My Official Reply (or Smash has no shame)...

Nexxus

Jun 25, 2002, 7:08:53 AM6/25/02
------------------------------
My official statement:
------------------------------

Up till now I have remained quiet about this crappy fursuit site. But now
that Smash has felt it necessary to bring his "personal" feelings into this
discussion I feel that I need to tell my side of this story.

First, I run FurNation. I also run FurSearch which is presently offline
until I build a new server for it. I own several other domain names which
are not in use. I host one other website called Oshawawado-Kai, which I run
for a friend of mine in Canada. I co-host two Linux boxes that are not
associated with furry fandom and are for businesses in the local area.

I do not own nor operate any other webservice from my house. I do not own
any commercial paysite on the web.

My service provider is CoServ. They are a small electric/telephone/DSL
provider here in Dallas.

When I originally set up my SDSL for FurNation, CoServ added a web director
at their co-hosting location so that I could have raw IP addresses to the
Internet. Since they do not provide "hot" IP addresses they routed my lines
through a Windows NT 4 box (now upgraded to a Windows 2000 system) and
re-pointed my Internet IPs to my local area IP address block. Here is a
breakdown:

FurNation's Internet IP address: 209.223.12.4
Internal Redirected IP: 192.168.0.4

My External to Internal block addresses are as follows:

209.223.12.0 / 209.223.12.15 crosses to 192.168.0.0 / 192.168.0.15

I only have control of sites that run on these IP addresses.

This system worked out fine until I discovered that I was not getting the
bandwidth that was supposed to be provided. Well, looks like CoServ decided
to use the same box I am using as a web director to host additional websites
(which reduced my overall performance on the Internet).

It looks like at least one of these websites is owned by Burmese Python.

Now, if someone telnets to that box they will see my server along with every
other website that is being hosted there. I checked and it does appear
through the web director that both FurNation and Burmese's sites are hosted
on the same machine. This has caused me GREAT trouble in the past, and I
will be talking to CoServ about it to eliminate the problem.

------------------------------
How this all came about:
------------------------------

About 8 months ago Burmese was living here in Dallas. He was just another
fur I met who came to a party I was having at the house. While here he
asked if I could give him some advice on hosting a server, and I gave him a
tour of my setup and how everything worked. For a few weeks afterward we
talked and I answered his questions (where to go to set up DNS entries,
hosting providers, where to get domain names cheap). I knew what site he
wanted to start, but I didn't think he would actually create it and it
didn't have anything to do with me personally so I just forgot about it.

Burmese actually put it online. He used my ISP to co-host the website.

When it was brought to my attention several weeks ago (by Smash) about the
website in question I called Burmese (who has since moved to Las Vegas) and
expressed my concern. He assured me that he was moving the site(s) up to
Las Vegas in the near future. I asked him to do me a favor and get rid of
that "one site" ASAP as it was going to cause confusion in the fandom (and I
personally didn't want it to be anywhere near me). He complied and the
following day I checked to see that it was being hosted somewhere in Las
Vegas. I put the incident behind me and forgot about it.

Now I see it is back and online and back here.

Once again I want to state for the record:

1: I do not own any commercial pay site on the Internet.
2: I have never created any content for use on a commercial site.
3: I do not host any sites except for the ones stated above in this letter.
4: I do not make any money off of any pay sites that Burmese owns and
operates.
5: I do not have anything to do with the commercial interests of Burmese
Python.

------------------------------
The Solution:
------------------------------

Burmese and I had a LONG discussion on the phone Sunday. Apparently he was
having problems getting lines installed and moved it back here to Dallas
until the lines were in. They have been installed now for over a week.

He has hired a programmer in the Las Vegas area and they are planning on
moving his site(s) this week.

I WILL NOT BE ASSOCIATED WITH ANYTHING DEALING WITH REAL LIFE PORN SITES.

I don't mind defending myself against the things that I do. I WILL NOT
attempt to defend myself against false accusations from someone who is
thousands of miles away from me who has never even seen the computers I run.

Last Saturday I had some friends over and we did a little experiment. I
pulled the plug on all the systems in the computer room (all 12 of them) and
let David hook up his laptop to the DSL line. With everything offline the
fursuit site still came up. He did a ping to the site and it showed up at
209.223.12.23. Hmmm, now I wonder how that could be....

NOTE: As of writing this letter on Tuesday I have been informed that
Burmese has set up his site on the new system in Las Vegas and it is no
longer hosted by CoServ.

------------------------------
Now, for the really important stuff:
------------------------------

I want to make it officially known that as of Noon on Monday June 24th, 2002
the ownership of FurNation and all services has been transferred to Scott
(or known in furry fandom as Rackett). Rackett had been the system
administrator for FN over the last few months and was helping me at the
table last year at Anthrocon. Some of you may have met him there.

