If You're Not Here, Speak Up

Xydexx the Playful Squeakypony, K.S.C.

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
wondering where they've all gone.

Anyone know what Michael McGee (Professional Canadian) is up to these
days?

--
Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C. [ICQ: 7569393]
Tired of the flamewars?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

TriGem Olandarinse

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Xydexx, the, Playful, Squeakypony, "K.S.C." wrote:

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

> --

> Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C. [ICQ: 7569393]

I gave up on 'Public' furry activites, such as posting, and the like. I am doin
my own little projects, mucking, and playing alot of Grand Theft Auto 2, and
mentally projecting all those little people walking around all those in Furry
that I dislike :) *snicker*

It serves no suprise to my sore eyes to see that Random is posting like a
moronic twit again, considernig he got booted off FurryMuck "FINALLY" so he
obviously has much more free time to be online. Then again, from the sources I
have found, and have consulted with, the lovable annoyance named 'Random' here
is not the same one as was on the muck.

*shrug*

I should dig up the IP trace I did, showing that he actually does post from
Atlanta, and not from California, like the FM Random. Personality problems?

Yes.. I am harping on Random, because I need to vent on someone, and since that
twit vents on everyone else, why shouldn't I get a chance? :)

Take care, live hard, and do whatever, and visit http://www.unamerican.com and
you will love it!

88888888\/--\/ moc.liamtoh@megirt \/--\/ Reverse to Get email.88888888

Alan \\TriGem\\ Kennedy ICQ #8781052 Thé ŁůPhrŞnítÉ rÜŁé˛

http://www.furnation.com/trigem

http://www.vulpine.pp.se/cgi-bin/furcode Decode My Code.

FCWcs2amr A+ C+ D+ H+ M++ P+ R+++ T+ W Z Sm++ RLAT a23 cdn++++ d++ e+ f+ h iwf++
j++ p sm+

--[quote]

Backing up your HD is the stuff of legends, because if you do not, everything
that you have collected WILL become a legend. - me

--[/quote]

Captain Packrat

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
<Xydexx the Playful Squeakypony>; "K.S.C." <xyd...@my-deja.com> wrote in
message news:8262gv$c1u$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

I still read AFF occasionally. Don't post much. I think the autoposter
posts for me more often than I actually post stuff myself....

| Captain Packrat |
| (Captain on FurryMUCK and FurToonia) |
| |
| Fur Central ---> http://captainpackrat.dynip.com/ |
| |
| Furry Code 1.3 (available from Fur Central) |
| FRM/R4 A+++ C++ D++ H+++ M+++ P++++ R+ T++++ W Z+++ Sm+ |
| RLCT a cn++ d++ e+ f++++ h+ iwf+++ |
| |
| If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse! |
| |
| O. .O |
| ==V== |

Hangdog

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
There is no here, here.

Baloo Ursidae

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
Xydexx the Playful Squeakypony, K.S.C. <xyd...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

Still around! Hi!

--
Baloo

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
TriGem Olandarinse wrote:
> I gave up on 'Public' furry activites, such as posting, and the like.

Eh. I'm not giving up on public furry activities. I've just been
re-evaluating where my priorities in the fandom are.

My number one priority these days is to have fun.

I'm still wondering what happened to Mike McGee, though.

--
Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C. [ICQ: 7569393]

I support Furry Peace: http://www.fur.com/peace/
A peaceful and true solution to fandom's problems.

Donald E. Sanders

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
> Xydexx the Playful Squeakypony, K.S.C. <xyd...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> > wondering where they've all gone.

Oh, I'm still around. Sorta gone a bit underground due to the winter
weather, plus I'm in considered `Read Only Mode`.

--
Don Sanders

Dsan Tsan on #furry of Yiffnet
RoadKill Fur (Sun baked sorta but not burned!)
Amateur Artist at Roll Yer Own Graphics
http://www.dreamscape.com/dsand101/dsan.htm
(my furry page) Email dsan...@future.dreamscape.com

Ty Davis

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
Xydexx, the, Playful, Squeakypony, "K.S.C." wrote:

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

Speaking of, ... Is it possible to track just how many people are
reading this NG ?

