Head boy and head girl

Amy Cheng

Jul 1, 2001, 11:02:53 AM7/1/01
Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will become
head boy and head girl?

I definitely want Hermione Granger as Head girl. I think she'll do an
excellent job. As for Head boy I'm not too sure. I don't really want Harry
or Ron as head boy. Maybe Neville Longbottom. I'm not sure why. But I think
it will do him some good :)
I think Hermione Granger WILL be head girl and I think Malfoy will be Head
boy. I'm not sure why tho.
What do u guys think?

Luv,
Amy

Maya

Jul 3, 2001, 1:17:22 PM7/3/01

"Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message

I absolutely agree about Harry being head boy. It would be too predictable,
especially given that his parents were head boy and girl when they were at
Hogwarts. (I don't think J.K.R. would make Harry head boy, since she is not
a predictable writer - this is one of the many things I love about the
books; it makes them so engrossing) I think you could be right about
Hermione and Malfoy, although I'd like to see non 'limelight' characters as
heads of the school.

Maya

Hail to the Sun God
He's a real fun God
Ra! Ra! Ra!

Tim

Jul 3, 2001, 1:34:26 PM7/3/01

Amy Cheng wrote in message <3b41c...@mercury.planet.net.au>...

>Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will
become
>head boy and head girl?

I doubt anyone other than Harry could be head boy. I don't think Hermione
has all the qualities needed to be head girl, but on the other hand there
haven't been many other girls mentioned in detail in Harry's year group. If
it was Harry and Hermione their working relationship would be interesting to
say the least..could throw up some good sub-plots.

Sarah

Jul 3, 2001, 2:27:49 PM7/3/01
I see it as Harry and Hermione. Hermione because she's....well...Hermione.
And Harry because of Dumbledore....I mean, he pretends like he doesn't favor
anyone, but honestly, Harry has broken so many rules and not had more than a
few detentions, mainly because of Dumbledore.....

Sarah

Jonathan Buzzard

Jul 3, 2001, 4:04:10 PM7/3/01
In article <C6n07.15125$h46.9...@news1.cableinet.net>,

Maybe, but I would be surprised if he did not become a prefect next
year. Lets face it Tri-wizarding champion, award for special services
to the school, and Quidditch cup winner not a prefect.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jona...@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

Joseph Romagnano

Jul 3, 2001, 11:58:12 AM7/3/01

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> [snip]

> Maybe, but I would be surprised if he did not become a prefect next
> year. Lets face it Tri-wizarding champion, award for special services
> to the school, and Quidditch cup winner not a prefect.
>
> JAB.

In my little dreamworld I see Ron and Hermione as HB and HG. I know I know, I'm
dreaming but, hey. I'd bet on Hermione being made a prefect but not Harry or
Ron. Even though both Harry and Ron have won awards and so on they have also
gotten into their fair share of trouble.

Joe :-)>

Scott L

Jul 3, 2001, 9:42:46 PM7/3/01

On 1-Jul-2001, "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote:

> I definitely want Hermione Granger as Head girl. I think she'll do an
> excellent job. As for Head boy I'm not too sure. I don't really want Harry
> or Ron as head boy. Maybe Neville Longbottom. I'm not sure why. But I
> think
> it will do him some good :)
> I think Hermione Granger WILL be head girl and I think Malfoy will be Head
> boy. I'm not sure why tho.
> What do u guys think?

Malfoy as Head Boy?! Ack!!! Ron'll never make Prefect much less Head Boy,
but Harry's just the right one for it . I hope for his sake it doesn't
happen, but still....

Just a monkey,

Scott

Found at http://www.dreamwater.org/moonfriend/index.html
Email me at scott644(at)home.com

Pablo

Jul 3, 2001, 11:46:31 PM7/3/01

"Margaret" <marg...@example.com> wrote in message

> "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I think Hermione Granger WILL be head girl and I think Malfoy will be
Head
> > boy. I'm not sure why tho.
>
> Does Malfoy have either the bossiness or the academic
> standing to be HB? It doesn't seem so, to me. And
> similarly, Hermione has the grades, but her bossiness
> seems to have abated since we first saw her --a common
> fate for girls in their teens, as they begin to notice
> how it's the simpering, eyelash-fluttering ones who are
> attractive to the boys :-\ .
>
> Margaret
> Margaret

Ah, but HB and HG are not just prefects that got promoted. Remember, Bill
was HB in his day and see how cool he is. There is no mention of him ever
being prefect. Hermione is enough like Percy that it's a sure bet she'll be
a prefect next book. However, I don't see Harry doing that. Harry as head
boy might be plausible.

Frank Wustner

Jul 4, 2001, 12:40:30 AM7/4/01
"Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote:

I think the chance of Malfoy becomming head boy is about that of me
flying by flapping my arms. In short, zero. I don't know about Harry
getting the job, but he will definately be a prefect.

Neville...? He'll have to do some major shaping up before he'll have a
shot at even prefect, let alone head boy. I strongly suspect that he has
the potential, but he's not using it. Most likely because of the trauma
he suffered from his parents' being attacked.

--
The Deadly Nightshade
http://deadly_nightshade.tripod.com/

|-----------------------------------|
|"I, too, believe in fate... |
|the fate a man makes for himself." |
|Lord Soth ("Time of the Twins") |
|-----------------------------------|
| Want to email me? Go to the URL |
| above and email me from there. |
|-----------------------------------|

Frank Wustner

Jul 4, 2001, 12:50:03 AM7/4/01
"Maya" <may...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote:

> > Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will
> > become head boy and head girl?

