Hi, people

Terry Pratchett

Jul 5, 1992, 4:02:13 PM7/5/92
to tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
If this works, it's because dwindera gave me painstaking intructions ('place
fingers on keyboard...KEYBOARD...it's that oblong thing...) and here I am,
maybe. Couple of points (I've been reading a few previous messages). My
33mhz 486 is no longer a goshwow machine, Dell having done their usual trick
of waiting until I bought it before dropping the price hugely. I keep
vaguely wondering what Macs are like, but the ones I've seen spend too much
time being friendly....Bravd and the Weasel were indeed takeoffs of Leiber
characters -- there was a lot of that sort of thing in TCOM. But I didn't --
at least conciously, I suppose I must say -- create Ankh-Morpork as a takeoff
of Lankhmar. Originally it was just Morpork, then Ankh just sounded
nice...hmm...I don't think those are too bad as inconsistencies over 13
books, especially since I could argue about one or two....I'm not happy about
the US covers, but they sell better with those than with Josh's, according to
Roc; peronsally, I think most of them are very poor and usually bear the
merest relationship to the text. Um. Can't remember any more. Farewell! I
must be going! (Hooray for Captain Spaulding....) Terry

>>>MATRIX version 1.19c

John Switzer

Jul 5, 1992, 5:59:35 PM7/5/92
In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk> tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
writes:

>If this works, it's because dwindera gave me painstaking intructions ('place
>fingers on keyboard...KEYBOARD...it's that oblong thing...) and here I am,
>maybe.

<<comments deleted>>

>I'm not happy about
>the US covers, but they sell better with those than with Josh's, according to
>Roc; peronsally, I think most of them are very poor and usually bear the
>merest relationship to the text. Um. Can't remember any more. Farewell! I
>must be going! (Hooray for Captain Spaulding....) Terry

I sort of like them - one of my joys when getting a new one (such as Reaper
Man - just picked it up!) is picking out who the characters are as I read
the book. Believe me, these covers could be a lot worse - a quick glance
at the SF racks in a B Dalton easily convinces me of this.

--
John Switzer | "They take you for a ride, run out of gas
| Most of the time they're a pain
74076...@Compuserve.com | In the yeah, yeah."
j...@netcom.com | The Forester Sisters - "Men"

Leo Breebaart

Jul 6, 1992, 4:02:59 AM7/6/92
Wow. Kinda unsettling to dash off a quick note to alt.fan.pratchett, and
then return after the weekend to find that Himself has read it and seen
fit to comment on it...

Of course, Terry and I are old, old friends, seeing how he signed my copy of
"Guards! Guards!" at the WorldCon in The Hague, as I'm sure he vividly
remembers. Ahem.

Anyway:

tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:

> I keep vaguely wondering what Macs are like, but the ones I've seen spend
> too much time being friendly...

True up until a few years ago, but not anymore, I think. The faster ones
still don't come cheap though...

> Bravd and the Weasel were indeed takeoffs of Leiber characters

Phew, glad that at least I got that right.

> But I didn't -- at least conciously, I suppose I must say -- create
> Ankh-Morpork as a takeoff of Lankhmar. Originally it was just Morpork,
> then Ankh just sounded nice...hmm...

Thanks for setting me straight. I really would have *sworn* it was a
conscious pun. Makes me wonder if there are many other places in your
books where us readers all think you are making devastatingly funny,
obscure in-jokes, when in fact you aren't at all...

--
Leo Breebaart (leo @ ph.tn.tudelft.nl)

mwl...@vela.acs.oakland.edu

Jul 6, 1992, 9:09:40 AM7/6/92
In article <204lg=p....@netcom.com> j...@netcom.com (John Switzer) writes:
>In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk> tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
>writes:
>>I'm not happy about
>>the US covers, but they sell better with those than with Josh's, according to
>>Roc; peronsally, I think most of them are very poor and usually bear the
>>merest relationship to the text. Um. Can't remember any more. Farewell! I
>>must be going! (Hooray for Captain Spaulding....) Terry
>
>I sort of like them - one of my joys when getting a new one (such as Reaper
>Man - just picked it up!) is picking out who the characters are as I read
>the book. Believe me, these covers could be a lot worse - a quick glance
>at the SF racks in a B Dalton easily convinces me of this.

As far as selling better goes, I suspect that the reason they sell better in
the US is because we've got ten times as many people to buy them over here.
Then again, perhaps it's simply because we've got a garish and disjointed
culture.

I'd also like to take this chance to say "Gee, wow, Mr. Pratchett himself
is on the net! Ooh, aah, can you sign my forehead..."

--
Michael Lucas mwl...@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Most auto accidents involve people with driver's licenses, so I tore mine up.

Peter da Silva

Jul 6, 1992, 8:27:27 AM7/6/92
>Couple of points (I've been reading a few previous messages). My
>33mhz 486 is no longer a goshwow machine, Dell having done their usual trick
>of waiting until I bought it before dropping the price hugely.

That's a basic rule of computer purchasing. You even described it in some
detail in "Good Omens", but didn't realise it applies to everyone: whenever
you actually buy a new computer it's obsolete within the month.
--
`-_-'
Have you hugged your wolf today? 'U`

Peter da Silva, Taronga Park BBS, Houston, TX +1 713 568 0480/1032

Rich Holmes

Jul 6, 1992, 10:35:07 AM7/6/92
Uh oh. If he's reading a.f.p, when's he gonna have time to *write*??

ObAngst: Probably the first message by me he'll ever read is one that
kinda sorta knocks "Reaper Man." And me a morris dancer too. Oh well.

--
- Rich Holmes - - - - - - - - - - - - - rsho...@mailbox.syr.edu -
WARNING: This .sig has been cruelly tested on animals.

Lindsay F. Marshall

Jul 9, 1992, 4:21:27 AM7/9/92
pe...@taronga.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>That's a basic rule of computer purchasing. You even described it in some
>detail in "Good Omens", but didn't realise it applies to everyone: whenever
>you actually buy a new computer it's obsolete within the month.

A month? It becomes obsolete at the same instance as the ink of your
signature on the payment becomes dry.....

L.
MAIL : Lindsay....@newcastle.ac.uk
POST : Computing Laboratory, The University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK NE1 7RU
VOICE: +44-91-222-8267
FAX : +44-91-222-8572

Moses

May 30, 2011, 12:49:43 AM5/30/11
to tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
It works :-)

Larry Moore

May 30, 2011, 6:18:24 AM5/30/11
On 30/5/11 12:49 AM, Moses wrote:
> It works :-)

Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)

--
E. O. Wilson noted, “As a species we are endowed with
Paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions, and

Nigel Stapley

May 30, 2011, 7:52:33 AM5/30/11
Larry Moore wrote:
> On 30/5/11 12:49 AM, Moses wrote:
>> It works :-)
>>

> Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)

But did you see the date on the post that Moses was replying to?

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>

Larry Moore

May 30, 2011, 1:16:02 PM5/30/11
On 30/5/11 7:52 AM, Nigel Stapley wrote:
> Larry Moore wrote:
>> On 30/5/11 12:49 AM, Moses wrote:
>>> It works :-)
>>>

>> Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)
>>

> But did you see the date on the post that Moses was replying to?

From the 90s. The Internet is amazing - amnesia when it's inconvenient
and otherwise, immortality (and the chance to be Hansardized unexpectedly.)

GaryN

May 30, 2011, 4:34:17 PM5/30/11
Larry Moore <shirleya...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 30/5/11 7:52 AM, Nigel Stapley wrote:
>> Larry Moore wrote:
>>>>

>>> Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)
>>>

>> But did you see the date on the post that Moses was replying to?
>>

> From the 90s. The Internet is amazing - amnesia when it's inconvenient
> and otherwise, immortality (and the chance to be Hansardized
> unexpectedly.)

But I've got the t-shirt - "I'm Immortal, So Far" therefore all the time I
can wear the t-shirt I'm Immortal. Stands to reason. Of course if I'm
buried in it there may be some cause for disagreement.

gary

--
"Send Lawyers, Guns and Money. The shit has hit the fan"

Warren Zevon

Larry Moore

May 30, 2011, 4:50:46 PM5/30/11

You would have joined the ages?

