End of Furnet?

Kyle Fox

Mar 29, 2004, 1:55:21 PM3/29/04
So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.

Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?

- Kay

--
http://kayfox.org/
contact info: http://kayfox.org/contact.html

Matthew Cegielka

Mar 29, 2004, 2:20:52 PM3/29/04
Kyle Fox wrote:

> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>
> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?
>
> - Kay

No. There's been no talk from the other admins of unlinking the other
servers from each other, and they're trying to pull things back
together, so it seems furnet will continue minus one server.

--
Matthew Cegielka
http://www.floof.co.uk

Kyle Fox

Mar 29, 2004, 3:40:13 PM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:59:18 -0800, Kyle Fox wrote:

> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>
> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?

linkage
http://www.chameleon.net/tiger/

Kyle Fox

Mar 29, 2004, 3:42:26 PM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:20:52 +0100, Matthew Cegielka wrote:

> Kyle Fox wrote:
>
>> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
>> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>>
>> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?

> No. There's been no talk from the other admins of unlinking the other

> servers from each other, and they're trying to pull things back
> together, so it seems furnet will continue minus one server.

But Furnet is down from four servers in only a month. Tiger also was one
of the more popular servers (being the main one for the US, Margay was
supposed to be in Austrailia) and the one that ran services.

Matthew Cegielka

Mar 29, 2004, 3:48:50 PM3/29/04
> But Furnet is down from four servers in only a month. Tiger also
was one
> of the more popular servers (being the main one for the US, Margay was
> supposed to be in Austrailia) and the one that ran services.

Tiger still runs services for panther and margay, and those are now
active on those servers until they're transferred to another.

It's too early yet to be making judgment on the future of the network.
Seems a lot of people are now connecting to AnthroChat, but they may
still be connecting to furnet as well.

It's not been that long since the delinking, let's give it a few days at
least.

Spirou

Mar 29, 2004, 10:27:20 PM3/29/04
In article <pan.2004.03.29....@kayfox.org>,
Kyle Fox <spam...@kayfox.org> wrote:

> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>
> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?
>
> - Kay

Will see. Furnet keeps Margay and Panther, and Anthrochat adds Tiger to
itself, probably siphoning a lot of people out of Furnet, who are
friends with Anthrochat/Tiger's owners, in the process,...

Just Furry Politics in action. Give it a couple months for the dust to
settle, then check again.

Juergen Rosskamp

Mar 29, 2004, 10:31:01 PM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:55:21 GMT, Kyle Fox <spam...@kayfox.org> wrote:

>So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
>delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>
>Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?

Actually, I see this as the cleansing of the network. It somehow was time to do
a sewage purge anyways, the network was smelling rotten anyhow.

However, go ahead and blame Simba for driving Aeto away... attached is a little
thing for the group's amusement - folks beware, that's what happens when
"admins" go nuts:

(taken from
http://www.cimeris.com/~simba/furnet/adminlist-snowponybickering.txt), cleverly
disguised in a by-sentence in the larger "Snowpony suxx0rz" rambling that has
been made public previously.)

|-ChanServ(serv...@irc.furnet.org)- Channel #aryanfurs has been forbidden
|-ChanServ(serv...@irc.furnet.org)- Removed due to racist topics

| OH ASSHOLE!!! HOW THE FUCK DARE YOU?!?!?
|
| The topic ___HAD___ been set to something without any offensive terms
|in it. If someone is offended by the terms "black people" and "jews",
|they need a fucking kick in the teeth to knock some sense into them. If I
|EVER see you, I might kick you in the teeth just on principal of "you're
|fucking stupid and can't conduct yourself using your wits alone." I
|wouldn't feel bad about having a fist fight with a lady either, 'cause
|everyone knows you weren't always a lady. It'd be a good ol'fashioned
|brawl. BRING IT!
|
| FUUUCK I'm so mad I can't see straight.
|
| We have this friendly debate about the content of the channel topic.
|Hurga FINALLY brings up a good point. I concede and make it so that only
|I can set the topic and set it to something that DOESN'T have any remarks
|about collaborating to perform illegal activities or contain offensive
|terms, such as "Nigger" and "kike", and you take action ANYWAY?! CONTROL
|FREAK! POWER HUNGRY! ASSHOLLLLEEEE! FUUUCKKKKK!!!!!!!!! And instead of
|taking it up with ME, you go bully the people in the channel who are
|powerless to make any changes and are just there having FRIENDLY CHAT.
|You go there and THREATEN them with AKILLS (something which is a VERY LAST
|RESORT and you use like it's water). You're insane. You're a bully.
|You're the filth of the Internet. You suck. You're worthless. I hate
|you. You're a fucking cunt! You're like the kids in high school who pick
|on other kids and make them feel worthless. You're a cheap, lying,
|no-good, rotten, far flushing, low-life, snake licking, dirt-eating,
|inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless,
|dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-assed, bug-eyed, stiff-legged,
|spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit! What .. the .. FUCK?!
|Are you CONSTANTLY on the rag, bitch, or what?
|
| You didn't even let 24 hours go by between your question to the list
|and when you took your action. Jesus fuck! That's it. I'm taking action
|immediately too. I'm re-registering the channel and setting yet another
|good topic which doesn't include any illegal remarks. You dont't have an
|O: line on my server any more either. If I can figure out how to jupiter
|yours, I'm doing it. MAYHEM! WAR! I couldn't remove you from the
|services admin list for some reason. Dammit! You need to be, though,
|because you can't conduct yourself in a reasonable manner toward the users
|of this network. You add akills at the drop of a hat. You go and forbid
|channels because of topic content. You are NOT FIT TO BE AN ADMINISTRATOR
|OF ANY NETWORK AND I WANT YOU OFF OF THIS ONE!

|---

|Scott 'Simba' Garron
|si...@pridelands.org

Spirou

Mar 29, 2004, 10:46:25 PM3/29/04
In article <c4apm9$2gmtp0$1...@ID-198673.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Juergen Rosskamp <gebrau...@datengrab.org> wrote:

> However, go ahead and blame Simba for driving Aeto away...

Juergen,...Nobody has EVEN mentioned Simba, or ANYTHING about "Simba
driving Aeto away" in ANY of the prior seven posts,...

...Wait until somebody suggests "something" before refuting "it,", will
ya?.

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with massive diarrhea,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

Juergen Rosskamp

Mar 29, 2004, 11:11:17 PM3/29/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:46:25 GMT, Spirou <spi...@spam.nothanks.net> wrote:

> Juergen,...Nobody has EVEN mentioned Simba, or ANYTHING about "Simba
>driving Aeto away" in ANY of the prior seven posts,...
>
> ...Wait until somebody suggests "something" before refuting "it,", will
>ya?.

You seem to have misunderstood my post.
I *do* blame Simba for driving Aetobatus away, thus creating the current mess
that the leftovers of furnet now are. I don't have to wait until somebody
"suggests" what already is my opionion, do I?

The whole mess between an overzealous oper (Snowpony) abusing their rights and
an obviously retarded oper who didn't take his pills and took everything
personal (Simba) is what is to blame for the demise of the network.

Albeit Aeto's server shouldn't engage in active user harvesting like it
currently does..the tiger.furnet.org entry shuld be deleted at the very least.

Ah, well... here in good Old Europe, we have a stable server up and running
since 1995 without any major problems.. I wonder why?

*kicks back and gets some popcorn*

Spirou

Mar 29, 2004, 11:57:10 PM3/29/04
In article <c4as1o$2gss7u$1...@ID-198673.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Juergen Rosskamp <gebrau...@datengrab.org> wrote:

> You seem to have misunderstood my post.
> I *do* blame Simba for driving Aetobatus away, thus creating the current mess
> that the leftovers of furnet now are. I don't have to wait until somebody
> "suggests" what already is my opionion, do I?

Ooops, sorry fer that. It sounded like you were directing the "Go ahead
and blame Simba for driving Aeto away..." to "somebody" as actually
meaning "Go ahead, try to insinuate that this IS Simba's fault..."

My bad. >.<

Kyle Webb

Mar 30, 2004, 1:11:23 AM3/30/04

"Kyle Fox" <spam...@kayfox.org> wrote in message

> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>
> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?
>
> - Kay

Hardly. Yiffnet/furnet has gone through several schisms over the years and
still survived.

Kyle L. Webb
Hartree Fox on Furnet IRC
(and yiffnet since late 95)

Dan Skunk

Mar 30, 2004, 5:55:49 AM3/30/04
I don't see how splitting up the network over a dispute between a handfull
of users helps the community at all.

This could all have been avoided by clearly writing out a set of rules for
server owners to understand and agree to follow *before* they are allowed to
link to the network.

Hopefully someone will figure this out eventually so we can have a more
stable and smoothly run network where things like this don't happen.

Brian W. Antoine

Mar 30, 2004, 1:12:53 PM3/30/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:11:23 GMT, "Kyle Webb"
<har...@n.o.s.p.a.mconcentric.net> wrote:

>"Kyle Fox" <spam...@kayfox.org> wrote in message
>> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
>> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>>
>> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?
>>
>> - Kay
>
>Hardly. Yiffnet/furnet has gone through several schisms over the years and
>still survived.

And if it looked like Furry IRC was in danger of vanishing completly
I could probably be talked into bringing up irc.yiffnet.org again, though
I'd probably want to find one of my fellow "old farts" to assume admin
duties for it.

Iller

Mar 31, 2004, 12:02:43 AM3/31/04

"Kyle Fox" <spam...@kayfox.org> wrote in message
> So, according to Aeto's latest port to the furnet-user list, Tiger is
> delinking, leaving Margay and Panther.
>
> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?
>
> - Kay

Does anyone with a real life give a darn?

Erik Mouse

Mar 31, 2004, 2:44:51 AM3/31/04

"Juergen Rosskamp" <gebrau...@datengrab.org> wrote in message

For some reason I have the feeling that I don't agree with parts of Simba's
post there.

--
Erik Mouse

"I'm very kind, and easy to please! I'll be your furiend, if you give me
some cheese!"
ICQ #: 89420836
AIM: ErikMouse
Yahoo! Messenger: erikmouse
MSN Messenger: erik...@hotmail.com
Furry IRC Server: irc://palace.homedns.org:6667
Places of Interest: http://www.ursine.ca/~erikmouse/links.htm
Disclaimer: Please don't be taking from this mouse's *.sig file. It is a
*.sig that I have created myself and sometimes I don't like it being
misused.
Fur Code: FRMfs3acw/CFfs3fsw A- C- Dm++ H++ M P++ R- T W Z !S RLCT a cn+ d-
e f+ h* iwf+++ j+ p+ !s

Dan Skunk

Mar 31, 2004, 6:12:00 AM3/31/04

"Chris Baird" <ab...@brushtail.apana.org.au> wrote in message

> > I don't see how splitting up the network over a dispute between a
> > handfull of users helps the community at all.
>
> Why not? An actively maintained Furnet2 would be a good thing, except
> to any whingers mindlessly 'loyal' to Furnet1.

You'll inevitably split users between the two networks. It's better to have
everyone on one network. More people to chat with. Less trouble finding
people.

It's also easier to join one network than to join 2 or 3 to get all the
channels you want. Right now, one channel I use is on one side and one on
the other.

Not much to do with being "mindlessly loyal." Not everyone's going to be
following all the politics between ircops or care to much about it. They
just want the thing to work well.

> > This could all have been avoided by clearly writing out a set of
> > rules for server owners to understand and agree to follow *before*
> > they are allowed to link to the network.
>

> I put it down more to the furadmin failing to keep the original
> 'cabal' community going. For years there's been off-charter abuse
> posted to the fur.* newsgroups, but none of the furadmin could be
> bothered exercising their due authority. ("They _will_ be cancelled
> by hand." *cough*.)

"Off charter"?

Dan Skunk

Mar 31, 2004, 5:03:20 PM3/31/04

"Erik Mouse" <erik...@dont-spam-me.101.31.km-we6site.com> wrote in message

> For some reason I have the feeling that I don't agree with parts of
Simba's
> post there.

Just having the word "Aryan" in the name is probably grounds for the channel
being banned if there is a policy against racism. That word is commonly
associated with white supremacists. It's highly unlikely that "black
people" and "jews" are going to appear in a topic without there being some
racist content.

Simba should not have been surprised if the channel got banned.

I can understand Hurga and Snowpony taking offence to such activities on
their network, but I think akilling the user list is too extreme. Such
action should be reserved for users who continue to violate rules after
multiple warnings and bans.

There should be some proceedure in place for dealing with such things....

Dan Skunk

Mar 31, 2004, 5:05:51 PM3/31/04

"Iller" <i...@bbwest.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone with a real life give a darn?

Yes. I've been using that network to talk to people. Having it split is
not very convienient.

Using IRC does not mean you don't have a life.

Dan Skunk

Mar 31, 2004, 8:29:58 PM3/31/04

> Ignore my message. I'd thought everyone was talking about the Furnet
> fur.* newsgroups, not the Furnet IRC network that I'd never heard of
> before (*whine* trademark violationnnn!!!)

Hehe.

I was kinda wondering about that fur.* analogy.

Not an analogy at all. :P

Juergen Rosskamp

Apr 1, 2004, 12:12:02 PM4/1/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:02:43 -0800, "Iller" <i...@bbwest.net> wrote:

>> Anyone else see this as the end of the Furnet IRC network?
>

>Does anyone with a real life give a darn?

It's quite ironic to see *that* posted in a newsgroup. :)

Erik Mouse

Apr 2, 2004, 12:02:46 AM4/2/04

Dan Skunk

Apr 2, 2004, 4:22:45 PM4/2/04

"Erik Mouse" <erik...@dont-spam-me.101.32.km-we6site.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, unless they started doing channels on the network that were
> like #fur.*

lol

Gives the mouse some cheese.

timeisnow

Apr 5, 2004, 3:00:23 AM4/5/04
When I was with the furdom, I used to frequent the channels. But for
much of the reasons stated (political conflicts and the like), I just
left. It's not much fun when you can't address who you are without
getting canned for it in the first place.

Thought i'd drop by and put my .02.

timeisnow2004
back in lurk mode.