ConFurence - How was it?

Matthew High

Apr 29, 2002, 10:03:33 PM4/29/02
Hey all,

For everyone that made it to Confurence this year, I would be interested in
hearing what they thought about it.

(I was there pretty much strictly as a dealer in the dealer's room.
Sales-wise, I did very well last year, and slightly better this year. It
seemed like attendance was noticably higher. Everything also seemed quite
relaxed and laid back - I think ConFurence has turned more into a relaxacon
over the past couple of years. As far as I could tell, it seems like most
people were having a pretty good time - I can't recall anyone expressing any
complaints.)
----------
"Matt! Come into the light" "No! I like the darkness!"
Distributor/Retailer Liaison Radio Comix http://www.radiocomix.com
Promotion/Sales Cold Cut Distribution http://www.coldcut.com

Roadrodent

Apr 30, 2002, 1:52:10 AM4/30/02
> For everyone that made it to Confurence this year, I would be interested
in
> hearing what they thought about it.

Can do that.

> (I was there pretty much strictly as a dealer in the dealer's room.
> Sales-wise, I did very well last year, and slightly better this year.

Was acting as agent for Shanda Fantasy Arts (Neither Mike nor Carole
could make it this year due to jobs and bills.) along with Bernard Doove.
Sales were better this year then last. I would say, in our case, up at
least 50%.

>It seemed like attendance was noticably higher. Everything also seemed
quite
> relaxed and laid back - I think ConFurence has turned more into a
relaxacon
> over the past couple of years. As far as I could tell, it seems like most
> people were having a pretty good time - I can't recall anyone expressing
any
> complaints.)

The attendance seemed just a little bit higher. The extra business came
from folks willing to spend more then last year. Perhaps an indication that
the economic slowdown has bottomed out and that things will get better as
time goes on (Have bought tables so we plan to be there next year.).
Artist's alley looked to be better set up this year and most of those tables
were occupied. All tables in the dealer's room were occupied (This is good
because last year about a dozen tables were empty). Art show was fairly
full and, surprisingly, the NC-17 section was pretty tame this time around.

Was a relaxed con and with Bernard and I able to spell each other the
two of us were able to get sketchbooks done and get in bids at the art show
(Won several pieces there.) Agree on the relaxed part. With few
exceptions, everyone was pretty laid back.

Had a pirate rabbit come in and collected "booty" for Jim Hardiman. Am
waiting to hear how that and the various charity sales went. An item of
note: Kevin Duane auctioned of himself as a target for a cream pie in the
face. The three top bidders all got to take their shots at him. Heard that
that brought in an additional $420.00 for Jim. Kevin, face cleaned up but
the remains of some of the cream still on him came into the dealer's room
and took a few bows. Thanks Kevin, you did good this time.
Another thing of note was that a Dark Natasha illo of one of Jim's skunk
girls went for $300.00 at auction. Many thanks there, also.

Thanks to Darrel Exline, Duane Stewart, Glen wooton, the the rest of the
staff for help and a very good con. Looking forward to next year.

Richard F. "Treerat" Thatcher

Gary Renaud

Apr 30, 2002, 10:37:07 PM4/30/02
I attended this year, but did NOT last year. I can only compare to 2000.
If that doesn't interest you, push the down arrow.

I didn't count muzzles, but there SEEMED to be significantly fewer
people. The Artists' Alley had empty tables at some times during the
Con. Some people were not in the Dealers' Den this time around. OTOP,
I did see some new folks. I'd call it not quite even.

The Art Show had empty panels, both in the Clean and Dirty sections.
I didn't count the panels, so don't know if it's because we had more
panels or fewer artists. A few artists didn't have as much or as good
of stuff as I remembered. I would GUESS that they are putting the
bigger efforts for FC and Anthro. I do know that I got a lot of art
at a pretty good price. The Sunday afternoon crush seemed about the
same, though the wider aisles made it possible to get around, even at
1155. There was a inexcusable lack of jackals. Ideally, the low
prices will bring back buyers quicker than it will drive off artists.

I very cleverly found a way to miss the costume show, so cannot comment
there. I saw only a few folks in full costume in the halls or events.

The Ice Cream Social wasn't. As social, that is. In 1999, I can
remember sitting with people I'd never seen before and chatting. This
year, it seemed to be more cliquish.

I also cannot compare CF to any other medium- or large-sized con. I
only go to cons to which I can drive, and CF is the only one of those,
barring a perhaps once-in-a-decade trip.

Will I go to CF in 2003? Nope.
Will I go to CF in 2004? Maybe.

--
RIP Coconut 16 APR 02. The best dog in the whole world.
2 years was far less than he deserved.

Gary Renaud (Cami too!) gre...@acm.org <--- Please use this
For contact info, see: http://home.earthlink.net/~sleepyjackal/contact.htm

Blackberry

May 1, 2002, 12:04:13 AM5/1/02
On Wed, 01 May 2002 02:37:07 GMT, Gary wrote:

>[...]

>Will I go to CF in 2003? Nope.
>Will I go to CF in 2004? Maybe.

Thanks for the review, but I was unclear here: Is it the convention that's
causing you not to go or some outside force?

--
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.

Terry Whittier

May 1, 2002, 8:21:01 PM5/1/02
The dealer's room had a really nice layout this year. Aisle space was great.
The convention space was obviously a bit more than we needed.
I vote we consider taking ConFurence back to The Atrium next year and make
it a
Furry Hotel for the weekend like we used to. Cosy.

Gary Renaud

May 1, 2002, 10:00:37 PM5/1/02
"Is it the convention that's causing you not to go or some outside force?"

Ah. Sorry about that.

Basically, it's reality. It's a 7-hour trip each way (I refuse to fly to a
Con; the logistics of artwork are too much). So, I have to blow 2 days for
trips. Then, I have to find a dog-sitter for My "kids."

So, going to a Con is a lot of effort. (The money isn't a problem.) Now, if
I were the world's biggest furry fan, that might not matter. However, I'm
not. I'm more of a dilettante. I like furry art and might be interested in
a furry RPG, and like to see costumes, but that's about it. I was never into
the MUD scene and am definitely not a "lifestyler."

Every other year I can manage.

BTW, that's part of the reason I don't go to other cons. Too far to drive,
or if I do, too many vacation and pet-sitting days. Now, if they held a really
big Con in, say, Phoenix, I'd go every year. (Yes, I go to ZonieCon, but that's
not what I would call a "major" con.)

Michael Angel Pena

May 1, 2002, 11:17:19 PM5/1/02
Greetings Matt!

I had a great time! I agree it was a nice relaxing con.

Lots of nice people to meet, I wish I could remember all their names.
I had great neighbors in the Dealers Den.

Meeting Mike Kazalah for the first time was quite a rush as I have
always admired his brushwork. Having a conversation with him is quite
enjoyable.

Susan Van Camp was my right hand side neighbor and we had a great ime
watching each other's tables. It is always a pleasure dealing with
such a well mannered professional. I also had fun asking about her
Acrylic techniques and color printing methods. Her artwork seems to
jump out of the page at you. Quite awesome!

My other neighbors J. Hayden, Taral Wayne, and the Akbar press were
also great fun. I really enjoyed it when the Akbar press placed a
ferret plush on top of thier giant inflatable deer. I also enjoyed
speaking with Dewayne Stuart, Shannon Stuart, Calvin(the Hornsmythe),
Heather(didn't get the last name, sat next to Roz), David Bliss,
Shirotora, and Roz Gibson.

