An Invitation to the First Annual AFT?RABT New Year Party

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 12, 2007, 12:56:30 AM12/12/07
On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
include all time zones.)

Whether you are regular, a lurker or just visited the newsgroups
for a few days, you are invited to return on any of those three days.
You don't need to discuss the works of Tolkien at all--just let us
know how you have been, what are you reading, which dreams you still
hope to pursue or anything else you wish to comment on. Who knows?
You may make a few new friends or even reestablish a few old
friendships. If you know how to contact any of the old gang (Conrad
Dunkerson, Jaime Armstrong, Flame of the West, Russ, Henriette, et
cetera), please pass this invitation along.

We hope to see you there!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :-)

Morgoth's Curse

Tamf Moo

Dec 13, 2007, 12:03:42 PM12/13/07
Morgoth's Curse wrote:
> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)

what a neggsellent nidea! i'll see if i can rouse some sleepy teuncorns.

will there be party hats? charades? games?

--
tamf.

Steuard Jensen

Dec 13, 2007, 8:31:23 PM12/13/07
In message <<9crul396c4kaqo8ur...@4ax.com>>, Morgoth's

Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)

I'll do what I can, anyway. :) Though I'll be away from my usual
network connection (and my usual news server), so I may have a little
trouble participating... maybe I'll be stuck using Google Groups.

> If you know how to contact any of the old gang (Conrad Dunkerson,
> Jaime Armstrong, Flame of the West, Russ, Henriette, et cetera),
> please pass this invitation along.

You might try digging their old email addresses out of the archives
(whatever the used most recently); worth a shot, anyway. I've already
dropped Conrad a line over at his Wikipedia Talk page (he's fairly
active there these days).

Steuard Jensen

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 13, 2007, 9:07:45 PM12/13/07
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 01:31:23 -0000, Steuard Jensen <ste...@slimy.com>
wrote:

>In message <<9crul396c4kaqo8ur...@4ax.com>>, Morgoth's
>Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
>> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
>> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
>> include all time zones.)
>
>I'll do what I can, anyway. :) Though I'll be away from my usual
>network connection (and my usual news server), so I may have a little
>trouble participating... maybe I'll be stuck using Google Groups.

We won't hold that against you. ;-)

>> If you know how to contact any of the old gang (Conrad Dunkerson,
>> Jaime Armstrong, Flame of the West, Russ, Henriette, et cetera),
>> please pass this invitation along.
>
>You might try digging their old email addresses out of the archives
>(whatever the used most recently); worth a shot, anyway. I've already
>dropped Conrad a line over at his Wikipedia Talk page (he's fairly
>active there these days).

That might have been a good idea three or even two years ago, but so
many of the addresses are disposable accounts or spam traps now that I
suspect only a few would actually be read. Some of the servers have
also changed hands a couple of times during the past few years and
accounts have been canceled or transferred.

Morgoth's Curse

gp.skinner

Dec 13, 2007, 11:44:36 PM12/13/07
On 13 Dec, 17:03, Tamf Moo <liddlelel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Morgoth's Curse wrote:
> > On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> > Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> > to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> > include all time zones.)
>
> what a neggsellent nidea! i'll see if i can rouse some sleepy teuncorns.

You can't wake me up yet, my beauty sleep is not complete ;-)

> will there be party hats? charades? games?

Jelly and Ice Cream! Yay!

joykh...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2007, 9:10:01 AM12/14/07

Just the mention of party hats has got me back here.

It's been a good while, AFT. Just popping in to say hello, since Tamf
alerted teuncdom... And I was feeling a tad nostalgic.

-yoj

Morambar

Dec 14, 2007, 10:39:39 AM12/14/07
Morgoth's Curse wrote:
> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)

FATS has approved this reunion, providing it will be conducted in
civilized and orderly manner. All former members of the late TEUNC will
be allowed to participate, on the condition that they first pledge
allegiance to the Letter - the Letter being 'M' - and to the Order for
which it stands.

