True ghost site

1 view

SmartguyQQ

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I just finished the Portland Ghost site. This is an absolutely true diary I
received from the brother of a man who disappeared last year in Portland
Oregon. I just finished posting the final diary entries. I am so glad I
finished it. It was really intense having to read and edit the pages. Don't
read all the entries at one sitting it might freak you out.

http://209.162.216.149/ghost

.

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

Yeah, I got all freaked out that someone would actually think this lame piece
of shit was real. Get a life loser.

In article <20000130192803...@ng-fi1.aol.com>, smart...@aol.com

dino

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Wasting the Internet hundreds, if not *thousands* of
dollars, smart...@aol.com (SmartguyQQ) breaks
AFU's environmental laws with the following pollution:

>I just finished the Portland Ghost site. This is an absolutely true diary I
>received from the brother of a man who disappeared last year in Portland

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [...]

That's the absolute worst rendering of "friend of a friend" that
I have ever seen in my entire life.

A so-called "smart guy" should be able to do better than that.

dino

Dr H

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

On 31 Jan 2000, SmartguyQQ wrote:

}I just finished the Portland Ghost site. This is an absolutely true diary I
}received from the brother of a man who disappeared last year in Portland

}Oregon. I just finished posting the final diary entries. I am so glad I
}finished it. It was really intense having to read and edit the pages. Don't
}read all the entries at one sitting it might freak you out.

That could be me. I disappeared in Portland once, and haven't been
heard from since.

Dr H

Paul Sweeney

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
SmartguyQQ wrote
> I just finished the Portland Ghost site. This is an absolutely true diary I
> received from the brother of a man who disappeared last year in Portland
> Oregon. I just finished posting the final diary entries. I am so glad I
> finished it. It was really intense having to read and edit the pages. Don't
> read all the entries at one sitting it might freak you out.
>
> http://209.162.216.149/ghost

Ooooh! Fuzzy gosh, what a frightening story. Poor spleding, insanely formatted
web pages all sadly stuck together with a jism filled pastiche of untruths.
Thanks for the sage warning about not reading it all at once, but I think 'at
all'
would have been sounder more succinct advice, as the noxious ridiculously hard
to read red
font will undoubtedly haunt me for the rest of my days.

Well done, you have succeeded in truly frightening me, in much the same manner
as the depleting of the ozone layer, extinction of species and destruction of
the rain forest does. Brrrrr.......

I also notice your linkage to a site with the statement

"You will not only find the scariest stories, but you can also place your own
scary stories here to frighten the wits out of the internet."

Judging by your story it appears already worked its magic all too efficiently
and appears to explain the presence of so many dimwit dullard dunces online.

Paul "now that explains the inordinate number of shitwits, we get to many scary
tales" Sweeney.

llyw...@spamagora.rdrop.com

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <Znzl4.55068$zU5.7...@wbnws01.ne.mediaone.net>, "Paul says...

>SmartguyQQ wrote
>> I just finished the Portland Ghost site. This is an absolutely true diary I
>> received from the brother of a man who disappeared last year in Portland
>> Oregon. I just finished posting the final diary entries. I am so glad I
>> finished it. It was really intense having to read and edit the pages. Don't
>> read all the entries at one sitting it might freak you out.
>>
>> http://209.162.216.149/ghost
>
>Ooooh! Fuzzy gosh, what a frightening story. Poor spleding, insanely formatted
>web pages all sadly stuck together with a jism filled pastiche of untruths.

Actually, this guy's story does touch upon a bit of Portland trivia, which
almost falls into the purview of a.f.u: the tunnels that threaded under downtown
Portland in the decades before & after 1900.

There is a brief description of them at
http://members.tripod.com/cgs-mthood/shanghai_tunnels.htm, although this account
has several errors -- Erickson's Saloon was not a dive, but noteable for being
one of the few honest bars in Portland at the time; the shanghaiers frequented
the waterfronts, not the residential neighborhoods the site lists.

However, the story of ``Bunco" Kelley & the Wooden Indian is true, AFAIK.

