a.f.grrm A Dance With Dragons death pool

Rast

Jul 5, 2011, 1:03:01 AM7/5/11

ADWD comes out in a couple weeks and I thought we could have a fun game
predicting who GRRM will Kill Off For Real in it. I've divided most of
the major characters into 13 thematic groups. Pick exactly two
characters from each group. For each character who dies permanently in
aDwD, you score 1 point. If both your choices in a group die, you get
one bonus point, for a total of three points from that group.

Apparently ADWD has leaked already, so no fair looking at spoilers.

The Lannisters:
Jamie
Cersei
Tyrion
Kevan
Lancel

The Starks:
Jon Snow
Sansa
Arya
Bran
Rickon

The Guardians:
Jojen Reed
Meera Reed
Hodor
Osha
Howland Reed

The Tullys:
Brynden
Catelyn Stark, permanently this time
Edmure
Roslin Frey
Robert Arryn

Robert's kids:
Myrcella
Tommen
Gendry
Mya Stone
Edric Storm

The Players:
Varys
Littlefinger
Doran Martell
Olenna Redwyne (the Queen of Thorns)
Illyrio

Not Dead Yet: (and full credit if it's revealed that your choice was
already permanently dead)
Brienne
Davos (the Onion Knight)
Sandor Clegane
Gregor Clegane, whatever's left of him
Loras

The Greyjoys:
Euron
Victarion
Aeron
Asha
Theon

At King's Landing:
Queen Margaery
Qyburn
Pycelle
the High Septon
Mace Tyrell

In the North:
Stannis
Melisandre
Mance Rayder
Ramsay Bolton
Roose Bolton

Beyond the Narrow Sea:
Daenerys
Ser Barristan
Strong Belwas
Grey Worm
Ser Jorah

Daenerys' Khal:
Aggo
Jhogo
Rakharo
Jhiqui
Irri

Misc:
Bronn
Ilyn Payne
Samwell
Arianne Martell
Lord Walder Frey

--
There walked into the lethal quicksands a very old man in tattered
purple, crowned with withered vine-leaves and gazing ahead as if upon the

Rast

Jul 5, 2011, 1:12:45 AM7/5/11
Rast wrote on Tue, 5 Jul 2011 01:03:01 -0400:

My predictions. Note that I don't really think GRRM is going to kill off
everyone I chose, just that they are the best choices in their groups.

> The Lannisters:
> Kevan
> Lancel

> The Starks:
> Sansa
> Rickon

> The Guardians:
> Meera Reed
> Hodor

> The Tullys:

> Catelyn Stark, permanently this time

> Robert Arryn

> Robert's kids:
> Tommen
> Edric Storm

> The Players:

> Doran Martell
> Olenna Redwyne (the Queen of Thorns)

> Not Dead Yet:

> Gregor Clegane, whatever's left of him
> Loras

> The Greyjoys:
> Victarion
> Theon

> At King's Landing:
> Pycelle
> Mace Tyrell

> In the North:
> Mance Rayder
> Roose Bolton

> Beyond the Narrow Sea:
> Strong Belwas
> Grey Worm

> Daenerys' Khal:
> Aggo
> Rakharo

> Misc:
> Ilyn Payne

Will in New Haven

Jul 5, 2011, 1:36:43 PM7/5/11

My Annotated Choices:

The Lannisters:
Kevan
Lancel

I THINK that the others are all script-immune for at least this book
and Tyrion until the end of the series.

The Starks:
Sansa
Rickon

Neither is likely but there is one train of thought in fandom that
makes Bran script immune and another that makes Jon script-immune. And
Arya is just too cool a character to die.

The Guardians:
Osha
Howland Reed

Jojen Reed would see his death or his sister's death coming, I think.
Somebody has to carry Bran around.

The Tullys:
Brynden
Robert Arryn

I'd _love_ it to be Catelyn but it's unlikely.

Robert's kids:
Gendry
Edric Storm

The Players:
Littlefinger
Doran Martell

[...]

Rast

Jul 5, 2011, 6:52:38 PM7/5/11
Will in New Haven wrote on Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:36:43 -0700 (PDT):

I agree with most of your reasoning.