Morambar the Merciful

gp.skinner

Dec 14, 2007, 11:40:31 AM12/14/07
On 14 Dec, 15:39, Morambar <moram...@fats.teunc.org> wrote:
> Morgoth's Curse wrote:
> > On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> > Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> > to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> > include all time zones.)
>
> FATS has approved this reunion, providing it will be conducted in
> civilized and orderly manner. All former members of the late TEUNC

How can we be late, it's a week away yet. We do however have a late
former member who will be present in spirit I'm sure ;-)

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 14, 2007, 11:59:12 AM12/14/07
In message
om> "gp.skinner" <gp.sk...@talk21.com> spoke these staves:

> On 14 Dec, 15:39, Morambar <moram...@fats.teunc.org> wrote:
>> Morgoth's Curse wrote:
>>>
>>> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
>>> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT
>>> reunion party to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in
>>> order to ensure that we include all time zones.)
>>
>> FATS has approved this reunion, providing it will be conducted in
>> civilized and orderly manner. All former members of the late
>> TEUNC
>
> How can we be late, it's a week away yet.

It's TEUNC that will be late -- not the former members (meaning, I
expect, that the present members will be late, while us former
members will be in time).

Of course it should be no surprise to anyone here that Morambar's
intimate familiarity with the BUQ has granted him a measure of
foresight.

> We do however have a late former member who will be present in
> spirit I'm sure ;-)

And to ensure that, I am willing to offer a generous glass of my best
Scotch to the person capable of coming up with the insult of FATS
that is the closest to his spirit (the winner will receive
instructions on where to pick up her or his prize).

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>

The "paradox" is only a conflict between reality and your
feeling of what reality "ought to be".
- Richard Feynman

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 14, 2007, 4:13:20 PM12/14/07
In message <news:MPG.21ccf6a25...@news.individual.net> TT
Arvind <ttar...@hotmail.com> spoke these staves:

> žus cwęš Troels Forchhammer:

>> And to ensure that, I am willing to offer a generous glass of my
>> best Scotch to the person capable of coming up with the insult of
>> FATS that is the closest to his spirit (the winner will receive
>> instructions on where to pick up her or his prize).
>
> Bah, humbug. Scotch? And you had the impudence to claim to be a
> true Scandinavian Religious Fanatic, charlatan? All know that a
> true Scandinavian would accept and offer nothing other than
> Aquavit!

Outrageous! Heretical!

The Aquavit (in all its variants) is never offered in advance to
someone who might turn out to be an unappreciative stranger.

You start out mildly -- serving some of the lighter stuff (vodka,
Ratzeputz, Scotch, Tequila -- stuff like that) and if people show a
genuine liking and duly praises the offerings, they may graduate to the
level of friendship where one might offer them an Aquavit.

(offering Aquavit as a contest prize, as if it was some common booze .
. . I've never . . .!)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.
But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another
profound truth.
- Niels Bohr

Count Menelvagor

Dec 14, 2007, 5:22:07 PM12/14/07
On Dec 14, 11:59 am, Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid>
wrote:
> In message

> And to ensure that, I am willing to offer a generous glass of my best
> Scotch to the person capable of coming up with the insult of FATS
> that is the closest to his spirit (the winner will receive
> instructions on where to pick up her or his prize).

fats are a bunch of stunted humans whose blood is second-rate Rh-
negative rubbish that no one wd be caught dead serving even at an
orkish picnic.

(though i do feel a certain sympathy for morambar. he has a touch of
melancholy. i sometimes think all he needs is a mug of decent lava.)

Jon Hall

Dec 14, 2007, 5:10:54 PM12/14/07
In message <MPG.21ccf6a25...@news.individual.net>
TT Arvind <ttar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> þus cwæð Troels Forchhammer:

> > And to ensure that, I am willing to offer a generous glass of my best
> > Scotch to the person capable of coming up with the insult of FATS
> > that is the closest to his spirit (the winner will receive
> > instructions on where to pick up her or his prize).
>

> Bah, humbug. Scotch? And you had the impudence to claim to be a true
> Scandinavian Religious Fanatic, charlatan? All know that a true
> Scandinavian would accept and offer nothing other than Aquavit!

~M~
I thought it was glÖgg...
Jon.

--
jgc....@tiscali.co.uk
http://www.mcvax.org/jghall/

TT Arvind

Dec 14, 2007, 8:02:31 PM12/14/07
þus cwæð Jon Hall:

> TT Arvind <ttar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Bah, humbug. Scotch? And you had the impudence to claim to be a true
> > Scandinavian Religious Fanatic, charlatan? All know that a true
> > Scandinavian would accept and offer nothing other than Aquavit!
> ~M~
> I thought it was glÖgg...

"Gløgg" or "glögg" is actually the joyous sound produced by a
Scandinavian as he downs a glass of aquavit.

