Odd-looking things on campus

Jym Dyer

Mar 7, 1992, 1:19:43 PM3/7/92
> We've got a castle here at WPI, too...

=o= Do you mean Higgins House or the stupid Skull 'n' Bones
thing (which used to generate enough magnetism to make trolley
cars jump their tracks -- WPI has a fine tradition of ruining
good things like public transportation).
<_Jym_>

:::.-----.::::.-----.:::::::::::::::::::::::::.-----.::::.-----.:::
::/ x x \::/ x x \:: Have a Nice Day :::/ x x \::/ x x \::
::\ ----- /::\ ----- /:: Have A Nice Death ::\ ----- /::\ ----- /::
:::`-----'::::`-----':::::::::::::::::::::::::`-----'::::`-----':::

Halber Mensch

Mar 6, 1992, 9:59:06 AM3/6/92
In article <lis.69...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> l...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Elisabeth Riba) writes:
> At Brandeis U, in front of the student center is a gray marble statue.
> It is a tall, thin, curved abstract... something
> It is untitled, so the general campus name for it is "the Phallic symbol"
> At various times, for fun or message, students put garbage bag condoms
> on it.

Heh...I was there just about a week ago and there was a plastic-wrap condom
on it for an AIDS-awareness dance...

ClarkU has a big, squared-off phallic thing on campus which is
_actually_called_ the "Goddard Erection"...

> Of course, we also have a full-fledged castle for students to live in.

We've got a castle here at WPI, too...Students used to live there in the
early 70's...The funny thing is, there were only 7 habitable bedrooms
(according to some law, I guess bedrooms have to meet certain specs) so
only 7 people lived in this big castle/house thing...Rumor has it there
used to be a coven there in the late 1800s...It LOOKS like it at least...

.s.
--
- lan...@wpi.wpi.edu - modem (508)slob0pc - lan...@well.sf.ca.us -
- The nineteen eighties was run by a person who's crazy like you -

James 'Kibo' Parry

Mar 5, 1992, 9:17:15 PM3/5/92
In article <Udhd0QO00...@andrew.cmu.edu> mc...@andrew.cmu.edu (Mary Rose Campbell) writes:

>At CMU, we also have something called Gray Matter in the center of Skibo
>(our student union substitute). It's a bunch of shapes, walls, holes,
>and steps covered with the same dark gray carpet that's on the floor.
>It looks like a giant cat toy.

Actually, it's a life-size model of S. Kibo himself, my great great
grand-uncle. This was before he evolved past the 'giant metazoic
amoeba' stage a few aeons ago. Now he's a trilobite.

-- K.

--
.................. ...................................................
James "Kibo" Parry 271 Dartmouth St #3D, Boston MA 02116 (617)262-3922

Elisabeth Riba

Mar 6, 1992, 7:52:43 AM3/6/92
At Brandeis U, in front of the student center is a gray marble statue.
It is a tall, thin, curved abstract... something
It is untitled, so the general campus name for it is "the Phallic symbol"
At various times, for fun or message, students put garbage bag condoms
on it.
The smokestack at the campus powerplant is often referred to as the
"Devil's Penis" to continue the theme.

Of course, we also have a full-fledged castle for students to live in.

--
---------------->Elisabeth Anne Riba * l...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu<-------------
UNIVERSICON 6--March 29--10am-6pm--Brandeis University--$10 advance,$12 at door

Mary Rose Campbell

LUCIFER

Mar 6, 1992, 11:28:43 AM3/6/92
l...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Elisabeth Riba) writes:
>At Brandeis U, in front of the student center is a gray marble statue.
>It is a tall, thin, curved abstract... something
>It is untitled, so the general campus name for it is "the Phallic symbol"
>At various times, for fun or message, students put garbage bag condoms on it

It is actually cald "Mother and Child"

>The smokestack at the campus powerplant is often referred to as the
>"Devil's Penis" to continue the theme.