> The Starks:
> Sansa
> Rickon
>
> Neither is likely but there is one train of thought in fandom that
> makes Bran script immune and another that makes Jon script-immune. And
> Arya is just too cool a character to die.

Furthermore, killing off Bran or Arya at this stage makes an entire plot
into a shaggy dog story.

> The Guardians:
> Osha
> Howland Reed

Isn't Howland Reed the only person who knows J = R + L?

Though it's a bit surprising that nobody guessed at it over the years.

> I'd _love_ it to be Catelyn but it's unlikely.

Why not? She's clearly doomed, and there's no poarticular need to keep
her around till book seven.

> Littlefinger
Pretty bold choice. I say he sticks around for at least another book,
and may even finish the series as the King or the Hand or whatever.

> Brienne
Another long shot, given that GRRM is clearly in love with her.

John Vreeland

Jul 6, 2011, 1:40:10 AM7/6/11

>> Stannis
to become unStannis

>> Melisandre
to be killed by Jon or Stannis

>> Mance Rayder
>> Ramsay Bolton
>> Roose Bolton

>> Beyond the Narrow Sea:
>> Daenerys
>> Ser Barristan
>> Strong Belwas
>> Grey Worm

It will be too interesting to see all of the above's reactions to
Westeros and vice-versa. Except for Strong Belwas, who could easily
sacrifice his life in single combat at any useful time.

>> Ser Jorah
>>
>> Daenerys' Khal:
>> Aggo
>> Jhogo
>> Rakharo
>> Jhiqui
>> Irri
>>
>> Misc:
>> Bronn
>> Ilyn Payne
>> Samwell
>> Arianne Martell
>> Lord Walder Frey
>>

>My Annotated Choices:
>
>The Lannisters:
>Kevan

Posible, but he is being kept alive for something. Probably to return
as Hand while Cersei is imprisoned. Then when she gets out
...conflict.

>Lancel
He needs to face some decision before he dies.

>I THINK that the others are all script-immune for at least this book
>and Tyrion until the end of the series.
>

>The Starks:
>Sansa
>Rickon
>
>Neither is likely but there is one train of thought in fandom that
>makes Bran script immune and another that makes Jon script-immune. And
>Arya is just too cool a character to die.
>
>The Guardians:
>Osha
>Howland Reed
>
>Jojen Reed would see his death or his sister's death coming, I think.
>Somebody has to carry Bran around.

There has been a lot of foreshadowing that Bran will use Hodor like a
skin changer.

>The Tullys:
>Brynden
>Robert Arryn
>
>I'd _love_ it to be Catelyn but it's unlikely.

Catelyn could die in the next chapter we see her without sacrificing
much development.

>Robert's kids:
>Gendry
>Edric Storm

Gendry will die as soon as he finds out who his father is.

>The Players:
>Littlefinger
>Doran Martell

DM has served his purpose, I think, but LF has not. Not by a long
shot.

>Not Dead Yet: (and full credit if it's revealed that your choice
>was
>already permanently dead)
>Brienne

Definitely possible. I think Jaime will kill her.

>Gregor Clegane, whatever's left of him

Promoted to the kingsguard. To be killed by Sandor, with Sansa's
assistance.

>The Greyjoys:
>Euron
>Theon
Euron won't die until Victarion returns from Essos.

>At King's Landing:
>Pycelle
>the High Septon

Pycelle is quite the survivor. High Septons, even (especially)
sparrows are a copper star a dozen. However, this High Sparrow has an
army, led by a glorious paladin. He will rise high before he falls. I
hope Lancel kills him.

>In the North:
>Mance Rayder

Well, he was being measured for a pyre when we last saw him. I think
his thread is cut.

>Ramsay Bolton
Will outlast his father. Will probably kill his father.

>Beyond the Narrow Sea:
>Strong Belwas

>Ser Jorah
Will return to Westeros. And take the black.

>Daenerys' Khal:
>Aggo
>Jhogo
>

>Misc:
>Bronn

Cannot die until at least Tyrion returns.