--
Arvind

Tamf Moo

Dec 14, 2007, 8:04:35 PM12/14/07
TT Arvind wrote:

> "Gløgg" or "glögg" is actually the joyous sound produced by a
> Scandinavian as he downs a glass of aquavit.

you've come far, my good man, to actually proclaim yourelf scandinavian.

--
tamf. prefers mead.

Raven

Dec 14, 2007, 9:40:31 PM12/14/07
"TT Arvind" <ttar...@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> Bah, humbug. Scotch? And you had the impudence to claim to be a true
> Scandinavian Religious Fanatic, charlatan? All know that a true
> Scandinavian would accept and offer nothing other than Aquavit!

You are forgetting HB. You know full well that in Norway sugar prices
are commonly quoted in kroner per bottle.

Hrafn.

Bill O'Meally

Dec 14, 2007, 10:10:22 PM12/14/07
Troels Forchhammer wrote:

> You start out mildly -- serving some of the lighter stuff (vodka,
> Ratzeputz, Scotch, Tequila -- stuff like that) and if people show a
> genuine liking and duly praises the offerings, they may graduate to
> the level of friendship where one might offer them an Aquavit.

But we're dealing with TEUNC, Troels. Don't offer alcohol as a reward.
Its CHOKLIT they're after!
--
Bill
"Wise fool"

derr...@fats.teunc.org

Dec 15, 2007, 5:03:48 PM12/15/07

D00d. U r kewl but WTF.

gp.skinner

Dec 15, 2007, 5:18:48 PM12/15/07
On 15 Dec, 03:10, "Bill O'Meally" <omeall...@wise.rr.com> wrote:
> Troels Forchhammer wrote:
> > You start out mildly -- serving some of the lighter stuff (vodka,
> > Ratzeputz, Scotch, Tequila -- stuff like that) and if people show a
> > genuine liking and duly praises the offerings, they may graduate to
> > the level of friendship where one might offer them an Aquavit.
>
> But we're dealing with TEUNC, Troels. Don't offer alcohol as a reward.
> Its CHOKLIT they're after!

Hmmmmm CHOKLIT................

I'm sure drool does the keyboard some good ;-)

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 15, 2007, 7:31:22 PM12/15/07
In message
om> joykh...@gmail.com spoke these staves:

> On Dec 14, 4:03 am, Tamf Moo <liddlelel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Morgoth's Curse wrote:

<snap>

Joy! Oh, . . .

(Blast it -- I can't even do simple exclamation of happiness without
it appearing to be a pun, but it /is/ a joy <G>).

How absolutely charming to see you around again

>> will there be party hats? charades? games?
>
> Just the mention of party hats has got me back here.

In that case, I'll give you mine
_________
| |
_____|_______|_____

> It's been a good while, AFT. Just popping in to say hello, since
> Tamf alerted teuncdom...

It's a good thing Tamf is in contact with teuncdom, then

> And I was feeling a tad nostalgic.

Do pop in for the new years thingy -- we'll have something alcoholic
(beats swapping old stories, anyway) ;-)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Relativity applies to physics, not ethics.
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 15, 2007, 7:39:09 PM12/15/07
In message <news:47634598$0$6961$4c36...@roadrunner.com>
"Bill O'Meally" <omea...@wise.rr.com> spoke these staves:

> Troels Forchhammer wrote:
>>
>> You start out mildly -- serving some of the lighter stuff (vodka,
>> Ratzeputz, Scotch, Tequila -- stuff like that) and if people show
>> a genuine liking and duly praises the offerings, they may
>> graduate to the level of friendship where one might offer them an
>> Aquavit.
>
> But we're dealing with TEUNC, Troels. Don't offer alcohol as a
> reward. Its CHOKLIT they're after!

I give of my surplus, and CHOKLIT and Aquavit ain't that ("surplus
CHOKLIT" -- that's defining an oxymoron)!

If they're well-behaved, the winner might get a piece of CHOKLIT to go
with the Scotch, though . . . (I won't promise much about the size, but
it will be large enough to taste).

On the other hand, I don't think we can rule out that the person best
capable of delivering an insult in the true spirit of the rodent might
be found outside TEUNC, in which case I might not need offering up any
of my precious CHOKLIT.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke, /Profiles of The Future/, 1961
(Also known as 'Clarke's third law')

Count Menelvagor

Dec 15, 2007, 9:04:08 PM12/15/07
On Dec 15, 7:31 pm, Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid>
wrote:
> In message
> om> joykhoo...@gmail.com spoke these staves:

> Joy! Oh, . . .
>
> (Blast it -- I can't even do simple exclamation of happiness without
> it appearing to be a pun, but it /is/ a joy <G>).
>
> How absolutely charming to see you around again

ditto!

