new to the group

284 vues

Cass

non lue,
6 nov. 2002, 16:36:4706/11/2002
Is there a FAQ?

When's the next book out?

Can I top post?

Can I write off topic?

Okay, so I found the group. Wasn't that hard really. You didn't hide it very
well.

Cass

~Brian~

non lue,
6 nov. 2002, 17:07:0806/11/2002
I'm here as well Miss Cass.

I just finished SOS last night. (finally!)

~B

--
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/4871

alt.fan.robert-jordan
http://www.afrj-monkeyhouse.org/

We actually do have a research team on crack.

William Marnoch

non lue,
6 nov. 2002, 19:18:4606/11/2002
On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:36:47 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Is there a FAQ?

No. We only seem to have one Q that is FA so it's possibly not worth
it.

>When's the next book out?

7th March 2003 apparently (in the UK), in both hardback and trade
paperback on the same day, handily.

>Can I top post?

It's possible some people might complain about it if you do... that
generally seems true of any group on Usenet.

>Can I write off topic?

Yes.

>Okay, so I found the group. Wasn't that hard really. You didn't hide it very
>well.

D'oh... we'll have to name it better next time... how about
alt.fan.asoiaf, that would confuse people ;)

Anyway, welcome to the group.

--
William Marnoch
wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk

Nathanael Thompson

non lue,
7 nov. 2002, 08:38:1107/11/2002
This seems like a good time to de-lurk. I'm new here as well.
Impatiently anticipating aFfC.

-+-
Nate Thompson

Never will my ear that bell hear,
never my feet that shore tread.
Never again, as in sad lane,
in blind alley and in long street
ragged I walk. To myself I talk;
for still they speak not, men that I meet.

--J.R.R. Tolkien
"The Sea Bell"

Chucky & Janica

non lue,
7 nov. 2002, 15:39:5707/11/2002
Way back on 7 Nov 2002 05:38:11 -0800, this dweeb called
john_f...@yahoo.com (Nathanael Thompson) kirjoitti viestissä:

>This seems like a good time to de-lurk. I'm new here as well.
>Impatiently anticipating aFfC.

Welcome to you as well!

Hazzah for the newcomers, and may you never return to the warm loving
safety of the lurk. Ever.

C&J

--
13 & 13b of the CMM Collective
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Chucky & Janica

non lue,
7 nov. 2002, 15:39:5607/11/2002
Way back on Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:36:47 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
<cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>Is there a FAQ?

Not that I know of or follow. If anybody picks on you, you come and
tell Uncle Chucky. And he'll tell Auntie Janica.

>When's the next book out?

April, apparently. You read them?

>Can I top post?

Sure.

>Can I write off topic?

Absolutely.

>Okay, so I found the group. Wasn't that hard really. You didn't hide it very
>well.

We've hid it well enough to keep the rec.arts tossers away, and that's
good enough for me.

Welcome!

*dances the Welcome Wagrrmon Dance for Cass*

Cass

non lue,
8 nov. 2002, 00:25:2008/11/2002

"William Marnoch" <wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:36:47 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there a FAQ?
>
> No. We only seem to have one Q that is FA so it's possibly not worth
> it.

Let me guess: Is Tyrion gay?

> >When's the next book out?
>
> 7th March 2003 apparently (in the UK), in both hardback and trade
> paperback on the same day, handily.

Neat . I always let my friends and sister buy the expensive hardbacks, then
I borrow them for months and conveniently forget.

> >Can I top post?
>
> It's possible some people might complain about it if you do... that
> generally seems true of any group on Usenet.

Yeah, damn posting nazis.

> >Can I write off topic?
>
> Yes.

Right...let me think of something...

> >Okay, so I found the group. Wasn't that hard really. You didn't hide it
very
> >well.
>
> D'oh... we'll have to name it better next time... how about
> alt.fan.asoiaf, that would confuse people ;)
>
> Anyway, welcome to the group.

I like him. May I keep him?

Cass

Cass

non lue,
8 nov. 2002, 00:22:5008/11/2002

"A11otrios" <o...@orgasmatron.de***mon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Cass while grazing in <PXfy9.60462$bG.45584@rwcrnsc53>, made the
> following shapes:
> Cass babe, welcome :)
>
> I am not gonna say this to brian of course, just to make you feel
> special.
>
> *winks*

Well, you certainly know how to make a girl feel special! *winks bak*

Cass

Cass

non lue,
8 nov. 2002, 00:26:2908/11/2002

"~Brian~" <bbra...@carolina.nospam> wrote in message

> I'm here as well Miss Cass.

