Bookmarks disappeared???????

Newfdog

Apr 25, 2006, 6:06:26 PM4/25/06
Hi all....... My firefox bookmarks have completely disappeared. I ran
the profile manager and only one profile was shown. I checked in
application data etc. etc and found the file bookmarks.html and it
contained only the default bookmarks. Anyone know what might have
happened here? Fortunately this was a new setup and I only had to
recreate about 25 bookmarks but I would like to know what happened.

I exported the new bookmarks file to another folder and I assume if I
have another problem I need only paste this file into the proper folder
and my bookmarks will reappear. Is this correct?

thanks
Newfdog

gwtc

Apr 25, 2006, 6:34:06 PM4/25/06
Newfdog wrote:

you can do one of three ways. You can import the file, from the
bookmark manager.

Or, you can replace the old bookmarks.html file with the new one,
which are contained in your profile.

Another option. If you're using the newer version of FF [1.5+], then
there is a backup copy created for several days. Just close FF, and
in your profile is a directory called bookmarkbackups. Just copy the
one that is the biggest to the main profile directory and rename it to
bookmarks.html

--
Things to Ponder about: Why do people point to their wrist when asking
for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the

Newfdog

Apr 25, 2006, 6:57:28 PM4/25/06
gwtc wrote:
> Newfdog wrote:
>
>> Hi all....... My firefox bookmarks have completely disappeared. I ran
>> the profile manager and only one profile was shown. I checked in
>> application data etc. etc and found the file bookmarks.html and it
>> contained only the default bookmarks. Anyone know what might have
>> happened here? Fortunately this was a new setup and I only had to
>> recreate about 25 bookmarks but I would like to know what happened.
>>
>> I exported the new bookmarks file to another folder and I assume if I
>> have another problem I need only paste this file into the proper
>> folder and my bookmarks will reappear. Is this correct?
>>
>> thanks
>> Newfdog
> you can do one of three ways. You can import the file, from the
> bookmark manager.
>
> Or, you can replace the old bookmarks.html file with the new one, which
> are contained in your profile.
>
> Another option. If you're using the newer version of FF [1.5+], then
> there is a backup copy created for several days. Just close FF, and in
> your profile is a directory called bookmarkbackups. Just copy the one
> that is the biggest to the main profile directory and rename it to
> bookmarks.html

ok....... cool. I just had a look for those backups and they are there.
I could have saved myself some work if I had known this. Any idea what
might have happened to the bookmarks file?

thanks
Newfdog