Features about these tunnels appear from time to time in _The_Oregonian_ of
Portland, OR, but knowledge about them by locals tends to be more along the
lines of ``I heard from a FOAF who heard that . . ." The facts, from what I
recall from reading about them are as follows:

* these tunnels were dug to aid in moving cargo to stores & warehouses near the
waterfront, & the more sinister use of them for shanghaiing came afterwards;

* with only a couple of execptions, these tunnels ran only as far as a block or
two from the river -- until around the First World War, the commercial core of
downtown Portland barely reached four blocks away from the river;

* when the Seawall along the Willamette was built in the 1920's these tunnels
passed out of use, gradually being filled in, walled shut or both;

* efforts have been made to recover what can be recovered of these tunnels out
of a sense of history & preservation, but in most -- if not all -- cases all
that exists are the sealed entrances. In other words, nothing as entertaining as
Underground Seattle to the north of us.

Geoff

drickel

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article
<Pine.GSU.4.05.100013...@garcia.efn.org>, Dr H
<hiaw...@efn.org> wrote:

>On 31 Jan 2000, SmartguyQQ wrote:
>
>}I just finished the Portland Ghost site. This is an absolutely
true diary I
>}received from the brother of a man who disappeared last year in
Portland
>}Oregon. I just finished posting the final diary entries. I am
so glad I
>}finished it. It was really intense having to read and edit the
pages. Don't
>}read all the entries at one sitting it might freak you out.
>
> That could be me. I disappeared in Portland once, and haven't
been
> heard from since.
>
>Dr H

Portland, Maine, or Portland, Oregon? It might make a
difference.

david rickel

Maggie Newman

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Dr H <hiaw...@efn.org> wrote:

> That could be me. I disappeared in Portland once, and haven't been
> heard from since.

If only.

Geoff Burling

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
In article <034d330a...@usw-ex0103-086.remarq.com>, drickel says...

>In article <877man$2q...@drn.newsguy.com>,
>llyw...@SPAMagora.rdrop.com wrote:
>..

>>Actually, this guy's story does touch upon a bit of Portland
>trivia, which
>>almost falls into the purview of a.f.u: the tunnels that
>threaded under downtown
>>Portland in the decades before & after 1900.
>..
>Hmm, I wonder how prevalent the underground tunnel UL is. Quite
>a while back our grade school class was supposed to go out and
>interview old people about our town's history. The person we
>were interviewing said that at one time Walla Walla WA had a
>substantial Chinese population (working on the railroad, i
>think), and that they had at one time had tunnels connecting
>several of the downtown buildings. Tunnel system unfortunately
>destroyed by a fire.

Your informant may be quoting true, although oral, history.

I recall reading an article in _The_Oregonian_ some years ago that was
describing a similar underground Chinatown in an Eastern Oregon town -- John
Day. Apparently the locals enforced a ``sundown law" on the local Chinese, who
managed to evade it -- & the unspoken penalties -- by living in the basements &
tunnels under the town. As almost all rural-dwelling Chinese were men, this
population became extinct as they grew old & died.

John Day has a museum that was created from a Chinese apothecary who ran his
business well into the 1940's. If I remember the story correctly, either he --
or his son -- one day locked the doors to the store, & walked away form the
business, which remained untouched until about ten years ago. There is a brief
mention of this museum at http://www.ohwy.com/or/k/kamwahch.htm -- which I quote
more to prove I am not repeating a UL than to offer further information.

(FWIW, _The_Oregonian_ runs a couple of articles in their Sunday edition
discussing various pieces of Pacific Northwest history, usually retold from a
safe & uncontroversial perspective. So far they have yet to discuss the source
for the name of the cross-roads settlement to the SW of Lake Oswego known as
Wankers Corners.)

Geoff ``the tavern there used to be poorly lit for some reason" Burling

dino

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
llyw...@SPAMagora.rdrop.com (Geoff Burling) wrote:
>drickel says...

> [ stuff about dino's "born and raised" home, the Beaver State ]

> ... So far they have yet to discuss the source

>for the name of the cross-roads settlement to the SW of Lake Oswego known as
>Wankers Corners.)

This was a hot topic of discussion back when Peter Van Der Linden
(however he spelled that) was an active part of this newsgroup.