Hey ~B. So we up the intelligence quota here by like a 100%, right?

> I just finished SOS last night. (finally!)

Yay. Lets discuss.

Ummmm......

Ummm.....

See your other thread!

Cass

Cass

non lue,
8 nov. 2002, 00:30:0708/11/2002

"Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message

> Way back on Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:36:47 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
> <cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:
>
> >Is there a FAQ?
>
> Not that I know of or follow. If anybody picks on you, you come and
> tell Uncle Chucky. And he'll tell Auntie Janica.

I'm just going to you first to make you feel better. I know Janica will deal
with it.

> >When's the next book out?
>
> April, apparently. You read them?

Yeah, believe it or not. I might even contribute to a on topic discussion.
gasp.

> >Okay, so I found the group. Wasn't that hard really. You didn't hide it
very
> >well.
>
> We've hid it well enough to keep the rec.arts tossers away, and that's
> good enough for me.

Good enough for me too!

> Welcome!
>
> *dances the Welcome Wagrrmon Dance for Cass*

I get a Welcome Wagrrmon? I feel so honoured!

Cass

William Marnoch

non lue,
8 nov. 2002, 12:17:2208/11/2002
On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:25:20 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"William Marnoch" <wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:36:47 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Is there a FAQ?
>>
>> No. We only seem to have one Q that is FA so it's possibly not worth
>> it.
>
>Let me guess: Is Tyrion gay?

Strangely enough, I don't that Q has ever been A, let alone F.

The recurring question here seems to be "Is Jon Snow, not actually
Eddard's son but Lyanna's and Rhaeger's instead?" or endless
variations on that theme. It's quite a nice theory that some people
have, which was interesting for a while but I got a bit tired of it
the 37th time a thread was started on it ;). Hopefully the next book
might either prove or disprove the theory, so we can discuss something
else instead.

>> >When's the next book out?
>>
>> 7th March 2003 apparently (in the UK), in both hardback and trade
>> paperback on the same day, handily.
>
>Neat . I always let my friends and sister buy the expensive hardbacks, then
>I borrow them for months and conveniently forget.

Seems sensible... unfortunately I like actually owning the books too
much to particularly want to do that.

Cass

non lue,
9 nov. 2002, 14:35:1909/11/2002

> Strangely enough, I don't that Q has ever been A, let alone F.
>
> The recurring question here seems to be "Is Jon Snow, not actually
> Eddard's son but Lyanna's and Rhaeger's instead?" or endless
> variations on that theme. It's quite a nice theory that some people
> have, which was interesting for a while but I got a bit tired of it
> the 37th time a thread was started on it ;). Hopefully the next book
> might either prove or disprove the theory, so we can discuss something
> else instead.

Hmmm...ever since Jon was introduced I was trying to figure out who his
parents were. I didn't get to Lyanna and Rhaegar though because wouldn't
Lyanna being pregnant have been noticed by someone? But it keeps going on
about Eddard being so noble blah blah that he wouldn't/shouldn't have had a
bastard. Maybe Jon's his brother's (Brandon?).

Cass

William Marnoch

non lue,
9 nov. 2002, 15:36:5509/11/2002
On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:35:19 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"William Marnoch" <wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Strangely enough, I don't that Q has ever been A, let alone F.
>>
>> The recurring question here seems to be "Is Jon Snow, not actually
>> Eddard's son but Lyanna's and Rhaeger's instead?" or endless
>> variations on that theme. It's quite a nice theory that some people
>> have, which was interesting for a while but I got a bit tired of it
>> the 37th time a thread was started on it ;). Hopefully the next book
>> might either prove or disprove the theory, so we can discuss something
>> else instead.
>
>Hmmm...ever since Jon was introduced I was trying to figure out who his
>parents were. I didn't get to Lyanna and Rhaegar though because wouldn't
>Lyanna being pregnant have been noticed by someone?

I get the impression from the books that none of the major characters
in the series would have seen Lyanna in the months before her death -
apart from Eddard obviously and according the theory he definetely did
find out that she was pregnant, that's why he takes care of Jon,
because he made a promise to Lyanna as she lay dying. The reason he
would lie about Jon's parentage would be that - due to the general
hatred of the Targarayens at the time - if people knew Jon was
Rhaeger's son, he might have a significantly reduced life expectancy.

