Jimmy Page

1 view

juan...@yahoo.com

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

I know Jimmy Page played the guitar and the tambourine in the Kinks`
first LP, and also wrote "Revenge" with Ray. That was before he join the
Yardbirds, but anyone knows exactly which are the songs he played?
Thanks.

& I'm not

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

juan...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I know Jimmy Page played the guitar and the tambourine in the Kinks`
> first LP,
*********
does anybody know if this is really true? the rumor has been around for
ever butt i don't relly believe that he recorded dave's guitar solos
like i've heard.
anybody know the real skinny?
--
__________________________________
/ / \

bob...@erols.com

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

juan...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I know Jimmy Page played the guitar and the tambourine in the Kinks`
> first LP, and also wrote "Revenge" with Ray. That was before he join the
> Yardbirds, but anyone knows exactly which are the songs he played?

Whatever guitar Jimmy Page played with the Kinks was rhythm guitar,
doubling up Ray's parts. (I'm not sure which songs, though.) He didn't play
the solo on "You Really Got Me", though, or anything else like that. It's
just a popular misconception. And the Page who co-wrote "Revenge" was Larry
Page, one of the Kinks' managers.

-- Bob G.

Kinksfan

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

I have heard Ray say that Jimmy Page played 12-string guitar on "I'm a Lover
Not a Fighter" and tamborine or guitar on "Long Tall Shorty." As for the
"Revenge" reference, Jimmy didn't write, but Larry helped Ray, as was earlier
noted. A little none fact is that Jimmy Page recorded a solo single called "She
Just Satisfies" based on the "Revenge" riff. I've never heard it, but it is out
there somewhere.

Anthony

IdesMar

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

>anybody know the real skinny?

okay, from the book I use alot, I beingself, idesmar, this is the so-called
skinny
I am against quoting books line for line, but the fine book referenced will
probably benefit , so I basically will give it to you anyway, from pg. 37 of
"Well Respected Men", the English book by Neville Marten and Jeffrey Hudson...
"A common myth tht has sprung up over the years concerns Dave's solo. Jimmy
Page, the top London session guitarist of the day who later joined the
Yardbirds and thereafter formed the supergroups Led Zeppelin, was known to have
sessioned on thousands of pop records. This was often fue to the youth and
inexperience of new bands, or simply because they couldn't actually play. Page
is known to have worked on Kinks sessions and this has led to many saying he
took the solos on the early records. Ray's description of that session- "If
Dave never plays another note, his performance on You Really Got Me will always
give him a secial place among guitar players"-would seem to dispel such talk
once and for all."

Also, I always forget the name of the book by Savage, maybe it is called a
Kinks pictorial, but you will find some in this book about the matter.

Gonzosd

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

In a Trouser Press magazine interview 9/77 w/Dave Schulps- (edited to just the
section on the Kinks)

TP: I heard Shel Talmy used to keep you around Who sessions and Kink sessions,
just in case you were needed, without really planning to use you in advance.
Page: Well, I was on "Can't Explain" and on the B-side (Bald Headed Woman)
(the Who's version)
you can hear some fuzzy guitar coming through, which is me
TP: And you played rhythm on "Can't Explain"?
Page: Yeah, pretty much. Little bits here and there.
TP: You co-wrote "Revenge" with Ray Davies
Page: No
TP: Well, you were credited with writing "Revenge" with Ray Davies.
Page: Was I? That's good (laughs) . There is some justice in this world after
all. Ray Davies said
things like "He wasn't anywhere near our sessions, he played tambourine." I
never played tambourine
on the damned records, I played guitar. But I didn't play on "You Really Got
Me" and that's what pisses him off, so he uses that as his main contention.
(Wrong both of you! Larry Page)
TP: But you said many times you didn't play on YRGM.
Page: I didn't. I played on subsequent records.
TP: Why, after Dave had created an amazing sound like on YRGM did they need to
call you in to play guitar?
Page: On the album it's more apparent. There are a few little bits and pieces
that come in where I'm
just there. That's where I was at.
TP: But you played on subsequent singles like "All Day and all of the Night"?
Page: Right. There's more than that, though. I don't know their discography,
but there were bits of feedback on "I Need You" that I can remember.
TP: Was Dave playing on these?
Page: Dave was playing as well, but Ray wasn't playing. Don't forget, they
had a session pianist and
a session drummer. If you really want to be silly about it, you should do an
article about their session drummer than their session guitarist, because they
carried on with a session drummer far longer than they did with a session
guitarist.
TP: But Mick's a great drummer.
Page: (nods in agreement) But the whole point is that they were the ones who
started getting nasty about things. I wasn't a public voice. There was one
group in England who really got smashed to pieces in the press because they'd
used session musicians on their records.
TP: Love Affair?
Page: That's right, Steve Ellis. That vibe was going around at the time.
consequently, Ray wanted to squash all rumor that there had been session
musicians on the records, and so who was going to come under the hammer but me.
It doesn't matter, it just shows where he was at. I always thought the Kinks
were alright , anyway, as far as what they did.
TP: Did Pete Quaife play all the bass on their records?
Page: Yeah. I don't know why there's such a fascination with the Kinks,
though. Every time I'm interviewed, people still want to know about the Kinks
more than anything else. It's just weird.
TP: I guess a lot of people love them and are still interested

Chuck- In other articles he has other comments that reflect a faulty memory or
too many sessions
(kind of like our buddy Dave!)

>I know Jimmy Page played the guitar and the tambourine in the Kinks`
first
>LP, and also wrote "Revenge" with Ray. That was before he join the
Yardbirds,
>but anyone knows exactly which are the songs he played?

Thanks.

Gonzosd

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

In article <19971128172...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, kink...@aol.com
(Kinksfan) writes:

>A little none fact is that Jimmy Page recorded a solo single called "She
Just
>Satisfies" based on the "Revenge" riff. I've never heard it, but it is
>out
there somewhere.

In the same Trouser Press interview:

Jimmy Page: "It was tongue-in-cheek, let's put it that way. It wasn't the same
as "Revenge." By that time, Ray davies had already beeen hullaballooing, so I
thought "Alright, I'll have a go....

Chuck ( i really have things to do, honest)