-Charles Calthrop

Jim Doolittle

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
In article <8262gv$c1u$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Xydexx the Playful
Squeakypony, K.S.C. <xyd...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.
>

> Anyone know what Michael McGee (Professional Canadian) is up to these
> days?

Yes. Well, not really. But he will have a story in Morphic Tales, and I
do have a recent email address for him, somewhere...

As for myself, I'm doing more important things. I just got back from a
week-long training seminar, and when I'm not doing work-related things,
I'm probably messing around with my amateur publishing thing or drinking
beer with friends. ;)

Oh, and there's this small matter of a convention...

-Jim

--
Jim Doolittle CornWuff Press
dool...@tbcnet.com http://www.cornwuff.com

Peter da Silva

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
In article <8295e5$s02$1...@raccoon.fur.com>,

Ty Davis <trd...@mail.smsu.edu> wrote:
>Speaking of, ... Is it possible to track just how many people are
>reading this NG ?

No, just how many are posting to it.

--
This is The Reverend Peter da Silva's Boring Sig File - there are no references
to Wolves, Kibo, Discordianism, or The Church of the Subgenius in this document

Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications, Entropy Gradient Reversals.

Kyle L. Webb

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

Xydexx, the, Playful, Squeakypony, "K.S.C." wrote:

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

I still scan through the group occasionally, but I've got a new job
that's taking up most of my time for now. Things will likely start to
ease up around mid January.

Kyle L. Webb
Hartree Fox on yiffnet

Florian

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Xydexx, the, Playful, Squeakypony, "K.S.C." wrote:

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

I have always been here.

This place is still a source of news (and now ebay stuff). Though many
other threads seem to be rehashing of the same topics.

Say hi to the bin of reindeer for me :)

Santa Xydexx

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Florian wrote:
> This place is still a source of news (and now ebay stuff). Though
> many other threads seem to be rehashing of the same topics.

Yepyep, I notice the old spooge-vs.-non-spooge argument is back again,
like a holiday fruitcake that gets exchanged every year but never eaten.
I mostly get my news from the various mailing lists and cornwuff.com
these days.

> Say hi to the bin of reindeer for me :)

They wish you a Merry Kissmoose and a Happy New Deer.[1] -:)

--
Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C. [ICQ: 7569393]

Xydexx's Y2K Compliant Anthrofurry Homepage:
http://www.xydexx.com/anthrofurry

Message has been deleted

Akai

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Michael McGee wrote:

<snip>

Nice to see that you're still among the living. Please let everyone know when
your new website is up.
--
-Akai

This space for rent.

DishRoom1

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Respond to the Michael McGee Post, which is too long to repeat (see first post)

Oh this is swell. Another ex-furr leaving and preaching on the pedistal about
the furridom "going down in the sewer".

You know, Mr McGee, It's fine that you may not like it in our little clubhouse
and that you leave; you're always free to that. But I dissagree with what you
and other exfurrs claiming that we're headed for a "artistic cespool" and that
the anthropomoric-animal genre is supposingly a crutch.

First of all, there is no denial that there are graphic themes of sex and
nudity, but If you have read as many of the comic books as you claim to read
you find not all of it is awash with mature stuff there are some PG -rated
stuff out there that have nothing to do with sex, as some stories in Furrlough.
Also, there has come to light a few G-rated comics like Ernor, or the Curtises'
experiment "The Magic Carpet". "Pawprints Magazine" I think carries some great
stories that have no sex in them. And why are people like you get crappy over
furry sexaul matters, like it would kill you? Dosen't it occur to you that
other genres, like magna/amine feature nudity and sex as well, not to mention
gory violence? Also the same with the mainstream live-action movies?

True, some furry stories and art (adult and non-adult alike) tend to be
lemons, but IMHO I emphasize SOME of them! Some of what I seen and read is
wonderful, full of humor, drama, tragedy, hope, love, joy, family, freindship,
anger, reconciliation and such. An furry character is more than a fictional
being that is half human, half animal. As Chuck Meville pointed out to me, and
others reminded me, they are like human beings, but with the animal features
apon them.

The artwork I see.... Some of it, like Terrie Smith's watercolor-and-color
pencils, and Vicky Wyman's Xanadu comic art, can be beautiful and it touches my
heart. Often Xanadu gave me a feeling of what it's like to be human. Others,
like Shawntea Howard's Extinctioners pics are kick as.