I wish everyone to understand that Rackett saved FurNation just before I
almost yanked the SDSL cord out of the wall. After talking over the
situation for a few hours I came to the decision to leave the fandom and get
on with my life.

I have cancelled my flight to Anthrocon this year. I will not be attending
any further events dealing with the fandom.

The FurNation Magazine Issue #3, which was to be sold this year at
Anthrocon, will be put on hold until Rackett can come up with the funds
needed to produce it. Hopefully it will only be a short delay in
production.

We will arrange to have the SDSL lines that run FurNation moved from my
house to Rackett's and I will transfer all the necessary computers and
components to his location.

I have made an agreement with Rackett that free web hosting for furry
artists and writers will always be available on FurNation. Rackett will
have complete control of FurNation other than this one request. I believe
he will make a very good administrator.

I will be calling Kurst tomorrow to see if he would like to help Rackett
with the day to day operations of FurNation.

This decision has not been made in haste. I have been running FurNation for
over 5 years now, and it is time to hand over the system to a new
administrator.

I have learned many things from being in furry fandom, and the most
important is that when you build something you love someone will always be
there to try and tear it apart. I would rather give FurNation to another
person than to see Smash make false accusations against me and try to do
FurNation and the rest of the artists and writers who are hosted there any
further harm.

I want everyone to remember that Lycan who created the Yiffco website
decided to leave the fandom over a similar situation. VCL and Yerf have
both changed ownership. Now it is time for FurNation to change hands.

I want to get on with my life, and I am getting heavily involved with work
and the SCA again. I plan on helping out at a renaissance fair here in
Dallas called Scarbough doing construction and stuff. So it may be best
that Rackett takes over FurNation as he will have more time to complete the
new system and manage the services.

For all of you who have called and emailed me with your support over the
last few days I send out my warmest thanks. For all of you who have bought
magazines and contributed equipment and donations over the years I want you
to know how much you have helped keep FurNation online even in the worst of
times.

For all my friends in furry fandom please continue to write and call me.
Just because I am out of the fandom does not mean that you are all still
very good friends of mine. I care about each and every one of you.

Sincerely,

Nexxus, AKA: Jessie James Alvin Robertson
(I bet very few of you knew this is my real name)

Former Webmaster of FurNation

P.S. You can contact Rackett directly at Rac...@FurNation.com. My email
address of Webm...@FurNation.com will be taken offline as soon as I sort
out my personal email.

------------------------------
Now for a few words of my own (the last words):
------------------------------

[1]

Last month before the infamous Sibe went off to jail I was on the furry IRC
channel when Sibe came online. Everyone in the channel saw that he was
coming in from Lycanthrope.net (Smash's server and domain name). When Sibe
started to flood the channel I set the ban on Lycanthrope.net. Smash came
online later and got really upset.

I wonder what the connection is?

[2]

Smash stated this is a previous post:

> Nexxus has wanted to do a fursuit sex site for years. Back when
> he and I were still on speaking terms, he even proposed the idea
> to me, and he propositioned me to ACT IN A VIDEO when he found
> out I had one of the werewolf suits he was yiffy for. Saying it
> belongs to Burmese, in my eyes says NEXXUS all fucking over it
> because he's pinned so many other actions on his "aliases"..

If I remember correctly we were joking about this possibility. And remember
folks, I don't own ANY fursuits or modified plushies (I do own a few
standard plushies that are displayed on my shelf).

You can meet Burmese at any furry convention. He is not me.

If I am into this fursuit thing, you would think I would have a fursuit by
now. I once owned a Halloween gorilla costume once, but that was years ago
and it has long since been thrown away.

[3]

Smash stated this is a previous post:

> The last straw was when he threatened to sue a friend for mine
> over a domain name that sounded similar to his, and then said,
> "Whatever you do, don't give the domain name to smash."
> I didn' even know abtou that dispute till he said that, and
> of course, my friend told me about it,a nd it snowballed from there.

Hmmm. Let me see... Oh yes! You mean the WereNation domain? You mean the
one that was an almost complete copy of the front end of FurNation? You
mean the one that I still have a screenshot of, that was an almost exact
replica except for the name?

After talking with the owner of WereNation I found out that Smash had given
her the idea for the domain name after I had told Smash weeks before that I
was planning on purchasing it and making an offshoot of FurNation for the
were community.

If I remember right I talked to the owner and she was very nice and willing
to sell me the domain name for $500 dollars. It was all fine until Smash
stuck his nose into the matter and told her that "Nexxus is not worthy of
owning the domain name. He is not a 'true' werewolf."

I dropped the matter years ago. I still chat with both the individuals who
run the site. It is a shame that WereNation didn't develop into a bigger
system.