Lionel

May 30, 2011, 6:28:07 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:18:24 -0400, Larry Moore wrote:

> On 30/5/11 12:49 AM, Moses wrote:
>> It works :-)
>>

> Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)

Most recently, I was visited by a neighbour's cat, & his unfeasibly large
testicles. It turned out that his interest was sparked by my possession
of a large tuna can that still had some scraps left in it.

. | , w , "Some people are alive only because

GaryN

May 30, 2011, 8:13:52 PM5/30/11
Lionel <imag...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:18:24 -0400, Larry Moore wrote:
>
>> On 30/5/11 12:49 AM, Moses wrote:
>>> It works :-)
>>>

>> Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)
>
> Most recently, I was visited by a neighbour's cat, & his unfeasibly
> large testicles. It turned out that his interest was sparked by my
> possession of a large tuna can that still had some scraps left in it.

Do you have to have unfeasibly large testicles to be interested in tuna?
Mine are of average size, as with other bits, in so far as I know. Not had
any complaints in the last 28 years and there's been plenty of
opportunity..:-)

I like tuna, although I prefer it with mayonnaise and lettuce (from the
allotment), on wholemeal bread, preferably the SO's home made.

I'd go catch my own tuna as well but we're a bit short on them in Oxford.
The fish have got hacked off with all the University rowing teams upsetting
the river and have fucked off to more pleasant climes. Even the pike, who
will usually bite anything, have buggered off.

I worry about the Kingfishers and Cormorants. If all the fish have left
what are our feathery friends to eat?

Lizzy Taylor

May 31, 2011, 3:41:53 AM5/31/11
On 31/05/11 01:13, GaryN wrote:

> I'd go catch my own tuna as well but we're a bit short on them in Oxford.
> The fish have got hacked off with all the University rowing teams upsetting
> the river and have fucked off to more pleasant climes. Even the pike, who
> will usually bite anything, have buggered off.
>
> I worry about the Kingfishers and Cormorants. If all the fish have left
> what are our feathery friends to eat?

They will move on to the next easiest prey - students, and there are
plenty of them around Oxford I believe. When the students are out of
season they could make do with tourists.

Lizzy

Kevin Wells

May 31, 2011, 9:50:41 AM5/31/11
In message <4de49bc1$0$12166$fa0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
Lizzy Taylor <li...@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:

To make student hunting a sport, you should only use a long bow.

--
Kev Wells http://riscos.kevsoft.co.uk/
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ http://kevsoft.co.uk/AleQuest/

GaryN

May 31, 2011, 10:20:38 AM5/31/11
Kevin Wells <kevin...@talktalk.net> wrote in

> In message <4de49bc1$0$12166$fa0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
> Lizzy Taylor <li...@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 31/05/11 01:13, GaryN wrote:
>>

>>> I'd go catch my own tuna as well but we're a bit short on them in
>>> Oxford. The fish have got hacked off with all the University rowing
>>> teams upsetting the river and have fucked off to more pleasant
>>> climes. Even the pike, who will usually bite anything, have
>>> buggered off.
>>>
>>> I worry about the Kingfishers and Cormorants. If all the fish have
>>> left what are our feathery friends to eat?
>>
>>They will move on to the next easiest prey - students, and there are
>>plenty of them around Oxford I believe. When the students are out of
>>season they could make do with tourists.
>>
>>Lizzy
>
> To make student hunting a sport, you should only use a long bow.

Nah, just a walking stick. When a student riding a pushbike up the road
or pavement the wrong way approaches you there are two choices.

a: Stumble and 'accidentaly' shoulder charge them off their bike.
b: 'Accidentaly' thrust your walking stick into the spokes of the back
wheel.

I did manage to hit one with a CBR1000 once but that genuinely was her
fault. *Note for cyclists* Do not sail through red lights when someone
riding a 1/2 tonne motorcycle is turning across your path - it hurts, a
lot judging by the agonised screams. OTOH I didn't put the lamppost
there-> or build the wall there<-

Larry Moore

May 31, 2011, 11:06:59 AM5/31/11

I thought black umbrellas were the preferred stealth weapon?

Kevin Wells

May 31, 2011, 11:09:57 AM5/31/11
In message <Xns9EF69C14B535Bg...@212.23.3.97>
GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote:

>I did manage to hit one with a CBR1000 once but that genuinely was her
>fault. *Note for cyclists* Do not sail through red lights when someone
>riding a 1/2 tonne motorcycle is turning across your path - it hurts, a
>lot judging by the agonised screams. OTOH I didn't put the lamppost
>there-> or build the wall there<-

I nearly had one in Brighton with a NTV650 the pillock walked across the
road without looking, but I was not quick enough.

Useless Fact 02 In the artic the sun sometimes appears to be square.

Paul Jamison

May 31, 2011, 1:10:53 PM5/31/11

"Larry Moore" <shirleya...@gmail.com> wrote in message
A black umbrella can be lethal, even if it doesn't involve the pellet with
the poison[1][2].

[1] Cold War espionage could be strange at times.

[2] Or the vessel with the pestle. [3]

[3] Or the flagon with the dragon. [4]

[4] Or the chalice with the palace [5]

[5] Hey, I'm in one of *those* moods, okay!?

Paul

GaryN

May 31, 2011, 2:40:12 PM5/31/11
"Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> wrote in

It was a matt black CBR1000 if that's any help. I don't think that
"stealth" would be a suitable appelation.

> A black umbrella can be lethal, even if it doesn't involve the pellet
> with the poison[1][2].

I prefer a bush hat myself - admittedly the razor blades sewn into the
brim at the front are my own addition. Bit like the sharpened pennies
sewn into the brims of their caps by the Shamlegger Street Boys (c.f.
Thud). Never saw the point of sharpening pennies myself when some other
bugger is making razor blades.

> [1] Cold War espionage could be strange at times.

No offence but do remember that some *really* don't know what we lived
through.. Thankyou for reminding me that I'm nearly 50:-)

> [2] Or the vessel with the pestle. [3]

The vestal with the pustule?

> [3] Or the flagon with the dragon. [4]

The flogging with the drugging?

> [4] Or the chalice with the palace [5]

The choice with the palaise?

> [5] Hey, I'm in one of *those* moods, okay!?
>
> Paul

Nothing wrong with being in "One of those moods" I think most of us get
them occasionally. Just not many are able to admit it. Years ago there
was a bloody great war and those of us who had family involved caught
some of the backlash. We all try to do our best in a different society.

Call it throwback, call it whatever you like. Call it *LIFE*

John S. Wilkins

May 31, 2011, 6:59:55 PM5/31/11
GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote:

It's even worse when you use^H ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200GSF to hit a
student on a bike. Mine, I wasn't happy either - scratched my tank, he
did. But the Suzie was around 250kg dry. How much shit did you have on
your CBR exactly?
--
John S. Wilkins, Associate, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net

Larry Moore

May 31, 2011, 7:49:12 PM5/31/11

A little. I'm sure there were stranger incidents than <
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko > ,
but I nominate it for the Cold War Bonehead Award with the Bay of Pigs
fiasco as
close runner-up (though some of the CIA assassination attempts
on Fidel Castro deserve honourable mention.)

[2] ricin AIR.

Christopher Henrich

May 31, 2011, 10:19:35 PM5/31/11
In article <7OmdnaQMGOzl43jQ...@wightman.ca>,
Larry Moore <shirleya...@gmail.com> wrote:

To which L's murderers would reply, "You can callingk us bonehead,
tovarich, but he's still dead."

--
Christopher J. Henrich
chen...@monmouth.com

Lionel

Jun 1, 2011, 1:00:54 AM6/1/11
On Tue, 31 May 2011 00:13:52 +0000, GaryN wrote:

> Lionel <imag...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Welcome. Have some chocolate and mind the cat (he's boot-shy.)
>>
>> Most recently, I was visited by a neighbour's cat, & his unfeasibly
>> large testicles. It turned out that his interest was sparked by my
>> possession of a large tuna can that still had some scraps left in it.
>>

> Do you have to have unfeasibly large testicles to be interested in tuna?
> Mine are of average size, as with other bits, in so far as I know. Not
> had any complaints in the last 28 years and there's been plenty of
> opportunity..:-)

Mine also of average size, & I'm quite fond of tuna - hence the presence
of an (almost) empty tin in the bin when said moggy was visiting. IME,
women are even less concerned about testicle size than they are about
penis size. IMO, as long as everything works okay, they're not fussed
about the actual measurements.

