Visit to Allegro Winery

Mark Lipton

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00

"Joseph B. Rosenberg" wrote:

> <SNIP>

> The point of this posting, besides bringing your attention to the fine wines
> of Allegro,
> is to mention to you beginners, and others, that anybody can have a bad
> palette day just like a bad hair day. It's happened to me before and the
> only remedy is remembering to eat a relatively bland meal before tasting an
> array to wines or at least have some antacids at the ready. No knock on
> Indian food, I've had then on other occasions and judged wine afterwards, so
> this was an abnormal occurrence.

Yes, I can recall with great anguish a tasting of the newly-released '78 CA
Cabs that I attended way back when. The lineup was fantastic: Caymus, Ch.
Montelena, Mondavi, Clos du Val, etc. All that I got out them that night was
saltiness (!!). Fortunately, I could rely on the impressions of my companions
-- otherwise it would have been an unmitigated disappointment. As for Indian
food, my wife and I share an enthusiasm for spicy Indian food with aged,
powerful Zinfandels -- we find that the Indian food brings the fruit of the Zin
forward. De gustibus...

Mark Lipton

Joseph B. Rosenberg

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
I accompanied a small group yesterday to John & Tim Crouch's Allegro
Vineyards in Brogue Pennsylvania.

Unfortunately, we had good Indian food for lunch and I was experiencing some
discomfort which extended to my palate. Several wines I had tasted before
all had a uniform taste to them, which was more reflux than grape flavors.
So I did not make notes.

However, I did drink the 1997 Cadenza and the 1998 out of barrel, the
Chardonnay Reserves 97 and 98 and the latest Riesling all excellent besides
a very good vidal and Proprietors Red.

I bought along the Unionville Chambourcin which I had tasted the day before
and a Torrette from Les Cretes of Aosta with the same results as the Allegro
wines, the
acid in my mouth masked their fruity flavours.

The point of this posting, besides bringing your attention to the fine wines
of Allegro,
is to mention to you beginners, and others, that anybody can have a bad
palette day just like a bad hair day. It's happened to me before and the
only remedy is remembering to eat a relatively bland meal before tasting an
array to wines or at least have some antacids at the ready. No knock on
Indian food, I've had then on other occasions and judged wine afterwards, so
this was an abnormal occurrence.

I'll probably return later in the summer to retaste and schmooze.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg