Beeb sports reporter mangles the English Language!

nemo

Oct 15, 2005, 7:19:33 PM10/15/05
On Radio 4 just now:

"Arsenal's tidal hopes have now faded."

So they've given up soccer and taken up paddling???

Lost Corrs

Oct 16, 2005, 3:35:03 AM10/16/05

> On Radio 4 just now:
>
> "Arsenal's tidal hopes have now faded."
>
> So they've given up soccer and taken up paddling???

I can't see any of them catching flounders with a trident.

(now that Henry is injured)

H.

nemo

Oct 16, 2005, 4:56:35 PM10/16/05

"Lost Corrs" <sar...@dfsh.com> wrote in message
Henry Who? Henry Hall? Henry VIII?

And catching flounders with a trident? That's a bit of an overkill innit? A
a crews' missile would blow the fish to bits together with the fisherman and
a large part of the country!

The eels are alive - with the sound of music!!!!

I know nothing at all about soccer, footer, booter, shoer or ankler except
they're all paid too much!

Snooker's the only sport I ever watch coz years ago I used to play. Don't
get excited. I was crap! It was fun though.

MartinS

Oct 16, 2005, 6:13:04 PM10/16/05
"nemo" <ne...@newtylust.nit> wrote:
> "Lost Corrs" <sar...@dfsh.com> wrote...
>> >"nemo" <ne...@newtylust.nit> wrote...
>> > On Radio 4 just now:
>> >
>> > "Arsenal's tidal hopes have now faded."
>> >
>> > So they've given up soccer and taken up paddling???
>>
>> I can't see any of them catching flounders with a trident.
>>
>> (now that Henry is injured)
>>
> Henry Who? Henry Hall? Henry VIII?
>
> And catching flounders with a trident? That's a bit of an overkill
> innit? A a crews' missile would blow the fish to bits together with
> the fisherman and a large part of the country!
>
> The eels are alive - with the sound of music!!!!
>
> I know nothing at all about soccer, footer, booter, shoer or ankler
> except they're all paid too much!
>
> Snooker's the only sport I ever watch coz years ago I used to play.
> Don't get excited. I was crap! It was fun though.

It's one of those indoor sports you can enjoy without being much good at
it - like ten-pin bowling.

--
Martin S.

nemo

Oct 17, 2005, 4:21:03 AM10/17/05

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

I was crap at that too!

There was a Traffic Warden Supervisor at NDW (King's Cross) where I was who
did nothing other than hide in the basement of the nick playing snooker all
day! Bert Tuck was his name.

When the long neglected road markings in Chapel Market, Islington were
finally renewed and we were told to pay it special attention with him in
charge, some wit pointed out that the only way we'd ever get him up there
would be to put the snooker table in the back of the van!

This was about 27 years ago BTW, when the idea of the job was to keep the
traffic moving, not to raise stacks of money for the local council! I
wouldn't do it now not for twice the crap Ł6 odd per hour pittance they get.

MartinS

Oct 17, 2005, 10:47:36 PM10/17/05
"nemo" <ne...@newtylust.nit> wrote:

> There was a Traffic Warden Supervisor at NDW (King's Cross) where I
> was who did nothing other than hide in the basement of the nick
> playing snooker all day! Bert Tuck was his name.
>
> When the long neglected road markings in Chapel Market, Islington were
> finally renewed and we were told to pay it special attention with him
> in charge, some wit pointed out that the only way we'd ever get him up
> there would be to put the snooker table in the back of the van!
>
> This was about 27 years ago BTW, when the idea of the job was to keep
> the traffic moving, not to raise stacks of money for the local

> council! I wouldn't do it now not for twice the crap £6 odd per hour
> pittance they get.

Did you ever meet Lovely Rita Meter Maid?

I'd love to stick a bob in her slot!

Local TV ad for a new (or recycled, or maybe re-Hertzed) radio station
calling itself BOB-FM: "Turn Your Knob Towards BOB".

--
Martin S.

nemo

Oct 19, 2005, 3:56:11 AM10/19/05

> "nemo" <ne...@newtylust.nit> wrote:
>
> > There was a Traffic Warden Supervisor at NDW (King's Cross) where I
> > was who did nothing other than hide in the basement of the nick
> > playing snooker all day! Bert Tuck was his name.
> >
> > When the long neglected road markings in Chapel Market, Islington were
> > finally renewed and we were told to pay it special attention with him
> > in charge, some wit pointed out that the only way we'd ever get him up
> > there would be to put the snooker table in the back of the van!
> >
> > This was about 27 years ago BTW, when the idea of the job was to keep
> > the traffic moving, not to raise stacks of money for the local
> > council! I wouldn't do it now not for twice the crap £6 odd per hour
> > pittance they get.
>
> Did you ever meet Lovely Rita Meter Maid?

I met several lovely ones actually. Janice, Liz, Barbara spring to mind.

Grams: Boing! Boing! Boung!

The prettiest one of the lot - can't remember her name - turned out to be
gay though and ended up going round with one with a face like the back of a
bus! Why she became spherical like that I've no idea. It couldn't have been
pregnancy.

> I'd love to stick a bob in her slot!
>
> Local TV ad for a new (or recycled, or maybe re-Hertzed) radio station
> calling itself BOB-FM: "Turn Your Knob Towards BOB".

LOL.

BTW. Looking at your message sauce - If Octanews has got money to burn going
into new ventures, how come the biggulp server is still crap?

MartinS

Oct 19, 2005, 11:22:38 AM10/19/05
"nemo" <ne...@newtylust.nit> wrote:
> "MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote...

>> "nemo" <ne...@newtylust.nit> wrote:
>>
>> > There was a Traffic Warden Supervisor at NDW (King's Cross) where I
>> > was who did nothing other than hide in the basement of the nick
>> > playing snooker all day! Bert Tuck was his name.
>> >
>> > When the long neglected road markings in Chapel Market, Islington
>> > were finally renewed and we were told to pay it special attention
>> > with him in charge, some wit pointed out that the only way we'd
>> > ever get him up there would be to put the snooker table in the back
>> > of the van!
>> >
>> > This was about 27 years ago BTW, when the idea of the job was to
>> > keep the traffic moving, not to raise stacks of money for the local
>> > council! I wouldn't do it now not for twice the crap Ł6 odd per

>> > hour pittance they get.
>>
>> Did you ever meet Lovely Rita Meter Maid?
>
> I met several lovely ones actually. Janice, Liz, Barbara spring to
> mind.
>
> Grams: Boing! Boing! Boung!
>
> The prettiest one of the lot - can't remember her name - turned out to
> be gay though and ended up going round with one with a face like the
> back of a bus! Why she became spherical like that I've no idea. It
> couldn't have been pregnancy.
>
>> I'd love to stick a bob in her slot!
>>
>> Local TV ad for a new (or recycled, or maybe re-Hertzed) radio
>> station calling itself BOB-FM: "Turn Your Knob Towards BOB".
>>
> LOL.
>
> BTW. Looking at your message sauce - If Octanews has got money to burn
> going into new ventures, how come the biggulp server is still crap?

Biggulp is and always has been an experimental free server with limited
capacity, one of the few offering free binaries. Try it on the weekend,
Mike often ups the volume (see alt.free.newservers for announcements). I
read text groups from news.readfreenews.net, which is also free.

There's a temporary free binaries test server available from Yottanews
that rocks; just stick 66.150.105.20 in your server name/address box.

--
Martin S.

nemo

Oct 19, 2005, 10:57:10 PM10/19/05

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message
Thanks. I'll try that.

What's annoying is the variability. When I first went on there it was
brilliant - and actually faster than YouBlunder. It was like that for a good
few months and then it was up and down like a yo-yo with long gaps where I
can't get in at all.

I suppose it starts running OK when people ditch it after getting fed up
with it and its endless false error messages, then as soon as the same
people discover it's OK and go back on there it gets congested again.

Still - it's better than nuffink for the groups that YouBlunder dumped
shortly after it set up its own new binaries server and for filling in
missing parts in mp3s etc.