Correction: It is usually refered to as the "Devil's Phallice"

Anton

Brian David Bikowicz

Mar 7, 1992, 4:40:08 PM3/7/92
In article <JYM.92Ma...@remarque.berkeley.edu> j...@mica.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) writes:
>> We've got a castle here at WPI, too...
>=o= Do you mean Higgins House or the stupid Skull 'n' Bones
>thing (which used to generate enough magnetism to make trolley
>cars jump their tracks -- WPI has a fine tradition of ruining
>good things like public transportation).

Given the fact that lancer mentioned the coven, he was speaking of Higgins
House, and Higgins gardens. The gardens are way cool, I spent a night there
when a dense fog made visiblity drop to less than 100 feet, and I was slightly
altered myself. Beautiful experience. Higgins house is cool, I've seen some
weird stuff over there, and from what I've seen, read, and heard it is very
easy to believe that there was a coven based there. The house is beautiful too.
If you walk around the gardens you can tell where old pools (summoning pools
some say) were located, and whee some of the walls and pillars used to be.

And you've messed it up a bit. The Skull Tomb is the HQ for the honor society,
which I absolutely have no use for. It was formerly a lab for Goddard to use
for testing rockets. Before that it was a lab for the study of magnetic fields.
The reason it was given to Goddard was because the stupid city of Worcester ran
a trolley line just a few feet away. hmm, can you say magnetic field boys and
girls. It screwed up the experiments. That's why the damn thing was built at
the bottom of the hill away from the upper campus. So there wouldn't be
interference.

Of course WPI did do the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. :-)

# I have one prejudice, and that is against stupidity. Use your mind, think! #
#Email mega...@wpi.wpi.edu Moderator, WPI anime FTP site 130.215.24.1 /anime#

Kevin L. McBride

Mar 8, 1992, 12:11:21 AM3/8/92
j...@mica.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) writes:

> ... WPI has a fine tradition of ruining

> good things like public transportation).

But nothing like back in the '60s when roving bands of MIT students
would use magnesium rods to weld the Green Line trolley cars to the
tracks when they stopped on Comm. Ave. above ground, out past Kenmore.

Jeffrey Baron

Mar 8, 1992, 12:40:05 AM3/8/92
In article <lis.69...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> l...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Elisabeth Riba) writes:
>At Brandeis U, in front of the student center is a gray marble statue.
>It is a tall, thin, curved abstract... something
>It is untitled, so the general campus name for it is "the Phallic symbol"
>At various times, for fun or message, students put garbage bag condoms
>on it.

I delegate myself to speak for the art on display here at IU.
Apparently, when the Fine Arts building came into full swing way back
when, there was a massive influx of erotic art. F'r instance, the femme nude
in the atrium of the Fine Arts building itself (and the pre-productions of it
located at the top of the stairs) and all of the bizarre erotic artwork in the
registration hall for when you are tired of sitting around waiting for your
name to be called and need something to perk you up. There are other nudes
running around campus (Adam 'n Eve in the forest), and I find myself hard
pressed to think of a statue of a person here who is clothed...

(.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.)/ I heard two claps of thunder \
Jeffrey Sittenfield Baron (_ | this afternoon. |
b.k.a. Phaedrus -__-| Well, we hear - sometimes we see. |
Indiana University Psychology | which doesn't say |
jba...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu | there is a world, or we are. |
('X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X'X')\ But something is. - William Bronk /

r...@nmsb.larc.nasa.gov

Mar 10, 1992, 9:09:05 AM3/10/92
At the University of Pittsburgh there used to be a sculpture
made of square metal beams bolted together at their ends at
strange angles. The whole thing was painted yellow. I don't
know if it had a name, but, everyone called it the "French Fries."
Strange looking thing.

Ray Balister

E. L. Salant

Mar 10, 1992, 3:15:13 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar8.0...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>,

*************

|>to think of a statue of a person here who is clothed...
|>
|>(.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.)/ I heard two claps of thunder \
|>Jeffrey Sittenfield Baron (_ | this afternoon. |

What do you mean by this??
ELS

Rich Holmes

Mar 10, 1992, 3:08:17 PM3/10/92
In front of the SU physics building is one of the most ghastly
assemblages ever erected in the name of Art. Basically a section of
sewer pipe filled with concrete. Only worse.

