a texture on the transparent section but this then stops shots.
*>> It's late and I've probably missed it in the guide but please help!
*>> John.........
*
*> Did you check the box labled 'Solid' by mistake? If all else
delete the
*>polygons and try again.
*>--
*>Quartz
*
*I really dont think so. This is what's confusing me, I just place a texture on
*the transparent window, I dont touch anything else yet it becomes solid and
*the solid box isn't checked! I've tried this on other test maps that I've made
*but I get the same result. Anyone else noticed this? is it a bug? etc etc
*John.........
*--

Hmm, try going back one version of pfhorte, it is more likly to work then.
--
Cheaters donšt really win,
and winners donšt really cheat,

DrakkenWulf

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

Philip Bingham) wrote:

> I really dont think so. This is what's confusing me, I just place a texture on

> the transparent window, I dont touch anything else yet it becomes solid and

> the solid box isn't checked! I've tried this on other test maps that I've made

> but I get the same result. Anyone else noticed this? is it a bug? etc etc

> John.........
> --

This isn't a bug, folks...
Basically, putting a texture in the transparent area (_any_ texture) makes
the wall partially solid. I think it randomizes what goes through and
what doesn't. A few shots will pass, some won't. That's how they cheated
so that they didn't have to check the pixel of the texture map that a
bullet went through.

-[ DrakkenWulf ]-

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

IMHO, "Holographic walls" are kind of cheap and not really good map
making. If you want a hidden sniper, how about a narrow gun arpeture high
in the wall with a fast sliding split door the user can open and close at
will? There is also a technique I used on one of my maps to make a hidden
door. It's sort of hard to explain, but there's an inset "window"
(landscape texture wall) that is on a platform. When you stand in front of
the window and press the action key, it instantly, soundlessly blinks open
to reveal a platform where space was before. (this strange opening method
is a bug/feature created by having the max height reversed with the min
height.) You may then step inside and you vanish by closing the door. Then
when a victim shows up on your motion sensor you flick the switch,
trapping them with walls in front of and behind them in the hallway. Then
you open the door, appear literally out of thin air, and start tearing
them up with the fusion pistol conveniently placed in your hidden chamber.

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

BEGIN -- Cut Here -- cut here
begin 644 Crappuccino For My Bunghole
<uuencoded_portion_removed>
END -- Cut Here -- cut here

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

BEGIN -- Cut Here -- cut here

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

nob...@imaginary.location.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

BEGIN -- Cut Here -- cut here
<uuencoded_portion_removed>
J;VQE````````````````````````````````````````````````````
`
end

Rellik A. Mi

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

I have done it before in a Marathon 1 map and have yet to try it in
Marathon 2 maps. Get a set of maps called Magic the Gathering. In
there edit the maps using Pfhorte 1 and look at the inner five walls
of pentagram of the ages. The walls are permiable from both directions
but you can only see through them in one direction.

Borzz

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

In article <nobody-2707...@dip-54.mtry.mbay.net>,
nob...@imaginary.location.com wrote:

Hey Nobody at Monterey Bay,
I for one, can tell you: You've never played "Crapuccino" (with all the
aliens and scenary installed - it's impossible)!
You snuck about 4,000 too many items in your map (with hillarious refresh
rates) "3000 max"? what are you nuts?! And you have the gall to mock
people over inablity to change lighting? (see above thread)
Once I removed ALL scenary, and half the aliens in one room (where there
was at least 100 baddies)...it ran fine....not until then. There are some
very intricate platforms and lighting used, too bad noone will ever see
them until you remove over 150 items.
Your spiral staircase has too many points - thus, reach the bottom, and
crash (freeze).

Nice try, lemme know when you've worked the bugs out....and post it in the
right place next time! (AMUG)

....Borzz