> I like tuna, although I prefer it with mayonnaise and lettuce (from the
> allotment), on wholemeal bread, preferably the SO's home made.

That'd be fine with me too. My usual thing is seasoned tuna on toasted
rye bread, or sometimes a homemade marinara sauce on pasta.

> I'd go catch my own tuna as well but we're a bit short on them in
> Oxford. The fish have got hacked off with all the University rowing
> teams upsetting the river and have fucked off to more pleasant climes.
> Even the pike, who will usually bite anything, have buggered off.

I thought tuna were strictly a saltwater fish?

> I worry about the Kingfishers and Cormorants. If all the fish have left
> what are our feathery friends to eat?

Chips? Slow students?

Larry Moore

Jun 1, 2011, 6:48:02 AM6/1/11

It was regarded by even the Russians as rather nekulturny .

GaryN

Jun 1, 2011, 7:35:49 AM6/1/11
jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote in news:1k25s5d.1nt9en8pvz0wcN%
jo...@wilkins.id.au:

<snip>

> It's even worse when you use^H ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200GSF to hit a
> student on a bike. Mine, I wasn't happy either - scratched my tank, he
> did. But the Suzie was around 250kg dry. How much shit did you have on
> your CBR exactly?

Just me. Mine was one of the old FH models, built before aluminium was
discovered (well 1987 actually). Most of the superfluous junk (side
fairings, oil pressure gauge, helmet holder, etc) had been stripped off
over the years but they are still heavy brutes. Do come in at a shade
under 500kilos wet weight. Takes 2 people to pick one up off your broken
leg - I know that from experience:-(

John S. Wilkins

Jun 1, 2011, 8:07:24 AM6/1/11
GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote:

Friend had a Goldwing land on his arm, and he was trapped out of sight
from the road for six hours. He lost the arm.

Lesley Weston

Jun 1, 2011, 10:36:45 AM6/1/11
On 11-05-31 6:50 AM, Kevin Wells wrote:
> In message<4de49bc1$0$12166$fa0f...@news.zen.co.uk>
> Lizzy Taylor<li...@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 31/05/11 01:13, GaryN wrote:
>>

>>> I'd go catch my own tuna as well but we're a bit short on them in Oxford.
>>> The fish have got hacked off with all the University rowing teams upsetting
>>> the river and have fucked off to more pleasant climes. Even the pike, who
>>> will usually bite anything, have buggered off.
>>>
>>> I worry about the Kingfishers and Cormorants. If all the fish have left
>>> what are our feathery friends to eat?
>>
>> They will move on to the next easiest prey - students, and there are
>> plenty of them around Oxford I believe. When the students are out of
>> season they could make do with tourists.
>>
>> Lizzy
>
> To make student hunting a sport, you should only use a long bow.

And anyway, it sounds more like feeding crows than feeding kingfishers.

Lesley.

--
This address is real, but to reach me use leswes att shaw dott ca

GaryN

Jun 1, 2011, 1:30:28 PM6/1/11
jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote in

<snip>

> Friend had a Goldwing land on his arm, and he was trapped out of sight
> from the road for six hours. He lost the arm.

Still not sure if I wouldn't have rather lost the leg completely. Still
goes into uncontrollable spasms due to all the messed up nerves sending
false signals. Some specialists suspect that may be the reason for the
epileptic type fits I now suffer - brain trying to work out what the
incoherent signals mean=overload="Oh fuck *another hospital ceiling*, how
many drip lines am I plugged into this time? And how many days have I been
unconscious?"

So far I've managed a 6 day period unconscious, with 4 and 3 running close
behind. I even managed (hint of pride here) to have a fit in the court
that was trying me for breaking my bail conditions when I had a fit at the
SO's place and had to stay. Nothing more convincing than having the
defendant go into convulsions and the court having to call an ambulance.

That charge was dismissed.

Paul Jamison

Jun 1, 2011, 4:27:05 PM6/1/11

"Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> wrote in message

> A black umbrella can be lethal, even if it doesn't involve the pellet with
> the poison[1][2].
>
> [1] Cold War espionage could be strange at times.
>
> [2] Or the vessel with the pestle. [3]
>
> [3] Or the flagon with the dragon. [4]
>
> [4] Or the chalice with the palace [5]
>
> [5] Hey, I'm in one of *those* moods, okay!?

I'm a bit surprised that the movie reference went unnoticed.

Paul

jester

Jun 2, 2011, 6:37:41 AM6/2/11

Not unnoticed, just uncommented, due to it being that obvious.
However, I'm certainly not mentioning the Gateaux from the Chateau,
because things would just get silly.

--
Andy Brown
"Always try to do things in chronological order; it's less confusing

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jun 2, 2011, 8:27:17 AM6/2/11
On 02 Jun 2011, jester <use...@jester.nu> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:27:05 -0500, Paul Jamison
> <pjam...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>> A black umbrella can be lethal, even if it doesn't involve the
>>> pellet with the poison[1][2].
>>>
>>> [1] Cold War espionage could be strange at times.
>>>
>>> [2] Or the vessel with the pestle. [3]
>>>
>>> [3] Or the flagon with the dragon. [4]
>>>
>>> [4] Or the chalice with the palace [5]
>>>
>>> [5] Hey, I'm in one of *those* moods, okay!?
>>>

>>I'm a bit surprised that the movie reference went unnoticed.
>
> Not unnoticed, just uncommented, due to it being that obvious.
> However, I'm certainly not mentioning the Gateaux from the Chateau,
> because things would just get silly.

Quite right too. Or the pill by the till.

--
Dave
It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance

Lesley Weston

Jun 2, 2011, 9:39:33 AM6/2/11

Sorry! I couldn't think of anything to say about Danny Kaye funnier than
what you had already said, so I left it.

Paul Jamison

Jun 2, 2011, 11:24:47 AM6/2/11

"Daibhid Ceanaideach" <daibhidc...@aol.com> wrote in message
Oh, I like those.

GaryN

Jun 2, 2011, 12:19:22 PM6/2/11
"Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> wrote in news:is89vp$koh$1@dont-
email.me:

You forgot to light the candle with the handle.

jester

Jun 2, 2011, 12:34:58 PM6/2/11
On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 10:24:47 -0500, Paul Jamison

<pjam...@cox.net> wrote:

>"Daibhid Ceanaideach" <daibhidc...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On 02 Jun 2011, jester <use...@jester.nu> wrote:

>>> Not unnoticed, just uncommented, due to it being that obvious.
>>> However, I'm certainly not mentioning the Gateaux from the Chateau,
>>> because things would just get silly.
>>
>> Quite right too. Or the pill by the till.
>>
>Oh, I like those.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Allo_%27Allo!_%28series_2%29#Christmas_Special:_The_Gateau_from_the_Chateau>

and scroll down a bit to the dialogue excerpt...

--
Andy Brown
Goto, n.:

Paul Jamison

Jun 2, 2011, 1:59:33 PM6/2/11

"jester" <use...@jester.nu> wrote in message

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 10:24:47 -0500, Paul Jamison
> <pjam...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Daibhid Ceanaideach" <daibhidc...@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Quite right too. Or the pill by the till.
>>>
>>Oh, I like those.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Allo_%27Allo!_%28series_2%29#Christmas_Special:_The_Gateau_from_the_Chateau>
>
> and scroll down a bit to the dialogue excerpt...

I think my local PBS station showed episodes of "'Allo, 'Allo!" at one time.
I truly regret missing it.

Kevin Wells

Jun 2, 2011, 6:28:47 PM6/2/11
In message <slrniufeti...@angel.jester.nu>
jester <use...@jester.nu> wrote:

Listen very carefully I will only type this once, what about the Fallen
Madonna with the big boobies:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fallen_Madonna>

British by birth English by grace of God.