I dug in my own archives, and for all those interested, below is my
original Wanker's Corner post (had to change spacing), nearly
five years ago.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

From boulder!dino Sun May 14 15:05:52 MDT 1995
Article: 207461 of alt.folklore.urban
From: di...@euclid.colorado.edu (dino)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
Subject: Wanker's Corner, Oregon
Date: 14 May 1995 21:05:06 GMT

A long time ago, back in March sometime, lin...@positive.eng.sun.com
(Peter van der Linden) spake thusly:

<snip!>

>No, but we know all about Wanker's Corner -- a small crossroads about 45 mins
>on the other side of Portland. There's a tavern there, and there's a story
>about how it got its name, but no one knows what the story is.
>
>These are the great unsolved questions of AFU -- certain OldHatdom for
>anyone who can untangle the tale of any of them:

<snip!>

> 2. How "Wanker's Corner" Oregon got its name

<snip!>

---

Well, Peter and the rest, I called Wanker's Country Store, and
talked with one Lois Wanker (that's pronounced "Wonker,"
how she answered the phone), and got some info. I wrote
them a long time ago, both the Wanker's Country Store and
Wanker's Corner Saloon and Cafe, but never got a response, so I
finally called. She was quite pleasant and friendly on the phone.

Here is what I just learned on the phone: Lois Wanker's grandfather
settled there (West Linn, Oregon area, just south of Portland) in
1895. The tavern was founded by Lois's dad in 1931. I gathered
that it burned down in something like 1969 but they built a new one
(I was scribbling fast and may have missed a few details). They
own the store and lease the saloon (see below). I also gather
that there is info about this in the Lake Oswego Library, for
any friends out in the Beaver State who want to check this out,
and in some Oregon Historical Society thing in Oregon City. I
should comment, my earlier researches in Oregon place name
books and Oregon history books revealed nothing.

In short, it was named for a person named Wanker who settled
there, presupposing that she wasn't lying to me.

Funny thing is, I then called the saloon, and got a slightly different
story... They (or at least the person with whom I talked) pronounce it
"Wanker," "a" as in "at." They claimed no real relation to the store,
and I had the feeling that the guy was putting me on. Lois Wanker
(yeah, if that *is* her real name) at least sounded believable on the
phone and I am more inclined to believe her. I should point out, the
store and the saloon are right next to each other.

Notably, I am *not* here posting the addresses and phone numbers
of the tavern and the store to all of AFU. They have been e-mailed
to PvdL if he wishes for verification. These people (at least at
the store) are fairly polite and don't want a thousand annoying
phone calls from AFU-ers asking about the origin of their name. If
any of the other "Old Hats" - and I know who you are - want to
know how to get ahold of these people for verification, I will
tell you. I told Peter so as to verify it if he wishes, as he did
the original post to which I am responding.

dino "raised in in estacada, oregon, within miles of wanker's corner,
and never heard of it when i was a kid" m.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

End of archived post.

And I never got that hat. Sheesh, skinflints.

dino < di...@uswest.net >

Geoff Burling

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
In article <389a040f...@news.uswest.net>, dino_th...@uswest.net
says...

>llyw...@SPAMagora.rdrop.com (Geoff Burling) wrote:
>>drickel says...
>
>> [ stuff about dino's "born and raised" home, the Beaver State ]
>
>> ... So far they have yet to discuss the source
>>for the name of the cross-roads settlement to the SW of Lake Oswego known as
>>Wankers Corners.)
>
>This was a hot topic of discussion back when Peter Van Der Linden
>(however he spelled that) was an active part of this newsgroup.
>
>I dug in my own archives, and for all those interested, below is my
>original Wanker's Corner post (had to change spacing), nearly
>five years ago.

[much information shared snipped, but I am grateful for]

Let me add a couple of details to dino's otherwise definitive account:

1) Many local roads & landmarks -- at least on that side of Portland -- are
named after local families, some of whom still live within walking distance of
said location, & many within an hour's drive. Said families settled here as late
as the 1930's, after when new names tended to be coined exclusively by people
who plotted real estate developments. I could provide numerous examples if
anyone is interested, including some from my own family. In short, the reason
for this name is entirely credible, & has nothing to do with the slang term of
abuse for persons whose preferred form of expression is self-abuse.

2) The reason for the two pronounciations is that the folks who ran the Saloon
-- at least at first -- tended to play up the sexual entendre in the name. I
used to have a t shirt from this tavern, which displayed a kangaroo eating
peanuts from her pouch, with the motto, ``grab your nuts at Wanker's Corner."
The friend who gave this shirt to me said that the tavern was very popular with
Australian tourists, & a sample of this shirt may still exist there.