> > I definitely want Hermione Granger as Head girl. I think she'll do an
> > excellent job. As for Head boy I'm not too sure. I don't really want Harry
> > or Ron as head boy. Maybe Neville Longbottom. I'm not sure why. But I
> > think it will do him some good :)
> > I think Hermione Granger WILL be head girl and I think Malfoy will be Head
> > boy. I'm not sure why tho.
> > What do u guys think?

> I absolutely agree about Harry being head boy. It would be too predictable,
> especially given that his parents were head boy and girl when they were at
> Hogwarts. (I don't think J.K.R. would make Harry head boy, since she is not
> a predictable writer - this is one of the many things I love about the
> books; it makes them so engrossing)

Uh, hate to break it to you, but if you know how to read the books then
JKR is *very* predictable. Not in plot, but in theme. Harry is being
set up as the Dumbledore of the next generation, and this is not at all
subtle or unpredictable on JKR's part.

Harry is destined for greatness. This has been clearly foreshadowed
since book #1. I will be incrediblly not-surprised if Harry makes head
boy. I *will* be heart-attack surprised if he doesn't at least become a
prefect.

> I think you could be right about
> Hermione and Malfoy, although I'd like to see non 'limelight' characters as
> heads of the school.

The Slytherins are the fall-house, so to speak (we can't call them the
"fall-guy" because there's more than one of them). They serve as petty
annoyances, only to have their plots all fail and their house lose the
cup each year. This is a very strong theme all throughout the series.
The chance of Draco becoming head boy in book #7 is slim to none at
best. Particularly if the war with Voldy is raging on at the time.

If the war with Voldy is already over, as I've speculated it might be,
then that will be a different story. But unless Draco quite suddenly
changes his stripes, then he will never be head boy.

Usagi-chan

Jul 4, 2001, 3:15:38 AM7/4/01
Here's my theory:
Head Girl - Hermione
Head Boy - a) Harry Potter (now correct me if I'm wrong, but it as never
explained HOW the Head Boy and Girl are chosen) and I think this becaue look
at all the stuff he's learned, he might not have the best grades,but in
experience he's up there
b) Draco Malfoy (the only way he'd get it is through his
father's influence, and maybe with some dark help)
c) Dean Thomas or Seamus Finnigan (not much mentioned about
them...so maybe their characters will be developed more by being Head Boy)

That's all i can think of for now.

Terry Eden

Jul 4, 2001, 4:28:47 AM7/4/01
"Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message
> Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will
become
> head boy and head girl?

WARNING! These are just my ideas!

I don't think either Harry or Hermione will become head boy or girl.

Hermione will *really* want to be head girl, but I think will burn out.
She's spent so long trying to be the best and her failure at this will cause
her to break down. She will seek solice in the arm of Draco Malfoy.

Harry seems to hate attention - I think he'll try and get Ron chosen as head
boy. But I can easily see Malfoy being chosen to appease his father.

Personally by the time book 7 comes along (in....ooooh....2012) I think
teaching at Hogwarts will be virtually suspended. The war that is coming
will turn it into a barrack for many of the "Good" wizards. The only thing
that will be taught is DADA and its variants. There won't be any point to
having head boy or girl.

Terry
--
To reply, change "deadspam.com" to "uea.ac.uk"

Jonathan Buzzard

Jul 4, 2001, 4:22:13 AM7/4/01
In article <3B426DF8...@charter.net>,

So has Hermione, who was up the astronomy tower in the middle of the night
in book one, lost 50 points for Gryffindor and got detention to boot.

I also forgot to mention the defeat of the troll and the saving of the
Philoosphers Stone, amoung Harrys list of achievements. Since the incident
with the Womping Willow at the beginning of the second year Harry has not
been in any real trouble with the teachers apart from Snape which hardly
counts. It was also an out of school activity.

Jonathan Buzzard

Jul 4, 2001, 4:24:41 AM7/4/01
In article <9hu3k8$psn$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>,

I very much doubt that Head Boy/Girl are not prefects beforehand. Note
that Percy Wesley was.

EdwAllOls

Jul 4, 2001, 5:31:01 AM7/4/01
>Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will become
>head boy and head girl?

I suppose it depends on how the Head Boy and Girl are chosen. For those who
know about this process in real British schools, how are they selected?

Terry Eden

Jul 4, 2001, 5:41:40 AM7/4/01
"EdwAllOls" <edwa...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Well, in my school people had to stand and be seconded (that is, another
student would nominate them).
Then the staff would ignore that a choose whoever they wanted.

Every school has a different system. We haven't heard that all the Hogwarts
students vote on this, so it may just be chosen by the 7th years.

Robert Carnegie

Jul 4, 2001, 7:41:27 AM7/4/01
"Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message news:<3b41c...@mercury.planet.net.au>...

I think the head boy and head girl are prefects? Hermione has
"prefect" written on her (figuratively speaking!) the very first
time we see her, I think! Malfoy would make a marvellously
horrible prefect.

I think these roles are also supposed to be a kind of hero to the
school, so Neville is possibly ruled out, unless he continues to grow
as we get to know him better.

If, perhaps, book seven features open warfare and an extended final
onslaught by dark forces upon Hogwarts (I'm thinking of Minas Tirith),
there may be casualties during the school year. So Harry could be
promoted to head boy after Malfoy is killed - Harry commanding the
defences, leading the counter-attack - Harry as Faramir, basically?
Or, upon reflection, as Aragorn...

(My presumption here is that parents wouldn't withdraw their children
from Hogwarts and out of danger, because Hogwarts would be safer than
anywhere else - just as I suppose it was last time, too.)

