Druid l18 in dire straights

Jonas Lind

Aug 4, 2001, 9:56:26 PM8/4/01
Hmm...I think I suck at playing druids. I was doing pretty good up until
level 16 or so, and then began to have serious trouble out in the desert of
act 2 (I'm looking for the horadric headpiece level 18 now). I just reached
level 18 and happily got some nice new skills (Heart of winter, rabies and
summon dire wolf), thinking that all my troubles would disappear. Not so!
HoW I find, is not a very good substitute for my oak spirit.. I deal a bit
more damage, but as WereWolf I now have precious few hp (around 240). Also 1
Dire wolf i nowhere near as good as 3 normal wolves, and rabies...well is
this skill usefull _at all_?? I do less damage, and it costs me 10 mana
points! I haven't been able to put the previous skill (fury?) to good use
either, I find myself struggling each time I try it.

Apart from these skills I have around skill level 6 in Lycanthropy and 5 in
WW I think..am I screwing things up?

jonas

Boris

Aug 4, 2001, 10:20:06 PM8/4/01
"Jonas Lind" <jonas...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

First Fissure and then Armageddon got me to Nightmare in two days.
It took me 5 days with my Barbarian and 3 with my Sorceress.
I don't like Shape Shifting and I dislike Summoning even more.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Champion Conan the Barbarian (lvl 54)
Slayer Amphorix the Druid (lvl 34)
Slayer Bimbo the Sorceress (lvl 35)
Barbie the Amazon (lvl 24)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Edward Glamkowski

Aug 5, 2001, 12:49:05 AM8/5/01
Boris wrote:
> "Jonas Lind" <jonas...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >and rabies...well is this skill usefull _at all_?? I do less damage,
> > and it costs me 10 mana points! I haven't been able to put the
> > previous skill (fury?) to good use either, I find myself struggling
> > each time I try it.
>
> First Fissure and then Armageddon got me to Nightmare in two days.
> It took me 5 days with my Barbarian and 3 with my Sorceress.
> I don't like Shape Shifting and I dislike Summoning even more.

I agree that summoning isn't very useful, except make oak sage,
but shape shifting has a lot of potential. But obviously you only
want to do that or elemental only - the two are mutually exclusive
since you can't cast elemental spells when shape shifted.

Rabies is an attack you only want to use against something that will
take more then one or two swipes to kill, since it is time based
(like all poison attacks), so against a unique or a level boss, make
every 4th or 5th attack be a rabies attack to keep the poison flowing.
Otherwise I use fury as my normal attack. Fury completely pwns!
I only have 1 point in it, but then I have tons of points in
werewolf and lycanthropy and I just completely rawk :D

Course, my druid is still in normal difficulty, but I'm in act 4 and
still viable.

Ben

Aug 5, 2001, 3:10:56 AM8/5/01
you arent doing anything wrong, my WW is built the same way. i have 1 point
in rabies and feral rage. one point in all (expect the vines and spirit of
barbs) summoning skills. no elemental. i am in act5 normal, lvl38 happily
doing baal runs. anyway, i suggest more in lycan and werewolf (i have 10 in
each) dont waste too many points in wolves either. i have grizzly at lvl2,
he is awesome.

as i have heard a lot of times, killing things quickly is better than having
more life, so i suggest heart of wolverine. i am maxing out fury at the
moment, doing nice damage.

also, if you are on USWest, i have a druid helm that might help you, just
message *maccas69 and ask for Chris.

Hope this helps

Chris

Ian Bradley

Aug 5, 2001, 4:15:00 AM8/5/01
My Druid is lev67, I exclusively use WW with fury and normally
use H of W, except where a boss is doing high elemental damage
and I need more life then I switch to Oak Sage.
I have a number of points in Grizzly but they still don't last long,
I have also put points in Spirit and Dire Wolf for the bonuses
for bears.
I also keep a life leach vine going all the time, very useful.