Many talented people work to make these characters to be real to us as a
classic Disney character might. Yet folks such as you wish to shove them into
shit on accusations of an artistic cespool or that "furry=porn". And that
upsets me.

You talk about some storyless "Transformation stories". What are you talking
about? as what I read on the Internet and in print, transformation stories amke
up only a fraction of the furry stories, by my estimate. And you know what, I
do already have found plenty of stories that have intelligent plotting and
dialouge, better than what I see on television, most mainstream movies this
year, and the dreck superhero comics have become over the past decade.

We are not crawling around in the dirt like you accuse, Mr. McGee. Some of us
reach the stars our own way. But if you feel superior to us and be a snob, go
on ahead.

Jetstone Tigre (Once a proud furry fan, always a proud furry fan)

Dish...@aol.com

Xydexx the Silly Squeaky Pony

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Michael McGee wrote:
> Mike McGee, here.

Woohoo! It's Mighty Mike McGee! Welcome back. -:)

> I've been incredibly quiet this past year because I got fed
> up with furry fandom in general. I got fed up with everything inside of it,
> all at once - I didn't like 95% of the art, the stories, the multiplayer
> games, the comics, and the other interests that define what the fandom is.

It's easy to get frustrated with the fandom--especially so when reading
AFF. I think most folks avoid this newsgroup like the plague. Based on
what I've seen in here over the past five years, it's understandable
why. Hopefully moderation will change that.

> Above it all, I hate watching potential rust and become brittle. I hate
> watching us - all of us, the whole human race, not just fur fandom - I hate
> watching all of us crawl in the dirt when we can and should be reaching for
> the stars.

Yepyep. I can relate to that. I think a big problem with this place is
that it doesn't really foster a sense of creativity. I know I feel a
lot better when I'm not reading it, which is why I'm only marginally
participating here these days. (And I've found that by not wasting
hours of time posting here, I can get a lot of other things done, like
working on my website and such.)

Anyway, I'd like to see something better. I'd like to see this
newsgroup spewing forth a dozen new stories a week instead of dozens of
messages about someone drawing a picture that someone else didn't like.
I'd like to see a Furry Renaissance.

> Myself has not answered, so I consulted my cat, whom merely said "Maow."
> Which is his way of saying "Perhaps it is because you still like furries,
> you want to do new and interesting things with the concept of two-legged
> animals and more importantly, you want everyone else to too. It is your
> hope to become so good at what you do that you inspire others to become good
> at what they do as well, whether it be comics or artwork or writing - and
> mayhaps you feel that you've grown enough to start to make a difference.

It would be really cool if that could happen. Some days it just doesn't
seem worth the effort, though. I've seen far too many good ideas get
ignored or shot down here.

> Wonder if
> there's still constant sniping between various 'factions' (I find it
> frighteningly hilarious. Furry fandom is small enough already and people
> see the need to subdivide it further because of differences in opinion

Careful, now. If you start saying we should treat each other with some
respect or tolerance, people might accuse you of saying "let's all yiff
along" or something. Before you know it, furry fans might actually
start working together instead of fighting, and AFF might become a
useful resource to exchange ideas and information.

And we wouldn't want _that_ to happen. -:)

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen / Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C.
http://www.xydexx.com [ICQ: 7569393]
"Even sheep are dangerous in numbers." --Farlo

Talbon

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

"Michael McGee" <m.m...@home.com> wrote in message

> <Xydexx the Playful Squeakypony>; "K.S.C." <xyd...@my-deja.com> wrote in
> message news:8262gv$c1u$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> > wondering where they've all gone.

<snipped, for brevity but I liked the post>

Hi Mike, *grin* Wasn't around a year ago, but welcome back you sound like an
interesting guy. Well I really have nothing to say, and am about to leave
for brunch. Hmmm pointless post.

Talbon - One ditzy wolf

Message has been deleted

Allen Kitchen

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Michael McGee wrote:

> It's a small secret that only a few people know but I guess a lot more
> will know now - I've been incredibly quiet this past year because I got fed

> up with furry fandom in general. I got fed up with everything inside of it,
> all at once - I didn't like 95% of the art, the stories, the multiplayer
> games, the comics, and the other interests that define what the fandom is.