> It's a good thing Tamf is in contact with teuncdom, then

*waves at the teuncdom

wd you care to attend RUNTS, the Rogsylvanian UNiversity of Tolkien
Studies?

you can find out the truth about whether balrogs wear hats (as oppoed
to FATS rubbish).

WindSparrow

Dec 16, 2007, 3:17:58 PM12/16/07
Oh my, I'm glad I stumbled across this.... I shall endeavor to present
myself at an appropriate juncture.

TT Arvind

Dec 18, 2007, 6:53:07 AM12/18/07
þus cwæð Troels Forchhammer:

> >> And to ensure that, I am willing to offer a generous glass of my
> >> best Scotch to the person capable of coming up with the insult of
> >> FATS that is the closest to his spirit (the winner will receive
> >> instructions on where to pick up her or his prize).
> >
> > Bah, humbug. Scotch? And you had the impudence to claim to be a
> > true Scandinavian Religious Fanatic, charlatan? All know that a
> > true Scandinavian would accept and offer nothing other than
> > Aquavit!
>
> Outrageous! Heretical!
>
> The Aquavit (in all its variants) is never offered in advance to
> someone who might turn out to be an unappreciative stranger.
>
> You start out mildly -- serving some of the lighter stuff (vodka,
> Ratzeputz, Scotch, Tequila -- stuff like that) and if people show a
> genuine liking and duly praises the offerings, they may graduate to the
> level of friendship where one might offer them an Aquavit.
>
> (offering Aquavit as a contest prize, as if it was some common booze .
> . . I've never . . .!)

Hah! One who has come up with an insult in the spirit of the Softrat
*must* be a true Scandinavian at heart - and has therefore earned the
right to quaff the true Scandinavian spirit.

<softrat>If you need this explanation, it shows you won't understand it!
</softrat>

--
Arvind

Öjevind Lång

Dec 18, 2007, 8:23:10 AM12/18/07
"Morgoth's Curse" <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet

> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)

[snip]

> Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :-)

The same to you! And I daresay I'll pop in during those three days.

Öjevind

Pseudonymus al-Faqha'ter III

Dec 18, 2007, 10:04:57 AM12/18/07
On Dec 18, 8:23 am, "Öjevind Lång" <bredband....@ojevind.lang> wrote:
> "Morgoth's Curse" <morgothscurse2...@nospam.yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandetnews:9crul396c4kaqo8ur...@4ax.com...

> > On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> > Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> > to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> > include all time zones.)
>
> [snip]
>
> > Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :-)
>
> The same to you! And I daresay I'll pop in during those three days.

In my opinion, Christmas and New Year's are vastly overrated. Sure,
they're remunerative, what will all the FATS merchandise that gets
stuck in people's stockings. But they've got nothing on the
Tolkamorambathlon, celebrating seven days of wild partying by MORAMBAR
and the GreatTolk.

Message has been deleted

Jamie Armstrong

Dec 18, 2007, 1:16:18 PM12/18/07
Morgoth's Curse wrote:
> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)
>
> Whether you are regular, a lurker or just visited the newsgroups
> for a few days, you are invited to return on any of those three days.
> You don't need to discuss the works of Tolkien at all--just let us
> know how you have been, what are you reading, which dreams you still
> hope to pursue or anything else you wish to comment on. Who knows?
> You may make a few new friends or even reestablish a few old
> friendships. If you know how to contact any of the old gang (Conrad
> Dunkerson, Jaime Armstrong,

Well, looks like I picked the right time to swing by!
:)

Jamie

Michael O'Neill

Dec 18, 2007, 1:58:40 PM12/18/07

[in a place that is not a place, in a timeless time, a figure stirs at
the base of the T.E.U.N.C. edifice].

<removes hand from supporting pillar - doffs "founding father" hat>

"Geez, that's some weight to be holding up."

<wipes brow>

"Looks like its generating enought hot air to sty up by itself, now."

[the figure wanders off trying to remember the name of a curse he used
use to invoke disaster in the Groups]

"Christmas again, and not a Suziflame in sight - you'd almost miss the
old days, if it weren't for the new days keeping you occupied..."

M.