Inevitably, since there's no real evidence to prove or disprove this
theory, there's some people who are very sceptical about this theory
and seem happy to explain at great length why they don't think it's
right. And then other people who like the theory feel the need to
defend the theory at great length, and scour the books for random
quotes that may have some vague relevance to it. All of that was fun
for a while, but the argument seemed to start going round in circles
after a couple of months.

> But it keeps going on
>about Eddard being so noble blah blah that he wouldn't/shouldn't have had a
>bastard. Maybe Jon's his brother's (Brandon?).

That's also a possibility as he does call Jon "son" at one point. His
name's Benjen BTW.

There seems to be a summary of various theories here:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dragonstone/faq/jonfiles.htm
although the last "theory" is just wrong on so many levels it
shouldn't even have been suggested.

Tallis

non lue,
9 nov. 2002, 20:25:1409/11/2002
"Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xrdz9.60202$sP2.21064@sccrnsc02>...

Welcome, Cass and Nate!

<cackles> Some Jon Targaryen speculation! It's been far too long.

Robert's Rebellion waged for quite some time, Cass. Also, considering
that Lyanna was found in the middle of nowhere (Tower of Joy = in
secluded part of Dornish mountains), it's a safe bet that precious few
people ever saw her pregnant.

-Tallis

Chucky & Janica

non lue,
10 nov. 2002, 16:26:5310/11/2002
Way back on Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:30:07 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
<cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> >Is there a FAQ?
>>
>> Not that I know of or follow. If anybody picks on you, you come and
>> tell Uncle Chucky. And he'll tell Auntie Janica.
>
>I'm just going to you first to make you feel better. I know Janica will deal
>with it.

Correct. I appreciate your tact.

>> Welcome!
>>
>> *dances the Welcome Wagrrmon Dance for Cass*
>
>I get a Welcome Wagrrmon? I feel so honoured!

I feel so out-of-shape.

Cass

non lue,
10 nov. 2002, 18:50:2510/11/2002

> I get the impression from the books that none of the major characters
> in the series would have seen Lyanna in the months before her death -
> apart from Eddard obviously and according the theory he definetely did
> find out that she was pregnant, that's why he takes care of Jon,
> because he made a promise to Lyanna as she lay dying. The reason he
> would lie about Jon's parentage would be that - due to the general
> hatred of the Targarayens at the time - if people knew Jon was
> Rhaeger's son, he might have a significantly reduced life expectancy.

Hmmm...true. I always read the promise as about Lyanna's wish to be buried
at home. And I always thought it was so fervant because she was so far from
home.

> Inevitably, since there's no real evidence to prove or disprove this
> theory, there's some people who are very sceptical about this theory
> and seem happy to explain at great length why they don't think it's
> right. And then other people who like the theory feel the need to
> defend the theory at great length, and scour the books for random
> quotes that may have some vague relevance to it. All of that was fun
> for a while, but the argument seemed to start going round in circles
> after a couple of months.

Yeah, but what are the other mysteries that we could debate on? :)

> > But it keeps going on
> >about Eddard being so noble blah blah that he wouldn't/shouldn't have had
> >bastard. Maybe Jon's his brother's (Brandon?).
>
> That's also a possibility as he does call Jon "son" at one point. His
> name's Benjen BTW.

I was actually thinking about the other brother. There is another brother,
right? The one who Catelyn was supposed to marry? But I 'd forgotten about
Benjen calling Jon "son" and stuff.

> There seems to be a summary of various theories here:
> http://www.users.bigpond.com/dragonstone/faq/jonfiles.htm
> although the last "theory" is just wrong on so many levels it
> shouldn't even have been suggested.

Thanks for the link! The last theory is hilarious. Although, I suppose, what
with all the incest (Cersei/Jaime, the Targarayens) it had to be at least
thought!!

Cass

Cass

non lue,
10 nov. 2002, 18:53:1010/11/2002

"Tallis" <TallisT...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Welcome, Cass and Nate!
>
> <cackles> Some Jon Targaryen speculation! It's been far too long.

Always happy to bring the fun back!

> Robert's Rebellion waged for quite some time, Cass. Also, considering
> that Lyanna was found in the middle of nowhere (Tower of Joy = in
> secluded part of Dornish mountains), it's a safe bet that precious few
> people ever saw her pregnant.

