Banana nut bread

H PEAGRAM

Mar 27, 2001, 10:38:12 AM3/27/01
Lots of the questions asked here are easily answered with Copernic. I love
it. It is the best search programme.

--
The Limey in the beautiful suburbs of Stoney Creek, Ontario

theli...@home.com
"Gmajut" <gma...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I keep having bananas turn brown and save them in the freezer until I can
bake
> some bread. Anyone with an expecially good receipe???

Shane

Jun 9, 2001, 3:12:04 PM6/9/01
test
"H PEAGRAM" <theli...@home.com> wrote in message

Margaret Suran

Jun 9, 2001, 3:31:34 PM6/9/01
The Limey in the beautiful suburbs of Stoney Creek, Ontario

> theli...@home.com
> "Gmajut" <gma...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I keep having bananas turn brown and save them in the freezer until I
can
> bake
> > some bread. Anyone with an expecially good receipe???

BUTTERMILK BANANA BREAD

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar (or less, by taste)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract (do NOT use artificial flavor)
½ teaspoon Orange extract " "
½ teaspoon Banana extract " "
grated orange rind from one orange
4 or 5 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk , you may use sweet milk with a few drops of lemon
juice to curdle it
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup chocolate chips (optional

Combine flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, extracts and orange
peel. Mix well, about a minute with electric beater, two to three
minutes if beaten with wooden spoon.
Stir in bananas and buttermilk
Add flour mixture and mix just until well combined.
Add the nuts, raisins and chocolate chips.

Fill two prepared. greased 6" x 3" x 2" loaf pans. They will be a
little more than half full.
Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for about one hour. Test for doneness
with wooden toothpick or by touch. When done, the toothpick, when
inserted in the middle of the loaf should come out dry and the bread,
when lightly pressed, should spring back.

latitude11

Jun 9, 2001, 8:52:25 PM6/9/01
<snip>
Hi Hi.. I just made a loaf of banana bread last night.. I make some
every few weeks... here is my favorite recipe. I add about a half of
cup of walnuts crushed with a rolling pin. It always turns out yummy!
(truth be known, I sent my sweetie a loaf of this banana bread where
he was living out in Rhode Island. He fell in love with me and the
banana bread and moved out two months later) :D

SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD

Recipe By : Simply from Scratch
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread, Biscuits & Muffins

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (2 medium)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour bottom only of a 9 X
5" loaf
pan. In large bowl, beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs, bananas,
sour
cream and vanilla; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring
cup; level
off. Add flour, baking soda and salt; stir just until dry ingredients
are
moistened. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake at 350F degrees for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in
center
comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.
Wrap
tightly and store in refrigerator. Makes 1 loaf.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Scott

Jun 9, 2001, 9:01:25 PM6/9/01
In article <3B227996...@rcn.com>, Margaret Suran <msu...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> ½ teaspoon salt
> 1 stick unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
> 1 cup granulated sugar (or less, by taste)
> 2 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract (do NOT use artificial flavor)
> ½ teaspoon Orange extract " "
> ½ teaspoon Banana extract " "
> grated orange rind from one orange
> 4 or 5 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
> 1/4 cup buttermilk , you may use sweet milk with a few drops of lemon
> juice to curdle it
> 1 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 cup raisins
> 1 cup chocolate chips (optional

Could you repost this without the formatted text? A lot of the
ingredients appear as gibberish.

Margaret Suran

Jun 10, 2001, 9:34:53 AM6/10/01
Dear Scott Heimdall, I am sorry if you could not read the recipe. It
was posted, as always, in plain text and I do not know what happened (I
have not much knowledge of how computers work). When you posted your
message, this is the way it appeared, just the way I sent it, no
gibberish, nothing unusual, every word in plain English. Please, let me
know whether this was legible or not. If not, I will find out how to
send it so that you can read the recipe. Or, perhaps a kind soul who
sees this will take pity on me and do it for me. Again, sorry for the
inconvenience, Margaret

Scott

Jun 10, 2001, 5:05:10 PM6/10/01
In article <3B23777D...@rcn.com>, Margaret Suran <msu...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> Dear Scott Heimdall, I am sorry if you could not read the recipe. It