3) A few years ago, development came to this part of Clackamas county, & the
Saloon was forced to make room for some new condominiums. This establishment now
exists in Wilsonville, a suburb of Portland about half an hour's drive south on
I-5. The tavern obviously wants attention because they have a web page at
http://www.wankerscorner.com, with a map to their establishment.

Geoff ``still talking long after the thread has ended" Burling

Alan Follett

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
davidN...@globes.com.invalid (drickel) wrote:

>llyw...@SPAMagora.rdrop.com wrote:

>> Actually, this guy's story does touch upon
>> a bit of Portland trivia, which almost falls
>> into the purview of a.f.u: the tunnels that
>> threaded under downtown Portland in the
>> decades before & after 1900...

> Hmm, I wonder how prevalent the
> underground tunnel UL is. Quite a while
> back our grade school class was supposed
> to go out and interview old people about our
> town's history. The person we were
> interviewing said that at one time Walla
> Walla WA had a substantial Chinese
> population (working on the railroad, i
> think), and that they had at one time
> had tunnels connecting several of the
> downtown buildings. Tunnel system
> unfortunately destroyed by a fire.

> Maybe some crossover from the Portland
> tunnel legend (Walla Walla isn't that far
> away, i suppose).

I would suspect that some sort of "sinister underground tunnel" legend
existed in many places, often attributed to Rascally Furriner
communities. For the version attached to San Francisco's Chinatown,
see:

http://www.sfgate.com/offbeat/city.html

To add to this, a program produced by a San Francisco local television
station (KQED?) a few years ago claimed that in the days before the 1906
earthquake^W fire subterranean
opium dens, carefully staged for the rubes, were a regular stop on city
tours.

Alan "always found the Seventh Avenue Subway quite exotic enough, thank
y' kindly" Follett

Len Berlind

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
>> ... So far they have yet to discuss the source
>>for the name of the cross-roads settlement to the SW of Lake Oswego known as
>>Wankers Corners.)
>
>This was a hot topic of discussion back when Peter Van Der Linden
>(however he spelled that) was an active part of this newsgroup.

Yah, well, as is often the case 'round these parts, PvdL did not quite
live up to his potential as a Promising Newbie. The story of his
final fall from Grace is too sordid to repeat, suffice to say that shrimp,
lobster and a butt-ugly fish were involved. Be that as it may, eny fule
kno that Wanker's Corners is located in Eugene, Oregon.

Brigid Nelson

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Geoff Burling wrote:

> Your informant may be quoting true, although oral, history.

Geoff, you lunkhead! It's about time you showed up here.

brigid

Trelford T. Pinkerton, scourge of molasses

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00

DINO! Is that *you*? Thanks for the info

I bet you got the PhD, and with that you don't need an old hat.

A curse was placed upon me many years ago by an old gypsy woman.
Whenever someone mentions my name in AFU, I automatically apparate there.
(And you should see my apparatus). Unless I'm busy with something else.

Oh well, back to the front,

zzz szch- schzwoooosh! and away!

ObUL: The queen has a *very* collection of ugly hats, that a fishwife
would not be seen dead in.

dino

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00
wan...@afu.com (Trelford T. Pinkerton, scourge of molasses) wrote:

> DINO! Is that *you*? Thanks for the info
>
> I bet you got the PhD, and with that you don't need an old hat.

Yup, gotta Ph.D. Mathematics. U of Colorado.

Wanna shoe-shine?

> A curse was placed upon me many years ago by an old gypsy woman.
> Whenever someone mentions my name in AFU, I automatically apparate there.

^^^^^^^
The OED defines "apparate" as:

† 'apparate. Obs. rare.
[ad. L. apparat-us preparation; cf. Fr. apparat.]
An anglicized form of apparatus. (Cf. state, status.)

?c1600 MS. Bodl. 313 (Halliw.) The whole English apparate, and the
English popular calculation tables.

1616 Sheldon Rom. Miracles cxiii. 271 Such apparate and order for
publike sacrifices.

---

Is it time for more "publike sacrifices?"

dino < di...@uswest.net >