Anime Expo '92 April Update

Mike M. Tatsugawa

Apr 20, 1992, 7:26:11 AM4/20/92
Please excuse this if it is a duplicate. My feed is VERY inconsistent
right now.

General Info:
Anime Expo '92
San Jose Red Lion Inn
July 3-6, 1992

New Info: New Guest of Honor
New Membership Deadlines
Anime Industry Awards
Art Show
Video and Movie Premiers

Japanese Guests of Honor:
Haruhiko Mikimoto Creator: Macross, Gunbuster, Macross II, High Speed Jecy
Orguss
Minoru Takanashi Producer: Macross II, Gunbuster, Guyver
Buichi Terasawa Creator: Bat, Gokuu, Cobra and Kabuto
Yoshiyuki Tomino Creator: Mobile Suit Gundam
Author: MS Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta, novels
and Char's Counterattack.

Confirmed American Guests:
Ben Dunn Artist, Ninja High School
Ken Iyadomi Executive Producer, L.A. Hero
Trish Ledoux Translator, Gunbuster: Editor, Animag
Luke Menichelli Editor, Animenominous!
Robert Napton Associate Producer, U.S. Renditions
John O'Donnell President, U.S. Manga Corps
Claude Pelletier Publisher, Ianus Publications (Protoculture Addicts)
Dave Riddick Associate Producer, U.S. Renditions
Fred Schodt Author, Manga! Manga!: Translator, Gundam Novels
Jeff Thompson Editor, Animenominous!: U.S. Manga Corps
Robert Woodhead President & Founder, Animeigo
Steve Wang Director, Guyver: Costume, Batman Returns, Predator, Guyver:
Voice Actor Macross II
Toshi Yoshida Translator, Gunbuster: Editor, Animag

And a few surprises...

Memberships
Until April 22: $35
Until June 15: $40
No memberships accepted between June 15 and July 4th.
At-Con Memberships: $45
One-Days: $25/day

Dealers' Tables are $150 for the first table, $225 for additional
table.

Room Rates are:
Single: $62/night
Double: $69/night
Triple: $75/night
Quad: $81/night

The hotel number is (408)-453-4000.
For a fee, the hotel will hook up your VCR to the TV set.

*Warning* Last year the Red Lion Inn was booked up two months before
the convention. Going on the same timetable, that means thay the Red
Lion will probably be full by May. Perhaps earlier if a larger crowd
shows up this year. Please book your rooms early.

When the Red Lion fills up, the San Jose Hyatt will act as the
overflow hotel.

To make travel arrangements, American Airlines is the official
carrier of the convention. For discounted flights (from 5%-40%), call
Ladera Travel at (213)-772-1511. These flights will ALWAYS be cheaper
than the cheapest American Airlines flight that you can book through a
travel agent.

All rates and information posted today are subject to change.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What kind of panels will Anime Expo have?

Macross II Panel
Guyver Panel
Live Action <=> Animation Panel
Subbing vs. Dubbing Revisited (Will Macek be vindicated?)

Other topics will be decided on later in the year. If you have
any ideas on what you'd like to hear please write to:

oka...@ranma.corp.hp.com
RE: Panel Topics

Remember, the convention is here for the fans, not the other way
around, so tell us what you want to hear!

Q: What will be in the Art Show/Auction?

We will have two rooms to display all of the contributions to the art
show. We also intend to have a charity auction to benefit the victims
of the Berkeley Hills fire and various international charities. All
individuals interested in contributing items to the art show should send
a letter to our address to the attention of the art show coordinator.
We are still looking for experienced staff for the art show. Please
mail if interested. The official sponsor of the art show is the
American Animation Foundation. Correspondence should be sent to:

The American Animation Foundation
2425 B Channing, Suite 656
Brk, CA 94704

Q: What will you guys be showing?

For obvious reasons, I can't advertise what will be shown at the con.
What I can say is that the largest collection of subtitled anime in
the country will probably be brought together at the con.
US Renditions will also be bringing all of the subbed and dubbed anime
that they've done. This includes Macross II, Guyver, Orguss, Gunbusters
1-2, Black Magic M-66, Dangaioh, and Appleseed. Streamline has confirmed
that they will probably be bringing their 35 mm Akira, Lensman, Robot
Carnival, and I think their Twilight of the Cockroackes. Robert Woodhead
and AnimEigo will be showing their Bubble Gum Crisis and Crash
subbed as well as Riding Bean and Madox 01. But, our film track may
be so packed that we may not have the time to show them. For more info,
you'll have to wait until the Progress Reports.

There will also be numerous film and video premiers. Titles like
Macross II (subbed), Kabuto, Vampire Princess Miyu (subbed) and numerous
other titles will make their first appearances before the American public.

Video submissions and questions should be directed to:

Albert Wang (Video Programming Director)
wa...@ocf.berkeley.edu

Q: What else will there be?

We will be starting a new tradition of giving awards to the anime
industry for excellence in anime. The categories will be listed in PR
#2 and nominations will be accepted after PR
#2 and the actual voting will take place at the convention.

