More Furry BBS history

GERMPARROT

Sep 9, 2000, 12:20:47 AM9/9/00
There were actually quite a few furry-type bbs's around in the early-to-late '80's, I remember connecting to a lot of them at 300 baud
(that's the fastest speed there was back then, but it seemed like magic!) Computer Shopper used to print big lists of BBS names and
numbers, and I would call the ones that sounded furry or semi-furry. I remember calling ones named Otter's Holt, Polar Den, Wonder World in
Ohio, The Fox Hole, Eagle's Roost, and many MANY others! My phone was even disconnected a couple of times because I ran up such a bill,
never realizing that one day soon unlimited access would be FREE (or almost free). Does anyone have or know where to find a list of some of
these old bbs names and numbers? There must have been hundreds, (although probably not 1 out of 50 is still around because of the
Internet). Some have probably evolved into web sites. Others were just a flash in the pan and soon disappeared (It seemed a lot of
teenagers liked to set them up in their bedrooms for awhile). Some I tried sounded furry but weren't (The Bear's Den, for instance, turned
out to be a BBS for gay men). It would sure be fun to see a lot of those old names again, if anyone has kept track of them...

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Sep 9, 2000, 8:00:34 PM9/9/00
The back of early issues of Yarf had bbs lists.

I was one of the sysops of The Electric Holt which was an ElfQuest/Furry BBS
in Philly.

--
"if Marylin Manson has more of an influence on a kid than the kid's parents
do, then maybe the parents need to look at how they're raising their kids."

PeterCat

Sep 10, 2000, 10:06:12 PM9/10/00
In article <ftdjrssvu5f9paehi...@4ax.com>, GERMPARROT
<germp...@email.com> wrote:

> There were actually quite a few furry-type bbs's around in the
> early-to-late '80's, I remember connecting to a lot of them at 300 baud
> (that's the fastest speed there was back then, but it seemed like magic!)

> [...] It would sure be fun to see a lot of those

> old names again, if anyone has kept track of them...

I recall Yarf! back in the early '90s published a list of furry BBSs in
each issue, which is how I first found out about them (and about
alt.fan.furry, for that matter).

Here are some old lists I had hanging around my HD. (I really oughta
clean out some of the old Infopage directories... for all I know the
old direct URLs to these files still work, but Tigerden seems to be
down at the moment.)

[Slightly modified to protect the innocents who may have been assigned
the old phone numbers!]
________

Last Modified: 25 Jan 1996

There are a few dozen BBS's with a furry theme ... many of them share
data (files and message areas) using the FidoNet system, and hence are
known as "FurNet." Kay or Nicolai Shapero occasionally posts the most
current list of active Furnet BBS's to alt.fan.furry [...]

Here's a list of furry BBS's not part of FurNet, which have been
mentioned on alt.fan.furry. Gnomes Guest House, which can be
telnetted-to from the Internet, has a furry section run by boojum.

Gardens of Avalon ____________________________________________ 210-308-####
Xanth __________________ Toronto ON _______ Terry Smith ______ 905-826-####
(or) ________________________________________________________ 905-858-####
Oddballs Diner _________ United Kingdom ___ Oddball _________ 0181-244-####
Katmandu _______________ United Kingdom ___ Simba ___________ 0181-303-####
(Saturday 2300 to Sunday 0700 GMT)

Gnomes Guest House telnet 205.149.###.##
As for Gnomes Guest House, boojum has this to say:

boojum bounces happily up an down on his toes. "The Gnomes Guest
House is on Internet at 205.149.166.40! You can telnet to it, log in
and have fun! We have a number of furry sections and furries on the
board."

He giggles, "But best of all we have the Gaming Sections! I would
like to invite (beg) any Furry GM's out there who might be remotly
interested in running Furry Roleplaying Games online to telnet to
there and look into it! I hope we will get lots of GM's so all us
Furries can play in their games!"

"For all the Furry Players out there, the best GM currently on the
GGH is Melchar. She has ALOT of experience GM'ing and she allows
Furries into many of her games! She's currently running 8 or 9 games
on the GGH!"
________

[Say, whatever happened to boojum, anyway?]
________

Subject: [alt.fan.furry] Furry BBS List
Newsgroups: alt.fan.furry
Date: 02 Sep 96 09:50:02
From: kay.shapero@******.com (Kay Shapero)

Name Location Phone Number
==== ======== ============
StormGate Aerie Los Angeles CA 1-310-822-####
Tigers Den Garden Grove CA 1-714-530-####
The Otter Limits GSN Sacramento CA 1-916-972-####*
DOWN [Bastion of Insanity Sacramento CA 1-916-972-####!]
ClawMarks Oakland CA 1-510-452-####~
Motherboard III/586 Hayward CA 1-510-783-####~
Forbidden Grove BBS Auburn GA 1-770-868-####!
DOWN [The Animation Paradox Marietta GA 1-770-926-####*]
Super Deformed BBS Smyrna GA 1-770-333-####*
NVARNG Carson City NV 1-702-887-####
The United Front(Node1) Queens NY 1-718-886-####*
(Node 2) Queens NY 1-718-886-####~
The Trap Line (Node1) Toronto ON 1-416-588-####~
The Trap Line (Node2) Toronto ON 1-416-588-####*
Fvrcvs Maximvs Philadelphia PA 1-215-483-####*
Coyote's Kiva Garland TX 1-214-686-####*
Naorhy Imperial Republic San Antonio TX 1-210-670-####*
The Matrix Midlothian VA 1-804-323-####~
The Time Machine (Node1) Newport News VA 1-804-599-####*
The Time Machine (Node2) Newport News VA 1-804-595-####*
The Thing Under the Stairs Newport News VA 1-804-988-####*
Imagination Station Marysville WA 1-360-659-####
The Dragon's Cave Kent WA 1-206-639-####!
DOWN [NaWali Shores II Kennewick, WA 1-509-582-####]
Shadowfox! Green Bay WI 1-414-468-####~

* = 14,400 baud modem
! = 28,800 baud modem
~ = 33,600 baud modem (V.34+)