Alternatively, this Viktor Krum I keep hearing about (haven't read
GoF myself yet, I have a birthday coming) might become a Hogwarts
student, either because he likes it, because he likes Hermione,
or because his own school gets blown up by death eaters. Then
he'd be available for Head Boy and Captain of Quidditch.

Frank White

Jul 4, 2001, 9:42:47 AM7/4/01
In article <qf8th9...@192.168.42.254>, jona...@happy.buzzard.org.uk
says...

>In article <C6n07.15125$h46.9...@news1.cableinet.net>,
> "Maya" <may...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message

<snip>

>Maybe, but I would be surprised if he did not become a prefect next
>year. Lets face it Tri-wizarding champion, award for special services
>to the school, and Quidditch cup winner not a prefect.

Prefect? Harry? Who breaks rules right and left,
gets in trouble with the Ministry of Magic on a
regular basis, and who - thanks to Rita Skeeter -
some people think is not right in the head?

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-whee, that's funny.

FW

Joseph Romagnano

Jul 3, 2001, 11:29:58 PM7/3/01

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

You have a point, but that's only -one- time Hermione has been in trouble. How many
times have Harry and Ron been caught? Granted most of them are Snape's problem but
they're still blotches on the record.

Joe :-)>

Chris Share

Jul 4, 2001, 3:39:31 PM7/4/01
On 04 Jul 2001 09:31:01 GMT, EdwAllOls said...

In my school everyone voted for a few people they thought should be
prefects, and from these were drawn up a shortlist, and you had to vote
for which one you wanted to be head girl/boy. So they were elected by
the students, but the teachers could veto them.
If Hogwarts is like this, I think it would be quite possible that Harry
and Hermione would be head boy and girl - everyone knows Hermione is
academically the best, and Harry is pretty good in lessons, and of
course he seems to be becoming an extrememly powerful wizard, maybe even
as good as Dumbledore.

chris

Tim

Jul 4, 2001, 5:13:40 PM7/4/01

Chris Share wrote in message ...

>In my school everyone voted for a few people they thought should be
>prefects, and from these were drawn up a shortlist, and you had to vote
>for which one you wanted to be head girl/boy. So they were elected by
>the students, but the teachers could veto them.
>If Hogwarts is like this, I think it would be quite possible that Harry
>and Hermione would be head boy and girl - everyone knows Hermione is
>academically the best, and Harry is pretty good in lessons, and of
>course he seems to be becoming an extrememly powerful wizard, maybe even
>as good as Dumbledore.

Perhaps they use the sorting hat (or something similar) to choose the head
boy and girl
I really doubt it will be Hermione - she does not fit the profile of ehad
girl, and her leadership qualities are very poor.

Frank Wustner

Jul 5, 2001, 12:14:34 AM7/5/01
fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote:
> jona...@happy.buzzard.org.uk says...

> >Maybe, but I would be surprised if he did not become a prefect next
> >year. Lets face it Tri-wizarding champion, award for special services
> >to the school, and Quidditch cup winner not a prefect.

> Prefect? Harry? Who breaks rules right and left,

So did his dad. *HE* was head boy.

> gets in trouble with the Ministry of Magic on a
> regular basis,

That is a bad exaggeration. And that has nothing to do with the
school's operation anyway.

> and who - thanks to Rita Skeeter -
> some people think is not right in the head?

But not the staff of the school, remember. *They* know the truth. And
*they* would be the ones to choose.

> BWAH-HA-HA-HA-whee, that's funny.

Assuming you haven't thought it through, perhaps.

Frank Wustner

Jul 5, 2001, 12:21:45 AM7/5/01

Percy's leadership qualities stunk. He still made it. It's also fairly
clear that tending to follow rules doesn't make any difference, because
James Potter was Head Boy and he was more notorious than Fred and George.

We've never seen any mention of the students voting for prefects and/or
head boy. There would have been *some* mention of it, if Harry actually
participated (and why wouldn't he?).

Lacking any other information, I think it is safe to assume that the
staff choose the prefects and Head Boy/Girl themselves. My guess is that
the head of the house either choose his/her house's prefects unilaterally
or make suggestions to the Head Master

Frank Wustner

Jul 5, 2001, 12:31:24 AM7/5/01
Joseph Romagnano <jrd...@charter.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> > So has Hermione, who was up the astronomy tower in the middle of the night
> > in book one, lost 50 points for Gryffindor and got detention to boot.

> > I also forgot to mention the defeat of the troll and the saving of the
> > Philoosphers Stone, amoung Harrys list of achievements. Since the incident
> > with the Womping Willow at the beginning of the second year Harry has not
> > been in any real trouble with the teachers apart from Snape which hardly
> > counts. It was also an out of school activity.

> You have a point, but that's only -one- time Hermione has been in trouble.
> How many times have Harry and Ron been caught? Granted most of them are
> Snape's problem but they're still blotches on the record.

How often did Harry's dad cause trouble? And he still made Head Boy.
The tendency to cause trouble is clearly not as important as most people
seem to think.

There are at least two "important" characteristics that we can safely
cross off the list:

As mentioned, causing trouble.

Also, leadership ability. Percy Weasley had no real leadership ability,
but he made both Prefect and Head Boy.

Good grades? We have no counter-examples on that one, so it stays for
now.

I am certain that Harry will make prefect. Dumbledore would make sure of
it, if nothing else. Hermione, I agree with most people, is a shoo-in.
I also think that Malfoy will become a Slytherin prefect. Slytherin
house has to get *some* prefects, and Malfoy is the defacto leader of his
year in that house.

Usagi-chan

Jul 5, 2001, 12:34:03 AM7/5/01
I just thought of something...