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 18, 2007, 6:07:47 PM12/18/07
In message <news:fk92pl$nub$1...@heffalump.dur.ac.uk>
Jamie Armstrong <J.D.Ar...@durham.ac.uk> spoke these staves:

> Well, looks like I picked the right time to swing by!
>:)

It's not as though there's a wrong time ;-)

Darned good to have you back, Jamie, and I hope it'll be more than just
for the New Year's party.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Original thought
is a straightforward process.
It's easy enough
when you know what to do.
You simply combine
in appropriate doses
the blatantly false
and the patently true.
- Piet Hein, /Originality/

Jamie Armstrong

Dec 18, 2007, 6:38:30 PM12/18/07
Troels Forchhammer wrote:
> In message <news:fk92pl$nub$1...@heffalump.dur.ac.uk>
> Jamie Armstrong <J.D.Ar...@durham.ac.uk> spoke these staves:
>> Well, looks like I picked the right time to swing by!
>> :)
>
> It's not as though there's a wrong time ;-)
>
> Darned good to have you back, Jamie, and I hope it'll be more than just
> for the New Year's party.

Thank you very much! Yes, I'm back. Well, for a while, anyway.

Jamie

Tamf Moo

Dec 18, 2007, 6:51:13 PM12/18/07
Jamie Armstrong wrote:

>> Darned good to have you back, Jamie, and I hope it'll be more than
>> just for the New Year's party.
> Thank you very much! Yes, I'm back. Well, for a while, anyway.

don't tell me you'll disappear at the xent birthday party.

--
tamf.

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 18, 2007, 7:46:44 PM12/18/07

Quick! Somebody grab him! He's a slippery devil, but sooner or later
we'll figure out how to keep him here!

Morgoth's Curse

Michelle J. Haines

Dec 18, 2007, 11:19:16 PM12/18/07
Jamie Armstrong wrote:
> Morgoth's Curse wrote:
>> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
>> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
>> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
>> include all time zones.)

> Well, looks like I picked the right time to swing by!

Same here. On break from school!

Michelle
Flutist

Taemon

Dec 19, 2007, 10:34:55 AM12/19/07
Michelle J. Haines wrote:

> Jamie Armstrong wrote:
>> Well, looks like I picked the right time to swing by!
> Same here. On break from school!

Now, if Henriette would show up, my happiness would be complete.

T.

Tamf Moo

Dec 19, 2007, 11:23:32 AM12/19/07
(removed rabt crosspost)

> [in a place that is not a place, in a timeless time, a figure stirs at
> the base of the T.E.U.N.C. edifice].

Onqie! lpease!!! no farting!!!!

oh, you said edifice.

> <removes hand from supporting pillar - doffs "founding father" hat>

do you mind? i was trying to hatch CHOKLIT bunnies in that one!

<kvickly scoops up discombobulated dust>

> "Geez, that's some weight to be holding up."

you're not getting any slimmer, either? have you thought of giving up
CHOKLIT?

<snop>

> "Christmas again, and not a Suziflame in sight - you'd almost miss the
> old days, if it weren't for the new days keeping you occupied..."

yeah, Christmas is a festival of flames, to be sure. Perhaps Suzieflame
used up hir Christmases a bit early?

--
tamf.

Michelle J. Haines

Dec 19, 2007, 11:33:38 AM12/19/07

Aw, I contribute to your happiness? *touched*

Michelle
Flutist

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 20, 2007, 1:43:38 PM12/20/07
In message <news:9d3f3$47689ba7$4127760a$12...@hpnx.com>
"Michelle J. Haines" <mha...@nanc.com> spoke these staves:

> Same here. On break from school!

Yay! Now ain't we a lucky bunch!

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk
agh burzum ishi krimpatul.
- /The Fellowship of the Ring/ (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Taemon

Dec 22, 2007, 3:58:07 PM12/22/07
Michelle J. Haines wrote:

Oh, yes. You, and Jamie, and the others... I think I will be here for
the new year party :-) Happy post-solstice days everyone!

T.

Flame of the West

Dec 23, 2007, 8:00:12 PM12/23/07
Morgoth's Curse wrote:

> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)

Thank you, I shall certainly come!

-- FotW

Reality is for those who cannot cope with Middle-earth.

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 24, 2007, 5:22:56 AM12/24/07
In message <news:a4Odndkqk4EAmfLa...@comcast.com> Flame
of the West <SPAM_ME_NO...@comcast.net> spoke these staves:

> Morgoth's Curse wrote:
>>
>> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
>> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion
>> party to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to
>> ensure that we include all time zones.)
>
> Thank you, I shall certainly come!

