Just saw this on Twitter: Shanda Fantasy Arts closing

Bill Marcum

Oct 21, 2010, 10:04:25 AM10/21/10
Shanda Fantasy Arts to close; final issues next year
http://www.flayrah.com/3160

--
"Never underestimate the power of a small tactical nuclear weapon."

Farry

Oct 24, 2010, 5:16:31 AM10/24/10
Bill Marcum <bi...@lat.localnet> wrote:

>Shanda Fantasy Arts to close; final issues next year
>http://www.flayrah.com/3160

Oh well, nothing lasts forever. It was good while it lasted.

My own purchases of printed comics reached a high point in the late 90s,
when I was buying 15-20 per month, but that number has slowly decreased
since then. They were great fun to collect, but my collection became so
large and intractable that I forced myself to throw some away regularly.
It was only at the start of this year that I finally threw away the last
of my paper comics, and quit buying any more.

I still occasionally buy a pdf version of a comic, where it's made
available for a dollar online -- mostly out of nostalgia, because I
remember the artist. It seems to me that all the recent good furry comics
are free webcomics, which are deserving of an occasional donation. What I
can see of the occasional image-board rip of the content of furry
pay-websites suggests that those contain just storyline-free porn comics.

Webcomics are a heck of a lot easier to manage, both for keeping track,
and for personal time-management. I use the free "Greased Webcomic
Manager", a Greasemonkey/Firefox browser plugin, to organise my list of
favourites and keep track of my current reading locations. I organise the
comics into sections to read weekly, monthly, or quarterly -- depending on
the quality and the update-rate.

The furry webcomic list at The Belfry webcomics Index is vast, and while
the quality is variable, the quantity of good quality stuff easily
outpaces the days of printed furry comics. I'm now reading more webcomics
than I ever read paper comics.

Skytech

Nov 6, 2010, 6:29:41 PM11/6/10
What a loss. I miss the heady days of the 80's and 90's when anthro
comics were everywhere including the local comic stores. I pretty much
gave up on regular comics because 1) I couldn't keep up with dozens of
comic titles interlinking their stories, 2) Got tired of overblown
artwork and minimal stories, 3) Couldn't afford dozens of titles a
month and 4) Couldn't afford comic prices soaring because they were
for investing not reading.

Anthro comics were experimental and done by people not pushed by comic
corporations looking for the biggest cash flow for the lowest
investment. There were a world of titles and even the bad ones,
relatively speaking, were great. As the comics grew so did the fandom.
Then came the 2000's and both the fans and the fan products includung
comics have slowly faded. By this time I relied exclusively on online
furry dealers for ANY titles available. I knew that was dying too when
the only furry titles seems to be mostly gay and anime oriented. Every
now and then a comic pops up but buying one at a time with the S&H the
same price as the comic itself is, well, silly.

I miss my furry comics and pretty must all the furry stuff that used
to be in abundance.

§nühw¤£f

Nov 8, 2010, 3:20:29 PM11/8/10
In message <471841a2-ed1b-4b2e...@z20g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
Skytech pondered the following:

I've got teh furry comix on my website. I just have a hard time getting
motivated to *do* them on a regular basis. I think my "give a shit" supply ran
out.
<snuhwolf.9f.com>
U LIKEY ROUNDEYE!

--