I deal out a shitload of damage but I'm in late act3 Hell, and against
some of the Council Bosses I'm struggling, I can't seem to find
enough decent gear to get my resists up.
Get a secondary weapon like a socketed Maul and fill it with as
many good Emeralds as you can get, it will deal high poison damage,
use it with a hit and run tactic with feral rage, don't use fury as it
will hold you in 'Druid Lock' until you've done your 5 swings,
chance is you might be dead by then.

Good luck, it will get easier (and a lot harder)

--
" Grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom

Jonas Lind

Aug 5, 2001, 4:29:53 AM8/5/01

> you arent doing anything wrong, my WW is built the same way. i have 1
point
> in rabies and feral rage. one point in all (expect the vines and spirit
of
> barbs) summoning skills. no elemental. i am in act5 normal, lvl38
happily
> doing baal runs. anyway, i suggest more in lycan and werewolf (i have 10
in
> each) dont waste too many points in wolves either. i have grizzly at
lvl2,
> he is awesome.
>
> as i have heard a lot of times, killing things quickly is better than
having
> more life, so i suggest heart of wolverine. i am maxing out fury at the
> moment, doing nice damage.
>
> also, if you are on USWest, i have a druid helm that might help you, just
> message *maccas69 and ask for Chris.

Thanks for the advice. My connection does unfortunately not allow for
battlenet games :-(

So you use HoW?? what about the spirit that is next? Something about barbs?
doing damage to creatures who damage you or somesuch...is that good??

jonas

Ben

Aug 5, 2001, 4:53:57 AM8/5/01

Jonas Lind <jonas...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

IMO, spirit of barbs isnt worth it. it doesnt do enought % damage back to
the monsters, and your aim for higher difficulties is to not get hit

Chris

Taran'li Maren

Aug 5, 2001, 7:57:46 PM8/5/01
Edward Glamkowski <eglam...@my.bomis.com> wrote in

> I agree that summoning isn't very useful, except make oak sage,
> but shape shifting has a lot of potential. But obviously you only
> want to do that or elemental only - the two are mutually exclusive
> since you can't cast elemental spells when shape shifted.

Well, I have to disagree. I had a straight shapeshifting druid, werewolf,
until I was like level 40 or so. I found a druid helm that gave +3 to
grizzly, and +3 to armageddon. Although the armageddon really does suck,
the grizzly is quite useful. he has (at level 6 now) around 1500 hps,
which is about 700 more than me. He doesn't do much damage, but he can
sure take the hits. Often I stand behind him, and attack from there while
letting him take the damage (But it is hard to use fury from that far
back).

Just my opinion. He can be good support for a WW druid. Especially when
you get to the point where it just doesn't matter if you put any more into
WW.

Taran'li Maren

prime

Aug 5, 2001, 10:34:11 PM8/5/01
I am now at level 70. When I was around your level, I did 5 spirit
wolves, 1 raven, level 1 oak sage, and the rogue merc to get me
through act 2 -- and rather easily I might add. I wouldn't do dire
wolves until you can cast 3. As you said, 1 dire is not as good as
multiple spirit wolves. My main attack was just the regular attack,
except for champions where I charge up with feral rage first. I never
found rabies useful either. Later, your goal for main attack should
be fury -- it's easily the best wolf shapeshift skill with that big
damage bonus and the multiple hits.

Regarding spirits, I am probably the only druid that uses Spirit of
Barbs. (I didn't put points in it; I got a +2 pelt) What I've
noticed is that unlike oak sage, this spirit must have physical resist
or something because it can take a massive pounding, but still manages
to stay alive. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know. It's pretty funny
watching a swarm of Abominables crowd around it and pound on it while
its life meter barely decreases. I use it more as a distraction than
for the damage return; in fact, I'm not sure the damage return even
works -- doesn't seem like it to me.... I got tired of recasting
spirits all the time -- Barbs is the lazyman's spirit. :)