I'm soon going to run out of exclamations of joy, but don't worry -- I
don't mind a bit of re-use ;-)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
- /Reaper Man/ (Terry Pratchett)

conrad.d...@worldnet.att.net

Dec 31, 2007, 2:37:01 PM12/31/07
On Dec 24, 5:22 am, Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid>
wrote:

> I'm soon going to run out of exclamations of joy, but don't worry -- I
> don't mind a bit of re-use ;-)

Like, 'hi'... or something. :]

Happy New Year all.

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 31, 2007, 8:12:11 PM12/31/07
<conrad.d...@worldnet.att.net> spoke these staves:

<snip>

> Like, 'hi'... or something. :]

Hi, indeed! Good to see you.

> Happy New Year all.

Yes, a very happy New Year all! May you all get at least one new (and
good) book by or about Tolkien this year (it's been 2008 here for a
couple of hours now).

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Relativity applies to physics, not ethics.
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 22, 2008, 5:41:40 PM12/22/08
On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
include all time zones.)

Whether you are regular, a lurker or just visited the newsgroups

for a few days, you are invited to return on any of those three days.
You don't need to discuss the works of Tolkien at all--just let us
know how you have been, what are you reading, which dreams you still
hope to pursue or anything else you wish to comment on. Who knows?
You may make a few new friends or even reestablish a few old
friendships.

We hope to see you there!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :-)

Morgoth's Curse

P.S. This may be your last chance to save the Usenet, so be sure to
mark your calendars!

Troels Forchhammer

Dec 22, 2008, 6:31:20 PM12/22/08
In message <news:el50l41adaee4oeas...@4ax.com>
Morgoth's Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> spoke these
staves:

> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion
> party

Being first, I shall take the 'Thank you, I shall certainly come' and
leave it to others to invent the hundreds of polite variations :-)

And lest I forget in the midst of preparations and celebrations as time
gets closer, I had better remember now to wish you all a merry
Christmas regardless of when -- or even whether -- you celebrate it :)
(Christmas can be substituted by any applicable solstice celebration of
your choice -- though I'm afraid it is a bit late for the scientific
one).

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Then suddenly the foresight of his kindred came to him, and
he said: "But lo! Master Elrond, the years of your abiding
run short at last, and the choice must soon be laid on your
children, to part either with you or with Middle-earth.
- Aragorn, /The Lord of the Rings/ (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Bill O' Meally

Dec 22, 2008, 7:46:22 PM12/22/08
Morgoth's Curse wrote:
> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party

I'll get my "Merry Christmas to all" in now, in that I will be in Paris for
the Holidays (Oh yes, I absolutely HAD to rub that in!)
--
Bill
"Wise fool."
Gandalf _The Two Towers_
(The Wise will remove 'se' to reach me. The Foolish will not!)

Raven

Dec 23, 2008, 12:06:23 PM12/23/08
"Bill O' Meally" <omea...@wise.rr.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> [...] I will be in Paris for the Holidays (Oh yes, I absolutely HAD to rub
> that in!)

Lucky pup. But wasn't her house burgled recently?

<anates>

Corbeau.

BaJoRi

Dec 23, 2008, 4:00:26 PM12/23/08

"Bill O' Meally" <omea...@wise.rr.com> wrote in message

> Morgoth's Curse wrote:
>> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
>> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
>
> I'll get my "Merry Christmas to all" in now, in that I will be in Paris
> for the Holidays (Oh yes, I absolutely HAD to rub that in!)

At least in the United States, most people already got what they wanted for
Christmas...

Black people got Obama, and white people got O.J.

Have a great holiday everyone!

Sind...@pandaturion.mor.dr

Dec 23, 2008, 11:25:54 PM12/23/08

And a Merry Commercial Holiday to you too!.

Christmas is the time of year when we pry our fingers loose from our
neighbor's throat long enough to wish them "Peace on Earth, Good will
to men"

--Walt Kelly (pogoproximately)

--
Sindamor Pandaturion
[remove -remove- to reply]

Öjevind Lång

Dec 24, 2008, 7:53:51 PM12/24/08
"Morgoth's Curse" <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet

> On behalf of all past, present and future residents of the
> Tolkien newsgroups, I wish to invite you to the AFT/RABT reunion party
> to be held here from December 31-January 2 (in order to ensure that we
> include all time zones.)

Thank you, I shall certainly come. I'll bring some smoked eels, aquavit and
wild boar ham.

Öjevind