Morphicon Miscellanea - October 2010 Edition

Foxx (in a box)

Oct 4, 2010, 8:41:15 PM10/4/10
-= Morphicon 2010 Picnic - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly =-
Our deepest thanks go out to all who attended this year's Morphicon
picnic at Sharon Woods Metro Park. The day was beautiful, the food was
excellent, and the whole day was a blast! For those of you unable to
attend, you missed the most successful picnic to date. Photos of the
event can be found on Morphicon.org. As for news of what went on, keep
reading!

The Good - With the "official" count of fifty furs, attendance grew
over 50% of last year's total. Also, while only scheduled until 4pm,
the picnic went on well past six. We were able to secure a shelter and
many took part in badminton and mock battling. We even had a handful
of fursuiters show to make the event more memorable.

The Bad - Our assigned Grill-Meister, Savant, was unable to make it to
the picnic. Not to fear, however, as our Con Chair, Jewel, stepped in
to fill the gap. In all, he spent the majority of the day grilling
fifteen pounds of hamburger and seven pounds of hot dogs to feed all
the hungry attendees. Thanks go to him for donating his time to make
sure everyone was fed.

The Ugly - Only one real event marred this year's picnic and that was
the doffing of Husky's tail. Being Labour Day weekend, there were a
few events going on at the park which attracted a number of children
with their parents. While many enjoyed seeing the fursuiters,
apparently a few took exception to the canine and both pulled of his
tail while dislocating the jaw of his suit. While I'm sure a mauling
was in order, kudos go to Husky for keeping his cool instead of
creating a modern day Red Riding Hood event.

Now with the picnic safely behind us, your dedicated Morphicon staff
turns its attention to the actual con, now only seven months away. As
for another small gathering in the interim, we shall see. Stay tuned
to the newsletter for all updated Morphicon news!

-= 2011 GoH's Announced!=-
After much deliberation (and back-alley dealing?), it has been decided
Morphicon 2011 will have two Guests of Honour: Flinters and Roxikat!
Both wonderful artists in their own right, we look forward to sharing
them with you in person this May.

- Flinters (http://www.furaffinity.net/user/flinters/) -

MINT.
Flinters hails from the crazy land of rain, coffee, and software, also
known as Seattle, WA, where he is a parts logistics manager at
Microsoft. A wide variety of past jobs including amusement park ride
operator, heavy truck driver, and auto service manager has given him a
different look on life which has horribly twisted him forever. Much to
everyone's benefit he claims.
This mint-munching addict has been in the fandom for a good 20 plus
years and drawing for most of those. Creator of the now retired
ROOMIES webcomic that ran for eight years, he is now working on
SCAVENGERS, the space-based action adventure comic from Jarlidium
Press. Preferring traditional art over digital, he works in pencil,
pen, and marker. The artist persona, a kangaroo, can be found online
FurryMuck and elsewhere, including FurAffinity that has more than 1000
images and thousands more followers. If you love kangaroos, silliness,
and adult art, you will do well to follow this artist.
Oh, and he likes mint too.

- Roxikat (http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Roxikat) -

John "Roxikat" Barrett went to his first furry convention in October
1995. Anxious to meet his friends from FurryMUCK, he safety-pinned
pink pajamas around a pair of balloons and was crazy enough to go out
in public like this. Even crazier, he's still doing it after more than
a decade.
In the '90s, he published Roxikat comics in Furthest North Crew
APAzine, exorcising personal demons and doing a Canadian Star Trek
parody. At the same time, he was getting work in the Gold Digger
Annual from Antarctic Press and drew huge boob comics for Magnificent
Milkmaid #1 from White Lightning Productions. Shortly after, he got
the okay to do a furry spinoff graphic novel called Gold Digger: Edge
Guard from Radio Comix. He later did the art for Radio's Unusual U
miniseries before disappearing from the manga scene. In Radio's annual
Genus Male, John published homoerotic comics in issues #2-5 where he
introduced his Game Boys characters. At FurPlanet, John published the
Game Boys Summer Special 2005 where he invented the jackal/ horse
hybrid Hossifer. Kind of burnt out of the state of the independent
comics industry in recent years, art is more a hobby lately.
With the help of his best friend Kamber of onedaystudios.com, he built
his own Hossifer fursuit, and is getting used to fursuiting as a guy
for a change.
John's stuff can be found on FurAffinity. He's also on Livejournal and
Twitter as Roxikat.

-= Still Searching for Artists =-
We are always looking for art for the various publications we put out
and that is no exception this month. If you have anything you would
like to donate, please don't hesitate to let us know. Submissions can
always be sent to publicity[at]morphicon.org at any time for nearly
anything con-related.

Right now, we are especially requesting art for our Furry Trackers
Guide, a booklet for con-goers, showing various locations were one
might procure food, access to an ATM, etc. The art should reflect this
year's theme of Furries in Wonderland, with a focus on a specific
section. Please feel free to send any questions and artwork to
lightpawssoftpaws[at]yahoo.com. We can't guarantee we can use all the
art but your contribution will be mentioned nonetheless.

---

Want to see additional content or have something to say about the
latest newsletter? Please visit the enhanced HTML version at
Morphicon.org and let us know what you think!