Anthrocon 2005 = Awesomecon!

1 view

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen

Jul 13, 2005, 9:35:33 PM7/13/05
[x-posted from my LiveJournal: http://xydexx.livejournal.com ]

Wow. Folks are already referring to Anthrocon 2005 as "Awesomecon." How
cool is that? -:)

I figure I'll do my AC Report in bite-size chunks rather than all at
once, that way I might actually finish writing it. Also, please excuse
any typos. I'll fix them later.

Anyway. The hotel. Y'know, despite all the concern we had over the
hotel pre-con, I think things went surprisingly smoothly. Rigel and I
checked in Wednesday evening. Hotel staff was very friendly and
helpful. Our room, I must admit, was nicer than the one at our former
venue the Adams Mark. (We got a suite: Room 1002, waaay at the end of
the hall.)

Yeah, the elevator broke down once or twice. We use the elevators more
than most conventions, though, so it was bound to happen. Maintenance
was pretty good about fixing them within a reasonable time.

Speaking of elevators... the layout the Masquerade involved bringing
fursuiters up from the Mezzanine level via the freight elevator, and
then down the back service corridor to the Ballroom. Once we got folks
queued up, however, things went well and we didn't have any gaps. Big
thanks to Kellic J. Tiger, JBadger, Mrianti, creature, Zenwolph, and
Tango for helping Rigel out backstage!

Folks seem to have heeded Uncle Kage's Tips For Convention Goers[1] on
tipping etiquitte. Housekeeping seemed especially happy when I saw
them.

I think folks will be pleased to know that the hotel had very nice
things to say about us. They said they didn't know what to expect, but
said overall our attendees were very polite and very well-behaved. (I
heard some of the staff even bought memberships so they could buy art
in the art auction.)

It didn't seem like folks had many complaints about the hotel at all.
Maybe folks were just glad we were actually able to have a convention
this year and realized it was only a temporary solution. Things were a
little crowded, considering the Wyndham had less function space than
the Adams Mark, but it actually wasn't as bad as I had expected. We had
slightly less attendees than last year I think mainly due to the
hurricane in the South, which may have been a blessing in disguise
considering the smaller space.

Next year, however, we'll have more room than we know what to do with.
And if you thought the Wyndham was nice, wait until you see the swank
digs we've got for 2006! (Rigel tells me the hotel we were in this year
ranked 1.5 out of 5 stars on a travel website... the one we're going to
next year is 4 out of 5 stars. We stayed there personally during the
site visit, and agree. Very nice!)

Anyway, that's it for now. More reports and pictures soon.

[1] Tips For Convention Goers:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/unclekage/17072.html

--
http://www.xydexx.com
http://xydexx.livejournal.com

mouse

Jul 14, 2005, 3:07:25 AM7/14/05
"Karl Xydexx Jorgensen" <xyd...@aol.com> wrote in

> Next year, however, we'll have more room than we know what to do with.
> And if you thought the Wyndham was nice, wait until you see the swank
> digs we've got for 2006! (Rigel tells me the hotel we were in this year
> ranked 1.5 out of 5 stars on a travel website... the one we're going to
> next year is 4 out of 5 stars. We stayed there personally during the
> site visit, and agree. Very nice!)

Being so close, I might show up next year :)

"I hate to say this... but this place is getting to me. I think I'm
getting the Fear."

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus)

Jul 14, 2005, 4:05:20 AM7/14/05
On 13 Jul 2005 18:35:33 -0700, Karl Xydexx Jorgensen <xyd...@aol.com>
wrote:
[...]

Wow, sometimes I forget that the US is a totally diffrent culture to
my own. Its reminds me of uni and learning when it was approprate to
bribe people in asian cultures.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

M. Mitchell Marmel

Jul 14, 2005, 5:43:08 AM7/14/05
In article <Xns96931F6...@66.36.229.185>,
mouse <mo...@blackvault.com> wrote:

> Being so close, I might show up next year :)

Cool! Be sure and look me up. I'll be in the Cinema Anthrocon, or
whatever we decide to rename the video room so's it don't get confused
with the DDR parlor.

> "I hate to say this... but this place is getting to me. I think I'm
> getting the Fear."

"Don't stop! This is Bat Country!"

-MMM-