It was put up with great ceremony a few years ago in honor of a former
member of the department, now dead and presumably blissfully ignorant.
I only hope and pray I never become a great enough physicist to
warrant a similar honor. Well, not much chance of that, I suppose.
--
- Rich Holmes ri...@suhep.bitnet or ri...@suhep.phy.syr.edu
Syracuse U. Physics Dept.

Solipsists of the world, unite!

OMER

Mar 10, 1992, 8:20:18 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.1...@news.larc.nasa.gov>, r...@nmsb.larc.nasa.gov writes...
Impossible. Literally impossible. WE have the so-called
"French Fries" here at the University of Florida. Exactly
like what you described. Well, at least the last time I
checked, they were here. Say... How long have you guys
had this sculpture? Did you just recently "aquire" it?
Can you prove ownership? Does it look like the kind of
sculpture that you could just dump out of the back of
a large truck and it would be there, a pile of big yellow
girders, sort of like so many (huge) pencils in a tin
can? Your sculpture sounds just too much like ours.
Or else this must be some new college fad --
stealing the sculpture from some other school.

[%=%] Richard Omer Sr. Programmer Analyst /----*******************----\ \/-\/
{o o} ++++ Student Financial Affairs ++++ |<:> !How's my driving?! <:>| {o o}
|(@)| University$of$Florida (904)392-1291 |<:> Call 1-900-555-1212 <:>| |(@)|
/\-/\ &&& caedmon @pine.circa.ufl.edu &&& \----^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^----/ [%=%]

Sue Miller

Mar 11, 1992, 2:01:17 AM3/11/92
In article <666> rsho...@rodan.syr.EDU (Rich Holmes) writes:
>It was put up with great ceremony a few years ago in honor of a former
>member of the department, now dead and presumably blissfully ignorant.
>I only hope and pray I never become a great enough physicist to
>warrant a similar honor. Well, not much chance of that, I suppose.
>--

I would say that there is every chance. I've never heard of you,
if that helps.

David C. Kovar

Mar 11, 1992, 7:52:25 AM3/11/92
>>At the University of Pittsburgh there used to be a sculpture
>>made of square metal beams bolted together at their ends at
>>strange angles. The whole thing was painted yellow. I don't
>>know if it had a name, but, everyone called it the "French Fries."
>>Strange looking thing.
>>
>Impossible. Literally impossible. WE have the so-called
>"French Fries" here at the University of Florida. Exactly
>like what you described. Well, at least the last time I
>checked, they were here.

Um, we had a "sculpture" at Dartmouth called X-Delta. It was a collection
of rusty I-beams bolted together at odd angles with a large platform
swing constructed out of railroad ties suspended in the middle of the
structure, about a foot off of the ground. It vanished back in '84 or
so, if I remember correctly, and I've not seen it since. Which one of
you guys stole it?

-David

P.S. Seriously, this huge thing set in concrete vanished. *poof* It
may have been written up in the paper, but I don't recall hearing
what happened to it.

--
-David C. Kovar Internet: ko...@eclectic.com
"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Rich Holmes

Mar 11, 1992, 4:56:02 PM3/11/92

Uh, I meant "not much chance of becoming a great enough physicist",
not "not much chance of never becoming a great enough physicist".
There's also not much chance of becoming a great expository writer
either, evidently.

.... (article <666>, eh??? Maybe I could become a great Antichrist.)

Fuzzy

Mar 13, 1992, 4:06:35 PM3/13/92
gee....make me feel left out, why don't you?? as near as i can tell, there's
nothing on my damn campus worth mentioning...got some silly phallic fountain
that's always shooting off when it's warm, but that's about it...no
french fries, no dueling tampons or anything else...oh yeah...we do have
the odd obelisk here and there, but nothing special tho...

on a different note, any other people have those roaming bible-thumpers
visithing their campus? guy named Brother Max comes here...raving loonie,
but fun to watch him contradict himself...great excuse to skip class
too...and he brings his croonies once in a while, but they're not as
much fun...wish he'd hurry up and come back...i'm getting tired of skipping
classes for nonsensical reasons...

