Why are Americans... ?

Farry

Dec 18, 2010, 4:44:43 PM12/18/10
You know the game that you can play with Google's phrase completion to see
what other people have asked?

So you can put in: Why are Americans

and of course there's "fat", "ignorant", "religious", and wait... WHAT?

Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry

Dec 19, 2010, 8:24:13 PM12/19/10
> So you can put in: Why are Americans
>
> and of course there's "fat", "ignorant", "religious", and wait... WHAT?

Yes - it's a reference to an Ursula Le Guin essay complaining about
the lack of a market for fantasy in the USA (see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/may/21/ursula-k-le-guin-realism
for details).

Most people asked the question have no knowledge of that, though.
--
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry

Lucien Drurowin

Dec 19, 2010, 8:58:16 PM12/19/10
On 12/19/10 7:24 PM, Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry wrote:
> Yes - it's a reference to an Ursula Le Guin essay complaining about
> the lack of a market for fantasy in the USA (see
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/may/21/ursula-k-le-guin-realism
> for details).
That makes sense... like most everything in retrospect.

> Most people asked the question have no knowledge of that, though.

... including me (but I guess I didn't ask it so I don't count). So if
most people who asked that don't know the reference, what then is the
reason?

Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry

Dec 27, 2010, 1:35:19 AM12/27/10
The essay isn't online, but there's a reasonable explanation here:
http://scilib.typepad.com/science_library_pad/2007/07/are-americans-s.html

Skytech

Dec 31, 2010, 8:24:39 PM12/31/10
> So you can put in: Why are Americans
>
> and of course there's "fat", "ignorant", "religious", and wait... WHAT?

Sheez, got ugly that quick! I guess the rest of the world can have fun
playng this game.

Farry

Jan 4, 2011, 6:21:50 AM1/4/11
Skytech <skyte...@hotmail.com> wrote:

The stereotypes aren't the surprise. (e.g. "Why are Brits" ugly, rude)

Try it: Why are Americans

§nühw¤£f

Jan 4, 2011, 10:45:12 AM1/4/11
In message <4e06i6p450ah4bva7...@4ax.com>, Farry pondered the
following:

Stupid enough to keep electing people who tell them one thing and do another?

--
www.republicorp.us |http://pay2play.tv/
http://stopbeck.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com

Wanderer

Mar 12, 2011, 12:43:50 AM3/12/11

"Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry" <green...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> The essay isn't online, but there's a reasonable explanation here:
> http://scilib.typepad.com/science_library_pad/2007/07/are-americans-s.html

This must be new, then:

http://tinyurl.com/4keu3lg

Just tracked it down; it's a teacher's edition of the essay, with a couple
of questions at the end. Interesting reading.