Chomsky gets creamed by historian Dean Acheson

travb...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2006, 9:34:19 AM10/16/06
Someone just e-mailed me this:

My favourite Chomsky moment is something I heard on the net. During a
speech mentioning Cuba, Chomsky was waxing lyrical about JFK and Dean
Acheson in his usual manner. When questions from the audience were
introduced, up stood Arthur Schlesinger Jr - the historian who worked
extensively with JFK in his administration and worked on all the Cuban
projects - who tore him apart on every point. Schlesinger was right and
I'd read all the material Chomsky was supposed to be quoting from,
Chomsky was way off and was flapping like a fool.

Anyone know where and when this speech happened? Any details they can
provide?

travb...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2006, 10:58:25 AM10/16/06
More info:

...The Chomsky speech was at somewhere like the "Kennedy centre"? Or
some such Kennedy related college probably in Boston, where Schlesinger
was an inhouse professor. I've had a look for it on audio but can't
find it now. Schlesinger's opening gambit was something like "I've
heard a lot of things here tonight which I don't agree with and haven't
paid much attention to, but when I hear the name of Jack Kennedy my
ears pick up". Before bickering with Chomsky about Acheson's role in
the Cuban missile crisis (at least I think it was that - it was some
time ago). Schlesinger's politics may be contentious but he's not a
liar, and he's a fastidious chronicler of detail - Chomsky didn't
really know what he was on about.

...Sorry to double post...

I also posted this question on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Noam_Chomsky#Dean_Acheson_and_Chomsky

The World Wide Wade

Oct 16, 2006, 10:11:17 PM10/16/06
In article
<1161005659.4...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
travb...@yahoo.com wrote:

Well you heard it on the net, right? Find it, get back to us, and
post a URL.