Larry Moore

Jun 2, 2011, 8:56:12 PM6/2/11

Hardly Rubenesque enough to be fallen; more Caucasian than authentic
Ashkenazi in skin tone, and having pleasant but unexceptional breasts -
obviously the title is an in-joke?

Lionel

Jun 2, 2011, 11:32:42 PM6/2/11

Speaking only for myself, it's such a standard STR that I didn't think it
was worth mentioning.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 3, 2011, 8:04:30 AM6/3/11
On Jun 3, 1:56 am, Larry Moore <shirleyallan1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/6/11 6:28 PM, Kevin Wells wrote:
>

> > In message <slrniufeti.rse.use...@angel.jester.nu>

> >           jester <use...@jester.nu> wrote:

> >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Allo_%27Allo!_%28series_2%29#Christma...>

> >> and scroll down a bit to the dialogue excerpt...
>
> > Listen very carefully I will only type this once, what about the Fallen
> > Madonna with the big boobies:
>
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fallen_Madonna>
>
> Hardly Rubenesque enough to be fallen; more Caucasian than authentic
> Ashkenazi in skin tone, and having pleasant but unexceptional breasts -
> obviously the title is an in-joke?

I think Wikipedia is wrong (gasp!) and in the story, the "official"
title of the painting, give or take differences of language (which is
a topic in itself in the show), was "The Reclining Madonna, by Van
Clomp", but who was he kidding. In real art, I gather that a topless
or nude lady is more usually called "Venus" in the title, so this is
probably a secret naughty picture of the type that great artists were
so often paid to produce, and I propose that people in the story got
excited about the boobies when referring to the picture not because
they were exceptional, but because they are on show at all - and
because it was called the Madonna - and maybe from when most people
hadn't seen the picture, only heard about it. And, of course, they
follow you round the room. (Are you enjoying that sandwich?)

Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other. But, things being
what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until she got
magnificated.

GaryN

Jun 3, 2011, 9:54:24 AM6/3/11
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in

<snip>

> Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
> picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other. But, things being
> what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until she got
> magnificated.

I always wondered about the "Fallen Madonna" bit. OK so she's a virgin
when she sprogs JC, not sure how that works either - surely sprogging
breaks the hymen which is usually the benchmark for 'virgin'?

But JC later had brothers and sisters. How can you be a fallen Madonna if
you've done your bit and then got on with life? "OK so I've borne the son
of God, now I'm going to do my own thing" seems reasonable to me.

How can she possibly fall when she never asked to be elevated in the first
place?

Larry Moore

Jun 3, 2011, 10:13:42 AM6/3/11

>>> Listen very carefully I will only type this once, what about the Fallen
>>> Madonna with the big boobies:
>>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fallen_Madonna>
>>
>> Hardly Rubenesque enough to be fallen; more Caucasian than authentic
>> Ashkenazi in skin tone, and having pleasant but unexceptional breasts -
>> obviously the title is an in-joke?
>
> I think Wikipedia is wrong (gasp!) and in the story, the "official"
> title of the painting, give or take differences of language (which is
> a topic in itself in the show), was "The Reclining Madonna, by Van
> Clomp", but who was he kidding.

This is the first I'd heard of 'allo 'allo and wonder if it'd be
funny for a non-English person?

Lesley Weston

Jun 3, 2011, 11:34:18 AM6/3/11
They don't seem particularly big, do they? We tried the show, but found
that it just wasn't funny.

Lesley

Robert Carnegie

Jun 3, 2011, 12:00:20 PM6/3/11

Depends. It's a bit like farce, with the central figure, cafe owner
Rene Artois, tolerating the German occupying army as customers (both
downstairs in the cafe and upstairs with the waitresses, yes really)
in return for black-market deals on scarce luxury food and fuel
supplies, presumably from the army. Then the Resistance press him
into converting latent antipathy towards the occupier into genuine
subversive activity, with quite a risk of being killed - in fact he is
soon the object of a faked Nazi firing squad and spends the rest of
the series publicly posing as his fictitious twin brother. Then
there's the business with the looted painting and other such goodies,
the clownish Gestapo agents, quite a lot of lacy underwear, a gay tank
captain's unrequited love for Rene, who, what with courting his dead
twin brother's (i.e. his) wife, both waitresses and the rival /
Communist/ Resistance leader (female), simply wouldn't have time,
there's a squad of shambolic Italians, a bed-ridden mother-in-law, a
dodgy old forger, a sly old undertaker, and a great deal of verbal
amusement, the summit of which is Crabtree the British agent whose
Fronch is abiminable ("Good moaning").

Oh, and two British airmen who theoretically are being smuggled out of
France but rarely get more than fifty yards from the cafe, in the
entire series, and don't understand French - fortunately the
Resistance leader (non-Communist) is bilingual. She plays this
beautifully.

It's intended as parody of a genre of WWII Resistance drama in
general, and possibly rather particularly the BBC's own previous show
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Army_%28TV_series%29> - oh, "with
a few cast members appearing in both series" - I don't know if I knew
that.

Larry Moore

Jun 3, 2011, 12:03:28 PM6/3/11

My first wife insisted that breasts that could not pass the 'pencil
test', could not be called 'large breasts'.

> We tried the show, but found that it just wasn't funny.
>
> Lesley

I'll take that as advisement, thanks.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 3, 2011, 12:04:36 PM6/3/11
On Jun 3, 2:54 pm, GaryN <g...@scaryriders.com> wrote:

> Robert Carnegie <rja.carne...@excite.com> wrote innews:d61bd934-8002-4a04...@y12g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
> > picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other.  But, things being
> > what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until she got
> > magnificated.
>
> I always wondered about the "Fallen Madonna" bit.  OK so she's a virgin
> when she sprogs JC, not sure how that works either - surely sprogging
> breaks the hymen which is usually the benchmark for 'virgin'?
>
> But JC later had brothers and sisters.  How can you be a fallen Madonna if
> you've done your bit and then got on with life?  "OK so I've borne the son
> of God, now I'm going to do my own thing"  seems reasonable to me.
>
> How can she possibly fall when she never asked to be elevated in the first
> place?

Maybe it means she fell over backwards. Balance can be a bit of a
challenge in late pregnancy, I gather. One of my sisters went over
pretty hard once in my company, crossing the road.

Of course there isn't much I can tell /you/ about falling over!!

jester

Jun 3, 2011, 12:37:34 PM6/3/11
On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:13:42 -0400, Larry Moore
<shirleya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 03/6/11 8:04 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
<REND>

>>> Hardly Rubenesque enough to be fallen; more Caucasian than authentic
>>> Ashkenazi in skin tone, and having pleasant but unexceptional breasts -
>>> obviously the title is an in-joke?
>>
>> I think Wikipedia is wrong (gasp!) and in the story, the "official"
>> title of the painting, give or take differences of language (which is
>> a topic in itself in the show), was "The Reclining Madonna, by Van
>> Clomp", but who was he kidding.
>
>This is the first I'd heard of 'allo 'allo and wonder if it'd be
>funny for a non-English person?

The BBC managed to sell it to at least 40 countries, including Germany.
Whether this has anything to do with the English airmen being the most
stupid characters on the show, I don't know. :-)

--
Andy Brown
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 3, 2011, 3:59:34 PM6/3/11
Oh, I forgot to mention Agent Crabtree's permanent cover identity in
Nouvion. "I am disgeesed as poloceman so I am oble to move aboot with
complate frodom."

Brian Howlett

Jun 3, 2011, 4:24:13 PM6/3/11

My favourite Crabtree Moment [1] - on hearing gunfire from the café:

"I was pissing by the door, when I heard a shit"...

[1] Because the older I get, the more childish I get...
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today

Robert Carnegie

Jun 3, 2011, 5:30:03 PM6/3/11
On Jun 3, 9:24 pm, Brian Howlett <news-spamt...@brianhowlett.me.uk>
wrote:

> On 3 Jun, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>
> > Oh, I forgot to mention Agent Crabtree's permanent cover identity in
> > Nouvion. "I am disgeesed as poloceman so I am oble to move aboot with
> > complate frodom."
>
> My favourite Crabtree Moment [1] - on hearing gunfire from the café:
>
> "I was pissing by the door, when I heard a shit"...
>
> [1] Because the older I get, the more childish I get...

