Doom

已查看 1,435 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Michael Hermes

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

I read that Pratchett said something like:
Men have tried several ways to fight the
evil: ........, but since doom no one
has tried a double-barreled shotgunn. I
think it works quite well.

Does anyone knows the exact text and the
situation Pratchett said this??

Many thanks.

--
Michael Hermes *** eMail:un...@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

Terry Pratchett

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

In article <6ko3oi$j2d$1...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>, Michael Hermes
<un...@rz114s1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes

>I read that Pratchett said something like:
>Men have tried several ways to fight the
>evil: ........, but since doom no one
>has tried a double-barreled shotgunn. I
>think it works quite well.
>
>Does anyone knows the exact text and the
>situation Pratchett said this??

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces
of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one
seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden
death, demon..."
--
Terry Pratchett

MegaMole

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

In article <kZvSAKAl...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes

My personal faves are the Railgun (slow but pretty, and packs a HUGE punch) and
HyperBlaster from Quake II, which spits rotating laser chain gun death with the
blood and the guts and the screaming and the groans and the gobbets of bouncing
flesh and the smell of scorching Strogg pain and ....

<dried frog pill>

I'm all right now.
Lobster.
Can I have my squidgy elephant, mummy?

<deep breath>
</dried frog pill>

--
MegaMole
AFPFiance of Sarah Sherlock

`morph

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

MegaMole wrote in message ...

>In article <kZvSAKAl...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
><tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <6ko3oi$j2d$1...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>, Michael Hermes
>><un...@rz114s1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes
>>>I read that Pratchett said something like:
>>>Men have tried several ways to fight the
>>>evil: ........, but since doom no one
>>>has tried a double-barreled shotgunn. I
>>>think it works quite well.
>>>
>>>Does anyone knows the exact text and the
>>>situation Pratchett said this??
>>
>>"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces
>>of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one
>>seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden
>>death, demon..."
>
>My personal faves are the Railgun (slow but pretty, and packs a HUGE punch)
and
>HyperBlaster from Quake II, which spits rotating laser chain gun death with
the
>blood and the guts and the screaming and the groans and the gobbets of
bouncing
>flesh and the smell of scorching Strogg pain and ....

I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket launcher
from
Quake. Of course, I always found deathmatch infintely more appealing than
single
player so the sight of my friends gibbing into a lovely [C]ascade of pieces
and knowing
that they could hear the rocket coming but couldn't get out of the way plays
a big part
in this affinity.

pan

James Watt

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket launcher
>frois affinity.

Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!
--
James 'Pixietoes' Watt

"Veni, Vermini, Vomui" I came, I got ratted, I threw up." - Jingo

http://www.scilly.demon.co.uk - e-mail= pixi...@cyberdude.com

Maurice Barnes

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

"`morph" <pa...@cam.ac.uk> annunciated to the gathered multitude :

>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket launcher

>fromQuake.

Nah, nailgun. You have had to have used one to appreciate it's
nuances. "Eat carpet tack you spawn of the devil!"

AFPCode 1.1 AB/NL$-UK d s+:-- a@24 UP++ R++ F++ h P-- OSD--: C+
M- pp L+ c B+ Cn-:+ PT+ Pu@51 5+ !X MT? eV+>V r/p-- y-- end
Maurice Barnes (Mr O.)- bar...@globalnet.co.uk
All Things Discworldly at http://www.lspace.org

K. Zeigler

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

>"`morph" <pa...@cam.ac.uk> annunciated to the gathered multitude :

>>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket launcher
>>fromQuake.

Ergo, thus spake Maurice:

>Nah, nailgun. You have had to have used one to appreciate it's
>nuances. "Eat carpet tack you spawn of the devil!"

Mmmmmmm, this is indeed true. Nothing after a hard day in the morgue
like going home, and putting up drywall, all the time thinking "You
know, if a scrag comes through the bay window, I'm set!!!!"
--
Kent Zeigler, All-Around Decent Fellow.

Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in
your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Thorin98

未读,
1998年5月30日 03:00:001998/5/30
收件人

James Watt wrote in message ...

<snip>

>Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
>BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!

I don't know if everyone knows this already (you probably do), but as a
little bit of trivia, the _BFG_ in BFG9000 does most certainly not stand for
Big Friendly Giant, but stands for Big F*c*i*g Gun!
For everyone who already knew that never mind, and for those who didn't
now you do! ;)

--
TTYL

Thorin98
"To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer"

Barry Vaughan

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

In article <kZvSAKAl...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <6ko3oi$j2d$1...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>, Michael Hermes
><un...@rz114s1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes
>>I read that Pratchett said something like:
>>Men have tried several ways to fight the
>>evil: ........, but since doom no one
>>has tried a double-barreled shotgunn. I
>>think it works quite well.
>>
>>Does anyone knows the exact text and the
>>situation Pratchett said this??
>
>"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces
>of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one
>seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden
>death, demon..."