>Lord Walder Frey
Will outlive almost all of his clan.
--
My years on the mudpit that is Usnenet have taught me one important thing: three Creation Scientists can have a serious conversation, if two of them are sock puppets.

Ben

Jul 6, 2011, 11:34:08 AM7/6/11
On Jul 4, 10:03 pm, Rast <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ADWD comes out in a couple weeks and I thought we could have a fun game
> predicting who GRRM will Kill Off For Real in it. I've divided most of
> the major characters into 13 thematic groups. Pick exactly two
> characters from each group. For each character who dies permanently in
> aDwD, you score 1 point. If both your choices in a group die, you get
> one bonus point, for a total of three points from that group.
>
> Apparently ADWD has leaked already, so no fair looking at spoilers.
>
> The Lannisters:
> Jamie
> Cersei
> Tyrion
> Kevan
> Lancel

Definitely not Jaime or Tyrion. Cersei is a dark horse, but it’s got
to be Kevan or Lancel. Lancel is the best choice, so I’ll go with
Kevan.

> The Starks:
> Jon Snow
> Sansa
> Arya
> Bran
> Rickon

None of the above. Not a brave choice, but I think I can say with
certainty that even given GRRM’s propensities, we won’t lose any of
the Starks (including Snow).

> The Guardians:
> Jojen Reed
> Meera Reed
> Hodor
> Osha
> Howland Reed

Howland Reed and his kids still have a story to tell, and Hodor’s
death wouldn’t really mean anything, so I have to go with Osha here.

> The Tullys:
> Brynden
> Catelyn Stark, permanently this time
> Edmure
> Roslin Frey
> Robert Arryn

Here’s a group we might lose all of them. Catelyn’s already dead but
her revenant is a great character (better than the living Cat I would
say) so not her. Who the hell is Roslin Frey again? Safe bet is
anybody with Frey at the end of their name, but I think Robert Arryn
is an obvious choice. I’ll go with that.

> Robert's kids:
> Myrcella
> Tommen
> Gendry
> Mya Stone
> Edric Storm

Not Mya or Gendry almost certainly. Edric Storm may very well be the
one but it wouldn’t be much of an impact. We know by prophecy that all
of Cersei’s kids are going to bite the big one. As Tommen is the king
right now I think he’s probably going to be next. I’ll go with him.

> The Players:
> Varys
> Littlefinger
> Doran Martell
> Olenna Redwyne (the Queen of Thorns)
> Illyrio

Definitely not Varys, Baelish, or Illyrio. Both the Queen of Thorns
and Doran Martell have factors pointing them (age and gout) so it’s a
toss-up. Let’s go with Olenna.

> Not Dead Yet: (and full credit if it's revealed that your choice was
> already permanently dead)
> Brienne
> Davos (the Onion Knight)
> Sandor Clegane
> Gregor Clegane, whatever's left of him
> Loras

Here’s a group even more that it could be all of them. I am going to
say Gregor definitely. All the others I believe at this point are
still alive though our textual indicators might lead us to believe
otherwise.

> The Greyjoys:
> Euron
> Victarion
> Aeron
> Asha
> Theon

Oh please Theon. I want it to be him so bad that I have to choose him,
even if one of the elder Greyjoys makes more sense.

> At King's Landing:
> Queen Margaery
> Qyburn
> Pycelle
> the High Septon
> Mace Tyrell

Pycelle is almost certainly first. However this is another group all
of whom are distinctly unsafe.

> In the North:
> Stannis
> Melisandre
> Mance Rayder
> Ramsay Bolton
> Roose Bolton

Nice group to choose from. I will say the Bastard is my choice, again
probably just a preference rather than a rationale.

> Beyond the Narrow Sea:
> Daenerys
> Ser Barristan
> Strong Belwas
> Grey Worm
> Ser Jorah

Jorah is overdue for a tragic death. Much as I would like to flip it,
I think I will stick with him.

> Daenerys' Khal:
> Aggo
> Jhogo
> Rakharo
> Jhiqui
> Irri

Rakharo was the only one to swear fealty to Dany, so I am guessing
he's the one that will get it. Either that or Irri, though I don't
think her death would be much to talk about at this point.

