Got Zucchini?

percy

Jul 13, 2006, 10:14:15 PM7/13/06
Another one from rec.food.recipes. A good use when the squashes get to
be ginormous. Posted by Oh Deer.

Mushroom Cheese Stuffed Zucchini

Yield: 2 to 4 servings

1 (7 to 8 inches) zucchini (3 to 5 inches in diameter)
1 Tablespoon oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, mashed
3 cups chopped mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
1 egg, beaten
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and steam above water for 10 to 12 minutes
or until tender. Cool slightly and scoop out pithy interior and discard
(or add to compost), leaving a shell about 1/3 inch thick. Salt lightly
and invert to drain.
Saute onion in oil until tender and add garlic and mushrooms. When
mushrooms have cooked slightly, add seasonings and cabbage and cook until
cabbage softens.
In a bowl, mix egg with cheese and stir in sauteed mixture. Set zucchini
halves in a shallow pan and fill shells with the mixture. Pour a little
water around zucchini (1/3 cup) and cover with foil.
Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes, then uncover and bake until filling is
set (about 8 to 10 minutes.)

Priscilla H. Ballou

Jul 14, 2006, 5:57:51 PM7/14/06
In article <44b6fdf7$2...@x-privat.org>, percy <vbeau...@nowhere.bum>
wrote:

> Another one from rec.food.recipes. A good use when the squashes get to
> be ginormous. Posted by Oh Deer.
>
> Mushroom Cheese Stuffed Zucchini

YUM!

So far I don't have zucchini of any length, but when they come on and
one gets away from me, I'll be prepared! <add incantation to drive away
the evil woodchuck>

I once for a party took a WAY oversized zucchini (probably 16 inches
long) and carved it out to serve as a boat for serving a squash salad
with vinaigrette. Very nice presentation, and good salad. Heck, if you
can't eat it, eat out of it!

Priscilla, urban gardener

percy

Jul 14, 2006, 7:48:37 PM7/14/06

My dad used to say a zucchini wasn't good eating until it was at least a
foot long. He wasn't into baby vegetables.
I can remember the beets getting big enough that one would feed the
three of us with leftovers to put in vinegar for the next day!

Oversized zucchini sells at the farmer's market for a quarter a piece.
The little ones sell for a $1.50 a pint basket (about 7).

Got a recipe for that squash salad? It sounds good.

Vicki

Jan

Jul 14, 2006, 8:22:41 PM7/14/06
In article <44b6fdf7$2...@x-privat.org>, vbeau...@nowhere.bum says...
Sounds nummy - will have to try it.
--

Cheers!

Jan

Priscilla Ballou

Jul 15, 2006, 1:17:51 PM7/15/06
In article <44b82d55$1...@x-privat.org>, percy <vbeau...@nowhere.bum>
wrote:

> Got a recipe for that squash salad? It sounds good.

This was about 10 years ago, so I don't remember it in detail, but if I
were to do it today I'd combine thinly sliced green and yellow squashes
(zucchini -- which are available in an amazing array of shapes and
colors at my farmers' market -- and crooknecks), thinly sliced onion
(maybe a sweet onion?), mashed garlic, fresh oregano and thyme, and
slivered colored peppers and toss them in an olive oil vinaigrette.
Salt and pepper to taste. I'd use regular wine vinegar because balsamic
gives me migraines, but, if I could use balsamic, I would. I'd let it
sit in the vinaigrette a bit to let the flavors comingle and then toss
it again before serving.

Come to think of it, I'm doing a cold supper for my niece's birthday in
a month, and this would go well then.

Priscilla

Mr Libido Incognito

Jul 15, 2006, 2:02:21 PM7/15/06
Priscilla Ballou wrote on 15 Jul 2006 in alt.food.diabetic

I like to grill zuckes brushed with cheapie store bought italian salad
dressing. I cut them into thinish planks and just chuck them on the grill
and brush on the dressing every time I turn them.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

W. Baker

Jul 15, 2006, 6:11:23 PM7/15/06
Mr Libido Incognito <N...@vaild.null> wrote:

: I like to grill zuckes brushed with cheapie store bought italian salad

: dressing. I cut them into thinish planks and just chuck them on the grill
: and brush on the dressing every time I turn them.

: Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

: -Alan

I grillmine with soem pepper, garlic powder adn spray olive oil and when
they are done, put a few drops fo balsamic vinegar on them. Priscilla,
you coul duse plain wine vinegar, i wouldn't want you to get a headache
form this dish:-)

Wendy

Priscilla Ballou

Jul 15, 2006, 6:32:56 PM7/15/06
In article <e9bp6b$gi3$3...@reader2.panix.com>,
"W. Baker" <wba...@panix.com> wrote:

Oh, I'm well accustomed to subbing in wine vinegar. I have quite a
selection of vinegars: sherry, champagne, red wine, white wine, rice,
malt, white, cider.... ;-)

Priscilla