A little utility for tracking .exp files and creating eggs

Vikram Madan

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

Hi fellow breeders,

I'm new to Creatures and to this newsgroup but I thought y'all might be
interested in a little utility I wrote for myself that scans exported
".exp" files and figures out which Norn is descended from which other norn.

In my eagerness to breed different kinds of Norns, I ended up with tons of
exported files on my disk and quickly forgot which exported Norn was
descended from which other exported Norn. So my little utility scans all
the exported .exp files on the disk, extracts the moniker information for
Norns and their parents, and then creates a tree of ancestors (and
descendants) for each Norn. This makes it easy for diversifying the gene
pool and preventing inbreeding among future generations - especially if
you're an absent-minded breeder like me :-).

I also added functionality to let you pick any two exported norns as
parents and create new Hatchery eggs using those norns as parents. This
will be really helpful if you're trying to breed a certain trait and, like
me, sometimes don't have the patience to import your norns and coax them to
breed (yes its less fun this way but its a lot faster)(and you learn to
appreciate speed if you're running Creatures on a 486-33 like me :-) )(Yes
it actually works on a 486-33).

The utility is non-invasive - it does not modify any of the contents of
your Creatures world and world files. All it does is reads .exp files in
your hard drive.

Y'all can download the utility from:

http://www.eskimo.com/~vikram/software/default.htm

Look for the "Norn Ancestral Viewer" (maybe you got a better name :-) ? ).

Version is 1.0 File name is NornHist.Zip and File size is only 78k. Runs on
Win95 only.

If you have your own creatures related web site, feel free to create a
direct link to this file in your Downloads section. It would be better to
just create a link so that if I update the file downloaders will get the
latest version.

I'm tentatively releasing this as shareware - but its not crippleware - its
fully functional. You can use it without restriction as long as your like
but if you find yourself using it all the time, a little contribution would
be appreciated.

There is an attached html FAQ in the zip archive. If that doesnt answer any
questions you may have, feel free to send me an e-mail (though I won't
promise instant responses).

Thanks and Cheers,

Gotta go - my Norns are screaming for attention :-)

- Vikram Madan

vik...@eskimo.com

p.s. while you're at it, you may really enjoy downloading my very popular
FREEWARE program Monster Eyes from the above site. If you love creatures,
you'll probably love Monster Eyes. Once again, its free - so this isnt a
commercial plug :-) so no flames, ok :-)

slink

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

Super! This utility does just what my paper records did, but without
the confusion. Makes me sorry I erased a bunch of EXP files to try to
make my life simpler. :(

Suggestions for future version:

1. Scan for sfc files as well, and pick up norns currently living in
Albias. They have the same file structure inside the sfc, I think.
List filename as which sfc.

2. Print options, or window resize so we can Print Screen.

Thanks again for writing this!

Sandra

Stefan Kuske

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

Great little program. Much better that the NornFamily 1.2.

With the best wishes from breeding Germany, Stefan

Michelle Welcks

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

I love your program! Thanks!

"Vikram Madan" <vik...@eskimo.com> wrote: