New to net & furry

William O'Halloran

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
I have just gotten on the internet via a webtv unit and have "found"
this group! I guest I was a furry long before I learn about the furry
groups. I have always been a fan of animorphic films (Secret of Nimh,
Cat's can't Dance, DIsney ect..) and years ago while station (Navy) at
San Diego I subcribed to Critters, captain Jack, & Albedo. I even went
to several of the Comic conventions, but once I got out of the navy I
fell out of contact and couldn't find any local comic stores that had
any "good" animorphic comics. I still read all the "furry" novels I
could and on rare occasions found some artwork or articles on the
subject.

Now that I found this ng I will be a follower of it and Occasional
poster but need some advice! what is a YIFF?, what are some of the other
furry newsgroups? why can't I seem to access Matt The Pagan Fur's
website? (saw bluebirds hate site and would like to see Matt's page).

I now live in the Wilmington DE area i would like to know if anyone
knows a good comic shop in this area (Baltimore through Phillidelphia)
where I can buy back issuse of comics. I NEED to find out WHAT happen
to Erma Felna and the EDF! Also need info on any conventions in the
Philly area.

WillliamJames
(no net-name or personalized sig yet)

Ash

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
can you say fan boy?....

William O'Halloran wrote in message
<12925-35...@newsd-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Bob "Rac Cooney" Nelson

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
I originally thought it meant "you're into furry fandom" but have since
found out
at least two of its meanings: a)it's a sound foxes make, or b) it stands
for
"You're an Incredibly Fuckable Fellow/Female".
The pirate radio station at Albany Anthrocon was WYIF.
There is,or was, a Yiffco and a Yiffnet.
I've seen bumper stickers and pins saying "Are You Yiffy?"

There may be other or different meanings.

Ostrich! <)

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98

Yay! Welcome :)

-Ostrich! <")

See Vicky Rabbit's Scrapbook! http://web.raex.com/~ostrich/victoria

Doodles

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 06:54:44 -0400 (EDT), Willia...@webtv.net
(William O'Halloran) wrote:

> I have just gotten on the internet via a webtv unit and have "found"
>this group!

Congratulations! WebTV needs work, but any port in the storm, I
always say.

> I guest I was a furry long before I learn about the furry
>groups. I have always been a fan of animorphic films (Secret of Nimh,
>Cat's can't Dance, DIsney ect..) and years ago while station (Navy) at
>San Diego I subcribed to Critters, captain Jack, & Albedo. I even went
>to several of the Comic conventions, but once I got out of the navy I
>fell out of contact and couldn't find any local comic stores that had
>any "good" animorphic comics. I still read all the "furry" novels I
>could and on rare occasions found some artwork or articles on the
>subject.

Yep, you fit right into this bunch of wackos. =};-3

If you're looking for access to furry material, one good source is Ed
Zolna's Mailbox Books. Here's the address...

Mailbox Books
P.O. Box 1278
Roslyn, PA
19001

email: mbb...@erols.com

Get his catalog and see what you can catch up on.

> Now that I found this ng I will be a follower of it and Occasional

>poster but need some advice! what is a YIFF?,

A Young, Intelligent, Fuckable Fox. Use term with caution.

>what are some of the other furry newsgroups?

There's alt.lifestyle.furry, but I don't know if that's your speed.
Take a look, get the FAQ file and see.

There's also a fur.* hirearchy on Usenet, but I don't know if WebTV
can access it.

>why can't I seem to access Matt The Pagan Fur's
>website? (saw bluebirds hate site and would like to see Matt's page).

No idea. Individual sites can have varying problems.

One of the best sites to start from is www.furnation.com, which hosts
a number of artist pages as well as links to other furry places.

> I now live in the Wilmington DE area i would like to know if anyone
>knows a good comic shop in this area (Baltimore through Phillidelphia)
>where I can buy back issuse of comics.

I don't know the comics stores in your area, being a Californian, but
the Mailbox Books addy might be able to help you some.

> I NEED to find out WHAT happen to Erma Felna and the EDF!

Don't we all? =};-3

[Gootch, if you're reading this, now's as good a time as any to fill
us in on how Albedo is coming along...]

>Also need info on any conventions in the Philly area.

There's at least two major events you can try in that area, as well as
a cartoon/furry society that meets monthly. [Rune, Kagemushi, help me
with the details.]

The closest event right now is Philcon, which does have a nice
gathering of furries from the local area. That's held around
Thanksgiving, if my poor memory serves.

The next event after that will be Anthrocon, which is held in Valley
Forge, PA over the 4th of July weekend.

Keep checking here and I'm sure somebody will post the rest of the
details. In the meanwhile, welcome to the nuthouse. Watch out for
evil squirrels. =};-3

Unca Spooge, not about to explain _his_ moniker at this time...