I used to love the various Doom 'WAD' files that appeared on
the net for changing monsters, backgrounds, maps etc.

Perhaps someone could do an afp WAD with all the monsters
replaced by afpedants and only one weapon, the baseball bat. ;-)

Oh, and technically, the DOUBLE-BARRELED shotgun didn't
appear until Doom 2, so ...<many thuds and whacks reminiscent
of that scene from the Untouchables.

Silence..........>

Dear God, we paid for all this stuff ourselves,
so thanks for nothing - Bart Simpson
Ba...@samael.demon.co.uk

Denis Hackney

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

Barry Vaughan wrote:
> Perhaps someone could do an afp WAD with all the monsters
> replaced by afpedants and only one weapon, the baseball bat. ;-)

And cabbages, surely...

OLF,
Denis.
--
ThisEmailBelongsTo:DenisHackney-IfFoundPleaseReturnTo:paln...@groo.com
Look,ThereAreThreeKindsOfPeople-PeopleWhoMakeThingsHappen,PeopleWhoWatch

`morph

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

K. Zeigler wrote in message <3570A0...@tc.umn.edu>...

>>"`morph" <pa...@cam.ac.uk> annunciated to the gathered multitude :
>
>>>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket
launcher
>>>fromQuake.
>
>Ergo, thus spake Maurice:
>
>>Nah, nailgun. You have had to have used one to appreciate it's
>>nuances. "Eat carpet tack you spawn of the devil!"
>
>Mmmmmmm, this is indeed true. Nothing after a hard day in the morgue
>like going home, and putting up drywall, all the time thinking "You
>know, if a scrag comes through the bay window, I'm set!!!!"
>--

But my point was that (especially after you complete Quake) deathmatch
is far more fun and indeed the only thing I ever play. And gibbing your
mate in the next room, knowing that he can hear the impending rocket and
see the approaching lightsource but doesn't have enough time to do
anything about it is far more satisfying than the mear ratatat of a nailgun
will ever be. Besides, if you play with those who know what they're doing,
its rocket launcher or bust I'm afraid. With the nailgun you need to be
fairly close up and even the super takes a lot of shots to kill a fully
armoured
player. And as for the BFG - where's the fun in that? And its rubbish on the
grounds that (a) it takes ages to launch off a shot and (b) it uses up so
much
ammo that you normally only get about 2 shots. Nah, rocket launchers reign.

pan

ps I saw The Big Lebowski the other night - chalk up another success for
the Coen Brothers. If anyone hasn't seen it then do - its hilarious.

Loriba

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

In article <6kqed1$5v1$1...@bs33n.staffs.ac.uk>, G.C....@staffs.ac.uk
says...

> James Watt wrote in message ...
>
> <snip>
>
> >Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
> >BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!

My main problem with the BRG9000 is the amount of time that it actually
takes to fire it. It takes ages(1) for it to power-up and fire and by
that time, the target has moved - usually out of the way. Personally, I
much prefer the plasma rifle, it's far more accurate.

Loriba

--
Guardian of the Sacred CCG's.46% AFP Pure. Official
Member of the Gid Holyoake Harem. AFPTall.

Iwan Lamble

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

In article <6kqed1$5v1$1...@bs33n.staffs.ac.uk>, Thorin98
<G.C....@staffs.ac.uk> writes

>the _BFG_ in BFG9000 does most certainly not stand for
>Big Friendly Giant, but stands for Big F*c*i*g Gun!

I thought it stood for 'Big Fancy Guitar'

--
Iwan Lamble (too obscure...)

James Watt

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

In article <MPG.fdb52bec...@news.lspace.org>, Loriba
<lor...@lbathome.globalnet.co.uk> writes

>My main problem with the BRG9000 is the amount of time that it actually
>takes to fire it. It takes ages(1) for it to power-up and fire and by
>that time, the target has moved - usually out of the way. Personally, I
>much prefer the plasma rifle, it's far more accurate.

