Stag's Leap Winery

1 view

Steve Miller

May 20, 2003, 4:22:11 PM5/20/03
Had the Stag's Leap Winery (not Stag's Leap Wine Cellars) Merlot and Petite
Syrah last night. My wife and I loved them both. Can anyone who is
familiar with these two give some recommendations for other wines with the
same or similar characteristics, along the same, or less, price? Here these
are $25-$28.

Thanks.

--
Steve Miller

News

May 20, 2003, 9:48:47 PM5/20/03
Have you tried Bogle Syrah? Can you compare?

RJ

"Steve Miller" <69w...@miller-tech.dot.com> wrote in message

Steve Miller

May 21, 2003, 9:19:01 AM5/21/03
Yes, we have had the Bogle Syrah - for $9 a great Syrah, but no where the
complexity and richness of the Stags Leap, IMHO.

--
Steve Miller
"News" <a...@b.com> wrote in message

Roland Marandino

May 21, 2003, 11:28:48 AM5/21/03

Here are several Merlots that you may enjoy and that cost considerably
less:

2001 Concha y Toro, "Marques de Casa Concha" Merlot, Peumo ($14.00)
2001 Jean Claude Mas, III B Merlot, Vin de Pays D'oc ($19.99)
2001 Falesco, Merlot, Umbria IGT ($16.99)
2000 Caliterra, Arboleda Merlot, Colchagua Valley ($14.99)
2001 Kirralaa, Merlot, South Eastern Australia ($13.99)

Roland Marandino
http://www.tablewine.com
...where people discuss affordable wines

Thom Shafer

May 23, 2003, 9:58:47 PM5/23/03
Hi Steve

The Clos Du Val (Stag's Leap District) Merlot and Zin would be a great
choice in exactly that price range. As well as the standard Syrah from
Stag's Leap Winery.

They are all standards in my cellar.

Thom Shafer
(no relation to the vineyard)

Archon

Jun 3, 2003, 2:17:33 AM6/3/03

When I went to visit them, I totally loved their cabernet sauvignon
Lot2. I still have one bottle in store and am waiting for a special
occasion.

Michael Nielsen
M.Sc.EE

Music: http://mp3.com/archon2
Website: http://www.archonia.dk

milesh

Jun 3, 2003, 2:10:30 PM6/3/03

Archon wrote:

> When I went to visit them, I totally loved their cabernet sauvignon
> Lot2. I still have one bottle in store and am waiting for a special
> occasion.

I really enjoy their Petite Syrah. One of my favorites. To the OP, if you like
Stags Leap Petite then you should also try Concannon Reserve Petite. You might
also like Truchards Syrah, different grape but similar style.

D. Gerasimatos

Jul 1, 2003, 8:15:55 PM7/1/03
In article <3EDCE39C...@interfaceforce.com>,

milesh <mil...@interfaceforce.com> wrote:

>I really enjoy their Petite Syrah. One of my favorites. To the OP, if you
>like Stags Leap Petite then you should also try Concannon Reserve Petite. You
>might also like Truchards Syrah, different grape but similar style.

If you like the Petite Syrah then you should buy all you can get. The
grapes have been torn out because of phylloxera. I think the current
vintage is the last.

Dimitri

Steve Miller

Jul 2, 2003, 8:50:02 AM7/2/03
I know - I have been trying to figure out a way to have some shipped to me,
but alas, they will not ship to Louisiana and I have no other means to
procure more - they will not even sell any to my local merchants. Only way
to buy is at the winery itself.

--
Steve Miller
"D. Gerasimatos" <d...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

D. Gerasimatos

Jul 2, 2003, 2:47:50 PM7/2/03
In article <OkAMa.3560$Sy1...@fe02.atl2.webusenet.com>,

Steve Miller <69w...@miller-tech.dot.com> wrote:

>I know - I have been trying to figure out a way to have some shipped to me,
>but alas, they will not ship to Louisiana and I have no other means to
>procure more - they will not even sell any to my local merchants. Only way
>to buy is at the winery itself.

Too bad. It is very easy to find in even the grocery stores here. I
mentioned that at the winery and the pourer was surprised to hear that
given how small the production is, but it is true.

Dimitri

Steve Miller

Jul 3, 2003, 8:48:08 AM7/3/03
Looks like I am getting my posts mixed up - this thread was originally about
the Stag's Leap Winery - the one with the white label which is available
locally here for $25-$30. The Stag's Leap Wine Cellars, the beige label, is
the one I am trying to get.

--
Steve Miller
"D. Gerasimatos" <d...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

D. Gerasimatos

Jul 3, 2003, 11:55:46 AM7/3/03
In article <IrVMa.44096$hf.3...@fe05.atl2.webusenet.com>,

Steve Miller <69w...@miller-tech.dot.com> wrote:

>Looks like I am getting my posts mixed up - this thread was originally about
>the Stag's Leap Winery - the one with the white label which is available
>locally here for $25-$30. The Stag's Leap Wine Cellars, the beige label, is
>the one I am trying to get.

I don't think there is any confusion. Stag's Leap is the beige label and
Stags' Leap is the white label. I am referring to Stag's Leap Petite Syrah
from the Warren Winiarski winery that also makes Cask 23. Are we on the
same page?

Dimitri

Steve Miller

Jul 3, 2003, 12:22:12 PM7/3/03
That's them - great stuff - I love it. But unfortunately only have 3
bottles left now.

Oh well - so it goes.

--
Steve Miller
"D. Gerasimatos" <d...@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

Liquorama Fine Wines & Spirits

Jul 3, 2003, 7:46:55 PM7/3/03
Steve,

How can I put this.....why not try www.liquorama.net

--
Thank you,
Dave

"Steve Miller" <69w...@miller-tech.dot.com> wrote in message

D. Gerasimatos

Jul 3, 2003, 8:55:59 PM7/3/03
In article <Pf3Na.11998$C43....@nwrddc04.gnilink.net>,

Liquorama Fine Wines & Spirits <Newsl...@liquorama.net> wrote:

>How can I put this.....why not try www.liquorama.net

Because they spam Usenet.

Dimitri

Thom Shafer

Jul 9, 2003, 11:07:07 PM7/9/03
There does seem to be some confusion here. Stag's Leap Wine Cellar is the
producer of Cask 23 and does not make a petite syrah. Stag's Leap Winery is
the producer of the Pet. They are two completely separate entities with the
only thing in common is a close name and the Stag's Leap District home.

Thom Shafer
(Stag's Leap District Wine Is My Preference)

D. Gerasimatos

Jul 10, 2003, 5:09:11 PM7/10/03
In article <GL4Pa.64$N%3.44@lakeread01>,

Thom Shafer <product...@cox.net> wrote:

>There does seem to be some confusion here. Stag's Leap Wine Cellar is the
>producer of Cask 23 and does not make a petite syrah.

Yes, they *do* make a petite syrah. Or, rather, they did. The vines
have been pulled. They sourced them from another vineyard and they have
not located another source to their liking. I know this because I was at
Stag's Leap in February and tasted the petite syrah myself! Stags' Leap
also makes a petite syrah.

This web site lists American petite syrah (sirah) producers:

http://www.foppiano.com/petite/spr2000.html

Note both Stag's Leap and Stags' Leap are on the list.

Dimitri