Submitted Ponderings on Furry Erotica Awards... (Re: Crowbar Jokes)

Brian O'connell

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
I was making up some meatloaf and thinking to keep my mind occupied, of
anything, pretty much, to keep me from getting bored with constantly mixing
the ingrediants... When the strangest thought popped into my head: The
Crowbar discussion to be precise... Having a bit of a free associative
mentality, I flashed back on something I saw in the Sovietski (a company
that sells cold war relics from Russia, amongst other things) catalog,
specifically, a titanium crowbar... I was pondering getting this as a joke
for Steve Gallacci a little while back, you see, an extension on the joke...
When it dawned on me: Out of all the awards for fannish artists,
specifically furry artists, there don't appear to be ANY categories for
erotic art...

Suddenly a beam of light shot out of the sky and hit me, why not create
an award for furry erotica artists, based on the merits of their work?
Technical ability, delivery of a (if any) message, creativity, originality,
concepts and delivery... These are just as valid on the grounds of erotic
works as they are ANY genre of art, regardless of any outside group's
opinions on the subject matter... This could include but not be limited to
pinups, cheesecake, eroticism (non spooge) or blatant erotica...

I know what you're probably asking, "Well, they get paid to do it, so
why should those spooge artists recieve any more praise than that? Anyone
can do spooge!"... Well, if such was the case, then how come so FEW are
doing it well, properly, or in some cases, even adequately? Perhaps if a new
standard was made visible, there would be a modicum of respect for the genre
and fresh incentive for furry artists to develop their craft... As one furry
artist who even today still gets the occasional "You're scum because you
draw spooge for money, why don't you improve on your art???" comment, I have
to say that the very statement is in NO way any encouragement... If I, as an
artist, actually get any compliments on advancing my art, I'd be happy with
so much as that... However, hardly anyone does, preferring to critique or
flame, rather than say anything good at all...

So the idea dawned on me, start an awards group, dedicated to furry
erotica... There's already one (of sorts) for top furry writers, top furry
artists, etc... Out of furries who're known for writing erotica, the ONLY
real exception to the prior statements is Paul Kidd... As for furry erotic
art, well hey, if the only press presented on it is how evil it is, then
nobody will EVER attempt to promote it in a positive light, and the only
ones in pursuit of it will be the lowest of the low, the pervert scum that
so many claim it attracts...

And so, I propose the Furry Erotic Art Appreciation group, and their
award for the best erotic furry artists, The Titanium Crowbar...

Give this serious (well, tongue in cheek on the titanium crowbar
bit...;)) consideration please... If you cannot ban furry erotica outright,
then at the very least, try to encourage and promote GOOD furry erotica...
Thank you...

Sarenthalanos

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00

Brian O'connell <neuromanson_H...@home.com> wrote in message

> And so, I propose the Furry Erotic Art Appreciation group, and their
> award for the best erotic furry artists, The Titanium Crowbar...
>
> Give this serious (well, tongue in cheek on the titanium crowbar
> bit...;)) consideration please... If you cannot ban furry erotica
outright,
> then at the very least, try to encourage and promote GOOD furry erotica...
> Thank you...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I can just see it now....

Everyone who sees The Titanium Crowbar is going to wonder what the hell it's
about, and all sorts of more legends are made and such....

Sounds great, and is rather funny.

--
-Sarenthalanos

Daily Words of Wisdom:

Sleep? We don' need no stinkin' sleep!

]=-----------------------------------------------=[
|\ | |\ /| /\ http://fallout.gamestats.com
| \ | | \ / | /__\ No Mutants Allowed
| \| | \/ | / \ Your #1 Fallout site
]=-----------------------------------------------=[

ilr

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00

> I know what you're probably asking, "Well, they get paid to do it, so
> why should those spooge artists recieve any more praise than that? Anyone
> can do spooge!"...

Hey, I resent that. I, and a few others I know are pretty darned amateur
and proud of it.

> Give this serious (well, tongue in cheek on the titanium crowbar
> bit...;)) consideration please... If you cannot ban furry erotica outright,
> then at the very least, try to encourage and promote GOOD furry erotica...
> Thank you...

Sounds like a great idea to me. The object an award resembles hardly ever
has any obvious relation to the category it rewards(atleast in the arts).

And rather than just a yearly event, pass it on at a couple Con's to keep
things from getting old. FC, CF, MFM, AC?(though I don't get the feeling
that AC was a very Erotica-Friendly con?)