GoF Ch. 1
(in the letter Ron wrote to Harry)
"P.S. Percy's Head Boy. He got the letter last week."

so maybe the staff picks who they feel would be the best Head Boy/Girl...its
jsut a theory, becaue Percy did recieve his letter in the summer after the
school year had ended...

ste...@webtv.net

Jul 5, 2001, 2:06:26 AM7/5/01
>Usagi-chan wrote:

>Here's my theory:
>Head Girl - Hermione
>Head Boy - a) Harry Potter (now correct
>me if I'm wrong, but it as never explained
>HOW the Head Boy and Girl are chosen)
>and I think this becaue look at all the stuff
>he's learned, he might not have the best
>grades,but in experience he's up there

Perfect OWL scores are a must.

I love a mystery!

Christianity started out in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to
Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an
institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America
and became an enterprise.
----Sam Pascoe, American scholar.

ste...@webtv.net

Jul 5, 2001, 1:59:41 AM7/5/01
Ron and Hermione in their seventh year.

Jaak Suurpere

Jul 5, 2001, 4:36:08 AM7/5/01
Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote in message news:<see-sig-0C0EFA...@news.mindspring.com>...
Let's see the logic...
The Prefect letters are to be sent next month. The staff has to decide
on the records we've seen through the 4 books.
Hermione will be a Prefect out of the Gryffindor girls.
Gryffindor boys - let's see.
Neville is clearly unsuited.
So is Ron. Academically probably less successful and certainly more
contemptuous of school rules than Harry. More hotheaded. Clearly the
sidekick.
There are Dean and Seamus.
But Harry has earned Gryffindor more House Points than these and is
more likely to be respected by the younger pupils.
That is, Harry would be Prefect.
Take Slytherin. Crabbe and Goyle are dumb and Draco's sidekicks.
There are the unnamed Slytherions. But Draco is Snape's favourite out
of all the Slytherins, so I think Draco becames prefest over them like
Harry becomes prefect over Seamus and Dean.
Pansy seems to lead the gang of Slytherin girls. Less obviously than
Draco, but she's the favourite candidate for Slytherin girls' prefect.
Head Boy and Girl would be decided after the events of 2 next books.

Pablo

Jul 5, 2001, 1:30:07 PM7/5/01

> "Margaret" <marg...@example.com> wrote in message
> "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I think Hermione Granger WILL be head girl and I think Malfoy will be
Head
> > boy. I'm not sure why tho.

Pablo

Jul 5, 2001, 1:46:49 PM7/5/01

"Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message
> > Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will
> become
> > head boy and head girl?
>
> WARNING! These are just my ideas!
>
> I don't think either Harry or Hermione will become head boy or girl.
>
> Hermione will *really* want to be head girl, but I think will burn out.
> She's spent so long trying to be the best and her failure at this will
cause
> her to break down. She will seek solice in the arm of Draco Malfoy.

Hermione and Draco!?!? Think what you're saying!!! Don't even suggest that.
It's not funny. Actually, the rest of it is an interesting theory, and very
plausible when you consider all the red herrings and plot twists we've seen
from Rowling thus far.

> Harry seems to hate attention - I think he'll try and get Ron chosen as
head
> boy. But I can easily see Malfoy being chosen to appease his father.

But Dumbledore isn't afraid of Malfoy. Malfoy is nothing compared to the big
D. and Malfoy knows it. Draco got on the house Quidditch team because of
Snape and others affiliated with Slytherin, such as Flint, the Slytherin
team captain IIRC.
After all, Malfoy Sr. did buy _Slytherin_ seven Nimbus 2001's.

[snip]

Terry Eden

Jul 5, 2001, 2:28:17 PM7/5/01
"Pablo" <benja...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Terry Eden" <T.E...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> > her to break down. She will seek solice in the arm of Draco Malfoy.
> >

> Hermione and Draco!?!? Think what you're saying!!! Don't even suggest
that.
> It's not funny.

It's not funny - but (in real life (TM)) it's more likely than you might
think.
Either Draco rejects his father's teachings or seduces Hermione to
intentionally hurt her.
Or vice-versa ;-)

> > boy. But I can easily see Malfoy being chosen to appease his father.
>
> But Dumbledore isn't afraid of Malfoy.

Who say's Dumble is still going to be head in Book 7?

Chris Harris

Jul 5, 2001, 2:53:14 PM7/5/01

"Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message
> Who do u guys want as head boy and head girl? And who do u think will
become
> head boy and head girl?

I should like to see Ron receive some sort of special status; otherwise in
his family (where Bill, Charlie and Percy all held positions of power) it is
likely that he would feel inferior to his older brothers. Furthermore, I
should like to hear him say "Five points from Slytherin" next time Malfoy is
up to his tricks :). However, I think it is highly unlikely that Ron will be
head boy. Quidditch captain perhaps? Who knows...

As for head girl... Hermione is a lot like Percy. Highly articulate and
intelligent with a good sense of morals. An ideal candidate, it would seem
to me.

Chris Harris

William Bebendorf

Jul 5, 2001, 10:50:44 PM7/5/01
As far as I can see there is no logical reason for Harry to not be a prefect and later head boy, so the only way I can think for him to not become prefect/head boy is if Dumbledore refuses to allow it because of fears for Harrys safety. I think it's a reasonable assumption that in book 7 (when Harry would be head boy) the big V will be doing everything in his rather considerable power to destroy Harry.