[4]

Smash stated this is a previous post:

> The thing that pisses me off the most is that he's a TOTAL LIAR!
> I sat there and logged into fursuitsex.com's HTTP interface,
> and furnation.com, and they were BOTH running on the exact same
> goddamn server!!! Yet he sat there amidst myself,a nd several other
> seasoned network administrators, and flat out told us we were
> wrong, and he didn;t run the service. It was coming fromt he same
> MACHINE that runs his other sites!!!!!!! If he would have come clean
> and just admitted "Ok, I run fursuitsex.com" and not lied to our
> faces, Myself,a nd the others who whitnessed this would not be
> so damn upset.

All I have to say on this one is that a "seasoned network administrator"
should know better than to look at a web director and believe that it hosts
all the computers it is directing traffic for. If this was the case Verizon
would have one serious web server, as the web director in our department is
supplying services for 70+ thousand website URLs.

Oh, and I have a question about this line you wrote:

> If he would have come clean and just admitted
> "Ok, I run fursuitsex.com" and not lied to our
> faces, Myself,a nd the others who whitnessed
> this would not be so damn upset.

Does this mean that you are not upset about the site, just that you think I
lied and it belongs to me? Is this whole rant about the website in question
or a personal thing towards me?

My conscience is clean on this one.

[5]

Smash stated this is a previous post:

> Ok, Bottom line, he's been working on the fursuit sex site
> thing for years. I suppose I am a little burned because he
> wanted to make money off me. Quite frankly, I was really
> insulted when he tried to get me to use my werewolf suit
> in a video. He basicly told me how he thought a lot of money
> could be made because a lot of folks would pay big bucks to
> see my charachter havin sex. He had no interest in me, or
> any other part of my interest in costuming. All that mattered
> was getting the "sexy werewolf" in front of the camera.

Seems to me Smash that burning the costumes was your idea. And you didn't
seem to be too insulted when you were coming up with ideas also for a site.
And besides, it wasn't going to be an online site. We were talking about
making a full length movie in the genre of The Howling series.

And once again, I thought it was idle talk about a far off idea we didn't
have any hope of doing. I didn't know that you were actually taking the
idea seriously. Besides, I would NEVER be in a video like that (unless, of
course, Sigourney Weaver was playing Ripley and I was an alien, but that is
my personal fantasy :) :) :)

[6]

And, in conclusion to Smash:

Smash, get a life. You have a jealous streak in you a mile long. All you
seem to do is try to find a way to bash my name and slander me in any way
you can.

You, Smash, are not the center of the universe. You, Smash, are not an
alpha-male wolf (even though you pretend you are). You, Smash, are not the
leader of the Verdun wolf pack and you drag the good reputation of the owner
of Verdun in the dirt by attempting to assimilate his years of hard work.

You, Smash, work for SGI, a company who's better years are far behind it.
You, Smash, buy nice things and throw them in the face of all your friends
who have less. Anyone who owns something better than yourself you shun and
attack.

You, Smash, remind me of a schoolyard bully who, when he doesn't get
attention, throws a tantrum.

Grow up and get a life. I have one. They are nice.

I am sure that Smash will come back and try to pick my words apart and say
that I am still running FurNation and that this is all another lie. The
truth is I am gone and will not be back. I am sure that Smash will rant and
rave, but I feel he may be preaching to an empty room...

These are my last words to Smash and the fandom. It has been a great
adventure while it lasted.

END OF FILE

---

ilr

Jun 25, 2002, 8:37:38 AM6/25/02

"Nexxus" <Webm...@FurNation.com> wrote in message news:af9j3f$shl$1...@velox.critter.net...

---> Up till now I have remained quiet about this crappy fursuit site. <---

I think that says it all ;)

Sorry to hear about you getting stuck with a bunch of "duped" Ip's and a
congested "party line" :( (I know those aren't the real names for those
things, it's just my own vernacular).
-Ilr

Dwight J. Dutton

Jun 25, 2002, 12:20:58 PM6/25/02
> With everything offline the fursuit site still came up. He did a ping to
the site and it showed up at
> 209.223.12.23. Hmmm, now I wonder how that could be....

And this didn't cause any conflict with your own systems when they were
running? I may not be the internet expert that some are, but from what I've
been taught an IP can only resolve to one location. I am by no means saying
this is impossible, but I am really curious how this can be done.

> This decision has not been made in haste. I have been running FurNation
for
> over 5 years now, and it is time to hand over the system to a new
administrator.

Many things in this fandom have changed hands. Rowrbrazzle, VCL, Yerf,
Chris Grant's "empires" board, and others. All underwent a significant
change after the transfer, reflecting the nature of the new person in
control.