Fuzzy
--
Anything you say can and will be distorted, remixed and used against you.

fu...@sage.cc.purdue.edu

Michael Masterov

Mar 13, 1992, 4:38:11 PM3/13/92
My schoolmate, fu...@sage.cc.purdue.edu, writes:

gee....make me feel left out, why don't you?? as near as i can tell, there's
nothing on my damn campus worth mentioning...got some silly phallic fountain
that's always shooting off when it's warm, but that's about it...no
french fries, no dueling tampons or anything else...oh yeah...we do have
the odd obelisk here and there, but nothing special tho...

on a different note, any other people have those roaming bible-thumpers
visithing their campus? guy named Brother Max comes here...raving loonie,
but fun to watch him contradict himself...great excuse to skip class
too...and he brings his croonies once in a while, but they're not as
much fun...wish he'd hurry up and come back...i'm getting tired of skipping
classes for nonsensical reasons...

Fuzzy

You have unquestionably gone blind. What about the giant hamster tunnels?
Seriously, half the buildings on our campus seem to be connected by these
glass tubes at second story level. Our architecture is boringly blocky
red brick as it is; add the tubes and it looks like the Habitrail sets
you keep gerbils in.

How's this for college folklore:

There was rocket fuel research done at my undergrad school during WWII
(The Cooper Union fot the Advancement of Science and Art, Albert Nerken
School of Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, New York City)
and they used picric acid (about as powerful as TNT). So when the war
ended they just left it in the stockroom in the basement, several pound
containers of of it. And it just sits there, decaying and becoming more
and more unstable. If someone were to tip it over...

Actually this is now urban legend. Three years ago someone discovered the
containers and the bomb squad came to pick them up. Five pounds or so
were still there. But before that happened no one ever said anything
about it as no one knew. Pity no one told me...

* Michael Masterov * mast...@ecn.purdue.edu *
* Purdue University *********************************************
* Chemical Engineering Dept * Wherever you go, there you are - *
* West Lafayette, IN 47907 * Buckaroo Banzai *

Elisabeth Riba

Mar 13, 1992, 9:41:31 PM3/13/92
fu...@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Fuzzy) writes:

>on a different note, any other people have those roaming bible-thumpers
>visithing their campus? guy named Brother Max comes here...raving loonie,
>but fun to watch him contradict himself...great excuse to skip class
>too...and he brings his croonies once in a while, but they're not as
>much fun...wish he'd hurry up and come back...i'm getting tired of skipping
>classes for nonsensical reasons...

Brandeis has a student (someone I hope doesn't read this newsgroup)
who people called "XXXX the Happy Freshman" He used to go around
hugging people, inviting them to the campus Protestant organization,
and telling them "Jesus loves you" very loudly. For those who aren't
aware, Brandeis is probably about 2/3 to 3/4 Jewish. Needless to say,
a lot of people were quite unhappy with this behavior. After a year,
he mellowed a bit, and stopped his more aggressive proseletyzing.
Other than that, he was a quite sweet person.

Cindy Kandolf

Mar 14, 1992, 1:22:11 PM3/14/92
U. of Pittsburgh was one of the stomping grounds of a woman who was called
"The Jesus Lady" or "The Church Lady". (I would not be surprised a bit
to hear that she also haunted other campuses. She turned up at a variety
of local events, and i saw her downtown several times.)

She was a harmless sort. She always wore a coat and knitted hat, except
on the very hottest days when she would wear a coat and a head scarf.
And if you passed her, all she would say is something like "Get inside.
Three days. Believe in Jesus. You won't die." The "Get inside, three days"
part was constant, although the rest changed slightly from time to time.