I was a bit dissappointed when I went when to the Incisor Edition SIG
and I was the only one sitting in a very large room. Ah well same
thing happened last year! Perhaps in 2003 the rodents and Lapines will
show :)

Basically it was a great time from when I arrived on Thursday till I
left. Interesting fact is on the plane flight back I accidently
spilled orange juice on myself and one of the roadies for The Little
River Band. Neat guy as he was not at all upset. Their roadies and the
one band member on the flight to Austin seemed to be some of the
happiest people on earth. It is always good to see people who enjoy
thier lives :)

Thats it! The vast majority of the attendees to ConFurence looked
happy this year! Just happy to be alive. It was great to see!

See ya next year!!!

Sincerely,
Michael Angel Peña(AKA Sparrow...A Rabbit)
Artist-Laughing Rabbit Graphics
http://lonestar.texas.net/~sparrow/sparrow.htm

On 30 Apr 2002 02:03:33 GMT, matt...@aol.comPINKMEAT (Matthew High)

Mike & Carole Curtis

May 2, 2002, 8:55:15 AM5/2/02

> Basically it was a great time from when I arrived on Thursday till I
> left. Interesting fact is on the plane flight back I accidently
> spilled orange juice on myself and one of the roadies for The Little
> River Band. Neat guy as he was not at all upset. Their roadies and the
> one band member on the flight to Austin seemed to be some of the
> happiest people on earth. It is always good to see people who enjoy
> thier lives :)
>

> Sincerely,

> Michael Angel Peña(AKA Sparrow...A Rabbit)

How strange.

The Little River Band will be in Conway this Saturday, where I will be
playing Batman in the Toad Suck Parade as always.

Mike

Doodles

May 2, 2002, 7:01:01 PM5/2/02
"Terry Whittier" <tpuffie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

They signed a three-year contract for CF back in 2000, covering 2001-2003,
but 2004 is being examined by Darrell. He'll let us know once he's got that
laid out. For now, one more year in Burbank.

Since CF's theme will be the old west, we need to have a hoe-down. With
real hoes. =};-3

Michael Angel Pena

May 2, 2002, 7:18:11 PM5/2/02
Greetings Tim!

From what I heard from their conversation with an adoring fan, all
the current band members are Australian except for one American. Of
the four roadies I saw I would guess that three of them were
Australian from their accent.

The only song I recall from them is "Lonesome Loser" which I think has
some beautiful harmonies in it.

On Fri, 03 May 2002 01:27:52 +1000, Tim Gadd <nota...@addy.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 02 May 2002 03:17:19 GMT, spa...@texas.net (Michael Angel Pena)
>wrote:

>>Little River Band. Neat guy as he was not at all upset. Their roadies and the
>>one band member on the flight to Austin seemed to be some of the
>>happiest people on earth. It is always good to see people who enjoy
>>thier lives :)
>

>Just curious - are there any Australians left in that band now?
>
>(I remember them as producing a succession of boring singles in Australia
>in the mid 70's,but that was before they went on to produce whatever they
>produced that made them big in America (but which I assume was another
>succession of boring singles))
>--
>Tim Gadd | fluke .com.au
>Hobart, Tasmania | @southcom
>

>Homepage: hhttp://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/university/222/
>
> 'People are under the misapprehension that the brain is
> situated in the human head. Nothing could be further from
> the truth. It is carried by the wind from the Caspian Sea'
>
> - Nikolai Gogol: Diary of a Madman

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus)

May 3, 2002, 7:49:20 PM5/3/02
On Fri, 03 May 2002 01:27:52 +1000, Tim Gadd <nota...@addy.com> wrote:

[...]

> Just curious - are there any Australians left in that band now?

The only thing I know noteworthy about that band is they have a cool
looking platypus in there logo.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus)

May 3, 2002, 7:50:22 PM5/3/02
On Thu, 2 May 2002 16:01:01 -0700, Doodles
<dood...@cheesies.pacbell.net> wrote:

[...]

> Since CF's theme will be the old west, we need to have a hoe-down. With
> real hoes. =};-3

Why am I reminded of the song "Rocky Racoon" by the beatels.