True it does take a while to power-up. Although thinnking about it I
reckon that the most satisfying weapon has to be the chainsaw,
BRRRRRRRRRRSQUELCHARRGHCRRRUNCH!! You could close your eyes and be in
the room with it. :-)

Barry Vaughan

未读,
1998年5月31日 03:00:001998/5/31
收件人

In article <6kqed1$5v1$1...@bs33n.staffs.ac.uk>, Thorin98
<G.C....@staffs.ac.uk> writes
>James Watt wrote in message ...
>
><snip>
>
>>Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
>>BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!
>
>I don't know if everyone knows this already (you probably do), but as a
>little bit of trivia, the _BFG_ in BFG9000 does most certainly not stand for

>Big Friendly Giant, but stands for Big F*c*i*g Gun!
> For everyone who already knew that never mind, and for those who didn't
>now you do! ;)

Or Battle Field Gun, which is, I think, the 'official'
version.

BJV

Stuart Painting

未读,
1998年6月1日 03:00:001998/6/1
收件人

In article <qhH7EGAT...@samael.demon.co.uk>, Barry Vaughan
<URL:mailto:Ba...@samael.newantispam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Thorin98 <G.C....@staffs.ac.uk> writes

> >I don't know if everyone knows this already (you probably do), but as a
> >little bit of trivia, the _BFG_ in BFG9000 does most certainly not stand for
> >Big Friendly Giant, but stands for Big F*c*i*g Gun!
> > For everyone who already knew that never mind, and for those who didn't
> >now you do! ;)
> >

> Or Battle Field Gun, which is, I think, the 'official'
> version.

Not according to the game documentation, no.

Doom (Doom 2, Final Doom, Ultimate Doom etc.) only ever refers to
it as the "BFG9000" without explaining what the "BFG" actually
stands for. I believe the Doom FAQ (distributed with later
versions of Doom) does offer "Big Fraggin' Gun".

Quake 2 calls it the "Big, uh, freakin' gun."

HTH

stuart

--
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci

J.L.Musgrove

未读,
1998年6月1日 03:00:001998/6/1
收件人

Barry Vaughan wrote:

> In article <6kqed1$5v1$1...@bs33n.staffs.ac.uk>, Thorin98
> <G.C....@staffs.ac.uk> writes
> >James Watt wrote in message ...
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >>Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
> >>BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!
> >
> >I don't know if everyone knows this already (you probably do), but as a
> >little bit of trivia, the _BFG_ in BFG9000 does most certainly not stand for
> >Big Friendly Giant, but stands for Big F*c*i*g Gun!
> > For everyone who already knew that never mind, and for those who didn't
> >now you do! ;)
> >

> Or Battle Field Gun, which is, I think, the 'official'
> version.
>
> BJV

Although it's *nothing* to do with pratchett, the BFG certainly doesn't
stand for the Big Freindly Gun (snigger).

JM

ppint.

未读,
1998年6月1日 03:00:001998/6/1
收件人

- hi; in afparticle, <kZvSAKAl...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
"Terry Pratchett" [our p'tel] kindly rehearsed:

> In article <6ko3oi$j2d$1...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>,
> Michael Hermes <un...@rz114s1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes
>>I read that Pratchett said something like:
>>Men have tried several ways to fight the evil:... ..., but since doom
>>no one has tried a double-barreled shotgun. I think it works quite well.

>>Does anyone knows the exact text and the situation Pratchett said this??
[>>(michael)]

>"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces
>of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one
>seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden
>death, demon..."
>
>(pterry)

- <g> true, sfaiaa; however, james blish did unleash SAC upon
the infernal city of Dis, manifest in death valley - and this
wonderful scene wasn't even the climax of the novel ! [a][b]

- love, ppint.
[to reply, please remove the "v" from the reply-to: line]

[a] - 2 ppoints for first full + accurate attrib. afposted.

[b] - SAC - strategic air command - merkin force of bombers
constantly ready to launch a nookuler strike upon the
soviet union in the defence of god, motherhood, apple pie,
*and* the purity of good old merkin boys' bodily fluids...
...see the film "Dr. Strangelove or: how I learned to stop
worrying and love the bomb"; or the novel of the same name,
by peter george; or the novel upon which the film was based,
_Two Hours to Doom_ (merkin aka _Red Alert_) by peter bryant
[- just to confuse matters a little further, peter bryant =
peter george <g>], for more on this select band of merkia's
best; and the strange paranoia re the pollution of good old
merkin boys' bodily fluids prevalent in the 50s & early 60s,
and to this day, in many parts of the benighted states...
--
"They're not corrupt; they're just pragmatic."
- gareth husk in i.m.t. 11:20 bst 16/5/98 (5/16/98 for merkins)

Adrian Hurt

未读,
1998年6月2日 03:00:001998/6/2
收件人

In article <LM+AZFAZ...@scilly.demon.co.uk> James Watt <pixi...@cyberdude.com> writes:
>>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket launcher
>>frois affinity.