Yeah, try and get ahold of that crowbar, or just spray-paint an ordinary
one gold or silver(or even white ;)). Etching it with a title or even a picture
would be cool too.
-Ilr

Brian O'connell

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00

"Sarenthalanos" <Sarent...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Brian O'connell <neuromanson_H...@home.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
>
> I can just see it now....
>
> Everyone who sees The Titanium Crowbar is going to wonder what the hell
it's
> about, and all sorts of more legends are made and such....
>
> Sounds great, and is rather funny.
>

> --
> -Sarenthalanos

Not only that, but the winner also recieves a piece of cold war memorabilia!
These are surplus Soviet crowbars, supposedly military surplus...;)

Brian O'connell

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
I can snag them from www.sovietski.com for $37 apiece, however, etching may
be out of the picture, being that the crowbars have a rounded surface, as
opposed to straight level lines like conventional crowbars... Hard to etch
on a curved surface (considering the metal in question, unknown how well it
responds to machining, and whether dust particles would be toxic)... I'd
need to ask an experienced metal worker to be sure...

Ostrich

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Brian O'connell <neuromanson_H...@home.com> wrote:

> (considering the metal in question, unknown how well it
> responds to machining, and whether dust particles would be toxic)... I'd
> need to ask an experienced metal worker to be sure...

In its metallic form, it's physiologically inert, according to the
CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (70th ed.). It's
apparently not that difficult to machine, although it will catch
fire if overheated. I know that titanium dioxide is commonly
used as an opacifier in cosmetics, and as a sunblock, so I
can't see any health risks associated with machining it.
--
-Ostrich! <") http://www.furnation.com/ostrich
(ex industrial chemist)

Brian O'connell

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Steve Gallacci just filled me in on that, I should have remembered titanium
dioxide pigments bring in nontox paints, but ahwell, one cannot be *too*
cautious with semiexotic metals... And best to err on the side of caution in
some cases...

"Ostrich" <ost...@fysh.org> wrote in message

MouseHouse

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Brian O'connell wrote:

> Technical ability, delivery of a (if any) message, creativity, originality,
> concepts and delivery...

With erotica-specific categories like: Best Group Scene, Best New-Comer,
Besturbation, and don't forget comedy.

> And so, I propose the Furry Erotic Art Appreciation group, and their
> award for the best erotic furry artists, The Titanium Crowbar...

In the shape of a.... :-D

--

***********
Steve's Art Spot

Kathmandu

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
The award is a fantastic idea! I love it! The actual awarding of a real titanium
crowbar is, well, pricey though. The notion of just handing someone a crowbar
and saying "you win" is kinda, I dunno, unprofessional. What may be a better
idea is to purchase one titanium crowbar and mount it on a plaque with
appropriate words and/or images in basrelief (you know, make it look like an
actual award) and present it to Steve G. (or whoever) because he started it all.
Then make smaller replicas using cast resin glued to a nice wooden (or wood
like) plaque in place of the real thing. Make it about 8x10 or so to allow easy
handling and placement on a wall or desk. Once you have the mold, you can make
hundreds if needed a lot cheaper than a crowbar at $37 + shipping each. I'm
thinking more along the lines of a gold plated crowbar myself...

Brian O'connell

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
The thing is, however, that the award is annual, not something that runs at
*every* con... So in those numbers, you're talking about spending $37 per
year on the awards, a little time in preparation, and providing a HUGE
amount of positive publicity... Something the fandom has been needing for a
while... Taking that into account, $37 is CHEAP in comparison...

"Kathmandu" <katmandu@/hat/vidnet.net> wrote in message

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
In article <8lmkb8$m8h$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>, "ilr" <i...@rof.net> writes:
> > I know what you're probably asking, "Well, they get paid to do
> > it, so why should those spooge artists recieve any more praise than
> > that? Anyone can do spooge!"...
>
> Hey, I resent that. I, and a few others I know are pretty darned
> amateur and proud of it.

Yeah, but the thing is, as soon as any fool piiks up a pencil and decides to
draw furry art, the first thing they try to draw is something like a Nekkid
fox.

(Of course, the same can be said of wanna bee Fantasy artists, except it's
usually a nekkid elf-maiden, but you see my point).

The worst ones will usually then post it on the net.

(Ever notice the nearly inverse ratio between the quality of the art and the
size of the watermark?)

--
"if Marylin Manson has more of an influence on a kid than the kid's parents
do, then maybe the parents need to look at how they're raising their kids."

RebelSqurl

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
In article <8lmi47$q4u$1...@raccoon.fur.com>, "Sarenthalanos"
<Sarent...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> writes:

>Brian O'connell <neuromanson_H...@home.com> wrote in message

>> And so, I propose the Furry Erotic Art Appreciation group, and their
>> award for the best erotic furry artists, The Titanium Crowbar...
>>

>> Give this serious (well, tongue in cheek on the titanium crowbar
>> bit...;)) consideration please... If you cannot ban furry erotica
>outright,
>> then at the very least, try to encourage and promote GOOD furry erotica...
>> Thank you...
>

>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
>
>I can just see it now....
>
>Everyone who sees The Titanium Crowbar is going to wonder what the hell it's
>about, and all sorts of more legends are made and such....
>
>Sounds great, and is rather funny.