William Bebendorf

Jul 5, 2001, 10:55:39 PM7/5/01
Jaak Suurpere wrote:

I thought that there are only 12 prefects over 3 year levels. That's 3
prefects per year, by your calculations there would be 8 prefects in
Harry's year, not too likely.

peter

Jul 6, 2001, 6:39:46 AM7/6/01
Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:

> I am certain that Harry will make prefect. Dumbledore would make sure of
> it, if nothing else.

Agreed. And JKR (IMO) will make sure of it too. I'm still going for Ron
taking a wrong turn out of jealousy and what better way to do that is:

1. Make Harry head-boy; again drawing all the attention
2. While being head-boy he catches Ron doing something Harry HAS to
report to a teacher; Ron gets punished and feels betrayed by his best
friend.

Wow, the possebilities... :-)

peter

--
http://asl.to/jacko

Miriam Moules

Jul 6, 2001, 10:11:11 AM7/6/01

The best prefects we had at school were the ones who were always in
trouble when they were younger. They knew when to lay down the law, and
when to let it go. The good-two-shoes were the worst, as they didn't
have any idea of flexibility, or when to let it go, and when to come
down on them.

I think Hermione could be an utterly lousy prefect to begin with, but
get a huge amount better later on. Harry would be an excellent prefect,
but I'm not so sure about Ron.

I agree about Harry as Head Boy - too much of his popularity rests on
his fame, and you need a consistent popular streak in order to hold
authority - I don't mean populist, just the ability to keep the majority
on your side.
Hermione would be a popular head of school, as would Malfoy, but for
different reasons. Hermione would earn it, Malfoy would win it. and for
all the posturing about Slytherin winning the house cup, they haven't
had a head of school for a few years.

Love
Miriam

Miriam Moules

Jul 6, 2001, 10:17:19 AM7/6/01
William Bebendorf wrote:

> > Harry becomes prefect over Seamus and Dean.
> > Pansy seems to lead the gang of Slytherin girls. Less obviously than
> > Draco, but she's the favourite candidate for Slytherin girls' prefect.
> > Head Boy and Girl would be decided after the events of 2 next books.
>
> I thought that there are only 12 prefects over 3 year levels. That's 3
> prefects per year, by your calculations there would be 8 prefects in
> Harry's year, not too likely.

We had "house prefects" and "school prefects". The former tended to be
younger than UVI, and only had real authority with members of their own
houses. School prefects were highly respected members of the school, in
their final year.

But the number of prefects varied from year to year. Although the HM
tried to ensure that each house was evenly represented, they tended to
choose the best, and there were years when houses had no prefects at
school level, and maybe one at house level.

And some people thrive best without the prefect tie. I certainly did -
I'd been a house prefect for 2 years, and librarian, and was considered
a shoo-in in some quarters. But although I was miffed at first not to be
a prefect, in the end I was very grateful, and happier not to have the
responsibilities my friends had.

Love
miriam

Miriam Moules

Jul 6, 2001, 10:23:13 AM7/6/01

Well, at my school there was a process of shadowing - a lot of school
prefects had been house prefects, but this wasn't necessary.

Then the teachers would have a very very long staff meeting, and make
their recommendations to the head, and he would choose. He had to work
with the prefects the closest of anyone individual, so it was essential
that he could work with them.

In other schools there is a ballot, either of the outgoing sixth form,
or of the entire sixth form.

Or another system is that there is a senior house ballot (5th years and
up) to choose house prefects, then the staff select the school prefects
from that.

Love
Miriam

Harry Lund

Jul 6, 2001, 11:08:51 AM7/6/01
In article <9i2bk3$gonfd$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden
<T.E...@deadspam.com> writes

>Who say's Dumble is still going to be head in Book 7?
Me.
--
Harry Lund
Cambridge, UK

Terry Eden

Jul 6, 2001, 12:07:49 PM7/6/01
"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> In article <9i2bk3$gonfd$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden
> <T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
> >Who say's Dumble is still going to be head in Book 7?
> Me.

Fair enough - I'll ring Jo and ask her to make the changes.

Harry Lund

Jul 6, 2001, 2:27:40 PM7/6/01
In article <9i4noo$h1k46$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden

<T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
>"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> In article <9i2bk3$gonfd$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden
>> <T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
>> >Who say's Dumble is still going to be head in Book 7?
>> Me.
>
>Fair enough - I'll ring Jo and ask her to make the changes.
Oh, don't worry about that - no need, I've already cleared it with her.

Terry Eden

Jul 6, 2001, 6:13:30 PM7/6/01
"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Oh, ok. How is she? Has she got over that little "problem"?

Harry Lund

Jul 7, 2001, 5:22:53 AM7/7/01
In article <9i5d6d$grlmb$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden

<T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
>"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> In article <9i4noo$h1k46$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden
>> <T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
>> >"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Fair enough - I'll ring Jo and ask her to make the changes.
>> Oh, don't worry about that - no need, I've already cleared it with her.
>
>Oh, ok. How is she? Has she got over that little "problem"?

We didn't have much time to chat, I'm afraid - I had to run off to a
secret meeting with the world's leaders.

Terry Eden

Jul 7, 2001, 8:04:47 AM7/7/01
"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

That's odd... I didn't see you there? The Sultan of Bruni wants to know if
you still want those camels you ordered from him.

Harry Lund

Jul 7, 2001, 10:17:11 AM7/7/01
In article <9i6tt2$h80vm$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden
<T.E...@deadspam.com> writes

>That's odd... I didn't see you there? The Sultan of Bruni wants to know
>if you still want those camels you ordered from him.
No, I was disguised as Elvis. Yes, I'd still like the camels, but they
had better be good quality.