I found another online - the town square gentlemen's lavatory was
accidentally demolished by tank with him in it taking a necessary
break from duties, he emerged from the wreckage remarking "There is
obviously no piss for the wicked."

Lionel

Jun 3, 2011, 7:57:27 PM6/3/11
On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:13:42 -0400, Larry Moore wrote:
[...]

> This is the first I'd heard of 'allo 'allo and wonder if it'd be funny
> for a non-English person?

It wasn't all that funny to this native English speaker, but then I
didn't much like Benny Hill, Are You Being Served, or Dad's Army either.

Chris Zakes

Jun 3, 2011, 8:51:21 PM6/3/11
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 05:04:30 -0700 (PDT), an orbital mind-control
laser caused Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> to write:

(snip)

>I think Wikipedia is wrong (gasp!) and in the story, the "official"
>title of the painting, give or take differences of language (which is
>a topic in itself in the show), was "The Reclining Madonna, by Van
>Clomp", but who was he kidding. In real art, I gather that a topless
>or nude lady is more usually called "Venus" in the title, so this is
>probably a secret naughty picture of the type that great artists were
>so often paid to produce, and I propose that people in the story got
>excited about the boobies when referring to the picture not because
>they were exceptional, but because they are on show at all - and
>because it was called the Madonna - and maybe from when most people
>hadn't seen the picture, only heard about it. And, of course, they
>follow you round the room. (Are you enjoying that sandwich?)
>
>Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
>picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other. But, things being
>what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until she got
>magnificated.

If you do a Google Images search for "madonna and child" you'll find
quite a few such pictures. Facial features and breast size seems to
vary with the preference of the artist.

(A friend of mine has suggested that such pictures were the artist's
method of getting his otherwise-modest model to show a bit more skin:
"My lady, your virtue and humility have inspired me; would you be
willing to pose for a 'Madonna and Child' that I have been
commissioned to paint?")

On the other hand, it's much more likely that people in earlier times
were less bothered by bare breasts--at lest when used for feeding
children--than are people of today.

-Chris Zakes
Texas
--

Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the
great mountains, and hear the pine trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves,

-"The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien

Paul Jamison

Jun 3, 2011, 9:09:27 PM6/3/11

"Robert Carnegie" <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in message

===================

Oh, I *really* regret missing this!

I'm from the country that gave the world "Hogan's Heroes". I somehow feel
the urge to apologize for that.

Paul

Lesley Weston

Jun 4, 2011, 9:23:15 AM6/4/11

Is that passing? I always took that as failing. Most encouraging.

Lesley.

Lesley Weston

Jun 4, 2011, 9:25:48 AM6/4/11
On 11-06-03 6:54 AM, GaryN wrote:
> Robert Carnegie<rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in
>
> <snip>
>> Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
>> picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other. But, things being
>> what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until she got
>> magnificated.
>>

> I always wondered about the "Fallen Madonna" bit. OK so she's a virgin
> when she sprogs JC, not sure how that works either - surely sprogging
> breaks the hymen which is usually the benchmark for 'virgin'?

Nah, she was a heifer: a young female who was sexually mature but had
not yet been bred.

> But JC later had brothers and sisters. How can you be a fallen Madonna if
> you've done your bit and then got on with life? "OK so I've borne the son
> of God, now I'm going to do my own thing" seems reasonable to me.
>
> How can she possibly fall when she never asked to be elevated in the first
> place?

And anyway, she's sitting upright in the picture.

Lesley Weston

Jun 4, 2011, 9:35:52 AM6/4/11
On 11-06-03 4:57 PM, Lionel wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:13:42 -0400, Larry Moore wrote:
> [...]
>> This is the first I'd heard of 'allo 'allo and wonder if it'd be funny
>> for a non-English person?
>
> It wasn't all that funny to this native English speaker, but then I
> didn't much like Benny Hill, Are You Being Served, or Dad's Army either.

Those three are among my favourites, but I still didn't like 'allo
'allo. Nobody else can say "knickers" to quite the same effect as Benny
Hill. /Are You Being Served/ went downhill once the Mr. Humphries joke
went from "is he or isn't he?" to "he definitely is" and the Mrs.
Slocombe joke went from "with a chequered past and still attractive in a
dim light" to "terrifying old bat". Though the Boy, Mr. Lucas, being
already at least 40 when the series began didn't seem to matter.

Chris Zakes

Jun 4, 2011, 11:21:45 AM6/4/11
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 20:09:27 -0500, an orbital mind-control laser
caused "Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> to write:

(snip)

>Oh, I *really* regret missing this!
>
>I'm from the country that gave the world "Hogan's Heroes". I somehow feel
>the urge to apologize for that.
>
>Paul

Hey, it was at least (marginally) better/more plausible that
"Gilligan's Island."

Paul Jamison

Jun 4, 2011, 3:14:45 PM6/4/11

"Chris Zakes" <dont...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 20:09:27 -0500, an orbital mind-control laser
> caused "Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> to write:
>
> (snip)
>

>>Oh, I *really* regret missing this!
>>
>>I'm from the country that gave the world "Hogan's Heroes". I somehow feel
>>the urge to apologize for that.
>>
>>Paul
>
> Hey, it was at least (marginally) better/more plausible that
> "Gilligan's Island."

True. At least "My Mother the Car" didn't become a worldwide phenomenon.

Paul Jamison

Jun 4, 2011, 3:17:14 PM6/4/11

"Lesley Weston" <brightly_co...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
For some peculiar reason our local PBS station continues to rerun and rerun
and rerun AYBS as infinitum, every Saturday evening. Programs come and go on
the PNS station, bu there it still is.

And nobody here broadcasts Benny Hill. Pity.

Larry Moore

Jun 4, 2011, 4:01:36 PM6/4/11

According to her mother's House Rule, young ladies who 'pass' the pencil
test must wear a supporting undergarment - those who don't, were excused.

GaryN

Jun 4, 2011, 6:07:38 PM6/4/11

34f69a...@y12g2000yqh.googlegroups.com
>> :

>> <snip>
>>> Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
>>> picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other. But, things
>>> being what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until
>>> she got magnificated.
>>>

>> I always wondered about the "Fallen Madonna" bit. OK so she's a
>> virgin when she sprogs JC, not sure how that works either - surely
>> sprogging breaks the hymen which is usually the benchmark for
>> 'virgin'?
>
> Nah, she was a heifer: a young female who was sexually mature but had
> not yet been bred.
>>
>> But JC later had brothers and sisters. How can you be a fallen
>> Madonna if you've done your bit and then got on with life? "OK so
>> I've borne the son of God, now I'm going to do my own thing" seems
>> reasonable to me.
>>
>> How can she possibly fall when she never asked to be elevated in the
>> first place?
>
> And anyway, she's sitting upright in the picture.
>
> Lesley.

So what; I'm sitting upright now. If I fall over in the next 10 seconds
does it make any difference to any of the women I've slept with? Some
I've helped, some I may not have helped: one is insane and another dead
(bacterial meningitis - her photo is still in my wallet and the SO
understands why). You pays your money and takes your chamces.

Is it actually necessary to believe in a virgin birth to encompass a
religion? Nobody seems to give much of a monkeys what happened to Mary
and Joseph afterwards. "Right lads, we've got the start of a story
here"

I ask merely for information

Paul Jamison

Jun 4, 2011, 6:16:30 PM6/4/11

> ...the PNS station...

You know, I really regret that typo. Some folks in this country think of PBS
that way.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 4, 2011, 10:19:21 PM6/4/11
On Jun 4, 2:25 pm, Lesley Weston <brightly_coloured_b...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 11-06-03 6:54 AM, GaryN wrote:
>
> > Robert Carnegie<rja.carne...@excite.com>  wrote in

> > <snip>
> >> Of course the Madonna surely /had/ boobies, and this isn't the only
> >> picture to show 'em, or at least one or the other.  But, things being
> >> what they were, she may have been a bit under-endowed, until she got
> >> magnificated.
>
> > I always wondered about the "Fallen Madonna" bit.  OK so she's a virgin
> > when she sprogs JC, not sure how that works either - surely sprogging
> > breaks the hymen which is usually the benchmark for 'virgin'?
>
> Nah, she was a heifer: a young female who was sexually mature but had
> not yet been bred.
>

> > But JC later had brothers and sisters.  How can you be a fallen Madonna if
> > you've done your bit and then got on with life?  "OK so I've borne the son
> > of God, now I'm going to do my own thing"  seems reasonable to me.
>
> > How can she possibly fall when she never asked to be elevated in the first
> > place?
>
> And anyway, she's sitting upright in the picture.