Hmm...I wonder. Would it be like the Stanley Cup, with the name of that year's
winner engraved on it, and the winner gets to keep it for a year and take it
wherever he/she wants?

Would make a heck of a conversation piece on those dinner dates! <VBG>

-- Jeff "Reb" Pierce, bein' silly...

FamlyMan15

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
>> And so, I propose the Furry Erotic Art Appreciation group, and their
>>> award for the best erotic furry artists, The Titanium Crowbar...

Proposal accepted!!! Great idea, and I do believe it would help to raise the
bar, (no pun intended) on erotic art.

>>Sounds great, and is rather funny.
>
>Hmm...I wonder. Would it be like the Stanley Cup, with the name of that
>year's
>winner engraved on it, and the winner gets to keep it for a year and take it
>wherever he/she wants?

That would work........ as long as it taken,"wherever" and not used for
"whatever".... LOL. I don' t think they drink from the Stanley cup...

Brian O'connell

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
I was thinking of making the crowbars for individual recipients, it
isn't much of a reward if you don't get to keep it... Besides, they're
relatively inexpensive... If I cannot afford to provide enough for say, 5
crowbars ($171 before shipping cost) a year, then I'm doing something
wrong...;)

"FamlyMan15" <famly...@aol.com> wrote in message

ilr

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

> Steve Gallacci just filled me in on that, I should have remembered titanium
> dioxide pigments bring in nontox paints, but ahwell, one cannot be *too*
> cautious with semiexotic metals... And best to err on the side of caution in
> some cases...

So umm Brian...
Exactly what cases would that be?
(and no, you don't have to draw me a picture ;))
-Ilr

Ostrich

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Brian O'connell <neuromanson_H...@home.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of making the crowbars for individual recipients, it
> isn't much of a reward if you don't get to keep it... Besides, they're
> relatively inexpensive...

One has to wonder how long the titanium crowbars will be
available from the supplier, though. It'd be embarassing to
call it the 'Titanium Crowbar', and then not be able to get
crowbars made from titanium in a few years. Prolly safer to
put the winner's name on the crowbar and let them keep that
for a year, and then also give them a plaque or something that
they get to keep permanently.

Brian O'connell

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Or perhaps a replacement steel crowbar to put on the awards plaque... But in
either case, if I can generate enough to buy in bulk, I could just purchase
about 10 years worth of crowbars, in batches as funds permit... I see no
real cause to continue the awards beyond 10 years, and within that time,
perhaps someone will have a suitable replacement for the award...

"Ostrich" <ost...@fysh.org> wrote in message

Brian O'connell

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
The erroneous preconception I was having that inhalation of titanium dust
particles could be hazardous to my health, from the engraving process...

Kathmandu

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
> The thing is, however, that the award is annual, not something that runs at
> *every* con... So in those numbers, you're talking about spending $37 per
> year on the awards, a little time in preparation, and providing a HUGE
> amount of positive publicity... Something the fandom has been needing for a
> while... Taking that into account, $37 is CHEAP in comparison...

I like the idea of different catagories though, maybe 5 or so. Best cheesecake,
best hardcore, best story, that sort of thing as opposed to one award per year.

Kai

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Here's an even wackier idea...how about awards for non-erotica furry
artwork? I'd say they deserve a lot more incentive.

Just a thot.

Brian O'connell

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
There's already such, and more than ample recognition... Furry erotic
artists, in the meanwhile, are kept out of any recognition by the furry
fans, like so the bastard cousin people don't like to talk about at
Thanksgiving dinner...

"Kai" <nu...@eightqueens.com> wrote in message

FromTheDes...@stukafox.com

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Kai <nu...@eightqueens.com> wrote:
> Here's an even wackier idea...how about awards for non-erotica furry
> artwork? I'd say they deserve a lot more incentive.

> Just a thot.

So much so that I was just thinking that such an award might
be a good use of that $500.00 I was gonna spend on that web
ring.

StukaFox

Kai

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

> There's already such, and more than ample recognition...

A lot of mainstream furry artists may disagree on the recognition part, but
I'm curious, what kind of awards are there, and who's handing them out?

Brian O'connell

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
I don't recall the award's name offhand, but there was one at some point or
another... Otherwise, I do recall there being some form of poll at a past
furry con art show... As for recognition, well gee, there's fanzines,
comics, and a whole bloody website dedicated to nothing but furry art
(Yerf), what else do they want?

