DoomED: what is a platform

Mike Dickson

Apr 14, 1994, 7:46:58 PM4/14/94

i just got doomed 250beta and there is no mention in the help file of what
a platform is. does anyone know, or am i just going to get flamed for
asking something that is painfully obvious?

thanks --
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Here Comes GIS...Are You Ready? | Standard Disclaimer Applies |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Tom Neff

Apr 15, 1994, 7:29:19 AM4/15/94
In article <Co9wq...@cunews.carleton.ca>,

Mike Dickson <mdic...@alfred.carleton.ca> wrote:
>i just got doomed 250beta and there is no mention in the help file of what
>a platform is. does anyone know, or am i just going to get flamed for
>asking something that is painfully obvious?

"Platform" is an extended WAD directory entry, invented by DoomEd's
author and supported only by DoomEd, which basically allows you to
supply ASCII descriptive strings for the numeric Tags that are shared
by Sectors and Lines to get special effects (teleport, lift etc) done.

By itself this is not an evil idea, but by (a) putting them in DoomEd
and never explaining why they're there, (b) choosing a name like
"Platform" which sounds like a raised floor and is at variance with the
existing published WAD specs, and (c) writing the descriptions straight
to a nonstandard binary WAD entry where every other utility in
Christendom is going to wipe them out, the author has jinxed the
concept IMHO.

Also, I have never understood why Tags need names, but Sectors, Lines
and Things do not. That's why my WIF interchange spec (WIFSP001.ZIP on
OCF.UNT.EDU and WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU) allows extensive commenting on all
parts of a WAD. A WIF-compliant editor could have names for everything
the user wanted, without mucking up the play-ready WAD itself.
--
Tom Neff tn...@panix.com ...!panix!tneff

Patrick A Friedl

Apr 15, 1994, 2:40:58 PM4/15/94

In article <Co9wq...@cunews.carleton.ca>, mdic...@alfred.carleton.ca (Mike Dickson) writes:

> i just got doomed 250beta and there is no mention in the help file of what
> a platform is. does anyone know, or am i just going to get flamed for

Hi, I just got it too, but when i make a simple change, like
putting in a sargeant on E1M1, and then try to save it, I get some Node
error. What the hell is that and what am I doing wrong??

SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME! my address is to...@ksu.ksu.edu Thanks! Also,
is this one of the better editors??