Well, I still chuckle when I recall our parody of "Rainbow Six"
that we collectively did here. You -do- recall that, don't you?

As for writing strictly furry, you are right. That's not healthy
to do. Writers should write what they like and what the muses tell them to.
I've always thought your stories had a very strong Adventure quality to them.
It's a good thing, and it doesn't have to be furry or scifi to sell. Congrats
on your sales, btw. Gutsy move to make, selling your work.

Speaking of selling: Yes, I'm still puttering around. And no, I'm
not yet ready to leave the fandom nest. One day I may try to make a buck
with it, but not just yet. I feel I still have some professional growth to do.

Glad to see you back Mighty Mike!

Allen Kitchen (Shockwave)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Michael McGee wrote:
> *Mike McGee wonders if he'll ever live down any of his silly
> nicknames... though at least he's not called Mighty Mike McGee, Professional
> Canadian all in one breath*

Not yet... -:)

> > Anyway, I'd like to see something better. I'd like to see this
> > newsgroup spewing forth a dozen new stories a week instead of dozens of
> > messages about someone drawing a picture that someone else didn't like.
> > I'd like to see a Furry Renaissance.
>

> As would I. I'd like to see more comics on the caliber of furry work
> like "Maus," as well as non-furry work like Transmetropolitan, Astro City
> and Preacher. I'd like to see more furries in the movies beyond typical
> annoying sidekicks or goggle-eyed anime girls. Maybe a cosmopolitan
> werewolf?

"English Werewolf In Manhattan", perhaps?

> Carries a case and wears an Armani suit, and instead of growling
> and howling he goes to stress management courses... werewolf as metaphor for
> the average American drone worker, three steps from eating his competitors?

The best way to get a good idea, is to have a lot of ideas. I'm a big
fan of sharing ideas and information, of collaborative efforts, of
people talking to people instead of fighting with them. Y'know what'd
be cool? A writer's workshop. Everyone welcome. Just get folks
posting stories and being creative and enjoying themselves.

> The problem with good ideas is twofold: first, if they have been seen
> before there is the question of "why didn't it work or take hold before?"

I think part of the problem is some folks have a habit of ignoring the
message and shooting the messenger. It's this "Us vs. Them" mentality.
It's all "Us vs. Us". That's the main reason why anything based on Us
vs. Them that we've seen has not, can not, and will not work. Somewhere
along the line, someone got the idea that "making people angry" equals
"solving problems". But someone who's tearing other people down all the
time isn't really creating or producing anything. Creating something
would require them to put forth some actual effort. Which is easier?

Reminds me of a discussion I read on a BBS in a galaxy far, far away...
some group was complaining about some TV show they didn't like, and was
trying to get it off the air. Someone pointed out that if these folks
put as much effort into producing a show they liked as they did in
complaining about ones they didn't like, everyone would be a lot better
off.

I dunno. The thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion that
maybe some people just like to complain.

> And secondly, if it IS new, there's the undeniable problem of new ideas
> failing in new ways. An example could be the movie Blair Witch Project - a
> horror movie shot "inside" the horror movie. Entralled some, turned off
> others.

(I liked it. BTW, they're tearing down the house from the movie, from
what I've heard. It's near Baltimore.)

> At the end of it all, people are often slow to change their
> situation because there's always the possibility that they're switching to
> something worse, or at least unfamiliar - even if their current situation
> sucks holy ass it's still a situation they know well...

I'm all too familiar with that scenario, but can safely say from
experience that trying new things has always worked well for myself and
others I know. Or, as the saying goes, "Stupidity is doing the same
thing over and over and expecting different results."

"It'll never work" is not a valid excuse for not trying something
different. -:)

> Heavens, no, Xydexx. ;o) But all kidding aside, it's a worthy
> aspiration. If we could combine the rogue zaniness of alt.fan.furry on its
> better months (which is rather akin to watching mid-1980's college movies
> whilst heavily medicated) with an injection of... not so much smarts, I
> believe everyone here's an intelligent indivdual, but maybe social graces,
> or even just the ability to say "I'm okay, you're okay."

Yepyep.

