Hello ! newbie here :)

luanne

Mar 25, 2013, 8:13:29 PM3/25/13
Do you think that computers and cartoons have caused the loss of the
old significant anthropomorphic characters? I can sort of imagine that
Phoenix was once a flamingo or a Unicorn begun as a rhino or
Nahwal..but the mermaid that was said to have been a manatee..was also
a 'Selki' in old European myth, shows how neatly any sea mammal will
fit the story line that could have distinct characteristics and
meaning in a particular place of origin.

All those many hundreds of years of story telling to story listeners
had no pictures and "we went to sea and we encountered" what ever
beast it was, may have been "I am bringing back to you now a tale of
horrid animals with terrible histories from a place that rid itself
of.." etc.

I love animals stories but has the need for cute furry and
terrifyingly pretty obscured some really decent iconography and
political references to cultural history geographical trade &
religion?

Perhaps I'm thinking that one day our great grandchildren will say
something like.. "And Pikachu came from a country far far away and
blushed when someone upset his friends! "

I thought about that when I was re-reading Aesops fables.

THE COLONEL

Apr 12, 2013, 1:58:50 PM4/12/13
"luanne" <222luf...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Make the right choice to spend your wasted off time by engaging in
worthwhile events, and drop the horseshit like that above.

Coyo the Coyote

Nov 4, 2013, 12:25:32 PM11/4/13

On 25 Mar 2013 06:13 PM ,luanne <222luf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you think that computers and cartoons have caused the loss of the
> old significant anthropomorphic characters?
>
> I thought about that when I was re-reading Aesops fables.

Yeah, in Wicca, this is called Fluffy Bunny Witches.

All of these vegan wolves and asthmatic dragons and all that.

Where's the blood and guts?

If you're a big bad wolf, you should be fierce and play the villian with honor, style and flair.

If you are a dragon, you should hoard gold and silver and gemstones, eat princesses without even the tiniest of shame or remorse, and steal sheep from starving villagers. Princesses are for eating. We all do what we must.

I am a coyote. I am not a nice person, at least half the time. Coyotes are tricksters, and are only nice half the time. We seemingly manipulate time, make the impossible probable and give everyone hell and anvilicious aesops just to annoy them.

If you encounter a coyote in a brothers grimm sort of fairy tail, run away! You are better off in the company of a dragon. At least with a dragon, you'll get roasted alive with your dignity intact!

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

coyo

Apr 26, 2014, 4:13:29 PM4/26/14
There is a reason I love reading and writing in the fandom, and enjoy serious multi-paragraph roleplaying. Most furs just fap to the porn and pay money ONLY to have their characters depicted doing that.

It's kind of sad, really.

To be fair, though, when Science Fiction was new, it was almost 100% green-skinned space babes and two-fisted tales. Think "Flesh Gordan" cranked up to 11, and you have an inkling of what the new Science Fiction fandom was like.

After awhile, the Science Fiction fandom matured, and began taking itself seriously and working on their image. Now it's pretty much mainstream, and shelves upon shelves of it can be found in any book or movie store.
I wonder why there aren't more modern or new Aesop's Fables. Aesop had nothing to do with writing the tales, after all.

Coyo Stormcaller

Mar 7, 2016, 12:04:44 AM3/7/16
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
luanne <222luf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I love animals stories but has the need for cute furry and
> terrifyingly pretty obscured some really decent iconography and
> political references to cultural history geographical trade &
> religion?

I'm guessing you haven't seen all the snuff fiction, which can be
incredibly bloody and graphic.

A good example is the very elaborate, detailed and obscenely graphic my
little pony friendship is magic hatefiction. Some of that is actually
done by genuine MLP (brony) fans who want to explore the darker aspects
of the fantasy world.

There's also the less extreme "dark fantasy" that focuses on
werewolves. Trust me, cute and fuzzy, they are NOT. Call them cute and
you are guaranteed to die in a very violent and graphic way.

Dark fantasy werewolves are constantly resisting powerful urges to
ravage and slaughter entire villages, and only through ironfisted
self-control do they manage not to get themselves all exterminated.

But "dark fantasy" is just scratching the surface of the decidedly
uncute fantasy works out there. You just haven't been looking hard
enough.

Coyo Stormcaller

Mar 7, 2016, 12:12:57 AM3/7/16
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
luanne <222luf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought about that when I was re-reading Aesops fables.

"grimmification" can be fun if done well, but it isn't always done
well, and can come across at gratuitous. There are anthropologists who
claim that most of the brothers grimm tales are NOT the originals, and
that they made more innocuous children's stories darker and edgier as a
calculated marketing gimmick.

Just cause people are a lot more open about liking cute and fuzzy stuff
these days doesn't mean anything has really changed. The changing
society has allowed grown men to get away with openly liking cutesy
stuff.

One of my best friends, a gun-fur, openly likes both guns and my little
pony friendship is magic. He has his NRA membership badge and a
figurine of rainbow dash right next to each other on his keychain.

I guess that's his way of rejecting both groups' assertions that they
are mutually exclusive.

It's perfectly okay to appreciate cuteness, but also to do what it
takes to protect that cuteness, I guess is what he's trying to say. It
doesn't sound like anything new to me, but may be new to certain groups
who may not have a lot of background in history.

Guys, bone up on your history. It's important shit to know. If you want
to be capable of contributing to the society around you in any
meaningful way, you MUST know your history, the history of your family,
your people, your country, and the world around you. Gain and
appreciation of knowing how the world around you came to be what it is
today.

I can't stress that enough.