Officially "reclining", I repeat, but is she indeed in the act of
lying down, or of getting up, and either way, what comes after/before?

Nothing, if I at all correctly understand any part of Catholic
doctrine about Mary, which is odd stuff, from her sinless birth to the
conclusi on of her earthly life by teleportation into heaven, from
where she evidently pops back down again quite often to meet her fans,
but not to sign autographs.

In that version, I think the brothers and sisters are of spontaneous
origin as well and not the usual sort, but as far as I remember, they
only appear once anyway so that Jesus can do his "the family of the
first century is made up of friends" speech. Some authorities think
they're actually cousins, which avoids one paradox.

Chris Zakes

Jun 4, 2011, 10:35:41 PM6/4/11
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:14:45 -0500, an orbital mind-control laser

caused "Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> to write:

>"Chris Zakes" <dont...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 20:09:27 -0500, an orbital mind-control laser
>> caused "Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> to write:
>>
>> (snip)
>>

>>>Oh, I *really* regret missing this!
>>>
>>>I'm from the country that gave the world "Hogan's Heroes". I somehow feel
>>>the urge to apologize for that.
>>>
>>>Paul
>>
>> Hey, it was at least (marginally) better/more plausible that
>> "Gilligan's Island."
>>
>True. At least "My Mother the Car" didn't become a worldwide phenomenon.

I keep expecting someone to make a full-length movie out of it, like
they did with "Lost in Space" or various other shows from the '60s.

Lionel

Jun 4, 2011, 11:00:23 PM6/4/11

Either is a matter of personal taste. On a similar note; I remember a
conversation I had with a chap in Hong Kong, who opined that a great
virtue of Shanghai women was that they had nipples upon which one could
hang an umbrella. I assumed that that was hyperbole, as the alternative
was more than a little scary.

Paul Jamison

Jun 4, 2011, 11:17:32 PM6/4/11

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:14:45 -0500, an orbital mind-control laser
> caused "Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> to write:
>

>>"Chris Zakes" <dont...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 20:09:27 -0500, an orbital mind-control laser
>>> caused "Paul Jamison" <pjam...@cox.net> to write:
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> Hey, it was at least (marginally) better/more plausible that
>>> "Gilligan's Island."
>>>
>>True. At least "My Mother the Car" didn't become a worldwide phenomenon.
>
> I keep expecting someone to make a full-length movie out of it, like
> they did with "Lost in Space" or various other shows from the '60s.

They did make a movie version of "Car 54, Where Are You?" (which I remember
as a halfway decent TV show, really), so it's entirely possible. Give them
time to dig down that far.

Warwick

Jun 5, 2011, 2:39:39 AM6/5/11
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 16:01:36 -0400, Larry Moore wrote:

> On 04/6/11 9:23 AM, Lesley Weston wrote:
>> On 11-06-03 9:03 AM, Larry Moore wrote:
>

>>> My first wife insisted that breasts that could not pass the 'pencil
>>> test', could not be called 'large breasts'.
>>
>> Is that passing? I always took that as failing. Most encouraging.
>>
>> Lesley.
>>

> According to her mother's House Rule, young ladies who 'pass' the pencil
> test must wear a supporting undergarment - those who don't, were
> excused.

"Come in dear, pleased to meet you. Here, try this pencil."

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jun 5, 2011, 9:20:55 AM6/5/11
Listen vary carefully, on 03 Jun 2011, Robert Carnegie
<rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote zis only once:

<'Allo 'Allo>

> It's intended as parody of a genre of WWII Resistance drama in
> general, and possibly rather particularly the BBC's own previous show
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Army_%28TV_series%29> - oh, "with
> a few cast members appearing in both series" - I don't know if I knew
> that.

General von Klinkerhoffen[1] actor Hilary Minister formerly played
Hauptmann Müller. Since I never watched Secret War, I don't know if
anything was made of that. And one of 'Allo 'Allo's British airmen was a
Brussels police officer in Secret War, which just looks like a
coincidence. Likewise various actors who guested or had one off
appearances[2].

I remember reading a magazine article in which Jan Francis (Secret Army's
Resistance leader Yvette) saying that initially she found Vicki
Michelle's Yvette funny but after a while the joke wore thin, especially
since the real woman Yvette was based on was still alive. (Although
Michelle is certainly the most heroic and intelligent character in the
programme.)

It's interesting to read that the last episode of Secret War was a "Where
Are They Now?" affair set in the sixties, which was never broadcasted.
One wonders whether the 'Allo 'Allo' writers knew this when they wrote
the last five minutes of their finale, which jumped forward to the
present day.

[1]Or should that be "General! Von! KLINKERHOFFEN!!"

[2]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlySoManyEquityMembers

--
Dave
Demons run, when a good man goes to war...

Larry Moore

Jun 5, 2011, 9:22:23 AM6/5/11

I thought the Outer Limits, Andy Griffith, and Carol Burnett would be
worth having on DVD. I recommend the Sgt Preston movie if you can find it.

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jun 5, 2011, 9:27:29 AM6/5/11
On 04 Jun 2011, Lesley Weston <brightly_co...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Never understood the appeal of Benny Hill or AYBS[1]. Dad's Army was
good. 'Allo 'Allo was a guilty pleasure in our house; I still remember
one episode when Edith explained they couldn't contact the mayor, an
elderly man with grey hair, because "the old, grey mayor is dead!" Once
he'd stopped laughing, Dad said "That is *far* too good a joke to be in
this programme..."

[1]Don't even ask about Grace & Favour, evidence of the BBC's commitment
to recycling[2].

[2]I know, the Doctor Who fan can't really kvetch about the Beeb reusing
old programme ideas...

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jun 5, 2011, 9:35:49 AM6/5/11
On 05 Jun 2011, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidc...@aol.com> wrote:

> I remember reading a magazine article in which Jan Francis (Secret
> Army's Resistance leader Yvette) saying that initially she found Vicki
> Michelle's Yvette funny but after a while the joke wore thin,

Sorry, as I wrote correctly later, Kirsten Cooke's Michelle was the
equivilent of the Jan Francis character.

So Michelle's Yvette was not based on Yvette, Michelle was. I think I can
be excused mu confusion...

Lesley Weston

Jun 5, 2011, 10:21:45 AM6/5/11
Our religious channel has just started running Benny Hill. They do a
britcom spot every weekday between 5-6 pm, always the innocuous stuff
that Auntie does so well and ITV copies quite nicely [1]. My theory is
that a fifth columnist subversive suggested BH, and nobody bothered to
view them first. But we're not complaining, and I'd be grateful if
nobody forwarded this post to them.

[1] Or did, they seem to be failing now.

Paul Jamison

Jun 5, 2011, 12:01:01 PM6/5/11

"Lesley Weston" <brightly_co...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
Benny Hill on a religious channel. Love it!

(My lips are sealed.)

Paul

Larry Moore

Jun 5, 2011, 12:19:21 PM6/5/11

I hope they rebroadcast the skit with Benny as the publican, singing the
joys of the life, and upstage is his 'daughter' simultaneously drying
dishes and doing a bump_and_grind.

Every once in a while he did something that sticks, despite dynamite.

Larry Moore

Jun 5, 2011, 12:22:55 PM6/5/11

I would *not* have put that past her.