> was posted, as always, in plain text and I do not know what happened (I
> have not much knowledge of how computers work). When you posted your
> message, this is the way it appeared, just the way I sent it, no
> gibberish, nothing unusual, every word in plain English. Please, let me
> know whether this was legible or not. If not, I will find out how to
> send it so that you can read the recipe. Or, perhaps a kind soul who
> sees this will take pity on me and do it for me. Again, sorry for the
> inconvenience, Margaret

Nope, didn't work.
This is interesting--someone else commented that something I had posted
(in rec.food.baking) also had unreadable text, even though I'd posted it
from a plain text source using a text-based news client. From this end,
a bunch of the numbers in your post were replaced with "pi" symbols,
e.g., what would be a number before "teaspoon Orange extract" and
"teaspoon Banana extract." Were those fractions?
My thoughts are either
1) the original source had a formatted fraction--i.e., a single
character for a fraction rather than three (number, slash, number), that
was displayable in your client. You're using Netscape 4.76, right? (it
says Mozilla in your headers). That might well send formatted text
without it being obvious.
or
2) somehow, certain characters are getting corrupted during propagation.

BTW, it's just Scott. Heimdall is simply part of an email address. I.e.,
I assume that your name is not Margaret Suran Msuran.

-- Scott R.

pier...@bdeb.qc.ca

Jun 10, 2001, 8:40:31 PM6/10/01
Using Netscape for OS/2 here, and all those pi lettrers are a single character
1/2 (one half) fraction, like this "½" I made with my 863 page code.

Scott

Jun 10, 2001, 9:10:21 PM6/10/01
In article <3sUU6.2617$GS5.3...@weber.videotron.net>,
pier...@bdeb.qc.ca wrote:

> Using Netscape for OS/2 here, and all those pi lettrers are a single character
> 1/2 (one half) fraction, like this "½" I made with my 863 page code.

ah, thought as much. Are they all 1/2's?

Shawn Turner

Jun 11, 2001, 5:18:39 PM6/11/01

>> send it so that you can read the recipe. Or, perhaps a kind soul who
>> sees this will take pity on me and do it for me. Again, sorry for the
>> inconvenience, Margaret

Margaret, You are fine, your post is in plaintext, you are posting correctly,
message reads fine in Arial font.

>Nope, didn't work.
>This is interesting--someone else commented that something I had posted
>(in rec.food.baking) also had unreadable text, even though I'd posted it
>from a plain text source using a text-based news client. From this end,
>a bunch of the numbers in your post were replaced with "pi" symbols,

Scott, my best guess is that you are using a font that does not produce
the same characters as the more expected ones. No reason except
custom for say, 0101001 to show the same character in all fonts, and
many fonts introduce special characters that only show correctly in
_that_ font. To see what I mean try reading with the font "Wingdings"
or "Webdings" if Newswatcher will permit and if they are even available
on a Mac.
Try, oh, Arial, or Lucida sans typewriter or times new roman... for viewing.

Shawn "RFP" Turner
Spamblock: Addie is not a barnyard

Scott

Jun 11, 2001, 11:04:18 PM6/11/01
In article <9g3kr...@enews2.newsguy.com>,
"Shawn Turner" <STurneratN...@MooMeowemail.msn.com> wrote:

> Scott, my best guess is that you are using a font that does not produce
> the same characters as the more expected ones. No reason except
> custom for say, 0101001 to show the same character in all fonts, and
> many fonts introduce special characters that only show correctly in
> _that_ font. To see what I mean try reading with the font "Wingdings"
> or "Webdings" if Newswatcher will permit and if they are even available
> on a Mac.
> Try, oh, Arial, or Lucida sans typewriter or times new roman... for viewing.

Varying the display font did change anything, and I ran through a few
that have COMPLETE character sets (including Arial). As Pierre noted,

"all those pi lettrers are a single character 1/2 (one half) fraction,
like this "½" I made with my 863 page code."

Such characters should not be used in Usenet.

Serene

Jun 30, 2001, 8:25:03 PM6/30/01
> like this "*" I made with my 863 page code."

> Such characters should not be used in Usenet.

Didn't help for me either.