Scottish stand-up comedian disses Disney sequels

Oliver

Aug 29, 2011, 8:53:55 AM8/29/11
"A friend gave me the Little Mermaid trilogy. That’s what sparked the
show."

"For those who are not well-versed in the Disney STDVDs [straight-to-
DVDs], you should know that there are fifty-four (54). The first was
Return of Jafar, a sequel to Aladdin that was part of my collection
growing up when I was not enough of a film aficionado to evaluate it
as any less than amazing! Disney has unleashed half-baked sequels to
Tarzan, Fox & the Hound, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, The Lion King,
Bambi, Lady & the Tramp, Beauty & the Beast, and just about any other
film that has ever turned a decent profit for their enterprise."

"Thankfully, Thom has watched them all so that we don’t have to."

http://www.laughspin.com/2011/08/23/laughspins-look-inside-comedy-at-the-edinburgh-fringe-festival-part-7/

§nühw¤£f

Aug 29, 2011, 9:49:10 AM8/29/11

You mean when they're not driving their employees to suicide?

Disney Factory Faces Probe into Sweatshop Suicide Claims
Human rights campaigners say Chinese factories using children as young
as 14 and that workers forced to do
overtime

Disney's best-selling Cars toys are being made in a factory in China
that uses child labor and forces staff to do three times the
amount of overtime allowed by law, according to an investigation.

One worker reportedly killed herself after being repeatedly shouted at
by bosses.
Others cited worries over poisonous chemicals. Disney has now launched
its own investigation.
It is claimed some of the 6,000 employees have to work an extra 120
hours every month to meet demand from western shops for
the latest toys.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/08/28

--
http://www.skepticalscience.com/
http://stopbeck.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org

Wanderer

Aug 29, 2011, 4:20:43 PM8/29/11
Note, however, that the company doesn't even work directly for Disney...
it's part of Mattel. Disney got a mention strictly because they're a more
famous company.

Skytech

Aug 30, 2011, 8:01:54 AM8/30/11
What product dumped on the market isn't made with chinese slave
labor?! To single out Disney just shows the comedian's personal bias.

If the person did an inventory of personal beloved items and who made
them... well, probably would still complain about Disney. It's amazing
the comedian isn't directing that ire at the chinese goverment that
whole-heartedly and directly gets involved in slavery practices
against their own people.

As soon as the Antarctic melts I'm moving! Last place on Earth not
globalized.

§nühw¤£f

Aug 30, 2011, 9:54:47 AM8/30/11
Wanderer wrote:
> Note, however, that the company doesn't even work directly for Disney...
> it's part of Mattel. Disney got a mention strictly because they're a more
> famous company.

So you're saying they have *no* control over the production of their
toys? Thats funny. I can only assume that you're ok with this:"Disney's
best-selling Cars toys are being made in a factory in China that uses
child labor and forces staff to do three times the
amount of overtime allowed by law".

Oh thats right, you're from texASS. Where you execute tards, children &
women. Human rights arnt really a big priority for you are they, chuck?
^_^

§nühw¤£f

Aug 30, 2011, 9:58:47 AM8/30/11
Skytech wrote:
> What product dumped on the market isn't made with chinese slave
> labor?! To single out Disney just shows the comedian's personal bias.
>
> If the person did an inventory of personal beloved items and who made
> them... well, probably would still complain about Disney. It's amazing
> the comedian isn't directing that ire at the chinese goverment that
> whole-heartedly and directly gets involved in slavery practices
> against their own people.

Really? You need a thorough explanation of the market and economics?
Sheesh. Ok, short form: demand affects supply. If consumers *demand*
that products not be made with slave/child labor, the supply responds.
Can you petition Disney or China? Sure, but its easier and more
effective to alert Disney to this extremely bad PR and thus effect change.

> As soon as the Antarctic melts I'm moving! Last place on Earth not
> globalized.

<rolls eyes>

Inkan1969

Sep 5, 2011, 4:36:44 PM9/5/11
> http://www.laughspin.com/2011/08/23/laughspins-look-inside-comedy-at-...

A little late to the party, isn't he, since Disney stopped making
cheapquels a few years back.

- Inkan1969