I couldn't remember reading where Lyanna was eventually found. I think I had
assumed she was in the midddle of the war and therefore there would be
dozens of people (some of whom may have actually survived, but this is a
Martin book after all so I didn't hold my breath) around her. But yes, if
she was secluded for months then I guess I thought wrong!!

Cass

Cass

non lue,
10 nov. 2002, 18:54:0810/11/2002

> Way back on Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:30:07 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
> <cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:
> >I'm just going to you first to make you feel better. I know Janica will
deal
> >with it.
>
> Correct. I appreciate your tact.

Well I am nothing if not tactful.

> >> Welcome!
> >>
> >> *dances the Welcome Wagrrmon Dance for Cass*
> >
> >I get a Welcome Wagrrmon? I feel so honoured!
>
> I feel so out-of-shape.

I shall go and recruit more people for you just so you can get some
exercise. In the meantime, want a nooodle burger?

Cass

William Marnoch

non lue,
10 nov. 2002, 19:12:5310/11/2002
On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:50:25 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"William Marnoch" <wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I get the impression from the books that none of the major characters
>> in the series would have seen Lyanna in the months before her death -
>> apart from Eddard obviously and according the theory he definetely did
>> find out that she was pregnant, that's why he takes care of Jon,
>> because he made a promise to Lyanna as she lay dying. The reason he
>> would lie about Jon's parentage would be that - due to the general
>> hatred of the Targarayens at the time - if people knew Jon was
>> Rhaeger's son, he might have a significantly reduced life expectancy.
>
>Hmmm...true. I always read the promise as about Lyanna's wish to be buried
>at home. And I always thought it was so fervant because she was so far from
>home.

That's what I thought initially as well, but it is possible that she
could be talking about other things.

>> > But it keeps going on
>> >about Eddard being so noble blah blah that he wouldn't/shouldn't have had
>> >bastard. Maybe Jon's his brother's (Brandon?).
>>
>> That's also a possibility as he does call Jon "son" at one point. His
>> name's Benjen BTW.
>
>I was actually thinking about the other brother. There is another brother,
>right? The one who Catelyn was supposed to marry?

Yes, I'd forgotten about him... I can't remember what he's called
although it could be Brandon. I suppose he's possible but if it was
his son, then I don't see why Eddard would feel a need to conceal his
identity, especially since any son of the older brother should be the
real heir of Winterfell and Eddard's too honest not to mention that.

>> There seems to be a summary of various theories here:
>> http://www.users.bigpond.com/dragonstone/faq/jonfiles.htm
>> although the last "theory" is just wrong on so many levels it
>> shouldn't even have been suggested.
>
>Thanks for the link! The last theory is hilarious. Although, I suppose, what
>with all the incest (Cersei/Jaime, the Targarayens) it had to be at least
>thought!!

I just hope the idea never occurs to GRRMartin.

Chucky & Janica

non lue,
11 nov. 2002, 13:00:3911/11/2002
Way back on Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:54:08 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
<cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> >I get a Welcome Wagrrmon? I feel so honoured!

>> I feel so out-of-shape.
>
>I shall go and recruit more people for you just so you can get some
>exercise. In the meantime, want a nooodle burger?

Yay!

Cass

non lue,
11 nov. 2002, 23:30:4611/11/2002

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:50:25 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
> >Hmmm...true. I always read the promise as about Lyanna's wish to be
buried
> >at home. And I always thought it was so fervant because she was so far
from
> >home.
>
> That's what I thought initially as well, but it is possible that she
> could be talking about other things.

Possibly. We never know what's going through the author's mind.

> Yes, I'd forgotten about him... I can't remember what he's called
> although it could be Brandon. I suppose he's possible but if it was
> his son, then I don't see why Eddard would feel a need to conceal his
> identity, especially since any son of the older brother should be the
> real heir of Winterfell and Eddard's too honest not to mention that.

Oh yeah true, that is Ned's way.

> >Thanks for the link! The last theory is hilarious. Although, I suppose,
what
> >with all the incest (Cersei/Jaime, the Targarayens) it had to be at least
> >thought!!
>
> I just hope the idea never occurs to GRRMartin.

Oh, I'm sure it has. Let's hope he doesn't act on it!!

Cass

Tallis

non lue,
12 nov. 2002, 00:12:1412/11/2002
"Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<GjCz9.1257$3Z4.4819@sccrnsc02>...

heh...too true.

> But yes, if
> she was secluded for months then I guess I thought wrong!!