Terry Eden

Jul 7, 2001, 11:03:47 AM7/7/01
"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Oh! That was you! I assumed it *was* Elvis.
The camels are of finest quality, but their tires have been recalled - so
there might be a slight delay getting them to you, sorry. I can get you a
good deal on Gryphons, if you would rather?

Harry Lund

Jul 7, 2001, 5:10:41 PM7/7/01
In article <9i78co$ha1p5$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden

<T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
>"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> In article <9i6tt2$h80vm$1...@ID-89774.news.dfncis.de>, Terry Eden
>> <T.E...@deadspam.com> writes
>> >That's odd... I didn't see you there? The Sultan of Bruni wants to know
>> >if you still want those camels you ordered from him.
>> No, I was disguised as Elvis. Yes, I'd still like the camels, but they
>> had better be good quality.
>
>Oh! That was you! I assumed it *was* Elvis.
>The camels are of finest quality, but their tires have been recalled - so
>there might be a slight delay getting them to you, sorry. I can get you a
>good deal on Gryphons, if you would rather?

Don't worry, I can wait, thanks. But what about *our* deal? About you
know what? Is it still on, or shall I tell Mr Vader to come after all?

Terry Eden

Jul 7, 2001, 6:03:34 PM7/7/01
"Harry Lund" <hazz...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

I'll do my best to see that he never escapes from our little island. don't
worry - everything is proceeding exactly as I have forseen it.

Lynn

Jul 7, 2001, 7:05:24 PM7/7/01
>know
>> >
>> >Oh! That was you! I assumed it *was* Elvis.
>> >The camels are of finest quality, but their tires have been recalled - so
>> >there might be a slight delay getting them to you, sorry. I can get you
>> >good deal on Gryphons, if you would rather?
>> >
>> Don't worry, I can wait, thanks. But what about *our* deal? About you
>> know what? Is it still on, or shall I tell Mr Vader to come after all?
>
>I'll do my best to see that he never escapes from our little island. don't
>worry - everything is proceeding exactly as I have forseen it.
>
>Terry

Should the rest of us be getting worried at this point?

-- Lynn
"Ask people why they have deer heads on their walls and they tell you it's
because they're such beautiful animals. I think my wife is beautiful, but I
only have photographs of her on the wall."
-George Carlin

Terry Eden

Jul 7, 2001, 7:44:12 PM7/7/01
"Lynn" <zoz...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> >> Don't worry, I can wait, thanks. But what about *our* deal? About you
> >> know what? Is it still on, or shall I tell Mr Vader to come after all?
> >
> >I'll do my best to see that he never escapes from our little island.
don't
> >worry - everything is proceeding exactly as I have forseen it.
>
> Should the rest of us be getting worried at this point?

Oh no. Soon you'll all have nothing to worry about at
all...Bwaha...Bwahahaha.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA!

...ahem...

Klaus Winkler

Jul 8, 2001, 12:53:58 PM7/8/01
On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 21:21:45 -0700, Frank Wustner
<see...@for.email.org> wrote:

>"Tim" <tim_u...@tim-gray.org.uk> wrote:
>

>Percy's leadership qualities stunk. He still made it.

We didn't see much of his qualities, our perception of him is quite
influenced by the fact that we see him through the eyes of his yourger
brothers friend. Not really objective.

> It's also fairly
>clear that tending to follow rules doesn't make any difference, because
>James Potter was Head Boy and he was more notorious than Fred and George.

From PoA
McG:"Black and Potter, I don't think we've ever had such a pair of
troublemakers"
Hagrid:Fred and George could give them a run for their money"

Regards
Klaus Winkler
--
Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash mazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

ste...@webtv.net

Jul 8, 2001, 5:57:09 PM7/8/01
>Terry Eden wrote:

>Harry seems to hate attention - I think
>he'll try and get Ron chosen as head boy.
>But I can easily see Malfoy being chosen
>to appease his father.

Malfoy doesn't stand a chance of making HB through Lucius Malfoy who is
tarnished goods. This powerful wizard was not mentioned as far as I can
tell in Book 1. In Book 2, he lost not only his position as a governor
on the Hogwart's board but also his power to control other members on
the board. And, I think this is most important, Dobby indicated to us
that he had Lucius' number.

A thought about Dobby. Was it elf power or elf knowledge that forced
Lucius Malfoy to go home when Dobby ordered him to do so? When Dobby
first meets Harry, he tells Harry, "There is a plot, Harry Potter. A
plot to make most terrible things happen at Hogwarts School of
Witchcraft and Wizardry this year,..." We learn that this plot has been
kindling for six months. Dobby while cooking and cleaning, has his eyes
and ears open. Is the knowledge of this ease dropping the factor that
caused Lucius to take a step back and not the icy voice and pointy
finger of Dobby?

"Dobby I've just got one question, Dobby," said Harry as Dobby pulled on
Harry's sock with shaking hands. "You told me all this had nothing to
do
with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, remember? Well...."
"It was a clue, sir," said Dobby, his eyeswidening, as though this
was obvious. "Was giving you a clue. The Dark Lord, before he changed
his
name, could be freely named, you see?" Be honest now, did anyone pick
up on the clue before reading the preceding sentence?

In Book 3, Lucius Malfoy was pleasantly absent for most of it. Finally,
in Book 4, he is identified by Harry as being a resurrected Death Eater.

Based on the above, I don't think that Draco Malfoy has a snowball
chance in hell of be HB.

I love a mystery!

Trust God, but lock your car.