The only reason I was allowed to marry her daughter what that I told
them that I 'had no choice.' In a way, it was true. Not my fault that
they misunderstood.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 5, 2011, 4:09:11 PM6/5/11
On Jun 5, 2:35 pm, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidchened...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 05 Jun 2011, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidchened...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I remember reading a magazine article in which Jan Francis (Secret
> > Army's Resistance leader Yvette) saying that initially she found Vicki
> > Michelle's Yvette funny but after a while the joke wore thin,
>
> Sorry, as I wrote correctly later, Kirsten Cooke's Michelle was the
> equivilent of the Jan Francis character.
>
> So Michelle's Yvette was not based on Yvette, Michelle was. I think I can
> be excused my confusion...

I think I need some sort of diagram...

Cafe Candide is the serious one, where Lisa Colbert (Jan Francis...
really?), the resistance leader, and her war work, distract Albert
Foiret (Bernard Hepton) from carrying on an affair with his senior
waitress Monique (Angela Richards), who also sings to entertain German
customers, without his bed-ridden wife Andree ever finding out.

Cafe Rene is the silly one, where resistance leader Michelle Dubois
(Kirsten Cooke) distracts Rene Artoi s (Gorden Kaye, sic), from
carrying on affairs with /both/ waitresses (etc.), Yvette (Vicki
Michelle) and Maria (Francesca Gonshaw) - and Mimi (er, Sue Hodge) -
without his tone-deaf wife Edith (Carmen Silvera, repeat, Silvera)
ever singing to the German customers, while his bed-ridden mother-in-
law carries on an affair with the Resistance's forger Roger Leclerc
(Jack Haig), an extremely old boyfriend and possibly his (Rene's)
father-in-law, and later with his (Leclerc's) twin brother, see above
but played by a different actor, twice, solicits the local
undertaker's attentions - M. Alphonse (Kenneth Connor) - to her
ostensibly widowed daughter, and tries to avoid his professional
interest in herself.

Unlike Secret Army, hardly any of the characters in _'Allo 'Allo!_
died in the course of the series, athough some of the senior actors
did.

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jun 5, 2011, 6:04:38 PM6/5/11
On 05 Jun 2011, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2:35 pm, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidchened...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>> On 05 Jun 2011, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidchened...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I remember reading a magazine article in which Jan Francis (Secret
>> > Army's Resistance leader Yvette) saying that initially she found
>> > Vicki Michelle's Yvette funny but after a while the joke wore thin,
>>
>> Sorry, as I wrote correctly later, Kirsten Cooke's Michelle was the
>> equivilent of the Jan Francis character.
>>
>> So Michelle's Yvette was not based on Yvette, Michelle was. I think I
>> can be excused my confusion...
>
> I think I need some sort of diagram...
>
> Cafe Candide is the serious one, where Lisa Colbert (Jan Francis...
> really?),

Ah, she's *code-named* Yvette. If I'd called her Lisa, I could have saved a
whole level of unnecessary complication.

(Which would have been totally alien to the spirit of 'Allo 'Allo, so I
made the right decision.)

GaryN

Jun 6, 2011, 9:41:25 AM6/6/11
Chris Zakes <dont...@gmail.com> wrote in

(snip)
> On the other hand, it's much more likely that people in earlier times
> were less bothered by bare breasts--at lest when used for feeding
> children--than are people of today.
>
> -Chris Zakes
> Texas

Earlier times? My sister quite cheerfully breast fed my niece in front of
me, the missus and several others; no problem and nobody took any notice.
Conversation with tea and cakes just continued. Different culture, even
within UKia, but when in Rome...[1]

As to being bothered by bare breasts - why? Are you bothered by the
nipples on a dog or a pig? Tits are just tits. For the ladies in the
audience I will say that some are more attractive than others but, as with
all human interactions, that depends on the viewer. I personally don't
find blondes with big tits attractive (No chance for you Pammy Anderson).

People /pretend/ to be shocked by nudity but really they crave it.

It's no big deal.

gary

[1]Drive like a lunatic F1 pilot and ignore traffic signals

--
As a problem solving technique its main virtue was consistency; it didn't
work but at least it kept on not working, so you knew where you stood.

Tom Holt in 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

GaryN

Jun 6, 2011, 11:11:37 AM6/6/11
GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote in
<snip>
> People /pretend/ to be shocked by nudity but really they crave it.
>
> It's no big deal.
<snip>

Addendum. Nudity is no big deal unless you live in a very cold
environment. At that point warm clothes are a *REALLY* good idea.

If you want to climb Everest nude with no oxygen be me guest, we'll find
the corpse sometime.

Actually, upon consideration, is there a marketing opportunity here? "Be
the next Iceman <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/icemummies/iceman.html>"

"We implant a tracking device, fly you out there; leave you naked to climb
Everest. Payment (cash only) in advance"..:-)

There are probably some idiots who would actually go for it[1].

gary

[1]Forget 'probably'.

Larry Moore

Jun 6, 2011, 11:41:24 AM6/6/11
On 06/6/11 11:11 AM, GaryN wrote:
> GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote in
> <snip>
>> People /pretend/ to be shocked by nudity but really they crave it.
>>
>> It's no big deal.
> <snip>
>
> Addendum. Nudity is no big deal unless you live in a very cold
> environment. At that point warm clothes are a *REALLY* good idea.
>
> If you want to climb Everest nude with no oxygen be me guest, we'll find
> the corpse sometime.
>
> Actually, upon consideration, is there a marketing opportunity here? "Be
> the next Iceman <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/icemummies/iceman.html>"
>
> "We implant a tracking device, fly you out there; leave you naked to climb
> Everest. Payment (cash only) in advance"..:-)
>
> There are probably some idiots who would actually go for it[1].
>
> gary
>
> [1]Forget 'probably'.

Years ago, I hiked with a group who were in training to end to end the
Auyuittuq National Park to mark our, then, Bruce Trail maintenance
director's retirement. I don't know how many people were wise but she
had a probably fatal condition; she prepaid her medivac costs, made it
half-way through the hike.

She died with her hiking boots on.

Kevin Wells

Jun 6, 2011, 3:04:23 PM6/6/11
In message <Xns9EFCA4B8D1Cga...@212.23.3.97>
GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote:

>GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> wrote in
><snip>
>> People /pretend/ to be shocked by nudity but really they crave it.
>>
>> It's no big deal.
><snip>
>
>Addendum. Nudity is no big deal unless you live in a very cold
>environment. At that point warm clothes are a *REALLY* good idea.
>
>If you want to climb Everest nude with no oxygen be me guest, we'll find
>the corpse sometime.
>
>Actually, upon consideration, is there a marketing opportunity here? "Be
>the next Iceman <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/icemummies/iceman.html>"
>
>"We implant a tracking device, fly you out there; leave you naked to climb
>Everest. Payment (cash only) in advance"..:-)

Even better turn it into a reality TV proggy you're bound to get a few
fuckwits taking part.

--
Kev Wells http://riscos.kevsoft.co.uk/
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ http://kevsoft.co.uk/AleQuest/
ICQ 238580561
IF your nose runs and your feet smell it means your upside down.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 6, 2011, 9:18:01 PM6/6/11
On Jun 6, 4:11 pm, GaryN <g...@scaryriders.com> wrote:
> GaryN <g...@scaryriders.com> wrote innews:Xns9EFC956DEA741g...@212.23.3.97:

> <snip>> People /pretend/ to be shocked by nudity but really they crave it.
>
> > It's no big deal.
>
> <snip>
>
> Addendum.  Nudity is no big deal unless you live in a very cold
> environment.  At that point warm clothes are a *REALLY* good idea.
>
> If you want to climb Everest nude with no oxygen be me guest, we'll find
> the corpse sometime.
>
> Actually, upon consideration, is there a marketing opportunity here?  "Be
> the next Iceman  <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/icemummies/iceman.html>"
>
> "We implant a tracking device, fly you out there; leave you naked to climb
> Everest.  Payment (cash only) in advance"..:-)
>
> There are probably some idiots who would actually go for it[1].

Or already have,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/sep/27/
mounteverest.climbingholidays>
Wangford is the name of the writer, not the place photographed -
unless by coincidence.

Geoff Field

Jun 7, 2011, 6:18:06 AM6/7/11
Robert Carnegie wrote:
[huge snippage]

> Nothing, if I at all correctly understand any part of Catholic
> doctrine about Mary, which is odd stuff, from her sinless birth to the

"sinless birth"?