> Nexxus, AKA: Jessie James Alvin Robertson
> (I bet very few of you knew this is my real name)

Unless they happened to see you at a convention wearing a plastic military
style nameplate that said "James Robertson - Furnation Webmaster". That's
how I found out yoru real name, and I wasn't even trying.

Blackberry

Jun 25, 2002, 12:42:53 PM6/25/02
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:20:58 GMT, "Dwight wrote:

>> With everything offline the fursuit site still came up. He did a ping to
>the site and it showed up at
>> 209.223.12.23. Hmmm, now I wonder how that could be....
>
>And this didn't cause any conflict with your own systems when they were
>running? I may not be the internet expert that some are, but from what I've
>been taught an IP can only resolve to one location. I am by no means saying
>this is impossible, but I am really curious how this can be done.

He shut down all of the Furnation servers, then used an independent laptop to
ping the Fursuitsex server, and it was still up. It's really pretty easy to do,
as long as you have more than one computer.

--
"They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. Whoa, there they go!"
- Otto, The Simpsons

artist

Jun 25, 2002, 1:29:34 PM6/25/02
Artist, the good little Microsoft drone heard "Nexxus"
<Webm...@FurNation.com> say...

<snip>

I realy appreciate the webhosting you gave me; I only wish some of the more
vitrolous fans appreciated the good you've done. Good luck in whatever your
passion in. I for one will miss you.

--
ICQ UIN# 106922763
AIM: GCCFurryBoy

"Neither hope no fear" -- Isabella d'Este
"For to do either is to fall to the beast" -- Joseph Richmond

Ostrich

Jun 25, 2002, 4:25:04 PM6/25/02
I'm sorry to see you go, and I appreciate the years of effort and the money
that you've spent making sure that people had a reliable, well-run furry art
server.

Todd Knarr

Jun 25, 2002, 4:53:57 PM6/25/02
In alt.fan.furry <KL0S8.148858$nZ3.64530@rwcrnsc53> Dwight J. Dutton <dwight...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> And this didn't cause any conflict with your own systems when they were
> running? I may not be the internet expert that some are, but from what I've
> been taught an IP can only resolve to one location. I am by no means saying
> this is impossible, but I am really curious how this can be done.

One IP address can only point to one machine, yes. But Web site != machine.
Most Web servers can be configured to look at a) the Host: header your
browser sends and/or b) the host part of the URL in the GET request if
present to determine which Web site you asked for. A front-end system
could do the same, forwarding everything for furnation.com on to Nexxus'
systems and forwarding other sites to other systems. This would be
pretty much invisible unless someone deliberately tested the system with
software that didn't send the Host: header and didn't include the host
in the GET request ( my favorite for this is "telnet" ).

If this is UI, welcome to the club, here's the Advil and the broadsword.

--
Safety hint, dude ... never, ever get up to go to the john at night unless
you can actually feel your body.

Kitryn de Pluie

Jun 25, 2002, 4:59:53 PM6/25/02

> These are my last words to Smash and the fandom. It has been a great
> adventure while it lasted.
>
> END OF FILE

I hope you succeed in your endeavours, Nexxus.

Bon chance. :)

--
Kitryn de Pluie the Anthro Fox
--DRAGONCODE--

Jeff Novotny

Jun 26, 2002, 12:05:22 AM6/26/02
Nexxus wrote:

> These are my last words to Smash and the fandom. It has been a great
> adventure while it lasted.

Good luck and thank you for the efforts you've provided. :)

Best;
Jeff

Message has been deleted

Pegasus316

Jun 27, 2002, 3:16:49 AM6/27/02
It is truly a shame when someone feels they need to leave a group/fandom
in order to carry on a happy life. Nexxus, Dude, I can honestly say that
you're gonna be missed.

I, personally, would like to thank you for all the work you've done for
everyone hosted under FurNation. My wife included.

To be honest, and this is absolutely NO exageration, I actually have you
to thank for my having found her in the first place. After all, it was
the chat room set up under FurNation where LadyKam and I first met!

Seeing a message like this makes me feel like I could have done
something to help. Granted, I'm one of 800+ artists listed on that
server. And, I'm sure you've heard from each and every one of 'em. So,
it can't always be easy to remember conversations you've had with most.
;)

Regardless, you did a lot for Kammy and I personally. I can't thank you
enough for that alone. Much less the space that you've provided for both
of us at FurNation. We've garnered enough of a following with our
artwork as a result to get some very nice responses to our works. Thank
you for that, as well. :)

You da man, Jessie. I hope life takes you to only the best places from
here. You've earned it after all this time.

Good luck to ya, Dude!

Seeya!

Adam "Pegasus316" Fullerton
http://www.FurNation.com/Pegasus316 (<-Now and forever, Dude.)