First *TOTALLY* original PWAD on wuarchive

Glen Harris

Mar 9, 1994, 4:01:33 AM3/9/94
It's not mine, Jeff Bird wrote it, though his article appears
to have been eaten by a BOSS daemon. Anyhow.... Get it from
wuarchive.wustl.edu:/pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games/doomstuff/wads/origwad.zip

It's only small, since complicated maps need complicated BSP trees, and
so far no-one knows how to do them except id, and they're not telling.....

So, kill the baddies, and press the switch. Then get back to the BSP
the problem, so we can build a REAL map!

* Glen Harris * 3D and Virtual Reality Groupie *
* Don't mail here * Mail to: gl...@wench.ece.jcu.edu.au *

Alistair Brown

Mar 9, 1994, 3:07:19 PM3/9/94
gl...@paladine.ece.jcu.edu.au (Glen Harris) writes:
> It's not mine, Jeff Bird wrote it, though his article appears
>to have been eaten by a BOSS daemon. Anyhow.... Get it from
>wuarchive.wustl.edu:/pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games/doomstuff/wads/origwad.zip
> It's only small, since complicated maps need complicated BSP trees, and
>so far no-one knows how to do them except id, and they're not telling.....
> So, kill the baddies, and press the switch. Then get back to the BSP
>the problem, so we can build a REAL map!

BSP trees are simple enough to do by hand.. I made a small room that had four
deathmatch start positions, and a platform in the centre that had a cyber demon
on it and various weapons scattered around. MASS carnage :-)
--
Email A.D....@bradford.ac.uk

David M. Simpson

Mar 10, 1994, 10:39:14 PM3/10/94
In article <glen.763203693@paladine>,

Glen Harris <gl...@paladine.ece.jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> It's only small, since complicated maps need complicated BSP trees, and
>so far no-one knows how to do them except id, and they're not telling.....
>
> So, kill the baddies, and press the switch. Then get back to the BSP
>the problem, so we can build a REAL map!

I seriously doubt it is the first since I had a new level created for DOOM
over a month ago, but four walls, several monsters and weapons isn't much
to boast about ans since I did it by hand it only required knowledge of
how the WAD file works.

However, it is still an achievment, I just didn't think it was too interesting
to other people (just the tiny level).

I've been a litlle out of touch with DOOM for the last two weeks or so while
I tried to catch up with all my classes, but now I'm back looking at the
probelm of actually creating segments, ssectors, and nodes, and if really lucky
(and lots of caffine) may have an algorithm that actually vaguely works by
this weekend, but then again maybe I'll try to pass some classes.

David Simpson