It's hardly blameworthy, eh? There are so many battles, etc. that it's
hard to keep track of them, much less how long they last.

Welcome aboard!

-Tallis

O Grim

non lue,
12 nov. 2002, 16:54:1012/11/2002
> There seems to be a summary of various theories here:
> http://www.users.bigpond.com/dragonstone/faq/jonfiles.htm
> although the last "theory" is just wrong on so many levels it
> shouldn't even have been suggested.

Hmm, they don't seem to have the Red Viper theory on there... and it
makes at least as much sense as Eddard and Lyanna, IMVHO.

Chucky & Janica

non lue,
12 nov. 2002, 13:30:4412/11/2002
Way back on Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:00:39 GMT, this dweeb called
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>I shall go and recruit more people for you just so you can get some
>>exercise. In the meantime, want a nooodle burger?
>
>Yay!

P.S. Thanks for the extra 'o'. Not many people would be that
considerate. Noodles are great, but nooodles are the best for burgers.

Peter Wright

non lue,
14 nov. 2002, 21:28:3114/11/2002
William Marnoch <wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:50:25 GMT, "Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>"William Marnoch" <wil...@wmarnoch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
[ ... ]

>>> That's also a possibility as he does call Jon "son" at one point.

I wouldn't read any more into that than with any adult male casually
referring to a boy as "son" in our culture(s).

>>> His name's Benjen BTW.

It's probably quite unlikely that Benjen could have fathered Jon, even
if it wasn't really stretching logic to consider it. Benjen was
supposed to be quite a few years younger than Lyanna, who was only
around sixteen or so at the time of the Harrenhal tourney. Technically
he _could_ have... maybe... but the best argument against it would be
the same as for Brandon. If it was so, then Ned wouldn't have had any
(good) reason to hide it - and especially not in the way he did.

Also it would be a little bit lame, Ned coming up from the distant
_south_ with this child. Where were either of his seed-spreading
brothers at this time?... the elder dead (murdered by Aerys) and the
younger probably still at Winterfell.

BTW, does anyone have any clue who was Ned/Benjen's _mother_? And what
happened to her? I'm just thinking about it now, and I don't think any
of the books make any reference to her whatsoever. Quite a few to Lord
Rickon Stark, but none to his wife.

>>I was actually thinking about the other brother. There is another
>>brother, right? The one who Catelyn was supposed to marry?

Brandon, yes.

"Needle wouldn't break," Arya said defiantly, but her voice betrayed
her words.

"It has a name, does it?" Her father sighed. "Ah, Arya. You have a
wildness in you, child. 'The wolf blood,' my father used to call it.
Lyanna had a touch of it, and my brother Brandon more than a touch.
It brought them both to an early grave."

> Yes, I'd forgotten about him... I can't remember what he's called
> although it could be Brandon. I suppose he's possible but if it was
> his son, then I don't see why Eddard would feel a need to conceal his
> identity,

Exactly!

> especially since any son of the older brother should be the real
> heir of Winterfell and Eddard's too honest not to mention that.

Erm, not so exactly. Key word here: bastard. Jon being Brandon's
illegitimate son doesn't make it any more likely that he'd inherit
Winterfell than if he was Ned's illegitimate son.

Unless you're implying that Brandon would have legally married some
random woman on his way down south to "rescue" Lyanna, despite (a)
being furiously worried about his sister being kidnapped (as far as he
knew), and (b) that he was betrothed to Catelyn Tully...

Hey, it's not completely impossible (ref. Rob's high-speed bedding and
wedding (in that order) of Jeyne Westerling despite being betrothed to
some unspecified Frey), but unlikely at best.

And as you say, no reason for Ned to hide the truth if it _was_ true.

>>> There seems to be a summary of various theories here:
>>> http://www.users.bigpond.com/dragonstone/faq/jonfiles.htm although
>>> the last "theory" is just wrong on so many levels it
>>> shouldn't even have been suggested.
>>
>>Thanks for the link! The last theory is hilarious.

Indeed. :)

>>Although, I suppose, what with all the incest (Cersei/Jaime, the
>>Targarayens) it had to be at least thought!!
>
> I just hope the idea never occurs to GRRMartin.

Likewise. I guess people just enjoy seeing who can come up with the
most bizarre and unlikely (and unsupportable) theories ;-).

>>Cass

Pete.
--
http://terminus.net.au/~pete/