Frank White

Jul 8, 2001, 8:44:21 PM7/8/01
In article <76-3B48...@storefull-134.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
ste...@webtv.net says...
->
->>Terry Eden wrote:

<snip>

->"Dobby I've just got one question, Dobby," said Harry as Dobby pulled
on
->Harry's sock with shaking hands. "You told me all this had nothing to
->do
->with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, remember? Well...."
->"It was a clue, sir," said Dobby, his eyeswidening, as though this
->was obvious. "Was giving you a clue. The Dark Lord, before he changed
->his
->name, could be freely named, you see?" Be honest now, did anyone pick
->up on the clue before reading the preceding sentence?

Well, I knew it was a clue of some sort; Dobby emphasized
it too hard when he first said it for it not to be. The
trouble is, we were in the same boat as Harry: Who knew
the Dark Lord HAD a name other than Voldemort?

Dumbledore might have gotten it. We the readers - and
Harry - could not.

FW

Frank Wustner

Jul 8, 2001, 10:21:02 PM7/8/01
Klaus Winkler <klausw...@foni.net> wrote:
> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:

> >Percy's leadership qualities stunk. He still made it.

> We didn't see much of his qualities, our perception of him is quite
> influenced by the fact that we see him through the eyes of his yourger
> brothers friend. Not really objective.

We still see quite clearly that he gets absolutely no respect from anyone
except himself and his mom (and maybe Penny Clearwater). A real leader
is someone who earns the respect of the people s/he leads. Percy is the
kind of person who believes that he should be respected and just can not
understand why nobody does.

> >It's also fairly
> >clear that tending to follow rules doesn't make any difference, because
> >James Potter was Head Boy and he was more notorious than Fred and George.

> From PoA
> McG:"Black and Potter, I don't think we've ever had such a pair of
> troublemakers"
> Hagrid:Fred and George could give them a run for their money"

I'm not sure if you're arguing in favor of or against my point. But in
either case, my point still stands. James Potter made Head Boy despite
being a well-known rule breaker, so rule breaking obviously is not as
important as many people here seem to think.

--
The Deadly Nightshade
http://deadly_nightshade.tripod.com/
http://members.tripod.com/~deadly_nightshade/

|-----------------------------------|
|"I, too, believe in fate... |
|the fate a man makes for himself." |
|Lord Soth ("Time of the Twins") |
|-----------------------------------|
| Want to email me? Go to the URL |
| above and email me from there. |
|-----------------------------------|

Dave Ragsdale

Jul 9, 2001, 12:26:15 AM7/9/01
>I'm not sure if you're arguing in favor of or against my point. But in
>
>either case, my point still stands. James Potter made Head Boy despite
>
>being a well-known rule breaker, so rule breaking obviously is not as
>important as many people here seem to think.

I've always thought that JKR might have let herself go a little bit when she
created some of James's history. He was Head Boy and a skilled enough wizard to
figure out with his friends how to become an animagus, but also a huge
trouble-maker who must have broken school rules left and right. And he was a
Quidditch stud as well. A bit of restraint might have been more interesting.
His story seems a little too perfect to me.

Dave

---------------
"I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently
in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has
imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
-Thoreau

Jaak Suurpere

Jul 9, 2001, 4:44:44 AM7/9/01
Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote in message news:<see-sig-0D7684...@news.mindspring.com>...

> Klaus Winkler <klausw...@foni.net> wrote:
> > Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>
> > >Percy's leadership qualities stunk. He still made it.
>
> > We didn't see much of his qualities, our perception of him is quite
> > influenced by the fact that we see him through the eyes of his yourger
> > brothers friend. Not really objective.
>
> We still see quite clearly that he gets absolutely no respect from anyone
> except himself and his mom (and maybe Penny Clearwater).

Have we ever seen Percy and Oliver together?
The only people we see interacting with Percy are his younger
siblings.
Hermione obviously respects him. And for all we see - everyone except
the Weasley brothers.

Rick Rollins

Jul 9, 2001, 8:23:17 AM7/9/01

"Dave Ragsdale" <dra...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >I'm not sure if you're arguing in favor of or against my point. But in
> >
> >either case, my point still stands. James Potter made Head Boy despite
> >
> >being a well-known rule breaker, so rule breaking obviously is not as
> >important as many people here seem to think.
>
> I've always thought that JKR might have let herself go a little bit when
she
> created some of James's history. He was Head Boy and a skilled enough
wizard to
> figure out with his friends how to become an animagus, but also a huge
> trouble-maker who must have broken school rules left and right. And he was
> Quidditch stud as well. A bit of restraint might have been more
interesting.
> His story seems a little too perfect to me.
>
> Dave

Don't forget, while James was in school, Voldemort was growing stronger
and
stronger. I suspect a key quality in headboy for Dumbledore and staff in
those
days was how strongly a person stood for the values that the Hogwarts
staff
stood for; and in that regard, having married Miss Evans in the near
future, I
suspect James Potter had attitudes very similar to those of Albus
Dumbledore.

Robert Carnegie

Jul 9, 2001, 9:41:35 AM7/9/01
ste...@webtv.net wrote in message news:<76-3B48...@storefull-134.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

> > "It was a clue, sir," said Dobby, his eyes widening, as though

> > this was obvious. "Was giving you a clue. The Dark Lord, before
> > he changed his name, could be freely named, you see?"
>
> Be honest now, did anyone pick up on the clue before reading the
> preceding sentence?

No - but (without having read GoF) Dobby is not at all good at being
helpful (i.e., saving Harry's life). Giving a clue that points you
in completely the wrong direction is just another part of the sad
picture, I think...

Frank Wustner

Jul 10, 2001, 1:15:09 AM7/10/01
Ijaa...@my-deja.com (Jaak Suurpere) wrote:
> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
> > Klaus Winkler <klausw...@foni.net> wrote:

> > > We didn't see much of his qualities, our perception of him is quite
> > > influenced by the fact that we see him through the eyes of his yourger
> > > brothers friend. Not really objective.

