What are the *best* .WADs?

Neale Type

Jun 13, 1994, 3:21:09 PM6/13/94
Ok,

So I have played the original and now want to try some of the 3rd party
.WADs out there, but there seem to be quite a few...

Has anyone searched through the cruft and can recommend the good ones?

--
Neale Type , Computing Service | JANET: nea...@central.sussex.ac.uk
University of Sussex, Falmer | OTHER: nea...@uk.ac.sussex.central

Bob Tausworthe

Jun 13, 1994, 7:50:11 PM6/13/94
Neale Type (nea...@central.susx.ac.uk) wrote:
: Ok,

: So I have played the original and now want to try some of the 3rd party
: .WADs out there, but there seem to be quite a few...

: Has anyone searched through the cruft and can recommend the good ones?

Well done, though not exremely challenging (i.e. they are ajoy to play):

OPOST21.WAD
FLASH.WAD

My favorites are:

666.WAD
MEGAWATT.WAD
MEGALAB.WAD
SCREAM.WAD
ABYSS.WAD

More challenging, but just as good are:

TEMPLE11.WAD
COURTYARD.WAD

tozz

Sunny Yum

Jun 14, 1994, 1:56:01 PM6/14/94
In article <2tibj5$r...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk>,

Neale Type <nea...@central.susx.ac.uk> wrote:
>Ok,
>
>So I have played the original and now want to try some of the 3rd party
>.WADs out there, but there seem to be quite a few...
>
>Has anyone searched through the cruft and can recommend the good ones?

I've searched through *lots* of cruft and so far here is my list of
wads that I keep around for one reason or another:

11bones.wad* diopatra.wad* ledges2.wad* nuclear2.wad* stones.wad*
666.wad* e1m1sas.wad* ledges3.wad* octagon.wad* supprsn.wad*
777.wad* evil_e.wad* lewis21f.wad* petkillr.wad* talpoida.wad*
claflin.wad* flash.wad* markroom.wad* reactor2.wad* temple11.wad*
core.wad* fortress.wad* megalab.wad* redrum.wad* urbnbeta.wad*
cortyr_b.wad* h_hotel.wad* megawatt.wad* riker11.wad* wedge.wad*
crescent.wad* hellbnd.wad* memphis.wad* runlkhel.wad* whitroom.wad*
crosst.wad* invade1.wad* mntfire.wad* sapidus.wad*
deadbase.wad* k9.wad* neverest.wad* starwar2.wad*

So.. leech away and DOOM on ;)

Sunny D. Yum (sy...@cs.ucr.edu) | Babylon-5! http://www.hyperion.com
Any opinions expressed are mine alone | LinuxLinuxLinuxLinuxLinuxLinuxLinux

Quazi F. Haque

Jun 14, 1994, 3:14:53 PM6/14/94
sy...@corsa.ucr.edu (Sunny Yum) writes:

>11bones.wad* diopatra.wad* ledges2.wad* nuclear2.wad* stones.wad*
>666.wad* e1m1sas.wad* ledges3.wad* octagon.wad* supprsn.wad*
>777.wad* evil_e.wad* lewis21f.wad* petkillr.wad* talpoida.wad*
>claflin.wad* flash.wad* markroom.wad* reactor2.wad* temple11.wad*
>core.wad* fortress.wad* megalab.wad* redrum.wad* urbnbeta.wad*
>cortyr_b.wad* h_hotel.wad* megawatt.wad* riker11.wad* wedge.wad*
>crescent.wad* hellbnd.wad* memphis.wad* runlkhel.wad* whitroom.wad*
>crosst.wad* invade1.wad* mntfire.wad* sapidus.wad*
>deadbase.wad* k9.wad* neverest.wad* starwar2.wad*

>So.. leech away and DOOM on ;)

That's still a pretty darn big list, if you ask me... and being in
alphanumeric order doesn't help when trying to pick the first few to
check out... maybe someone (NOT ME!) should do a survey of what people
consider to be the best wads, and then post the list... any volunteers?

Quazi F Haque
qu...@cornell.edu
"Be just. If you can't be just, be arbitrary."