Either way, if you want to start an *official* award for non erotic furry
art, feel free... I won't do it, simply due to the fact that many of them
are also in the Burned Furs, and otherwise, at least as far as it goes for
the clean art scene, there has always been more than a smidgen of animosity
towards me for sticking by my guns and drawing what *I* choose to... To most
of them, the prospect of getting a blessing from Brian O'connell is much the
same as a curse...

"Kai" <nu...@eightqueens.com> wrote in message

Rick Pikul

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
In article <8lpgd0$a3i$1...@crucigera.fysh.org>,
neuromanson_H...@home.com says...

> The erroneous preconception I was having that inhalation of titanium dust
> particles could be hazardous to my health, from the engraving process...

Actually they can, for the same reason that any metal dust is
hazardous. Wear a dust mask.

--
Phoenix

Rick Pikul

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
In article <20000727075427...@ng-md1.aol.com>,
famly...@aol.com says...

> >> And so, I propose the Furry Erotic Art Appreciation group, and their
>
> Proposal accepted!!! Great idea, and I do believe it would help to raise the
> bar, (no pun intended) on erotic art.
>

> >>Sounds great, and is rather funny.
> >
> >Hmm...I wonder. Would it be like the Stanley Cup, with the name of that
> >year's
> >winner engraved on it, and the winner gets to keep it for a year and take it
> >wherever he/she wants?
> >

> That would work........ as long as it taken,"wherever" and not used for
> "whatever".... LOL. I don' t think they drink from the Stanley cup...

Currently the cup is only used to drink champaign when it is won,
but historically it has been used as a drinking cup on many occasions.

BTW: It will only be kept by the NHL champions when they actually
win the cup, and that requires beating the Loafs in the finals, (it's
actually a challenge cup).

--
Phoenix

Dale Farmer

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

More H*ckey trivia. Lord Stanley's cup is permanently ensconced ( I am
pretty
sure) at the NHL Hall of Fame. The cup that travels to the playoff game
is
actually a replica. The original only leaves when it takes a trip to
the
engravers to have a new team name put on it, and every so often, another
ring
added to it's base when they run out of room. So those delivery company
commercials got it wrong. *grins* The replica travels in a custom case
designed
and built by the Anvil Case Company.

--Dale

FamlyMan15

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
> I don' t think they drink from the Stanley cup...

> Currently the cup is only used to drink champaign when it is won,
>> but historically it has been used as a drinking cup on many occasions.

>Lord Stanley's cup is permanently ensconced ( I am

>pretty
>sure) at the NHL Hall of Fame. The cup that travels to the playoff game
>is
>actually a replica. The original only leaves when it takes a trip to
>the
>engravers to have a new team name put on it, and every so often, another
>ring
>added to it's base when they run out of room.

I stand corrected........ but this adds a new twist.... If the crowbar is
"useable" per say, and the engravers runout of room.... adding rings would only
make it that more "useful".... no? LOL

William Earl Haskell

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
FamlyMan15 wrote:
snip

> > The original only leaves when it takes a trip to
> >the
> >engravers to have a new team name put on it, and every so often, another
> >ring
> >added to it's base when they run out of room.
>
> I stand corrected........ but this adds a new twist.... If the crowbar is
> "useable" per say, and the engravers runout of room.... adding rings would only
> make it that more "useful".... no? LOL

"*Ribbed* for your using pleasure..."

Ostrich

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
Rick Pikul <rwp...@idirect.com> wrote:

> Currently the cup is only used to drink champaign when it is won,
> but historically it has been used as a drinking cup on many occasions.

I recall an occurrence some years back (around 1980 or so, I think)
when the Indianapolis Ice minor league hockey team won their
championship. They took the trophy out on the town for a night
of celebrating. By the next morning a bar was wrecked, many of
the team were in jail, the base of the trophy was missing, and the
cup portion had been smashed flat. It was a bit of a local scandal,
although some of us felt that the team had personified the true spirit
of hockey, and were proud of them.
I'm sorry to relate that the trophy was completely restored. Personally,
I'd have liked to have seen them just beat out the worst of the dents,
and pass it on like that. Gives it character...

Cerulean

Aug 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/3/00
Quoth Dale Farmer:

>> BTW: It will only be kept by the NHL champions when they actually
>> win the cup, and that requires beating the Loafs in the finals, (it's
>> actually a challenge cup).

With that reference to a bunch of men "beating the loafs," this thread
has come full circle.

--
___vvz /( Cerulean = Kevin Pease http://cerulean.st/
<__,` Z / ( DC2.~D GmAL~W-R+++Ac~J+S+Fr++IH$M-V+++Cbl,spu