Where to start?

Aquila

May 7, 1993, 2:07:46 AM5/7/93

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and I've become really
interested in what I've seen.

My question is: Now that I've become interested in 'furriness', how do
I learn more about it? What should I buy? What should I read? Who
should I talk to? How do I become more involved? Where should I begin?

I'm sorry for the generality of the question, and I'm sorry if this
question is covered in a FAQ, but I haven't seen mention of one
lately so I assume one does not exist. A pointer to one would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Chris Bochna
boc...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Craig F. Aoki

May 7, 1993, 2:28:34 PM5/7/93

BO> I'm sorry for the generality of the question, and I'm sorry
BO> if this question is covered in a FAQ, but I haven't seen
BO> mention of one lately so I assume one does not exist. A
BO> pointer to one would be greatly appreciated.

FAQ is there FAQ for this newsgroup?

I have never seen it if there is one...

Can some one tell me if there is one or
E-Mail it to me?
--
Hello is any one home?
I've fallen and can't get up.

James Lynn

May 7, 1993, 3:41:18 PM5/7/93
In a previous article, Craig F. Aoki (co...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu) wrote:

> FAQ is there FAQ for this newsgroup?

> I have never seen it if there is one...

> Can some one tell me if there is one or
> E-Mail it to me?

Never seen one, myself. Maybe it's about time somebody put one together?

--James

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| James Charles Lynn | "I always wondered why you put up with |
| -o- | me," Arissa said quietly. "Most of my |
| jam...@cie-2.uoregon.edu | employees hand in their resignation |
| -o- | the first time I beat them senseless." |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Greywolf

May 7, 1993, 8:26:23 PM5/7/93
In article <C6n7o...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, boc...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Aquila) writes:
> My question is: Now that I've become interested in 'furriness', how do
> I learn more about it? What should I buy? What should I read? Who
> should I talk to? How do I become more involved? Where should I begin?

Well, I don't think there's any official "furry" Bible, although some might
think that there IS and its name is "Albedo". =,

From what I gather, a good number of the folks who post here are readers of
various small-press (usu. black-and-white) comics with "furry" characters.
Particular titles of note would include, IMHO, "Rhudiprrt", put out by MU
Press, "Albedo" put out by Antarctic Press, and "Red Shetland", put out by
GraphXPress. There are also a slew of different fanzines, and I have a file
(which probably needs updating again) which I can email upon request that lists
addresses for a bunch of them.

From my point of view, there's nothing you have to buy or read in order to
become a "well-versed furry". If you check out any comics store or the
sci-fi/fantasy section of your bookstore, it should be a relatively simple
matter to find those titles which would qualify as "furry" ... You just look
for the animal-type characters. From my particular perspective, "furries" are
defined more by look than anything. I count the characters that some would
scoff at and call "humans in animal suits" as being just as "furry" as those
that are so "genuine" that they bark, yip and do other authentic animal things.

> I'm sorry for the generality of the question, and I'm sorry if this
> question is covered in a FAQ, but I haven't seen mention of one
> lately so I assume one does not exist. A pointer to one would be
> greatly appreciated.

Well, the closest thing I've seen to an FAQ is that Dr. Pepper's definition
whatchamacallit, but I disagree with several of the points in it. IMHO, it
tries to define "furrydom" as an almost religious experience or somesuch. No,
I don't go around roleplaying a wolf in real life ... that is, unless I'm
playing a roleplaying game. Yep, sorry to say, this writer is actually a
human. (Hisssss!) Sad, isn't it? Ah well, life goes on. =)

Anyway, I strongly recommend Rhudiprrt. Anybody go the address handy?
--
-Jordan .. PEACO...@iscsvax.uni.edu
.OO. Jordan Greywolf (Jordan Peacock)

Robert Davis

May 7, 1993, 9:08:55 PM5/7/93
Chris, the best place to start is your local comic book store.
There you can pick up quite a few books that are furry oriented. If you
want still MORE material, quite a few of the people on alt.fan.furry are
self-published. They will furnish you with addresses if requested.
Myself, I lurk. I pick up furry art/comics/whatever when I can.

Enjoy.

ProLine: keith@pro-amber
Internet: ke...@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-amber!keith

Vinso...@f143.n103.z1.fidonet.org

May 7, 1993, 7:00:01 PM5/7/93
Get us an RL mailing address, and we'll send you copies of In-Fur-Nation...
which will give you PLENTY of places to start :)

Mink
ye ConFurence Co-Director

--- FMail 0.94