John R Coffey

Jun 16, 1994, 11:04:28 AM6/16/94
>That's still a pretty darn big list, if you ask me... and being in
>alphanumeric order doesn't help when trying to pick the first few to
>check out... maybe someone (NOT ME!) should do a survey of what people
>consider to be the best wads, and then post the list... any volunteers?

It has been done (by me) .......

Listed below are the number of votes followed by the name
of the wad.......

01 castle.wad
01 classics.wad
01 courtyard.wad
01 crusher.wad
01 daemon2.wad
01 doom.wad
01 dylan1.wad
01 e2l1_gg1.wad
01 forest.wad
01 freedom.wad
01 k9.wad
01 lewis21f.wad
01 markroom.wad
01 megapack.wad
01 neverest.wad
01 octafrag.wad
01 pet.wad
01 runlkhel.wad
01 starwar1.wad
01 temple11.wad
01 the-keep.wad
01 theta-4.wad
01 uca.wad
01 war.wad
02 666.wad
02 abyss.wad
02 bastard1.wad
02 claflin.wad
02 cortyr_b.wad
02 deadbase.wad
02 pyramid.wad
02 stones.wad
02 undersea.wad
03 ambush.wad < Hmmm.... I can't get past the first door.
03 fortress.wad
03 wanton.wad
04 megawatt.wad
04 octagon.wad
04 scream.wad
05 dragon12.wad
05 ledges.wad
05 megalab.wad
08 opost21.wad < And the Winner is!!!!!

My best picks: opost21 starwar1 sweet dragon12 ledges

Chris Baer

Jun 16, 1994, 1:42:47 PM6/16/94
Might I suggest the brand-new trilogy "TREE3" by Greg Lewis? This just
came in at infant2 and, I must say, it's astounding!

I've played over two hundred wads and this became my instant favorite.
Beautifully done!

Todd Munk

Jun 16, 1994, 8:57:05 PM6/16/94
>01 castle.wad The first castle type wad that I know of.
>01 crusher.wad Excellent but aggravating,blood everywhere...
>01 daemon2.wad Try this one with a pistol.
>01 e2l1_gg1.wad Difficult but excellent.
>01 lewis21f.wad An awesome little known wad.
>01 pet.wad Great oldie.
>01 starwar2.wad If only it ran faster...
>03 wanton.wad If only it ran faster....
>04 scream.wad Great first room!!
>05 megalab.wad Great followup to megawatt.
>08 opost21.wad < And the Winner is!!!!! I agree, until tree3.wad

I shortened your list to what I belive is more of the cream of the crop.
Here's my top five:

invade1.wad Runs fast almost throughout, awesome graphics
dragon12.wad Runs fast throughout. Huge,panoramic,awesome
opost21.wad See above.
escape.wad Awesome level. Too bad it runs slow often....
mtfire09.wad Great mood,atmosphere. Difficult.

Tree3.wad would be here but I haven't finished it yet.
What's your top 5???

Todd.

Tom Neff

Jun 16, 1994, 10:09:09 PM6/16/94
Clear some space in the top 5, because I am giving up on this mythical
"user written episode" that's tied up two months of my best WAD's
creative life. I'm going to release BASEMENT.
--
Tom Neff tn...@panix.com ...!panix!tneff

Scott Amspoker

Jun 17, 1994, 8:56:46 PM6/17/94
In article <2tr0k5$d...@panix3.panix.com> tn...@panix.com (Tom Neff) writes:
>Clear some space in the top 5, because I am giving up on this mythical
>"user written episode" that's tied up two months of my best WAD's
>creative life. I'm going to release BASEMENT.

It's about time. ;-)

--
Scott Amspoker |
Basis International | [X] None of the above

Ian CR Mapleson

Jun 18, 1994, 4:11:09 PM6/18/94
In article <2tr0k5$d...@panix3.panix.com> tn...@panix.com (Tom Neff) writes:

Wow. Considering all the stuff Tom knows about PWAD editing, this should be a
PWAD worth getting folks.

Can't wait! Just the thing I need for post-dissertation blues.

Ian.