What, pray tell, distinguishes a "sinless" birth from another?

Geoff (unlurking for a point of curiousity)

Rgemini

Jun 7, 2011, 6:56:30 AM6/7/11
Theologians and power-mongers mostly. And medieval thinking.

Rgemini

Larry Moore

Jun 7, 2011, 8:05:18 AM6/7/11

Another related question is why, since Judaism and Christianity share
the Old Testament saga - that Christians are sin-obsessed and Jews
aren't? Unless I've been mislead, only Christian children are born in
sin (WATM?)

Chris Zakes

Jun 7, 2011, 8:16:48 AM6/7/11
On 06 Jun 2011 13:41:25 GMT, an orbital mind-control laser caused
GaryN <ga...@scaryriders.com> to write:

>Chris Zakes <dont...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>(snip)
>> On the other hand, it's much more likely that people in earlier times
>> were less bothered by bare breasts--at lest when used for feeding
>> children--than are people of today.
>>
>> -Chris Zakes
>> Texas
>
>Earlier times? My sister quite cheerfully breast fed my niece in front of
>me, the missus and several others; no problem and nobody took any notice.
>Conversation with tea and cakes just continued. Different culture, even
>within UKia, but when in Rome...[1]

As did my mom with my younger brothers. She used to nurse them and
read Dr. Doolittle stories to us. (Maybe *that's* where I got my love
of reading! <G>)

>As to being bothered by bare breasts - why? Are you bothered by the
>nipples on a dog or a pig? Tits are just tits. For the ladies in the
>audience I will say that some are more attractive than others but, as with
>all human interactions, that depends on the viewer. I personally don't
>find blondes with big tits attractive (No chance for you Pammy Anderson).

<shrug> In the past few years I've heard talk of passing laws to
specifically allow breastfeeding in public places, because the
Illiterates for Decency (or some such organization) has been trying to
get it banned.

-Chris Zakes
Texas
--

Butterflies are not insects, they are self-propelled flowers.

-Virginia Heinlein

GaryN

Jun 7, 2011, 8:47:55 AM6/7/11

> On 07/6/11 6:18 AM, Geoff Field wrote:
>> Robert Carnegie wrote:
>> [huge snippage]
>>> Nothing, if I at all correctly understand any part of Catholic
>>> doctrine about Mary, which is odd stuff, from her sinless birth to the
>>
>> "sinless birth"?
>>
>> What, pray tell, distinguishes a "sinless" birth from another?
>>
>> Geoff (unlurking for a point of curiousity)
>>

> Another related question is why, since Judaism and Christianity share
> the Old Testament saga - that Christians are sin-obsessed and Jews
> aren't? Unless I've been mislead, only Christian children are born in
> sin (WATM?)

We're not born in sin; we just practice harder..:-)

I'm technically a Christian, wot wiv being Christened, (I had no say in the
matter) but under my own steam I'm an Atheist. Similar for the SO, she was
Christened but is a Buddhist.

Does that make us lapsed Christians, flawed Christians, or just people who
didn't have a choice forty something years ago and chose a different path?

gary

GaryN

Jun 7, 2011, 9:06:01 AM6/7/11
Chris Zakes <dont...@gmail.com> wrote in

<snip>

> <shrug> In the past few years I've heard talk of passing laws to
> specifically allow breastfeeding in public places, because the
> Illiterates for Decency (or some such organization) has been trying to
> get it banned.
>
> -Chris Zakes
> Texas

The problem is that's the point where people start wearing white hoods and
shouting "Burn the witch". Don't know why, just seems to be inbuilt. "You
passed a law that I don't agree with so I'll take the law into my own
hands". At which (witch?) point the law becomes irrelevant.

gary

Larry Moore

Jun 7, 2011, 9:13:03 AM6/7/11
On 07/6/11 8:47 AM, GaryN wrote:

> Does that make us lapsed Christians, flawed Christians, or just people who
> didn't have a choice forty something years ago and chose a different path?
>
> gary

The third, I think.

Lesley Weston

Jun 7, 2011, 10:09:52 AM6/7/11
Whether or not the mother breast-feeds in public, apparently.

Nigel Stapley

Jun 7, 2011, 12:03:45 PM6/7/11
GaryN wrote:

> I'm technically a Christian, wot wiv being Christened, (I had no say in the
> matter) but under my own steam I'm an Atheist. Similar for the SO, she was
> Christened but is a Buddhist.
>
> Does that make us lapsed Christians, flawed Christians, or just people who
> didn't have a choice forty something years ago and chose a different path?

It makes you grown-ups.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jun 7, 2011, 1:12:55 PM6/7/11
On 2011-06-07 06:18:06 -0400, Geoff Field said:

> Robert Carnegie wrote:
> [huge snippage]
>> Nothing, if I at all correctly understand any part of Catholic
>> doctrine about Mary, which is odd stuff, from her sinless birth to the
>
> "sinless birth"?
>
> What, pray tell, distinguishes a "sinless" birth from another?

In case anyone actually cares:

Traditional Christian doctrine -- that is, Catholicism and most but not
all other Christian sects -- is that the sin of disobedience to God
that Adam and Eve committed taints all their descendants, so that every
child is born carrying the burden of original sin.

Catholic dogma, however, holds that when God started planning the
Incarnation, He decided that He needed a woman completely without any
trace of sin to be His mother, as no ordinary woman would be worthy,
and therefore arranged for Mary to be born free of original sin. This
was the Immaculate Conception. Mary was the first human being born of
woman to be untainted by original sin; Jesus was the second (and last).
(I specify "born of woman" to avoid arguments about Adam and Eve
themselves.)

Just why God could cause one immaculate conception, but couldn't free
the entire species of original sin without going to the trouble of
being incarnated and crucified as a blood sacrifice, is not clear to
me. I suspect it's officially a Mystery. The Church likes Mysteries.

--
How to Prosper During the Coming Zombie Apocalypse -- almost 6,000
words of bad financial advice from Nathan Archer, now available from

Robert Carnegie

Jun 7, 2011, 1:16:26 PM6/7/11

I'm not a left-footer myself, as some put it, but this point is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception>
and, being Catholic, it's complicated.

But, think "Harry Potter perpetually magically protected by his
mother's self-sacrifice". Sort of. A bit.

GaryN

Jun 7, 2011, 1:41:24 PM6/7/11
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in

Isn't there a bit in the bible somewhere when someone, possibly God,
says "Go forth and multiply"? I seem to remember something along those
lines (it's been a while since I read any of it).

Now unless my biology is equally rusty that basically means "Get out
there and shag yourselves silly" which, extending on shaky logic, means
that sex isn't sinful because the Bible tells us to do it. That's my
argument and I'm enthusiastically sticking to it.

So in fact you can't have a sinful birth on account of holy edict; or
whatever it's called. So, extending shaky logic a bit further, you
can't have a sinless birth on account of "sin" being required to arrange
the birth. Except it's not sin 'cos God gave the orders, therefore no
birth is either sinful or sinless.

That's either absolutely well reasoned or a load of codswallop. Or it
could be both[1]

gary

[1]I thought I'd get that one in before anyone else (Fnar Fnar).

Nigel Stapley

Jun 7, 2011, 2:50:45 PM6/7/11
GaryN wrote:

> Isn't there a bit in the bible somewhere when someone, possibly God,
> says "Go forth and multiply"?

I suspect this was the bowdlerised version.

Message has been deleted

GaryN

Jun 7, 2011, 4:27:59 PM6/7/11
Nigel Stapley <un...@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in news:4t-
dnfI9A8me7nPQn...@brightview.co.uk:

> GaryN wrote:
>

>> Isn't there a bit in the bible somewhere when someone, possibly God,
>> says "Go forth and multiply"?
>
> I suspect this was the bowdlerised version.

It's over 30 years since I last read any part of the damn book but if
you're suggesting that what God actually told Adam and Eve to do was "Fuck
off out of my garden" then yes, it's the Bowlderised version.

This does not refute my extremely tenuous explanation for why you can't
have either sinful or non-sinful births:-)

Pro and Con arguments as to my logic are invited. Mostly because they'll
turn up anyway:-)

gary

It is loading more messages.