> Misc:
> Bronn
> Ilyn Payne
> Samwell
> Arianne Martell
> Lord Walder Frey

Walder!!!! Must be, only character I want to die more than I wanted
Joffrey.
Awesome topic, Rast. I love it.

Chucky & Janica

Jul 9, 2011, 6:30:09 AM7/9/11
On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 01:03:01 -0400, Rast <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>ADWD comes out in a couple weeks and I thought we could have a fun game
>predicting who GRRM will Kill Off For Real in it. I've divided most of
>the major characters into 13 thematic groups. Pick exactly two
>characters from each group. For each character who dies permanently in
>aDwD, you score 1 point. If both your choices in a group die, you get
>one bonus point, for a total of three points from that group.

I'm in, although some of these are a bit "safe" for guessing, they
should have shorter odds.

>The Lannisters:
>Kevan
>Lancel

Since I have to pick two from each group, I'll go with these although
I think Kevan is not likely.

>The Starks:
>Sansa
>Rickon

Please please please.

>The Guardians:
>Meera Reed
>Howland Reed

Howland has to die before he meets Jon.

>The Tullys:

>Catelyn Stark, permanently this time
>Edmure
>

>Robert's kids:
>Tommen
>Mya Stone

Myrcella already had her shot at dying.

>The Players:
>Doran Martell
>Illyrio

*shrug*

>Not Dead Yet: (and full credit if it's revealed that your choice was
>already permanently dead)
>Brienne
>Davos (the Onion Knight)
>Sandor Clegane
>Gregor Clegane, whatever's left of him
>Loras

Shit, I think all these are alive, and can't see them dying. But will
go with Gregor and Davos.

>The Greyjoys:
>Victarion
>Theon

Again, please.

>At King's Landing:
>Queen Margaery

>Pycelle

>In the North:
>Stannis
>Melisandre
>

>Beyond the Narrow Sea:
>Strong Belwas

>Ser Jorah
>
>Daenerys' Khal:
>Aggo
>Jhogo

No idea, so just guessed.

>Misc:
>Ilyn Payne
>Lord Walder Frey

Yay.

Nice thread. Let's keep track of these.

C&J

Penelope Periwinkle

Jul 10, 2011, 10:51:57 PM7/10/11
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 13:30:09 +0300, Chucky & Janica
<janica...@kolumbus.fi> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 01:03:01 -0400, Rast <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Rickon
>
>Please please please.
>
>>The Guardians:
>>Meera Reed
>>Howland Reed
>
>Howland has to die before he meets Jon.

No, he must not die. He must tell Jon that his parents are
Rheager and Lyanna, or however you spell their names.

Howland Reed must survive long enough to make Chucky writhe and
shriek at the clicheedness of it all. Preferably with his pants
on; but still, Chucky must suffer a hackneyed fantasy trope!

Penelope

Chucky & Janica

Jul 12, 2011, 6:22:21 AM7/12/11
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:51:57 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
<penp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Howland Reed must survive long enough to make Chucky writhe and
>shriek at the clicheedness of it all. Preferably with his pants
>on; but still, Chucky must suffer a hackneyed fantasy trope!

Must he? *Must* he?

C&J

Damn.

Penelope Periwinkle

Jul 12, 2011, 9:06:48 AM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 6:22 am, Chucky & Janica <janica.hin...@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:51:57 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
>
> <penpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Howland Reed must survive long enough to make Chucky writhe and
> >shriek at the clicheedness of it all. Preferably with his pants
> >on; but still, Chucky must suffer a hackneyed fantasy trope!
>
> Must he? *Must* he?

Yes.

hth

Penelope

> C&J
>
> Damn.

Suck it up, Anti-cliche Boy.

Chucky & Janica

Jul 22, 2011, 8:39:19 AM7/22/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:06:48 -0700 (PDT), Penelope Periwinkle
<penp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chucky must suffer a hackneyed fantasy trope!
>>
>> Must he? *Must* he?
>
>Yes.

Well I still think Martin should be ashamed of himself.

C&J

Penelope Periwinkle

Jul 24, 2011, 10:42:42 AM7/24/11

We noticed.