Kagur

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Welcome to the party:)
Kagur
alt.fan.furry

Chama

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
<snipped long and informative posting about other interesting issues>

> > Now that I found this ng I will be a follower of it and Occasional
> >poster but need some advice! what is a YIFF?,
> A Young, Intelligent, Fuckable Fox. Use term with caution.

Now, that's something that I really would like to have a second opinion
about. The term, as I see it and have heard from various sources, was
originally an onomatopoetic expression, commonly used by vulpines as a
happy and excited greeting. Later theories have also included that the
expression might be involved in the making of more and smaller foxes,
although I have not found any historical reference to that. Please if
you [anyone] have more data on this subject, help clarify matters a
trifle.

As "Y.I.F.F" being abbreviation for a diverse fauna of more or less
dubious expressions (Yummy Incredibly [that word that many americans use
so much]-able Fox, or the suggestion above, and other even more
ludicrous expressions), well that's a theory that should be taken with a
grain of salt (in some cases, a fully loaded supertanker). Today the
terms "Yiff", "Yiffy", et.c. are used in any context from a nonformal
greeting or a general descriptor for something that might be related to
furries (ref: YiffNet) to the most kinky and undescribable situations
that are better left undescribed in a public medium like this :) As with
the concept of furry, I guess that yiff is precisely what you make it,
no more, no less.

So, what's _your_ definition ?

Regards: Chama fox who really doesn't know, does he?

--
WWW: http://www.vulpine.pp.se/
Furry Code: FCF[Cape fox]6a A C D H+ M- P+ R+ T+++ W Z- Sm# RLCT/LM a

Amy 'Amara' Pronovost

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:45:02 GMT, doo...@cheezies.primenet.com
(Doodles) was chased around by rabid Ewoks for posting this drivel!

>One of the best sites to start from is www.furnation.com, which hosts
>a number of artist pages as well as links to other furry places.

I'd be more inclined to point a newbie to http://yerf.com

Too much sex on Furnation, if someone had pointed me there when I fist
found this group, I would have waved a hand and gone 'See-ya later,
guys!'.

Introduce people to the clean stuff first ;)

Amy

Luke?

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:28:33 +0200, Chama <d95...@nada.kth.se> wrote:

>So, what's _your_ definition ?

"Yarblockos Installed For Free" - do I win a prize?

--
Luke Gattuso - Lousy email: dogw...@hotmail.com
Lousy web page: http://www.csun.edu/~lg42537/index.html

Elf Sternberg

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <12925-35...@newsd-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net>
Willia...@webtv.net (William O'Halloran) writes:

> Now that I found this ng I will be a follower of it and Occasional

>poster but need some advice! what is a YIFF?, what are some of the other
>furry newsgroups? why can't I seem to access Matt The Pagan Fur's

>website? (saw bluebirds hate site and would like to see Matt's page).

Welcome! Although some might question why anyone would want
to walk into what is ocassionally a flame-pit, this can be a useful
and informative place (I withhold judgement on friendly).

"Yiff" is either the sound someone makes when they're feeling,
um, amorously friendly, thus giving rise to such phrases as 'eminently
yiffable." It's also been described as an acronym for "Young,
Intelligent, F*ckable/Friendly, Fox(y)," and you can make of that what
you will.

Elf

--
Elf M. Sternberg, rational romantic mystical cynical idealist
e...@halcyon.com: A Decade of Usenet: On-line since August 18, 1988

I have looked into the abyss, and the abyss has looked into me.
Neither liked what we saw.
--- Brother Theodore

BR

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98

Here we go again,folks!

--
"Programming today is a race between software engineers
striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,

Dr. Cat

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Amy 'Amara' Pronovost (am...@flyingarmadillo.com) wrote:
: I'd be more inclined to point a newbie to http://yerf.com

: Too much sex on Furnation, if someone had pointed me there when I fist
: found this group, I would have waved a hand and gone 'See-ya later,
: guys!'.

: Introduce people to the clean stuff first ;)

I'd say "introduce them to the stuff that they like first". Whether that
be G rated, risque, smutty, or whatever. If you don't know what they
like, either ask or show them the clean stuff to be safe. But I would
prefer to avoid a blanket statement of "show everyone such-and-such first".
If you know they like a different kind of thing than you like, and you
know where they could find some to look at, tell them about that first.

Philcon is November 13th through the 15th this year. There was indeed a
fair-sized furry contingent last year when I went (can't make it this
year, though). Info is at http://www.philcon.com/

*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*
Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions || Free alpha test:
*-------------------------------------------** http://www.bga.com/furcadia
Furcadia - a new graphic mud for PCs! || Let your imagination soar!
*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*

(Disclaimer: Not all of furry fandom is similar in tone and character to
alt.fan.furry. In fact, most of it is very different from here. Be sure
to look around some of the other parts before making any final judgements!)