> -Mike McGee
> He's okay - you need help

You can cure my insanity but leave my weirdness alone, I like it the way
it is. -:)

--
Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C. [ICQ: 7569393]

Peter da Silva

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
In article <82sm5g$pi$1...@raccoon.fur.com>,

Michael McGee <m.m...@home.com> wrote:
>and Preacher. I'd like to see more furries in the movies beyond typical
>annoying sidekicks or goggle-eyed anime girls. Maybe a cosmopolitan
>werewolf? Carries a case and wears an Armani suit, and instead of growling

>and howling he goes to stress management courses... werewolf as metaphor for
>the average American drone worker, three steps from eating his competitors?

Kevin and Kell.

Talbon

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Ohh good! So does your cat actually talk? Maybe mine and yours can get
together, gossipy little punks aren't they?

*grin* Congrats on getting published, I'm hoping to go down that route in
the near future as well. Hey and just so you feel better, I don't agree with
some of what you said. (You'll have to guess what ;) ) But you can still say
it. hehehe. So what is this Rainbow Six parody, and where could a fur get a
hold of it?

Talbon - One decaffeinated wolf, where's my coffee? *growl, snap, snarl*

> > <snipped, for brevity but I liked the post>
> >
> > Hi Mike, *grin* Wasn't around a year ago, but welcome back you sound
like
> an
> > interesting guy. Well I really have nothing to say, and am about to
leave
> > for brunch. Hmmm pointless post.
> >
> > Talbon - One ditzy wolf
>

> Hehe, I know from useless posts - a useless post is something along
the
> lines of "I just clipped my toenails and I hate the way they fly off the
> clippers and embed themselves in my mother-in-law." Saying "welcome back,
> nice to see ya, hope to get to know you, does you cat actually talk?"
isn't
> useless - warms my heart, to be honest. :)

Message has been deleted

M. Mitchell Marmel

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Michael McGee wrote:

> > Kevin and Kell.
> >
> Ah, but then we run into a little snag - how "special" will the main
> character werewolf be if everyone else is a werewolf too? The visual gag of
> suddenly leaping up from your desk and howling like a banshee somehow loses
> its special touch when everyone's doing it...

Um...Buster Wilde? True, he's a weerwolf...

M. Mitchell Marmel \ Scattered, smothered, covered, chunked,
Drexel University \ whipped, beaten, chained and pierced.
Department of Materials Engineering \ *THE BEST HASHBROWNS IN THE WORLD!*
Fibrous Materials Research Center \ marm...@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
TaliVisions Homepage: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/grad/marmelmm/Talivisions/index.html

Allen Kitchen

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99

Michael McGee wrote:
or the
> other time I built a secret robotic exoframe in my basement for the
> betterment of mankind only to have it stolen, so I created a better model to
> engage in thunderous battle...

I actually have a robot in my garage. Wanna see it?
http://www.blkbox.com/~osprey/dcp00442a.jpg

Allen Kitchen (shockwave)

Rassilon63

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
<< Xydexx, the, Playful, Squeakypony, "K.S.C." wrote:

> Just thinking of all the folks who used to read/post to AFF, and
> wondering where they've all gone.

I'm still here...somewhat.

>Shishi-Osa<
"It never hurts to help. *CRUNCH!!!* "
http://www.FurNation.com/Shishi-osa

freddy1X

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
Michael McGee wrote:

> Ah, but then we run into a little snag - how "special" will the main
> character werewolf be if everyone else is a werewolf too? The visual gag of
> suddenly leaping up from your desk and howling like a banshee somehow loses
> its special touch when everyone's doing it...

Any old yoekel can change into a wolf during the full moon. I only
change during new moons just to be different.

--
this device complies with FCC rules Part 15
/\>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>\/

Message has been deleted

Jeff Novotny

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
Michael McGee wrote:

> and, one about how leaving the fandom might help someone enjoy furries more.
> Hmmmm. Didn't see *that* topic a year ago... have I started a trend?

Ummm. That would be me. :)

And you're right, I think. I liked your advice. I'll probably take it. I
explained a little more in a separate thread. Hey, if this works, I owe
you a beer the next time I'm in Calgary.

