100 years of Naval Aviation

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 14, 2010, 1:26:12 PM11/14/10

Don

Nov 15, 2010, 10:47:12 AM11/15/10
On Nov 14, 12:26 pm, "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote:
> http://navlog.org/vol2iss4
>
> Go brown shoes!

Lloyd,

Thanks for posting this. I found it quite interesting.

Don

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 15, 2010, 6:10:45 PM11/15/10

"Don" <d.e...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Lloyd,

Don

*********************

You are very welcome Don, I appreciate the feedback.

Message has been deleted

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 15, 2010, 10:12:29 PM11/15/10

"VJ" <vin...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in news:47p46o.72k.17.1
> @news.alt.net:

>> "Don" <d.e...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks for posting this. I found it quite interesting.
>>
>> Don
>>
>> *********************
>>
>> You are very welcome Don, I appreciate the feedback.
>
> Do either of you know what a Right Arm Rate was, in the USN?

Weren't old deck apes Right Arm Rates?

Where would you find the navigator's balls?

Message has been deleted

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 16, 2010, 9:50:51 AM11/16/10

> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in news:47pic2.qn.17.1
> @news.alt.net:
> Yeah. My brother was a QMC at 21 years of age, and probably was the one
> who told me he was a Right Arm Rate sailor during WW2.

>> Where would you find the navigator's balls?
>
> Don't know.

They're right here:

http://myreckonings.com/wordpress/Images/MagneticDeviation/Binnacle.jpg

Message has been deleted

Don

Nov 16, 2010, 8:29:49 PM11/16/10
On Nov 15, 7:55 pm, VJ <vin...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in news:47p46o.72k.17.1
> @news.alt.net:
>

> > "Don" <d.er...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Thanks for posting this.  I found it quite interesting.
>
> > Don
>
> > *********************
>
> > You are very welcome Don, I appreciate the feedback.
>
> Do either of you know what a Right Arm Rate was, in the USN?

VJ,

I never heard the term so I looked at the rest of the thread and I
still don't know what I'm looking at:-)
You were Black Shoe anyway and we didn't have those in the Brown Shoe
Group.
Your Brother was QPC at 21? That is unbelievable but during WWII I
guess it was achievable. I recall one guy making First Class PO in
his first tour of four years but they later changed the timing so that
you couldn't move that fast unless you spend two or three years as a
second class PO. The guy was an American Indian from Wisconsin and I
would call him a genius. He was an AT1 when he was discharged.

Don

Message has been deleted

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 16, 2010, 11:40:01 PM11/16/10

> Don <d.e...@comcast.net> wrote in news:a079847d-1b2c-4605-b1d9-
> 30bbad...@t13g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

>> On Nov 15, 7:55 pm, VJ <vin...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in news:47p46o.72k.17.1
>>> @news.alt.net:

>>> Do either of you know what a Right Arm Rate was, in the USN?
>>
>> VJ,
>>
>> I never heard the term so I looked at the rest of the thread and I
>> still don't know what I'm looking at:-)
>> You were Black Shoe anyway and we didn't have those in the Brown Shoe
>> Group.
>
>> Your Brother was QPC at 21?
>
> QMC Chief Quartermaster.
> Oddly, the Chief that ran us thru bootcamp, was also a QMC. I think I
> mentioned it to him that my bro was a former QMC. :)

>> That is unbelievable but during WWII I
>> guess it was achievable. I recall one guy making First Class PO in
>> his first tour of four years but they later changed the timing so that
>> you couldn't move that fast unless you spend two or three years as a
>> second class PO. The guy was an American Indian from Wisconsin and I
>> would call him a genius. He was an AT1 when he was discharged.
>>
>> Don
>
> I found some info on the subject:
>
> Note 2. At one time the Quartermaster rate, along with Gunner's Mate,
> Cook, and Boatswain's Mate were the oldest rates in the Navy. These were
> considered "right-arm" rates. Right Arm Rates which were disestablished
> on 02 April 1949, originally signified men of the Seaman branch. During
> WWII these rates included Boatswains Mate, Turret Captain, Signalman,
> Gunners Mate, Fire Controlman, Quartermaster, Mineman, and Torpedomans
> Mate. Other ratings wore rates on the left sleeve.
> http://www.usslittlerock.org/Rate%20Descriptions/Quartermaster.html
>
> My bro was promoted very fast for several reasons. He worked on boats
> before joining the Navy, so knew about things nautical, like Rules Of The
> Road , signaling etc. As rates were needed, those that knew their stuff
> got promoted fast.
> During WW2, he sent a letter home with his old rating badge every time he
> got promoted.
>
> AT ET FT, all those rates require good scores to begin with, and the
> schooling that follows.
>
> We had some programs in the sixties that required a six year enlistment,
> to get the needed technical Navy schools. It was called The Advanced
> Electronics Program. It was a tough sell. Six year enlistment, and you
> had to have high scores on GCT and ARI to get the offer.:)

What equipment did you work on?

Message has been deleted

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 17, 2010, 9:03:00 AM11/17/10

> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in

>> "VJ" <vin...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> We had some programs in the sixties that required a six year
>>> enlistment, to get the needed technical Navy schools. It was called
>>> The Advanced Electronics Program. It was a tough sell. Six year
>>> enlistment, and you had to have high scores on GCT and ARI to get the
>>> offer.:)
>>>

>> What equipment did you work on?
>
> When?

In the Navy, or any other time. I like tinkering with things electronic.
Have you worked on anything interesting?

Message has been deleted

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 17, 2010, 4:47:52 PM11/17/10

> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in news:47tcrn.qu2.17.1
> @news.alt.net:
> Does mannipulating a deck of cards count? Nope, no aptitude for things
> like that. I did develope a knack for delegating others to a job where
> they fit best.
> My last duty was supervising 60 cooks/bakers/refers/dry stores, and about
> 260 messcooks, feeding over 3500 around the clock(at sea). IOW, trying to
> put 10 lbs crap in a 5 lb bag.

Lemme guess. The Oriskinay?

Message has been deleted

Lloyd Bonafide

Nov 17, 2010, 8:14:08 PM11/17/10

> "Lloyd Bonafide" <hv...@alhambra.net> wrote in

>> "VJ" <vin...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> IOW,
>>> trying to put 10 lbs crap in a 5 lb bag.
>

>> Lemme guess. The Oriskinay?
>
> Right church, wrong pew. :)

LOL!