(P. S. Welcome aboard!)

S. arsenault

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Amy 'Amara' Pronovost wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:45:02 GMT, doo...@cheezies.primenet.com
> (Doodles) was chased around by rabid Ewoks for posting this drivel!
>

> >One of the best sites to start from is www.furnation.com, which hosts
> >a number of artist pages as well as links to other furry places.
>
> I'd be more inclined to point a newbie to http://yerf.com

yeh!
have a snackie cake, Fox-Shark! :D

> Introduce people to the clean stuff first ;)

..no comment... :)

--

S. arsenault
Yerf

AllanGldmn

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <eoeC1.571$bZ6.8...@typhoon01.swbell.net>, "Ash"
<_Mart...@yahoo.com> writes:

>can you say fan boy?....

There's another one here?? COOL! I thought I was the only one!

Welcome to AFF, William! Just ignore the trolls (troublemakers who ask
questions like "Can you say fanboy?" on a group were furry comic fans are
welcome) and keep your head low if a war breaks out. We've been know to fight
like cats and dogs around here.

Al Goldman

Doodles

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:12:05 GMT, am...@flyingarmadillo.com (Amy
'Amara' Pronovost) wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:45:02 GMT, doo...@cheezies.primenet.com
>(Doodles) was chased around by rabid Ewoks for posting this drivel!
>>
>>One of the best sites to start from is www.furnation.com, which hosts
>>a number of artist pages as well as links to other furry places.
>
>I'd be more inclined to point a newbie to http://yerf.com

I'd have thought of Yerf if I still wasn't waiting for the coffee to
kick in this morning. Yes, another good site. Then there's the
FurRing and Velar.

Unca Spooge, tossing chocolate coins. =};-3

Doodles

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
On 18 Aug 98 21:26:05 GMT, c...@bga.com (Dr. Cat) wrote:

>I'd say "introduce them to the stuff that they like first". Whether that
>be G rated, risque, smutty, or whatever. If you don't know what they
>like, either ask or show them the clean stuff to be safe. But I would
>prefer to avoid a blanket statement of "show everyone such-and-such first".
>If you know they like a different kind of thing than you like, and you
>know where they could find some to look at, tell them about that first.

Actually, judging from his original post, Amara's right. Everything
he mentioned was G or PG material. In his case, Yerf _would_ be the
better starting point.

Unca Spooge, paying attention to how this thread started...

Skytech

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Bob "Rac Cooney" Nelson wrote:

> I originally thought it meant "you're into furry fandom" but have since
> found out
> at least two of its meanings: a)it's a sound foxes make, or b) it stands
> for
> "You're an Incredibly Fuckable Fellow/Female".

Of course I prefer "Young Incredibly Fuckable Fox", I don't know why. :)

It relates to sensuality and/or sexuality in a furry context. Kinda 'R'
rated.
--
La kashigada vulpo
Skytech

^^
<@@>
./

http://www.flash.net/~tsmiar/skytech.html

Skytech

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Chama wrote:

> So, what's _your_ definition ?

Old gypsy fortune-telling line: You Instantly Find Fame!"

--
La kashigada vulpo
Skytech

^^
<@@>
.]

http://www.flash.net/~tsmiar/skytech.html

Skytech

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Dr. Cat wrote:

> Philcon is November 13th through the 15th this year. There was indeed a
> fair-sized furry contingent last year when I went (can't make it this
> year, though). Info is at http://www.philcon.com/

Thanks for the addy! I went there years ago out of curiosity and
accidentally discovered Furtasticon '94. Haven't been able to get to it
since but I'll make the try this year again. Will there be an actual
furry area or is it 'you'll know'em when you see'um'?

Hope to meet others there!

--
La kashigada vulpo
Skytech

^^
<@@>
./

http://www.flash.net/~tsmiar/skytech.html

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <35DA224E...@ix.netcom.com>, Skytech <sky...@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

> Of course I prefer "Young Incredibly Fuckable Fox", I don't know why. :)

When I was introduced to the term at CF4, it was Young Intelligent Fuckable
Fox.

I didn't know then that it was a signal of the End Times. :-)

--
"I don't believe in Guns."
"I Do! I've actually seen one!"

Ron Orr... & Tirran

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Richard Chandler - WA Resident <mau...@gte.net> wrote:

> When I was introduced to the term at CF4, it was Young Intelligent Fuckable
> Fox.
>
> I didn't know then that it was a signal of the End Times. :-)

That's cuz the section of Revelations where the word 'yiff'
appears was edited out and placed in the Apocrypha. Originally only
high-ranking cardinals (and fuckable foxes, of course) knew its true
meaning until recently.
Amazing what you can find in the 'furry' section of the Vatican
library, innit?