> > We still see quite clearly that he gets absolutely no respect from anyone
> > except himself and his mom (and maybe Penny Clearwater).

> Have we ever seen Percy and Oliver together?

Uh? Oliver Wood, you mean?

> The only people we see interacting with Percy are his younger
> siblings.

And the occasional ministry wizard in GoF. Barty Crouch, his own boss,
can't even remember his name. And Barty himself says at one point that
Percy is a bit over-enthusiastic in his work. *CROUCH*, the ultimate
anal retentive rule monger and dedicated minister, said that Percy was
too enthusiastic (on pg 281 of the U.S. edition, in case you want to
know). Percy can't even get respect from his own rule-monger hero.

> Hermione obviously respects him. And for all we see - everyone except
> the Weasley brothers.

Hermione loses a great deal of her respect for him over the house elf
issue. And we clearly see Draco Malfoy disrespect him in CoS (though I
would agree that that is no big surprise). His father, Arthur, often
joins in the laughter when the twins make a joke at his expense.

Everyone important we see who has any real interaction with him shows him
no respect at all (or very little, at most) except his mother and Penny
Clearwater. How many more examples do we need? Percy is a pompous and
arrogant prig, and those qualities are the mark of a horrible leader.

Frank Wustner

Jul 10, 2001, 1:31:18 AM7/10/01
dra...@aol.com (Dave Ragsdale) wrote:

> >I'm not sure if you're arguing in favor of or against my point. But in
> >either case, my point still stands. James Potter made Head Boy despite
> >being a well-known rule breaker, so rule breaking obviously is not as
> >important as many people here seem to think.

> I've always thought that JKR might have let herself go a little bit when she
> created some of James's history. He was Head Boy and a skilled enough wizard
> to figure out with his friends how to become an animagus, but also a huge
> trouble-maker who must have broken school rules left and right. And he was a
> Quidditch stud as well. A bit of restraint might have been more interesting.
> His story seems a little too perfect to me.

*shrug* Perhaps people are remembering him too fondly in retrospect, now
that he's dead. It could be a load of hyperbole.

On the other hand, there are people like that in real life. The perfect
student who is also the school's champion athelete and so on. One such
person went to *my* high school (he was the valadictorian senior during
my sophmore year). So it's not *too* perfect for reality.

Rob the Coconaut

Jul 9, 2001, 6:13:01 PM7/9/01
Maybe James was picked because he was (a( a genius in wizardry (b) extremely
popular, and (c) Was loyal and determined at his belief in the light arts.

--
Rob The Coconaut-The fruity General

Jonathan Buzzard

Jul 10, 2001, 5:16:40 AM7/10/01
In article <8e2e4b9e.01070...@posting.google.com>,

Read the end of PoA, when Percy is make his comments about magical law
inforcement and what he will do if he gets into the ministry. The only
person that will listen is Miss. Clearwater.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jona...@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

Klaus Winkler

Jul 12, 2001, 12:46:00 PM7/12/01
On Sun, 08 Jul 2001 19:21:02 -0700, Frank Wustner
<see...@for.email.org> wrote:

>Klaus Winkler <klausw...@foni.net> wrote:
>> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>
>> >It's also fairly
>> >clear that tending to follow rules doesn't make any difference, because
>> >James Potter was Head Boy and he was more notorious than Fred and George.
>
>> From PoA
>> McG:"Black and Potter, I don't think we've ever had such a pair of
>> troublemakers"
>> Hagrid:Fred and George could give them a run for their money"
>
>I'm not sure if you're arguing in favor of or against my point.

Only the "more notorious than Fred and George" Part.

Klaus Winkler

Jul 12, 2001, 1:41:43 PM7/12/01
On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 22:15:09 -0700, Frank Wustner
<see...@for.email.org> wrote:

>Ijaa...@my-deja.com (Jaak Suurpere) wrote:
>> Frank Wustner <see...@for.email.org> wrote:
>
>And the occasional ministry wizard in GoF. Barty Crouch, his own boss,
>can't even remember his name. And Barty himself says at one point that
>Percy is a bit over-enthusiastic in his work. *CROUCH*, the ultimate
>anal retentive rule monger and dedicated minister, said that Percy was
>too enthusiastic (on pg 281 of the U.S. edition, in case you want to
>know). Percy can't even get respect from his own rule-monger hero.

I don't count that as a lack of respect.
More important nobody at the ministry sees Percy acting as Crouch's
replacement at the Tournament as a problem.

>> Hermione obviously respects him. And for all we see - everyone except
>> the Weasley brothers.
>
>Hermione loses a great deal of her respect for him over the house elf
>issue.

So what?

tsbr...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 2:40:44 PM9/19/16
On Wednesday, July 4, 2001 at 6:42:47 AM UTC-7, Frank White wrote:
> In article <qf8th9...@192.168.42.254>, jona...@happy.buzzard.org.uk
> says...
> >
> >In article <C6n07.15125$h46.9...@news1.cableinet.net>,
> > "Maya" <may...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> >>
> >> "Amy Cheng" <amyc...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> >Maybe, but I would be surprised if he did not become a prefect next
> >year. Lets face it Tri-wizarding champion, award for special services
> >to the school, and Quidditch cup winner not a prefect.
>
> Prefect? Harry? Who breaks rules right and left,
> gets in trouble with the Ministry of Magic on a
> regular basis, and who - thanks to Rita Skeeter -
> some people think is not right in the head?

James Potter broke rules on many occasions, yet still got to be Head Boy!