I'd like to test this statement. I'll take the rocket launcher, you take
nothing, and we'll see who survives. :-)

>Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
>BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!

As others have commented, too slow-firing and too energy-hungry. For general
mass destruction, I prefer the plasma gun or the chain-gun. There's also a
certain style to any kills scored with the chainsaw. My favourite chainsaw
incident was in a deathmatch. Someone had just seen me get a rocket launcher.
I was trying to move away backwards so as to blast him without killing myself.
He was trying to stay in close to me to prevent that. Then I pulled out the
chainsaw. :-)

I prefer Duke Nukem 3D anyway. The shrinker and freezer are fun...

--
"Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

Adrian Hurt | JANET: adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk
UUCP: ..!uknet!cee.hw.ac.uk!adrian | ARPA: adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk

Sarah Sherlock

未读,
1998年6月2日 03:00:001998/6/2
收件人

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, ppint. wrote:

<snips aplenty>

> - <g> true, sfaiaa; however, james blish did unleash SAC upon
> the infernal city of Dis, manifest in death valley - and this
> wonderful scene wasn't even the climax of the novel ! [a][b]
>
> - love, ppint.
> [to reply, please remove the "v" from the reply-to: line]
>
> [a] - 2 ppoints for first full + accurate attrib. afposted.

<fx:frantic leaping up and down>
me! me!
<fx:pauses, wonders if someone beat her to it, thinks what the hell...>

It's from The Day after Judgement, the follow-up book to Black Easter!
And as I recall Dis was in Death Valley, a location that became very
accurately named for the people who got to actually try and bomb hell
(*not* a good move)

Sarah X
(go on, gizza ppoint)

ISOMA

未读,
1998年6月2日 03:00:001998/6/2
收件人

On Sat, 30 May 1998, `morph wrote:

>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket launcher

>from
>Quake. Of course, I always found deathmatch infintely more appealing than
>single
>player so the sight of my friends gibbing into a lovely [C]ascade of pieces
>and knowing
>that they could hear the rocket coming but couldn't get out of the way plays
>a big part
>in this affinity.

Hmm, I prefer Duke Nukem's freezer gun which lets you stop a whole
roomful then kill them slowly. Ideal for demons, or indeed colleagues :)

--
ISOMA (it's not a word really)
is...@man.compsoc.org.uk

ISOMA

未读,
1998年6月2日 03:00:001998/6/2
收件人

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, J.L.Musgrove wrote:

>> >I don't know if everyone knows this already (you probably do), but as a
>> >little bit of trivia, the _BFG_ in BFG9000 does most certainly not stand for
>> >Big Friendly Giant, but stands for Big F*c*i*g Gun!

As I recall id merely said that the B stood for Big and the G for Gun

parhum

未读,
1998年6月2日 03:00:001998/6/2
收件人

In article <Etx82...@cee.hw.ac.uk>, adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt)
wrote:

> In article <LM+AZFAZ...@scilly.demon.co.uk> James Watt
> <pixi...@cyberdude.com> writes:
> >>I'm afraid I have to disagree; nothing in Quake 2 beats the rocket
> >>launcher frois affinity.

> I'd like to test this statement. I'll take the rocket launcher, you take
> nothing, and we'll see who survives. :-)
>
> >Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
> >BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!
>
> As others have commented, too slow-firing and too energy-hungry.

the secret is to time it so you fire at *just* the right moment. tricky,
but oh *so* satisfying when you pull it off :)

theres a bfg faq around somewhere. tells you how to get the most out of
the gun. couldn't recommend it highly enough, even if i don't know the
url :)

> For general mass destruction, I prefer the plasma gun or the chain-gun.

^^^^^^^^^^
EH?!?!

that gun is terrible, for deathmatches at least, it is too feeble. use
/anything/ apart from it, except fr the buretta (sp?) and your fists unless
you have beserker :)

> There's also a certain style to any kills scored with the chainsaw. My
> favourite chainsaw incident was in a deathmatch. Someone had just seen me
> get a rocket launcher. I was trying to move away backwards so as to blast
> him without killing myself. He was trying to stay in close to me to
> prevent that. Then I pulled out the chainsaw. :-)

possibly even more fun is taking someone with the plasma rifle out using
the double barreled shotgun. the best dm level i've played, pcgamer.wad
gives you the super shotdun every time you respawn :)

> I prefer Duke Nukem 3D anyway. The shrinker and freezer are fun...

hmm :|

parhum, who once deathmatched for 24 hours <sad, twisted? me?>

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ co...@argonet.co.uk

jes...@innotts.co.uk

未读,
1998年6月2日 03:00:001998/6/2
收件人

On Sun, 31 May 1998 13:02:37 +0100, Loriba wrote in message
<MPG.fdb52bec...@news.lspace.org>:

>In article <6kqed1$5v1$1...@bs33n.staffs.ac.uk>, G.C....@staffs.ac.uk
>says...