Ron
part-time bible scholar

Lucas

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Luke? <dogw...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<35dbc82a...@news.csun.edu>...

Yow! Did I post something and didn't notice??? Ok, calm down, whew, I
guess I haven't been "sleep-netting".

Seriously I was startled to see the name Luke (Mine is Lucas) attached to
a message in this group, but I guess I'm Ok now. I've had too much
experience on the net to be shocked very long by someone with the same
name! :)

bdy...@network.boxmail.com

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <980818224...@mauser.at.gte.net>,

Richard Chandler - WA Resident <mau...@gte.net> wrote:
>In article <35DA224E...@ix.netcom.com>, Skytech <sky...@ix.netcom.com>
>writes:
>> Of course I prefer "Young Incredibly Fuckable Fox", I don't know why. :)
>
>When I was introduced to the term at CF4, it was Young Intelligent Fuckable
>Fox.
>
>I didn't know then that it was a signal of the End Times. :-)

If nobody else has it, I think I've got the etymology of the term around
here somewhere (originally part of Foxen's Foxish language, its current
meaning was acquired gradually through usage).

For that matter, it'd probably be worth putting this in the FAQ.

--
Brian Dysart | Ours is not to reason why...
bdy...@rahul.net | "...and eight for the fruit bat."

Ash

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
I knew you could.... =)

AllanGldmn wrote in message
<199808182257...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Peter da Silva

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
In article <980818224...@mauser.at.gte.net>,
Richard Chandler - WA Resident <mau...@gte.net> wrote:
>I didn't know then that it was a signal of the End Times. :-)

Oh lord...

It's The Furry Rapture!

(all the animals get taken away bodily to heaven, and we all have to become
vegetarians!)

--
This is The Reverend Peter da Silva's Boring Sig File - there are no references
to Wolves, Kibo, Discordianism, or The Church of the Subgenius in this document

> We must make sure our momentum aligns with our value-added distribution! <

Doodles

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
On 20 Aug 1998 06:58:16 -0500, pe...@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
wrote:

>In article <980818224...@mauser.at.gte.net>,
>Richard Chandler - WA Resident <mau...@gte.net> wrote:
>>I didn't know then that it was a signal of the End Times. :-)
>
>Oh lord...
>
>It's The Furry Rapture!
>
>(all the animals get taken away bodily to heaven, and we all have to become
> vegetarians!)

Speaking as a professional rabbit, I don't see the problem. =};-3

Unca Spooge, bunny as anything.

Peter da Silva

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
In article <35df269a...@news.primenet.com>,

Doodles <doo...@cheezies.primenet.com> wrote:
>On 20 Aug 1998 06:58:16 -0500, pe...@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
>wrote:
>>It's The Furry Rapture!

>>(all the animals get taken away bodily to heaven, and we all have to become
>> vegetarians!)

>Speaking as a professional rabbit, I don't see the problem. =};-3

This would make a better plot for All Dogs Go To Heaven III than that thing
with the demon in Alcatraz. "What do you mean, we're goin' RIGHT NOW!??"

Bob "Rac Cooney" Nelson

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
The Furry EndTimes--
Church of the ShrubGenius:"Eternal Salivation Or Triple Your Money Back"

Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com> wrote in article
<6rh30o$j...@bonkers.taronga.com>...
> In article <980818224...@mauser.at.gte.net>,
>
> Oh lord...

Nate Patrin

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

Somebody (I forget who) wrote:

> > Oh lord...
> >
> > It's The Furry Rapture!

WARNING: In case of rapture, this newsgroup will be unoccupied.

--
-Nate Patrin
"Will I be drawing these damn rabbits forever?" -Matt Groening, 1990

Don Sanders

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <01bdce4c$cf7c2d20$83db96ce@n8rich>, "Nate Patrin" <n8r...@pioneerplanet.infi.spammers.smoke.crack.net> wrote:

>Somebody (I forget who) wrote:
>
>> > Oh lord...
>> >
>> > It's The Furry Rapture!
>
>WARNING: In case of rapture, this newsgroup will be unoccupied.

Gee, you mean I will be here all alone??

(A chow who lives on the edge of both worlds)

Don Sanders

Dsan Tsan on #furry of Yiffnet
Artist at Roll Yer Own Graphics
http://www.dreamscape.com/dsand101/dsan.htm
(my furry page) Email dsan...@future.dreamscape.com

Paul R. Bennett

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

Don Sanders wrote:

Err.. Probably not. A fox with an admittedly short temper (and acid tongue) will
probably still be around to.

Paul
(aforesaid fox)