Best;
Jeff (yer fellow Canadian)

Mel. White

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Welcome back!!! I'm back, too, after a long and busy hiatus.

Please tell us a bit more about your novel that you're working on. I'm
also working on a werewolf novel that doesn't QUITE fit the furry
pattern. It grew out of my dissatisfaction with some of the stories
I've seen -- though I'll admit to finding material that I still enjoy
(the latest set of anthologies from Shanda Fantasy, for instance.)

Currently, my project isn't going that well. Right now, the
storyline's in chaos (I'm the sort who plots extensively before
writing). I'm trying to avoid some of the cliches of both genres, but
meshing the two is turning out to be harder than I thought.

I'm also doing two more Coyote stories -- taking Coyote to a different
universe. With luck, they'll be done this month.

================= Mel. White's Token Sigfile=====================
http://go.to/samsiam - new (free!) RPG module on the Sam Siam site!!

(not my website, but one that's been VERY useful for car advice:)
http://www.askrooster.com/board/index.cgi

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mel. White

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
Actually, Mike, I'm doing a werewolf romance novel.

Now... that ain't as odd as it seems because there are other
(paperback) romance novels out there featuring werewolves. I've been
reading through some of the transformation and werewolf archives,
trying to make the concept something more than "hunky guy in fur"
shtick. I keep wavering between making it a straight fantasy and a
romance.

I've potential publishers for it either way (as in, e-book publisher
who also makes available hardcopy editions and pays royalties.)
World-building this one's interesting since I'm basing the culture of
EverDark on that of ancient Sumeria. Haven't done this intense a job
of world building in a long time!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Hangdog

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
Michael McGee wrote:

> "Mel. White" <m...@netcom.com> wrote in message

> > Actually, Mike, I'm doing a werewolf romance novel.
>

> :) Sounds like the type of stuff I usually wind up writing... ;o)
> >
> Well, I'm a fairly big fan of inner conflict and conflict with others,
> stuff that's not necessarily important but the characters treat it as such.
> So there's lots of stuff you could do with a werewolf in love with a human
> (or another werewolf.) Instead of hunky guy with fur, you could have sleek
> lady with fur... maybe the werewolf's been taught by exterior forces, such
> as society, that love between humans and werewolves is wrong, so he or she
> wants to turn their SO into one, which the SO isn't too keen on... maybe
> werewolves are a type of upper class (or lower class) and then it becomes
> love across social boundaries... maybe the werewolf's just too ashamed of
> what they are to reveal it, so they're constantly running away every full
> moon (or whatever) which leads the SO into thinking that the were's having
> an affair... perhaps the werewolves are in the mold of the World of Darkness
> games, fighting a secret war... perhaps it's a love triangle, one person
> loves the were, another loves the human...

Interesting. Artist Kim Arndt is developing something along these lines. You
can find out more about it at:

http://www.tripshotpress.com/kuraic.htm

--Hangdog

Allen Kitchen

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
to Mel. White

"Mel. White" wrote:

> Actually, Mike, I'm doing a werewolf romance novel.
>

> Now... that ain't as odd as it seems because there are other
> (paperback) romance novels out there featuring werewolves. I've been
> reading through some of the transformation and werewolf archives,
> trying to make the concept something more than "hunky guy in fur"
> shtick. I keep wavering between making it a straight fantasy and a
> romance.

For an interesting view on that, read "Wild" by Stribley (sp?) He's the
same writer who did "Communion" and "The Wolfen." It's dated 1990, so you
may find it in the horror section of your local HalfPrice Books store (since
I've been unable to turn up a copy at Waldenbooks.)

Turning into a werewolf is not without problems. Especially when you
live in the city.

allen Kitchen (shockwave)

freddy1X

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
Michael McGee wrote:

> "freddy1X" <fred...@indyx.net> wrote in message

> > Michael McGee wrote:
> > >

> > > Ah, but then we run into a little snag - how "special" will the main
> > > character werewolf be if everyone else is a werewolf too? The visual
> gag of
> > > suddenly leaping up from your desk and howling like a banshee somehow
> loses
> > > its special touch when everyone's doing it...
> >
> > Any old yoekel can change into a wolf during the full moon. I only
> > change during new moons just to be different.
>
> At what point did I say he'd change only during a full moon? ;o)