>> James Watt wrote in message ...
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> >Qutie possibly, but for all round destruction I would pick up the
>> >BFG9000, very useful for working your way through busy supermarkets!
>

>My main problem with the BRG9000 is the amount of time that it actually
>takes to fire it. It takes ages(1) for it to power-up and fire and by
>that time, the target has moved - usually out of the way. Personally, I
>much prefer the plasma rifle, it's far more accurate.

Well I always liked the chainsaw and double-barrelled shot gun
(specially for deathmatch). Not because they're particularly effective
(although the shotgun ain't bad 8-), just cos that's the way I am.

Andy Brown
--
http://www.innotts.co.uk/~jester/ | Unsound Engineer to the MAS
AFP Code V1.1 AC$/Mu/E$ d--x@ s-:@ a- UP R>+ F h> P-- OSD:>- ?C M-

Void

未读,
1998年6月3日 03:00:001998/6/3
收件人

On Tue, 02 Jun 1998 22:02:17 GMT, jes...@innotts.co.uk wrote:

>Well I always liked the chainsaw and double-barrelled shot gun
>(specially for deathmatch). Not because they're particularly effective
>(although the shotgun ain't bad 8-), just cos that's the way I am.

Nah. The real *man's* weapon in Doom was the hunble shotgun. When
you take a DM opponent down with one of them, you feel really
*satisifed*. Doom II had the double-barrelled shotgun, but it was
crap over long distances.

Unfortunately, in Quake/Quake II the shotgun is crap - it's just
boring to fire. The double-barrelled shotgun is ok for melees, but
crappy for long-range standoffs. Railgun, anyone?

Void (who now sadly gets his arse whipped[1] on the campus network,
due to exams cutting into quality Quake II time)

[1] Well, metaphorically...

--
|--------------------[ Void <vo...@altavista.net> ]---------------------|
|------------[ http://homepages.enterprise.net/oyster/void/ ]----------|

LNR

未读,
1998年6月3日 03:00:001998/6/3
收件人

In article <3574aa21.42427315@sagw>, Void <vo...@altavista.net> wrote:
>Nah. The real *man's* weapon in Doom was the hunble shotgun. When
>you take a DM opponent down with one of them, you feel really
>*satisifed*. Doom II had the double-barrelled shotgun, but it was
>crap over long distances.

Well, I'll admit to being something of a Doom I purist, I much prefer
the gameplay in it to that of the 2nd game. For most purposes the
shotgun *is* the most useful weapon, it probably does the most damage if
you take how much ammo it uses and the availability of ammo into
account. The double-barrelled shotgun in Doom II is great in some
places, really useful for taking out, say, pinkbeasts in just one shot,
and for doing more damage on the larger monsters. It did tend to eat
ammo a little too quickly for my liking though.

>Unfortunately, in Quake/Quake II the shotgun is crap - it's just
>boring to fire. The double-barrelled shotgun is ok for melees, but
>crappy for long-range standoffs. Railgun, anyone?

I've not played either gaem much so I can't really comment, the railgun
does seem infinitely superior to the chain gun which is probably it's
closest doom equivalent.

--
"bruised up and roughed, all locked up in cuffs lnr
you wear your guilt like a badge, but money's no object, @

r...@greenend.org.uk

未读,
1998年6月3日 03:00:001998/6/3
收件人

jes...@innotts.co.uk writes:
> Loriba writes:

>> My main problem with the BRG9000 is the amount of time that it
>> actually takes to fire it. It takes ages(1) for it to power-up and
>> fire and by that time, the target has moved - usually out of the
>> way. Personally, I much prefer the plasma rifle, it's far more
>> accurate.

It's not exactly stylish though, is it?

> Well I always liked the chainsaw and double-barrelled shot gun
> (specially for deathmatch). Not because they're particularly
> effective (although the shotgun ain't bad 8-), just cos that's the
> way I am.

Can't stand the double-barrelled shotgun. Takes far too long to
reload between shots, and eats ammo too fast. The single-barrelled,
now, is much better - powerful, good rate of fire, plentiful
ammunition.

For deathmatch: rocket launcher, lots of free space and copious
ammunition. And Simon the Cyberdemon. E2M8 with a few modifications
- mostly to up the amount of firepower available - makes a great
arena.

0 个新帖子