Relative heat of chilis?

krusty kritter

Mar 16, 2005, 12:33:18 PM3/16/05
Can anybody tell me offhand, what the "heat" ranking of various chil
peppers is? I'm trying to get a notion of what's the mildest and what's
the hottest, after finding a serrano chili in the bottom of a jar of
nopales and wondering if it was safe to eat it or if it would set my
tongue on fire. Turned out it was very mild. Maybe it's the mildest
chili in the lot?

Old Magic1

Mar 16, 2005, 2:38:48 PM3/16/05

"krusty kritter" <kayb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Scoville units Names
============== =====
0 Bell, Sweet Italian

100 - 500 Peperoncini, Cherry

500 - 1000 New Mexico

1000 - 1500 Pasilla, Poblano, Ancho

1500 - 2500 Rocotillo

2500 - 5000 Jalapeno, Chipotle, Guajillo

5000 - 10000 Wax

10000 - 23000 Serrano

15000 - 30000 Arbol

30000 - 50000 Cayenne, Piquin

50000 - 100000 Thai

100000 - 300000 Habanero (aka Scotch Bonnet)

350000 - 577000 Red Savina Habanero

In 1994, the Red Savina Habanero set a world record for heat at 577,000
Scoville units.

15,000,000 - 16,000,000 Pure Capsaicin

--
Old Magic 1

Jim Lane

Mar 16, 2005, 2:57:47 PM3/16/05
Old Magic1 wrote:

It is also important to note that the Scoville system is subjective, but
in testing of the chilis Scoville was way close to what the science found.

I read a year or so ago, another chili was discovered in Southeast Asia
that goes above the Hab.

jim

krusty kritter

Mar 16, 2005, 9:12:21 PM3/16/05

Old Magic1 wrote:

> Scoville units Names

> 0 Bell, Sweet Italian (snip)

Thanks, guys. I never heard of Scoville units, but it gives me
some place to start googling for even more info about the various
chilis available locally...