Once she somehow managed to get into the student section of the bleachers
at a football game. A great chant went up: "THREE DAYS! THREE DAYS!" It
seemed like a frightening number of the students recognized her and her, uh,
message.

Actually, she was harmless; unlike some Bible thumpers she never tried to
make you stop and listen to what she had to say, she didn't shout, and unlike
Brother Jed and his type, she didn't spread hatred disguised as religion.
She was just, well, ODD. A campus institution. I wonder if she's still
out there....

-Cindy Kandolf
ci...@solan.unit.no
Trondheim, Norway

Wayne Neverka

Mar 14, 1992, 1:38:53 AM3/14/92
r...@nmsb.larc.nasa.gov writes:

Hey...no fair. They ripped off University of Florida, which has a
similar structure that is known as the "French Fries"...supposedly, it's
actually called "The Spirit of Alachua" or some dumb shit...
Personally, I call it "Kibo the fried potato heads"...

Wayne R. Neverka bbs.a...@jwt.UUCP

JUST SAY NO TO BUSH! Libertarian Party 1992

BANE

Mar 16, 1992, 12:51:10 PM3/16/92
"Bible Totin' Josh, The Fundamentalist Freshman" is what the guy at Brandeis
was called, or just "Jesus Josh" for short. He was TOO sweet for words; I
thought I was going to develop diabetes from talking with him sometimes...

He stopped his constant evangelism two years ago, but there's still a few
lengthy diatribes about him written in one of the stalls in a bathroom in
the library. Some things, no one ever forgets.

-Bane the Mighty

nora

Mar 16, 1992, 7:53:02 PM3/16/92
mast...@dryer.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Masterov) writes:

>You have unquestionably gone blind. What about the giant hamster tunnels?
>Seriously, half the buildings on our campus seem to be connected by these
>glass tubes at second story level. Our architecture is boringly blocky
>red brick as it is; add the tubes and it looks like the Habitrail sets
>you keep gerbils in.

Hey!!! We have those too, or did you steal them?????
Let me go check if they are still there..............

Scott Goehring

Mar 18, 1992, 11:01:10 AM3/18/92
mast...@dryer.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Masterov) writes:

>You have unquestionably gone blind. What about the giant hamster
>tunnels? Seriously, half the buildings on our campus seem to be
>connected by these glass tubes at second story level. Our
>architecture is boringly blocky red brick as it is; add the tubes and
>it looks like the Habitrail sets you keep gerbils in.

Um. There are exactly three buildings on campus connected by exactly
two *rectangular* glass tubes at second story level. Not half of the
buildings on campus, by any means. Either you have spent all your
life in Physics, MSEE, and Electrical Engineering, or you're
exaggerating. There are no other elevated walkways *anywhere* at
Purdue West Lafayette that I know of.

As far as the boring blocky red brick goes, yes, well, John Purdue
seems to have something for red brick. Oh well.
--
This is an incredibly selfish and self-centered position to take.
What if women wore what they wanted to wear, instead of what made them

Norman St. John Polevaulter

Mar 19, 1992, 3:43:37 AM3/19/92
"Odd-looking things on campus", eh? Here at PSU-UPark, across the lawn
from the HUB (student union), is a really bizarre thing usually referred
to as the "Fighting Red Onionhead" or FROH for short. It's a steel cutout,
about ten or eleven feet high, of a guy holding a rifle, with the top of
his head sticking up in the most peculiar way. The FROH is prevented
from falling down by a little yellow mechanical railway cart thingy which
it is attached to.

The first story I've heard is that the FROH commemorates the Spanish
Civil War (the guy with the rifle is a cutout from a famous painting of
same) and the Holocaust (the railway cart.) Plausible, I suppose.

The second story I've heard is that there was a big endowment given
to PSU, on the condition that this statue be put up and maintained. This
I definitely believe.

[Your blood pressure just went up.] Mark Sachs IS: mbs...@psuvm.psu.edu
DISCLAIMER: Penn State cares about my money, not my opinions.
"All my father wanted to do was make a toaster you could really set the
darkness on -- and you perverted his work into those horrible machines!"