There will be an Anime Game Show with categories for each of the
special guests attending.

There will also be a masqurade, and a costume competition.

There will also be a Meet the Guests reception where eveyone can meet
their favorite animation figure.

There should be two banquets for everyone to relax and meet
people. (This will cost extra)

There will be a gaming area for regular D&D but also with anime related
roll playing games. There will even be a gaming competition. (This
will be announced in PR #2)

If there are things you guys want, write to:

sho...@sutro.sfsu.edu
RE: Program Activities

Q: What will be the attendance?

Official estimated attendance at AnimeCon '91 was 2,000. This year, with
better publicity, Anime Expo '92 is shooting for 2,500. If the rush for
memberships becomes too strong, we may have to put a cap on convention
membership at 3,000. We're the only international Japanese animation
convention, and our memberships reflect it.

Q: What about the Dealers' Room?

The dealers' room is 7,500 square feet, or 3/4 of the main ballroom.
With the dealers' table requests that we've received from everywhere,
it seems obvious that This means that you will be able to find things
at Anime Expo you've never seen before and may never see again (unless
you go to Japan). One precaution though. The Convention will
be cracking down on illegal sales merchandise. Not only is it likely
that the designers and owners of the characters and movies will be
there, but we're trying to get the message to Japanese wholesalers and
retailers that there is a market in the U.S. This policy will protect
both you the consumers and the legitimate owners of the goods. On the
other hand, what you do with your TV set in your room is your
business.

Q. What should I do if I want to volunteer?

Volunteers are recommended to buy memberships at the cheapest
rate possible ASAP. This way they qualify for any promotions that we
may be holding. Later, we will send out info on how to sign up.
If you are still interested, then you will receive forms and will report
to the con to work. We will provide crash space and food (staff and
gofers get meager (i.e. one meal a day) amounts of food to sustain
themselves for four days). At the end of the con, turn in your gofer
timecards and your membership money will be refunded. We will not be
taking volunteer sign-ups at the convention, so prospective
volunteers, get your money in!

To sign up or get more details, write to:

Robert Loo (Volunteer Coordinator)
rz...@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
(Note that the "rzl" has an "l" as in Loo, not a "1".

Q: What will be in the Progress Reports and when is it due out?

The Progress Reports will have info on all of the above mentioned topics
volunteer registration info, and flight and hotel registration information.
PR #1 should be coming out in late April. The final Progress
Report will be mailed out in late May with all the final
details on the con. Progress Reports will be mailed out until we run
out of them. They will be printed based upon the current numbers of
members registered.

Inquiries about lost PR's should be sent to:
Terry Yeung (Pre-Convention Registration Supervisor)
ter...@ocf.berkeley.edu

Q: What is this I've heard about The Anime Reference Guide?

Last year, Cal-Animage (Berkeley) cranked out their newest publication,
The Anime Reference Guide. It had about 75 synopses, a four color Nadia
original by Sadamoto and a one color Noriko original by Mikimoto on
the back. It ran 112 pages and was complimentary to all
attendees and associate members. They are currently on sale through
Nikaku and Books Nippon. We intend to do a new one this year, but we
have not decided if we will simply change the cover and recycle it or
put in the effort to create a new book. The cover this year will
probably be an original Mikimoto drawing from Macross II.

Q: What about AnimeCon '92? What happened?

The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation is a non-profit
corporation separate from AnimeCon Corp. Although much of the staff
from AnimeCon '91 is working on Anime Expo, we are different
conventions sponsored by different corporations.

If you receive Progress Report #1, you have a membership to Anime Expo '92.
If not, please write to us. If you have
written a check to us and we have the AnimeCon Corp. checks transfered
to us, we will refund one of the checks to you. If you decide to follow
this course of action, write the check in the amount that you paid for your
original membership. We will work on an honors system.

Please forward this to all Bulletin Boards

Electronic Mail Inquiries can be sent to:
sho...@sutro.sfsu.edu
or
mt...@ocf.berkeley.edu

Membership applications, Pagemaker 4.0 flier versions, postscript
versionts of fliers and Progress Report Supplements are
available via anonymous ftp at piggy.ucsb.edu, ocf.berkeley.edu and
groupw.cns.vt.edu

Memberships and all mail correspondence should be sent to:

Anime Expo
c/o The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation
2425 B Channing, Suite 684
Brk, CA 94704

All checks should be made payable to:
The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation

Mike Tatsugawa, AKA shogun: The busiest anime fan in the world
Projects/Addresses:
CEO for The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation:
A Non-Profit Corp dedicated to the development of anime fandom and industry
Anime Expo '92: 2425 B Channing, Suite 684, Brk, CA 94704
American Animation Foundation: 2425 B Channing, Suite 656, Brk, CA 94704
Cal-Animage Founder: #300 Eschelmann Hall, U.C. Berkeley, CA 94720
Home: 796 Font Blvd., Suite 1504, S.F., CA 94132

mt...@ocf.berkeley.edu sho...@sutro.sfsu.edu sho...@sfsu.edu
"I feel so impotent when Madoka is like that" - Kyosuke (KOR 5)