That did sound flame-like, didn't it. ( Hee Hee! ) What I wanted to
suggest was the society of weres probably consisted mostly of "9 to 5"
'ers in a moon-phase sense. And always trying to be the non-mundane of
the non-mundane, I pick an off time to do it. Beat the rush. And
though I don't turn wolf, I have nothing aganst those who do.

freddy1X

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
Michael McGee wrote:

( OB-cuts )

> Well, I'm a fairly big fan of inner conflict and conflict with others,
> stuff that's not necessarily important but the characters treat it as such.
> So there's lots of stuff you could do with a werewolf in love with a human
> (or another werewolf.) Instead of hunky guy with fur, you could have sleek
> lady with fur... maybe the werewolf's been taught by exterior forces, such
> as society, that love between humans and werewolves is wrong, so he or she
> wants to turn their SO into one, which the SO isn't too keen on...

The SO bites the wolf, who changes into a "normal" on full moon. You
are writing about a wolf society, aren't you?

( OB-cuts )

Message has been deleted

Xydexx the Silly Squeaky Pony

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
Mighty Michael McGee, Professional Canadian wrote:
> Well, I find that I'm fairly good at lobbing what I call "idea shrapnel"
> at people - namely, peppering them with short bursts of creativity. Most of
> it misses, but some of it hits...

My main problem is I have too many ideas and not enough time/motivation
to do anything with them. I mean, I think stuff up and write it down
ALL THE TIME. Constantly. It's like a disease. Or a curse. Or
something. I try to work on too many things at once.

> Depends on your mindset, I suppose. Some people are simply better at
> tearing stuff down than building things up. In building things up, you have
> to make sure it lasts, that it's balanced, that it'll hold under fire...
> tearing it down? Long as it winds up in tiny bits, who cares how it wound
> up that way? Makes me surprised that we get as much done as we do...

I think the main difference is people who create stuff end up with
something to show for it, something that they and others can enjoy.
People who destroy stuff don't end up with anything.

> I have a fairly easy solution for the eighty trillion television shows
> that annoy me on a daily basis - I don't watch TV. :)

Yep. Makes sense.

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen / Xydexx Squeakypony, K.S.C.
http://www.xydexx.com [ICQ: 7569393]
"Even sheep are dangerous in numbers." --Farlo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mel. White

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
One idea I've had that I've never followed up on was the idea of a real
macho guy who becomes a werepoodle (the little fluffy kind).

Someday...

William Earl Haskell

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
Mel. White wrote:

> One idea I've had that I've never followed up on was the idea of a real
> macho guy who becomes a werepoodle (the little fluffy kind).
>
> Someday...

Several years ago there was a film called "The Curse of the Queerwolf,"
which sounded #twisted# - as the poor macho guy changes, a handkerchief
creeps out of one of his back pants pockets and so on. I never got to
see it at the time (nutz!), and it'd be hard find on video I imagine. A
satiric look at homophobiacs, perhaps?

Jeremy DuCharme

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
Michael McGee wrote:

> > I actually have a robot in my garage. Wanna see it?
> > http://www.blkbox.com/~osprey/dcp00442a.jpg
> >
> > Allen Kitchen (shockwave)
>
> That can't be a robot! Television tells me that robots has red and blue
> paint trim and eyes but no mouths (but their gorilla sucessors get lips) and
> they talk like John Wayne and they transform into trucks! Television would
> NEVER lie to me...
> (Aside: I'm often caught thinking about how Bumblebee from the
> Transformers cartoon would react to the new VW Beetle. I think this is a
> sing of some kind of arrested development...)

Particularly if you happen to know that the 'new' VW Beetle is just
a VW Golf with a new exterior.

--
Sinclair: I'm waiting for an explanation ambassador.
Londo: And I am prepared to offer one, once the room stops spinning.

Ucalegon

Dec 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/19/99
In article <3859C4...@hal-pc.org>, William Earl Haskell <for...@hal-pc.org>
writes:

>Several years ago there was a film called "The Curse of the Queerwolf,"

And online, let's not forget Buster Wilde the weerwolf, at
http://www.geocities.com/~buster_wilde/ .

Acag, Treesong
Acag, Treesong (ucal...@aol.com)